Sports Interactive Community
Stuart Warren

Football Manager 2014 - Update 14.2.2 - Feedback Thread

TBH rather than edit your post he should've just deleted it instead and told you why, there's no need to edit posts to make it look like you've edited yourself.

He'd made a bug report, which is the only reason the entire post wasn't deleted by him. He did however tell him why it was edited.

He'd made a bug report, which is the only reason the entire post wasn't deleted by him. He did however tell him why it was edited.

Fair enough, it's obviously annoyed him enough to go on about it though, maybe a wee PM explaining why you edited his post might've saved any confusion.

Fair enough, it's obviously annoyed him enough to go on about it though, maybe a wee PM explaining why you edited his post might've saved any confusion.

Since I didnt edit it, no PM from me. He got a reply on this very thread.

I'm out of this conversation, nowt to do with me, I was only trying to help :p

and it seems the Contact Us option doesn't work, for two times I've used it and there was no response.

Ah - I'm the "he" in question aren't I? :)

You posted a Bug Report and littered it with snide comments which served no purpose within the context of a Bug Report.

After editing it, I commented in here to that effect last night, and in the "Edit" section in the Bugs Report itself.

Applying forum rules has an awful lot to do with editing, changing and censoring posts, especially if the editing and changing (same thing) is required in order to make that post civil.

EDIT - the Bug Report raised has had an official response too: http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/383367-Reviewed-14.2.2.-GK-poor-decision

Good read on this page I must admit. :)

I agree with foreameuss but also the contrasting views.

What I do agree with also is the ball spin in the ME. Whether it is a through ball, lob pass etc, I dont see much backspin or much variation with the ball movement once it touches the pitch. It mostly just flies forward like an ice puck. This is something SI definitely has to work on imo

Ah - I'm the "he" in question aren't I? :)

You posted a Bug Report and littered it with snide comments which served no purpose within the context of a Bug Report.

After editing it, I commented in here to that effect last night, and in the "Edit" section in the Bugs Report itself.

Applying forum rules has an awful lot to do with editing, changing and censoring posts, especially if the editing and changing (same thing) is required in order to make that post civil.

EDIT - the Bug Report raised has had an official response too: http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/383367-Reviewed-14.2.2.-GK-poor-decision

Well, you've become a "he" question since you start personal insults. Surely, there must be a forum rule for mods insulting users.

Well, you've become a "he" question since you start personal insults. Surely, there must be a forum rule for mods insulting users.

Where exactly was this heinous insult? Nothing that has been said to you can come even close to being insulting unless you've got an incredibly thin skin.

Where exactly was this heinous insult? Nothing that has been said to you can come even close to being insulting unless you've got an incredibly thin skin.

It's here: http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/378442-Football-Manager-2014-Update-14.2.2-Feedback-Thread?p=9359270&viewfull=1#post9359270

Given the context, I don't think the term used was either excessive, nor misplaced.

Well, if you think calling people xenophobic is not insulting....

Well, if you think calling people xenophobic is not insulting....

Not really. He was referencing what you said. And what you said probably was a little xenophobic, saying that SI are going all Jack Wilshere with a British game, with British players, for British people. You really do need a thicker skin if you think that was so bad.

It's here: http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/378442-Football-Manager-2014-Update-14.2.2-Feedback-Thread?p=9359270&viewfull=1#post9359270

Given the context, I don't think the term used was either excessive, nor misplaced.

I don't think you know me from anywhere to judge my contexts, neither your mod function allows you to, even less calling someone xenophobic for mentioning that Britain is an island. If you have a need for insulting people that think different of you to prove your point, then you have no point at all. :thdn:

For those that bring up moderation decisions, please desist. At times we'll be sharp and direct and at other times helpful and patient. Mods get brought up by other mods if they step over the line. Newer mods ask more experienced mods for advice.

What we continuously fight against is misinformation and uncivil behaviour. We'll contest both firmly, because they make the forums an unpleasant and useless place for general users to visit. You might feel aggrieved that your post has been edited or deleted, but it will always be for one of these two reasons. If you behave civilly and refrain from making wild claims, then nobody will ever touch your posts.

For those that bring up moderation decisions, please desist. At times we'll be sharp and direct and at other times helpful and patient. Mods get brought up by other mods if they step over the line. Newer mods ask more experienced mods for advice.

What we continuously fight against is misinformation and uncivil behaviour. We'll contest both firmly, because they make the forums an unpleasant and useless place for general users to visit. You might feel aggrieved that your post has been edited or deleted, but it will always be for one of these two reasons. If you behave civilly and refrain from making wild claims, then nobody will ever touch your posts.

No feeling aggrieved for the editing because as you might understand (or not) customers doesn't feel always constructive and some comment might be might be written some hot headed. But I do resent personal insulting comments and the lack of response from the Contact Us option reporting the situation.

No feeling aggrieved for the editing because as you might understand (or not) customers doesn't feel always constructive and some comment might be might be written some hot headed. But I do resent personal insulting comments and the lack of response from the Contact Us option reporting the situation.

Because it wasn't insulting. If it was, it would have been deleted and the mod talked to about it, just as wwfan describes.

The most effective way to get posts reviewed independently, is to use the Report Post button (triangle with exclamation mark in it).

You won't be contacted if the SI team feel the complaint was unmerited. You made a wild claim that has no basis in reality and mildly insulted the development team. You can't really be surprised that they choose to stand up for the mod that pulled you up for it. You also need to have a thicker skin if you are still feeling upset about it and are taking umbrage against one of the most helpful mods on the forum. You are derailing this thread with a personal issue and it needs to stop.

As has been suggested to you, post bugs if you think you've found them and the QA team will respond and let you know if they are or not. Your keeper clearance example is almost certainly not a bug but a player error. You'll be taken far more seriously if you do that rather than posting one off examples as evidence the game is broken.

Can someone just fix the awful first touches that I'm seeing from both my players and the opposition ones?

Yep - that's one of the things in PaulC's list of fixes. "Enjoy" them while they last, they will be gone soon!

Then what about the users that keep on insulting and belittling other users who complain about the game? Degenham_dave for example? What happens with the comment that says "if you dont like it then dont play"? Dont play?? We bought this game and we love this game, it is so inappopriate to read this kind of comment. One of the reasons this thread has often become embroiled in sniping war is because the existence of this kind of user.

Then what about the users that keep on insulting and belittling other users who complain about the game? Degenham_dave for example? What happens with the comment that says "if you dont like it then dont play"? Dont play?? We bought this game and we love this game, it is so inappopriate to read this kind of comment. One of the reasons this thread has often become embroiled in sniping war is because the existence of this kind of user.

The "don't play" argument is one grounded in common sense, in that a lot of people - myself included - don't see the point in continuing to do something you don't enjoy. But each to their own. Also, there was nothing insulting or belittling about anything Dave said to you that I can see. Again, if there was, it would have been moderated as such.

The "don't play" argument is one grounded in common sense, in that a lot of people - myself included - don't see the point in continuing to do something you don't enjoy. But each to their own.

Ok, fine. But instead of saying that or other things that make other people feel unsatisfied, you can opt not to comment.

Let's not perpetuate the decline of a thread that is already skimming along the bottom of the barrel please.

Discussion about the posting style of mods or users is not appropriate here. If you have an issue with individual comments made, report them and they will be reviewed independently.

Please, let's get back to the feedback about FM14 for the sake of our collective sanity.

Let's not perpetuate the decline of a thread that is already skimming along the bottom of the barrel please.

Discussion about the posting style of mods or users is not appropriate here. If you have an issue with individual comments made, report them and they will be reviewed independently.

Please, let's get back to the feedback about FM14 for the sake of our collective sanity.

Thanks, you bet I will, did not know I can do that.

Ok, fine. But instead of saying that or other things that make other people feel unsatisfied, you can opt not to comment.

Everyone's allowed to express their own opinion, no matter what side they sit on. To say someone doesn't deserve to comment because they say something you don't like goes against the very idea of a public forum. While we're throwing out the pointless, if they post it, you can opt not to read it, or reply to it.

But anyway, back to the feedback. FM14 has probably been the most crash-filled version I've played. I've managed to resurrect most of these with a combination of removing local user data, verifying integrity of game cache, and setting graphics to software rendering, but a bit rubbish that I'm having to do that. Anyone else noticed a lot more crash dumps than, say, FM13?

I've only had one crash so far, can't remember what caused it though. I had loads of crashes on FM13, but that was all down to being in full screen mode, leaving it and going back after an extended period of time. I've played virtually all this year's game in windowed mode.

I honestly have never had a single crash dump on any game in the series, and I have played since CM Italia.

So even pre and post-Steam, things have been OK for me in that regard.

I've only had one crash so far, can't remember what caused it though. I had loads of crashes on FM13, but that was all down to being in full screen mode, leaving it and going back after an extended period of time. I've played virtually all this year's game in windowed mode.

I've always played in windowed...

I honestly have never had a single crash dump on any game in the series, and I have played since CM Italia.

It's most likely my set-up, let's face it. I'll have a look and see if I'm missing drivers or something that's relating to it. I've yet to raise a crash topic in the forum because it's always been brought back from the dead, so to speak.

Everyone's allowed to express their own opinion, no matter what side they sit on. To say someone doesn't deserve to comment because they say something you don't like goes against the very idea of a public forum. While we're throwing out the pointless, if they post it, you can opt not to read it, or reply to it.

But anyway, back to the feedback. FM14 has probably been the most crash-filled version I've played. I've managed to resurrect most of these with a combination of removing local user data, verifying integrity of game cache, and setting graphics to software rendering, but a bit rubbish that I'm having to do that. Anyone else noticed a lot more crash dumps than, say, FM13?

"something you don't like"? The whole point is that "this doesn't happen in my game so you're doing something wrong" is an absolute useless comment. That always come down to the perception of what happens on the pitch; to some users, the inordinate number of wild clearances for both teams is perfectly fine, for me and for many others it's a travesty. It is very likely that many users see the same thing as I do, and then come in here and complain about "ugly football", "unrealistic football", "bad ME" and other general descriptions, only to get knocked down with useless anecdotes and "it's your tactics", or "if there's a bug report it in the bug thread" - which is useless for most of these unhappy customers because they haven't pinpointed exactly what's wrong (and an imbalance is not a bug). "Hi Dev Team, here's my Save. Fix it." is also useless.

A mate of mine who only ever bought the disk as opposed to purchasing from Steam has for the first time this year complained. His complaint is (amongst others) crash dumps.

This is a man who bought the game every year, didn't install ANY patches as he thought the game was good out of the box and was a happy chappy. Telling him about patches was like telling him I'd just sold his house from underneath him without him knowing. His face was screwed up as if to say 'What??!!'. Even he, this year, is complaining about the game. Not the ME, but the crash dumps, apparently he also gets incredible regens (Messi style) playing as Luton about three seasons in (still in the Conference), he's finding that poor teams are winning the World Cup, big teams are struggling, his list was quite extensive. I almost put the phone down on him but I needed him to do some electrical work so couldn't.

I think my point is, if he is complaining, this must be a bit of a buggy release compared to previous years.

It's most likely my set-up, let's face it. I'll have a look and see if I'm missing drivers or something that's relating to it. I've yet to raise a crash topic in the forum because it's always been brought back from the dead, so to speak.

Let's face it, it's your tactics mate. ;)

I'd always raise a crash thread, just to get that extra help in narrowing it down. But certainly make sure all your drivers are upto date, and check Java is too.

Yep - that's one of the things in PaulC's list of fixes. "Enjoy" them while they last, they will be gone soon!

:D

Is he also working on the fact that Defenders still seem to have no other choice as to head long balls even if there is no one around them for meters they still only seem to be capable of just heading the ball aimlessly away instead of taking them down like defenders do in real life?

:D

Is he also working on the fact that Defenders still seem to have no other choice as to head long balls even if there is no one around them for meters they still only seem to be capable of just heading the ball aimlessly away instead of taking them down like defenders do in real life?

Unfortunately I'm not privy to the specifics of each and every fix.

There are a few defensive issues raised in the Bugs Forum which have been added to SIs own examples, so it may be in the process of being fixed.

If in doubt, please log a Bug to make sure that the exact Bug you see is on SIs radar.

I'd always raise a crash thread, just to get that extra help in narrowing it down. But certainly make sure all your drivers are upto date, and check Java is too.

Yeah, I always go to, but when it recovers, it seems a little pointless. Next time I get one, I will be opening one, as I can think of three times on my current save alone where I've had them. Tonight will be driver updates night I think.

As another point, the scheduling of the Uruguayan league system when its teams are in the latter stages of the Libertadores badly needs work. For those that don't follow the link, basically I'm (Penarol) facing Nacional in a Championship play-off, with the two legs falling on a Tuesday and Thursday of the same week. Not so bad? Nacional have a Copa Libertadores Semi Final 2nd Leg on the Wednesday...

Unfortunately I'm not privy to the specifics of each and every fix.

There are a few defensive issues raised in the Bugs Forum which have been added to SIs own examples, so it may be in the process of being fixed.

If in doubt, please log a Bug to make sure that the exact Bug you see is on SIs radar.

Well it's not really a bug. I mean this issue is around since as long as I can remember playing the game. Defenders always seem inclined to head the ball either aimlessly or as a pass to another player. Maybe it's just the fact that if a player has not such a good first touch he always decides to head the ball instead?

Well it's not really a bug. I mean this issue is around since as long as I can remember playing the game. Defenders always seem inclined to head the ball either aimlessly or as a pass to another player. Maybe it's just the fact that if a player has not such a good first touch he always decides to head the ball instead?

The logic should certainly factor in individual player attributes and the time and space he has available.

Ideally, even a lumbering DC with two left feet and modest attributes would attempt some sort of composed control and pass if he has acres of space.

If there are glaring instances where a player in space just heads it, it could well be a bug.

"something you don't like"? The whole point is that "this doesn't happen in my game so you're doing something wrong" is an absolute useless comment. That always come down to the perception of what happens on the pitch; to some users, the inordinate number of wild clearances for both teams is perfectly fine, for me and for many others it's a travesty. It is very likely that many users see the same thing as I do, and then come in here and complain about "ugly football", "unrealistic football", "bad ME" and other general descriptions, only to get knocked down with useless anecdotes and "it's your tactics", or "if there's a bug report it in the bug thread" - which is useless for most of these unhappy customers because they haven't pinpointed exactly what's wrong (and an imbalance is not a bug). "Hi Dev Team, here's my Save. Fix it." is also useless.

The trouble is, you also get a large amount of people who complain continually that because one bug / glitch / animation error (or a bad tactical choice) has affected them / their game ina negative way, then the game is broken totally....which is simply not true

Which leads to some users moaning about the game and others moaning about those who are moaning about the game - and that is a vicious circle (especially in this thread!)

Just a quick question:

I have these problems:

- Not getting good enough offers for my wanted players. For example, I had DeBruyne and his value was 15m. He requested to go and was listed by request. There were many big teams interested for a looong time and no offers were received. I offered him and got very crappy offers like 9-10m.

- Defenders in many occasions (extended) chase the opposition player but not tackle and watch him very very slowly goes past by him.

- GKs can't handle the ball and many goals happen by them just parrying the ball into the net.

- Marking does not seem to work as defenders does not stick to the man he was ordered to mark.

If these are issues that SI are aware, that's great. Otherwise I will try to upload pkms etc but I can't seem to find time. I barely can play the game nowadays :)

Other than those, the game is great. I think it is the most enjoyable one up to now. I really like variety of goals.

S

I play a very specific system, very rigid and heavily encourage slow build up through shorter passing across the board. The full back has no issue passing normally under any other circumstance, apart from when getting the ball from the GK. If this is down to something missing in the communication process then the game is doing absolutely nothing to give me an indication what. The end result is the same - I'm trying to tell my player to do something that I can see is possible but I'm not getting a response, instead I see a repetitive pattern that looks mechanical and robotic.

Not seeing this, sorry.

From this match I deliberately picked the apparently one scenario (the second one) in which the FB pumps it upfield, but then he is also being pushed a bit. No extreme at all instructions had to be applied. Does your FB have PPM interfering by any chance? I'd personally take more issues with the GK frequently "ignoring" the distribute to defender/specific player instructions, if at all. But then keeper distribution instructions have always been guidelines rather than strict instructions before... Still happens too often, imo.

- Marking does not seem to work as defenders does not stick to the man he was ordered to mark.

You can even make your CB rush all the way up and stick like glue to the opponents CB right from kick off if for whatever reason you want him to!

Unless you have witnessed a bug with specific marking: What more could you possibly want?

What more would you possibly want?

Just a quick question:

I have these problems:

- Not getting good enough offers for my wanted players. For example, I had DeBruyne and his value was 15m. He requested to go and was listed by request. There were many big teams interested for a looong time and no offers were received. I offered him and got very crappy offers like 9-10m.

- Defenders in many occasions (extended) chase the opposition player but not tackle and watch him very very slowly goes past by him.

- GKs can't handle the ball and many goals happen by them just parrying the ball into the net.

If these are issues that SI are aware, that's great. Otherwise I will try to upload pkms etc but I can't seem to find time. I barely can play the game nowadays :)

Other than those, the game is great. I think it is the most enjoyable one up to now. I really like variety of goals.

That pretty much sums up my frustrations currently. That and the first touch problems.

I'd be a very happy bunny if that's all the long overdue patch mended.

Not seeing this, sorry.

From this match I deliberately picked the apparently one scenario (the second one) in which the FB pumps it upfield, but then he is also being pushed a bit. No extreme at all instructions had to be applied. Does your FB have PPM interfering by any chance? I'd personally take more issues with the GK frequently "ignoring" the distribute to defender/specific player instructions, if at all. But then keeper distribution instructions always been guidelines rather than strict instructions before...

I'm not even looking to get this to work to be honest. It was just the first example I remembered of a rigid pattern that occurs within my tactic with my team. I'm in no way trying to claim that it occurs in every setup everywhere and you're missing the point again a bit if you read it as that. It has also got nothing to do with PPM's or player attributes as every player I play there ends up doing the same thing within that particular setup.

Just to illustrate, if I tell my GK to pass it to defenders and my LB to pass it short in a random match, these are the kind of positions where he decides to whack it instead of passing.

Examples: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

All of those are within 15 minutes of a single match and each and every one of them ended up in a long punt that conceded possession. The whole point of even bringing up that behavior in my initial post wasn't to find out ways to work around it but to illustrate how robotic the decision making is in instances where it's presumably applying common sense; and that the direct instructions that should have a rather clear meaning in this instance aren't getting through to the player nor is he trying to adapt in any way to a situation where he keeps giving the ball to the opposition every couple of minutes. The whole pattern is just fully robotic because as I said, in general play the guy can pass just fine. But not from there.

[/url]All of those are within 15 minutes of a single match and each and every one of them ended up in a long punt that conceded possession. The whole point of even bringing up that behavior in my initial post wasn't to find out ways to work around it but to illustrate how robotic the decision making is in instances where it's presumably applying common sense; and that the direct instructions that should have a rather clear meaning in this instance aren't getting through to the player nor is he trying to adapt in any way to a situation where he keeps giving the ball to the opposition every couple of minutes. The whole pattern is just fully robotic because as I said, in general play the guy can pass just fine. But not from there.

What are the other scenarios then? It seems you suggest the GK-FB thing would be just one of them. Could you upload your instructions as a tac. file and (if it's early in the save) say which side your are playing? If this happens all the time it's one to report as pkm, I guess. Though in some of the screenshots you posted it looks as if the short options don't necessarily look particularly save bets, tbh. Screenshots can be misleading though, as obviously in but a second of match play players can cover a lot of ground.

When is the January transfer window patch coming? I don't want to start a new game without it.

When it's ready, likely mid-to-late March based on last year.

When it's ready, likely mid-to-late March based on last year.

Is there any other way for me to sell Mata to United for 35M? I have the ingame editor, but I can only see the option of moving him for free instantly.

Is there any other way for me to sell Mata to United for 35M? I have the ingame editor, but I can only see the option of moving him for free instantly.

Best to ask in the editor forum, no idea. There are unofficial database updates out there, but "use at own risk" applies.