Football Manager 2014 - Update 14.2.2 - Feedback Thread

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think id enjoy this game more, if it were more of a challenge in the long run. Its still a case of once you get past the first 4/5 seasons it just becomes too easy. AI transfers have improved to a point, but you still see the AI throwing away huge money on distinctly average players. Im at the point where im struggling to keep my own interest after 5 years as im so far ahead of the AI its unreal. The only exception in this years version being a team who had a tycoon take over. When it come to Celtic i have a stadium half their size, a much smaller reputation, a wage budget half of theirs, yet im comfortably better than them. It just grates after a while.

I long for a time when the AI is much more advanced.

Yep, apart from the poor ME, this is the other massive turn off with FM. Even if you are an average manager, after 4 or 5 seasons you can have build a world beating side quite easily. The AI has no idea what they are doing in terms of building a squad, and NEVER have in FM

SI seriously need to just focus on improving the ME and seriously overhauling the AI in terms of squad building and pretty much just their intelligence as the name suggests. Common SI!!!!

And its not just about being easy for us users to build a good squad. Its all about what the AI does.

I keep seeing big clubs signing average unknown players for big fees and a season later they are playing in the reserves and are transfer listed. Horrible.

Yep, apart from the poor ME, this is the other massive turn off with FM. Even if you are an average manager, after 4 or 5 seasons you can have build a world beating side quite easily. The AI has no idea what they are doing in terms of building a squad, and NEVER have in FM

SI seriously need to just focus on improving the ME and seriously overhauling the AI in terms of squad building and pretty much just their intelligence as the name suggests. Common SI!!!!

While I agree with this partly, surely it'd be dependent on which team you play as?

It's easy to say you can assemble a world beating team in 4-5 seasons if you play as Liverpool or Chelsea, or even a top ten team in any European league.

Why not try doing it with a Norwegian third tier team and see how long it takes to conquer the world? Or even a Slovenian team?

The challenge is there, if you look outside the top two divisions!

While I agree with this partly, surely it'd be dependent on which team you play as?

It's easy to say you can assemble a world beating team in 4-5 seasons if you play as Liverpool or Chelsea, or even a top ten team in any European league.

Why not try doing it with a Norwegian third tier team and see how long it takes to conquer the world? Or even a Slovenian team?

The challenge is there, if you look outside the top two divisions!

Exactly. I sympathise with those who complain that within a few years, the AI can't touch you, but only if you stay at the same, top-level club. If you play a journeyman, or start lower, that's a vastly reduced problem.

I dont think we should hold much hope of AI being developed to a point of being able to compete with us for the time being. No one has been able to delivery an AI to compete with a human on a computer game so far and i dont see that changing any time soon.

I think a realistic target is that the AI manages to maintain the original quality of the team.

I have said before that in order for them to actually improve their teams, they'll need to have long- and short-term plans for transfers (for instance twice a year) which are then executed in the next window. Two men goes, two men comes. The benefit is that the AI clubs no longer end up with a full squad of 35-year-olds, and that they are more willing to spend to get the right player. The drawback is that such a robotic behaviour is unwanted in general in FM. I could live with that drawback if the end result was better, IIRC you would not - among others. Nevertheless I think this is a decision that SI is bound to make eventually. Squad Building logic of an AI cannot include opportunism and intelligent decision-making for thousands of clubs with millions of parameters while remaining competitive with a human - I think the pinnacle of AI development in FM has already been reached as long as the decision to not make a change to the line-up remains the least intrusive decision and therefore the favoured one. The transfer market will therefore remain stale and actual squad-strengthening signings remain rare for the foreseeable future.

Exactly. I sympathise with those who complain that within a few years, the AI can't touch you, but only if you stay at the same, top-level club. If you play a journeyman, or start lower, that's a vastly reduced problem.

Speaking of which, once you're settled at a club, you're pretty much untouchable anyways. Board takeovers cleaning "old dust" has never happened to me personally, or the club deciding it was time to part ways and replace me with a manager of higher stature, or similar. I know it's supposed to be a game and fun and by far the most popular mode of play seems to be taking obscure clubs (or your favourite) and sticking with it for a hundred seasons. But after a while in most cases the boards are set up in a way real managers can only dream about. So of course as a human player you never feel pushed to consider spending your budget on the long-term (i.e. young talent), as short-term your job is often just not much up for debate.

Coupled with the AI not catching up, a save often is but a test in patience unless you get the sack early. That is for club management, naturally. An international manager has to work with what he's given. And for clubs, depending on the club and country, eventually you'll hit a ceiling (reputation, etc.). But more likely you'll hit it at some point, if it exists. The entire argument that picking clubs to a large extent would determine difficulty has always been moot, except that it was made harder gradually to bolster lower league squads, which historically has not been not much trouble at all. It had never been a matter of difficulty, rather of time and patience.

Yeah if you move around its not so bad, you end up re-building the AI squads they put together, but i like spending 50 years managing Aberdeen. Im now stuck at 10 seasons and struggling to keep myself interested as my squad and my future squad is just so much better than the rest of the leagues, and thats with me selling off my top players each year to try and keep my squad quality down. :(

Speaking of which, once you're settled at a club, you're pretty much untouchable anyways. Board takeovers cleaning "old dust" has never happened to me personally, or similar. I know it's supposed to be a game and fun and by far the most popular mode of play seems to be taking obscure clubs (or your favourite) and sticking with it for a hundred seasons. But after a while in most cases the boards are set up in a way real managers can only dream about. So of course as a human player you never feel pushed to consider spending your budget on the long-term (i.e. young talent), as short-term your job is often just not much up for debate.

Id agree, there is just not enough pressure from the board in the game. I know its a game and has to keep things to a certain degree, but id like the board to come to you after a few years and ask where your going to take the club from there, if they dont agree they replace you. Or just something that means you have to keep the board happy to keep your job in the long run.

Yeah if you move around its not so bad, you end up re-building the AI squads they put together, but i like spending 50 years managing Aberdeen. Im now stuck at 10 seasons and struggling to keep myself interested as my squad and my future squad is just so much better than the rest of the leagues, and thats with me selling off my top players each year to try and keep my squad quality down. :(

This is why I go down the journeman route. Change brings a new challenge.

Having said that, having won the title by nine points with Benfica in my first season with them (2017/18), I then managed to blow an eight point lead in the second campaign and finish five points behind Porto. Whoops. :D

Having said that, having won the title by nine points with Benfica in my first season with them (2017/18), I then managed to blow an eight point lead in the second campaign and finish five points behind Porto. Whoops. :D

Again, and in no way is this meant as criticism of you, choosing Benfica is in my opinion an easy option. It's one I'd never choose. If I get a team to the top I always leave for a minnow to keep it interesting. Also nice to see how the team does when I leave.

I just find it so hard to leave a club! I dunno why, i get really attached to whoever im managing and resent moving onto another club and leaving behind my great squads!

I have played with the ME on both 2D and 3D and am quite disappointed. On 2D, the players skate around like ice skaters, no real traction/inertia in the way they move. On 3D, goals doesn't have a 'natural' feel to it - it feels like pinball at times, or strikers just streaked through on goal without the goalkeeper and defenders ever putting in an attempt to stop them.

In short, the ME is always 'bang bang bang' and before you know it, the ball is the back of the net.

It's a shame because most of the other things are well-designed - interface is cleaner, easier to switch from screen to screen, etc. If only these could be coupled with the FM11 ME (which I think is the most balanced in the series), that would be the perfect FM game for me.

Again, and in no way is this meant as criticism of you, choosing Benfica is in my opinion an easy option. It's one I'd never choose. If I get a team to the top I always leave for a minnow to keep it interesting. Also nice to see how the team does when I leave.

Well we all play differently. I like to treat it as a real manager would, as in I work up, not down.

Well we all play differently. I like to treat it as a real manager would, as in I work up, not down.

Ive done both before. In FM12 i think i had a great save starting at Wigan and then Hertha Berlin. By the time i left Wigan Hertha were mid table in the second German League, it was weird leaving a CL contender to a lower league German side, but it was good fun. Thats one of the few times ive been able to happily leave a club.

Any idea when the new update is coming? It's a BIT frustrating, that I haven't been able to play the game for a month now... The next (january transfer) update should fix my problem.

Why haven't you been able to play the game?

Ive done both before. In FM12 i think i had a great save starting at Wigan and then Hertha Berlin. By the time i left Wigan Hertha were mid table in the second German League, it was weird leaving a CL contender to a lower league German side, but it was good fun. Thats one of the few times ive been able to happily leave a club.

It's just not for me. I wouldn't go lower unless I was at a big club and sacked. Realistic me. :D

True, I've read through some of your career threads too and they are good. I just find them a little 'predictable'. The challenges faced with a tiny team are - in my opinion - far more interesting than with a giant. I love seeing a ground go from 3000 to 40000 and being filled! Only time I would join a 'giant' is if they had fallen down the divisions.

Not to brag, but ive only ever been sacked once, years ago. Id love it to happen so it would force me to move.

Me too. I was sacked once by B93, the b*stards. I wanted to get them back where they belong but the squad was poor. I was 4th in the league too so not doing too bad when they pulled the trigger. I too, like you get attached to a club. Although saying that, 15-20 seasons in I do start to get tempted by offers from clubs who aren't where they should be.

True, I've read through some of your career threads too and they are good. I just find them a little 'predictable'. The challenges faced with a tiny team are - in my opinion - far more interesting than with a giant. I love seeing a ground go from 3000 to 40000 and being filled! Only time I would join a 'giant' is if they had fallen down the divisions.

Aye predictable that I'd blow an eight point lead in the title race last season. :D

I do know what you mean, but as I say, I like to treat it like a real manager would. Onwards and upwards, etc.

Anyone else still having wingers shooting from corner of 18yd box, or from ridiculous angles even when instructed to cross from by line and shoot less often. Even got most midfielders shooting too often when team instruction is to play into the box and shoot less often, don't get me wrong, I'm still able to win but it gets really frustrating watching so many oppertunities being wasted from needles shots from around the 18 yard box instead of passing into the box itself.

Anyone else still having wingers shooting from corner of 18yd box, or from ridiculous angles even when instructed to cross from by line and shoot less often. Even got most midfielders shooting too often when team instruction is to play into the box and shoot less often, don't get me wrong, I'm still able to win but it gets really frustrating watching so many oppertunities being wasted from needles shots from around the 18 yard box instead of passing into the box itself.

I imagine it may be down to PPM's.

Speaking of challenges, I was thinking that a very realistic and cool way to make the game more challenging would be to get the transfers "out of the hands" of the actual manager. You would ask the board to sign an AML, give them a list of 5-6 players that you prefer, sorted according to preference and they will see if and how they can get one of them.

Of course it should be optional as I know that most people want to be in charge of transfers. But I'm completely certain it would make the game much more challenging and -to be honest- realistic :)

Speaking of challenges, I was thinking that a very realistic and cool way to make the game more challenging would be to get the transfers "out of the hands" of the actual manager. You would ask the board to sign an AML, give them a list of 5-6 players that you prefer, sorted according to preference and they will see if and how they can get one of them.

Of course it should be optional as I know that most people want to be in charge of transfers. But I'm completely certain it would make the game much more challenging and -to be honest- realistic :)

You can do that already, with a lot less control. Just let your director of football go off and do that. You can then marvel at the mix of dross and absolute dross that he brings in among the twelve wingers for a narrow team.

Me too. I was sacked once by B93, the b*stards. I wanted to get them back where they belong but the squad was poor. I was 4th in the league too so not doing too bad when they pulled the trigger. I too, like you get attached to a club. Although saying that, 15-20 seasons in I do start to get tempted by offers from clubs who aren't where they should be.

The only time ive been able to leave my beloved Aberdeen was when i saw Man Utd relegated to the championship with Rooney still there. I think that was FM10 or 11, it was just too good a chance to turn down, but i made a copy of the save and kept my Aberdeen one to go back to later :D I just cant leave the dons behind.

Aye predictable that I'd blow an eight point lead in the title race last season. :D

I do know what you mean, but as I say, I like to treat it like a real manager would. Onwards and upwards, etc.

Touche! I know what you mean in that sense, but the chances of you ever not qualifying for Europe, say, would be very small.

I think because you're obviously good at the game, there is a part of me which wants to see you take an absolute minnow to the top of the game. Would be very interesting.

The only time ive been able to leave my beloved Aberdeen was when i saw Man Utd relegated to the championship with Rooney still there. I think that was FM10 or 11, it was just too good a chance to turn down, but i made a copy of the save and kept my Aberdeen one to go back to later :D I just cant leave the dons behind.

I have a real affinity with the Danish League at the moment. I had a save with AaB and really missed it when it got to the point where it was crashing all the time. Took me ages to 'settle' at another club. I think I need therapy after realising what I just wrote. :D

I don't find a subject about this problem, so i open a new page. Robert Lewandowski, Cristian Benteke are my players at the game. But they don't score more than 20 goals in a season together. Because they can't score one to one, i can score with midfielder players not with Lewandowski and Benteke. Match engine is worst that i've played. I wrote that problem to Miles Jacobson and he sad that wrote the problem at this site. İnteresting pas errors is seen, for examle Wilshere can't dribble the ball Players shots go to touch, it is so absurd. We want a solution for these problems at february update. 14.2.2 can't solve it unfortunately

I dont think we should hold much hope of AI being developed to a point of being able to compete with us for the time being. No one has been able to delivery an AI to compete with a human on a computer game so far and i dont see that changing any time soon.

Have you any evidence at all to back this statement up or should it be taken as you said it so it must be true?

In 1996 Deep Blue became the first computer programme to defeat a reigning World Chess Champion and the technological advancements in AI since then have been incredible. I really don't see why your assumption that the AI able to compete on FM14 is years away. You're obviously a programmer so if you could explain why there isn't the physical power in the CPU to allow the AI to compute a limited number of actions( 50 per player?) * needs of the club( 50) - what's available at the club (50). That equation is obviously not correct but as is often pointed out this is primarily a game based on numbers in a spreadsheet, there is no nuances like human emotion hot coded into the software, nor no need to be. 1 think computers do far more efficiently than humans do is number crunch and to suggest that the AI in FM14 will be unable to do so 'anytime soon' with no evidence to support in seems rather defeatist.

Have you any evidence at all to back this statement up or should it be taken as you said it so it must be true?

In 1996 Deep Blue became the first computer programme to defeat a reigning World Chess Champion and the technological advancements in AI since then have been incredible. I really don't see why your assumption that the AI able to compete on FM14 is years away. You're obviously a programmer so if you could explain why there isn't the physical power in the CPU to allow the AI to compute a limited number of actions( 50 per player?) * needs of the club( 50) - what's available at the club (50). That equation is obviously not correct but as is often pointed out this is primarily a game based on numbers in a spreadsheet, there is no nuances like human emotion hot coded into the software, nor no need to be. 1 think computers do far more efficiently than humans do is number crunch and to suggest that the AI in FM14 will be unable to do so 'anytime soon' with no evidence to support in seems rather defeatist.

Chill man. I don't think he was being aggressive in his statement, it was just off the cuff by the looks of it.

I think to compare this to Chess is a little bit like comparing Apples to a Renault Clio. There are far more variables in Football than in Chess, which although is strategical, is really based on tactical moves which are clearly defined. Plus the pieces can only move in a certain way. Footballers can do so much more than only move diagonally or two spaces at a time. That movement may be interesting to see in football, once.

You can do that already, with a lot less control. Just let your director of football go off and do that. You can then marvel at the mix of dross and absolute dross that he brings in among the twelve wingers for a narrow team.

True, true.. But it can be a vastly improved feature in the future I imagine

You say the AI should be able to compete with a human, then say that there's no need for anything like human emotion to be coded in? Wit?

Using Deep Blue as an example is pretty ridiculous. Back then it was a massive thing, a sea change, totally agree with that, but nowadays any software house could probably build a pretty damn good chess player. It's a finite game, with a finite - although massive - set of moves. It's also one-on-one, and turn based. There is no human emotion needed, you just move pieces to where you think is best.

How exactly do you compare that to FM as a system? You mention number of actions per player, that's fine. But there's upwards of 50,000 players in a pretty standard large database. They have to work with x number of clubs, and x number of managers. That's an astronomically large number of variables. Of course, we have to deal with a system with that number of variables too, but we have the common sense to cut down that number to only those that matter to us. Programming that level of comprehension and common sense into a game that already has a pretty niche market, and small dev team compared to others, is miles off.

True, true.. But it can be a vastly improved feature in the future I imagine

Oh yeah, can't argue with that. It's definitely better in FM14 now you can fine-tune things. In FM13 it was rubbish, he would always go out and buy seven of the same position, despite you already being pretty well served to start with. It'll be no doubt improve d for FM15, and should hopefully be pretty solid since it'll be v3.0 of the feature technically.

Yes everything i say is 100000% fact, nothing is ever an opinion or an observation.

What the AI lacks and what we far exceed at is foresight. Until they program the FM AI to have that, we will ALWAYS be better.

And that raises another good point. Unless it's a learning system (which is so far away it seems impossible now) then whatever "intelligence" is built in, the user will just learn how to get around it. The AI will not, and again it'll be inferior.

And that raises another good point. Unless it's a learning system (which is so far away it seems impossible now) then whatever "intelligence" is built in, the user will just learn how to get around it. The AI will not, and again it'll be inferior.

Thats it. The only good AI's out there cheat in order to beat the human, any game like Rome or CIV or any game like that where the AI appears to compete does so because the AI can do things the human cannot. Build units quicker, mine resources quicker ect. You cannot offer the AI in FM cheats like that, not unless you start messing with the ME to favor the AI over human.

Your right as well, unless the AI learns how to beat each of us on an individual basis, then it will never win long term, you can program it to appear intelligent, but all that happens is we learn how to beat that, if you want actually intelligence you would be looking at a super computer from some time in the future.

Deep Blue was not the first computer program to defeat a human Chess Champion, but the first supercomputer to do that.

So you understand there's a vast difference between having a specifically-designed-to-calculate-a-billion-moves-ahead machine and using some CPU and RAM resources of an existing machine.

However generally AI is a big issue in gaming industry and could be a large discussion if we started it. I personally believe that the AI part of games has been neglected in comparison to graphics and/or gameplay. You can see a lot of games for funny examples...

I do agree wholeheartedly that it should be worked on and improved as it adds to the experience a lot, but to expect the equivalent of Deep Blue or something close to that, is utopic to say the least :)

In FM12, I was offered Liverpool and AC Milan after around 11 seasons at Hibs. I saved the Hibs game and took the Milan job, it didn't feel right and quit the Milan job after 2 seasons and went back to carry on with the Hibs save, I carried on for a further 10 seasons at Hibs and became a legend there as a result. :D

In FM12, I was offered Liverpool and AC Milan after around 11 seasons at Hibs. I saved the Hibs game and took the Milan job, it didn't feel right and quit the Milan job after 2 seasons and went back to carry on with the Hibs save, I carried on for a further 10 seasons at Hibs and became a legend there as a result. :D

Nooooo!! That shouldn't be allowed! :)

I did much the same, i took United back to the EPL and got quickly bored, went back to the Aberdeen save and did another 15 seasons :)

I am trying really hard to get myself to leave Aberdeen this time around, and ive twice taken over other clubs only to go back after a day to my Aberdeen team, something about not progressing my young players really upsets me.

something about not progressing my young players really upsets me.

I planned on leaving my current club, and then, what do you know, my youth intake contains a "best of his generation" player. I don't think I can leave that opportunity behind. *******s.

Nooooo!! That shouldn't be allowed! :)

Hahaha no way I was giving up dozens of hours developing Hibs into one of Scotlands top teams, champions league semi's etc just to ignore them, I was curious how the Italian league would work out, got bored and went back to my beloved Hibs, I wish I'd accepted the Liverpool job instead as I'm more familiar with the workings of EPL.

The point was that any decent home PC running a top-level chess engine would be able to at least compete with Deep Blue thanks to the technology advances in accordance with Moore's Law. Forameuss jumped to your defence with some attack on me based on conjecture and bluster. I pointed out that FM14 was basically a simple logic programme, that it wasn't some high-level design that required to decipher something tricky like human emotion. I was nowhere near suggesting it did, in-fact I clearly stated the opposite. To try and then ridicule me for using chess & Deep Blue as an example when it is 1 of the most famous examples of advancement in computer technology. Chess is one, if not the most, complex game in the World. It's why IBM chose to focus on it as a means to promote the power of their computers. In fact there are over 300 billion possible positions after just four moves apiece.

'Foresight'/ 'learning', is exactly what AI is and has been in games for years, in fact I'm sure it's built into FM14. Does the game not learn your tactics and then have the foresight to counter them? Anyhoos, I'm not here to argue. I actually agreed that the AI in the game needs improvement, I just think the technology exists to do it now and is not some fantasy.

Archived