Sports Interactive Community
Stuart Warren

Football Manager 2014 - Update 14.2.2 - Feedback Thread

How did a rubbish team like Sassuolo finish mid-table?? It's an outrage. The game is clearly broken.

I mean common. This just smells like poor programming. SI need to give us a polished game. These things turn me off completely, not to mention the corner bug.

i mean common. This just smells like poor programming. Si need to give us a polished game. These things turn me off completely, not to mention the corner bug.

whooooooooooosh!!

There are a few players in my first team who have a faded "Rsv" symbol beside their name in the squad screen. These players are NOT currently selected to play for the reserves, but at one point I did have them play for the reserves until match fit. These players don't actually seem to get selected for the reserves, it's just that the symbol is there.

Is this supposed to be the case?

This is a problem since the 14.2.2 update .

I selected a player for the U 21's until match fit . The player was match fit later but the [Rsv] Icon was still there.To get rid of it I selected him for the U 21's and deselected him and it was gone . Report it to the bugs forum.

Another season, another start with draws that involve 2-4 woodworks each.

I even lost to a cup with a total of 6 woodworks. SIX. I had 3 woodworks in the game, then the referee gives them a fake penalty at the 85th minute and then my players hit the woodwork another 3 times in the penalty shootout. For a total of an average of 2.3 woodworks within 10 games.

I'm done with this. Not buying this game until woodworks and game upsets are fixed. There hasn't been a single upset draw/lose that didn't involve at least 2 woodworks so far and that's in 12 seasons of play. Even when I won in UEFA, it was because of Goteborg having a total of 5 woodworks on the 2 games played.

Over 2/3 of the loses I feel like I'm being cheated. Up to FM12 this wasn't the case. Even in FM11 with the emo players going from superb to abysmall overnight with a single manager comment,it felt more acceptable than this "upset" madness that keeps happening over and over, every single season.

How did a rubbish team like Sassuolo finish mid-table?? It's an outrage. The game is clearly broken.

Believe it or not, i'm clearly with you in this. You're right, and it's not a mistery that i think it.

You're talking with one who leaves the Fiorentina career after winning Serie A in the second season - with outrageous results - because simply it was bugged like hell and i see my team scores 2 goals away against Juventus with 2 men down.

Fact is that is still less impossible that Sampdoria win the Serie A.

Or Roma, Inter, Lazio get relegated.

Would be wonderful if you don't believe that every single player that rise up these mistakes it's a 12 year old that cry if not win everything. Simply, i love football, im 34 and i play FM by 12 years. Never win much but never moan.

And i respect other opinions but please, i'm not a kid with a broken skateboard.

These results are terrible, they kill the experience that FM always gave to me. And this is a fact: otherwise, you can clearly show me why it got to be realistic that next year Sampdoria will win the Serie A - admitting that they still play in this league.

EDIT: Last year, in a night like this, i was not here to post anger about the game. I was playing a good career with the game that i love, the game that i paid real money and that i have all the rights to criticize, specially if is awful like this edition.

Then why i pay a game that i love and instead of playing i came to the forum and say my delusion? I'm a sort of masochist or what?

What exactly should they do about this one season in one game?

It's not this career, Serie A is totally bugged and out of control.

You can see the 2nd playing versus the 1st, at home, and lose 1-6.

You can see Inter, Roma, Lazio, relegated. And everybody who knows about Serie A knows that this (for economic power, players, coaches) it's nearly impossible. One time can happen, two, but that happens really often. Like Sampdoria or Catania that goes straight to the top.

And if i can accept this after some seasons (good market transfers? Sugar Daddy? The raise of talents?) i can't accept in the very first two seasons.

Alessio Sestu, 31 years old Chievo-winger, that in RL never play in a team that struggle to avoid relegation, "best player in Serie A"?

Now, i hope we all understand what i meant. The exceptions are beautiful when are exceptions. If Roma get relegated OR Sampdoria won the league - i love this. But if this happens so often it's clear that somebody knows something about our football OR there are bugs that in some way make these absurd results.

I've played, in the last two months, 5 career. I've seen Belgium, Senegal (!) and Russia win the World Cup 2014.

On 5 World Cup 3 times the winner was a national team that never win this competition. Come on!

I've played, in the last two months, 5 career. I've seen Belgium, Senegal (!) and Russia win the World Cup 2014.

On 5 World Cup 3 times the winner was a national team that never win this competition. Come on!

Haha, I've just had U.S.A beat Ivory Coast 3-1 in the 2014 World Cup Final... The semi-finalists were those two along with Belguim and Chile. Also remember Brazil losing their first game 1-0 to Costa Rica and El Salvador beating Spain in the group stages as well.

Lunacy!

whooooooooooosh!!

I am surprised he didn't get it given the exact same joke is made on here every time a team does something improbable in real life.

I'm having a hard time to make my wingers cross. Often he receives a through ball, runs to byline then he turns back and pass the ball back to my center midfielders who is like 20, 30 yards away or he just runs inside the box alone the byline and shoot from zero degree. Every time I see this makes me want to quit. No setting should make a winger do such thing.

I have joined the gang and bought FM14. Woots!

First impression - menus are well-designed, very slick. Easy to access information, unlike previous versions (FM11, FM12) where information were hidden in a mountain of tabs.

Loading times across different screens are fast as well.

I've been having quite a bit of success in this area using an IF/S (though my wide men sit narrow and we use a short passing game, so this may not work in your system) - it seems to encourage a healthy amount of cross come passes into the area, mainly towards the six yard area. Might also be worth trying the player instruction 'cross aim far post'. Should encourage your wide men to get the ball across the face of goal...

It's not this career, Serie A is totally bugged and out of control.

You can see the 2nd playing versus the 1st, at home, and lose 1-6.

You can see Inter, Roma, Lazio, relegated. And everybody who knows about Serie A knows that this (for economic power, players, coaches) it's nearly impossible. One time can happen, two, but that happens really often. Like Sampdoria or Catania that goes straight to the top.

And if i can accept this after some seasons (good market transfers? Sugar Daddy? The raise of talents?) i can't accept in the very first two seasons.

Alessio Sestu, 31 years old Chievo-winger, that in RL never play in a team that struggle to avoid relegation, "best player in Serie A"?

Now, i hope we all understand what i meant. The exceptions are beautiful when are exceptions. If Roma get relegated OR Sampdoria won the league - i love this. But if this happens so often it's clear that somebody knows something about our football OR there are bugs that in some way make these absurd results.

So why not, you know, go to the Data Issues forum and take it up with the researchers in there? If anything is wrong, it's not SI's mistake, it's the researchers. They're the ones who fill in the blanks in the database, and Si can't physically check every input for the hundreds of thousands of data objects in the game. If you post in there, and prove to be right, maybe something will get done about it.

I have joined the gang and bought FM14. Woots!

First impression - menus are well-designed, very slick. Easy to access information, unlike previous versions (FM11, FM12) where information were hidden in a mountain of tabs.

Loading times across different screens are fast as well.[/quote

Would love to hear feedback based on the ME mate. Now thats the nitty gritty. Keep us posted.

If it wasn't for the terrible and embarassing defending in the ME, and 61% of oppositions goals coming from corners, I perhaps 'could' enjoy this game.

If it wasn't for the terrible and embarassing defending in the ME, and 61% of oppositions goals coming from corners, I perhaps 'could' enjoy this game.

Go on, show your working then.

Not specific to the update, but just to FM. I hope in future versions SI look at the performance of the other managers. They seem incapable of managing for the future, making it a lot easier once you've had time to build a young team.

I find that once I get towards the top of the Prem, if I take the long term view and just send scouts looking for the best 16 and 17 year olds, that as they start come through to the first team the team are way ahead of any other club. There seems to be no AI managers that both signing prospects for the future.

Go on, show your working then.

Ye na. Constant criticism from fellow gamers is my working out buddy. Get on with your game will ya and stop spamming peoples posts mate. Ive seen you have a bash at others posts too. Using your fingers to have a bash, weak

Ye na. Constant criticism from fellow gamers is my working out buddy. Get on with your game will ya and stop spamming peoples posts mate. Ive seen you have a bash at others posts too. Using your fingers to have a bash, weak

:lol:

Well played, but it's a swing and a miss. I was just curious as to where you were getting your very specific 61% from. And I only "have a bash" at the ridiculous posts. If you'd look a bit further back you'd see I've had plenty of problems with the game. But guess that wouldn't suit your argument.

So do 61% of your goals conceded come from corners? Otherwise that wouldn't be very good feedback would it?

I wrote 61% for a reason mate. Virtual basher is your new nickname. Get on to it :) Handbag is a better one imo. Ill start a poll mate.

Haha, I've just had U.S.A beat Ivory Coast 3-1 in the 2014 World Cup Final... The semi-finalists were those two along with Belguim and Chile. Also remember Brazil losing their first game 1-0 to Costa Rica and El Salvador beating Spain in the group stages as well.

Lunacy!

New Zealand won it in my current game :lol:

I wrote 61% for a reason mate. Virtual basher is your new nickname. Get on to it :) Handbag is a better one imo. Ill start a poll mate.

Terrible, terrible work.

New Zealand won it in my current game :lol:

Can't say I've ever noticed that. I've managed New Zealand, and we were predictably rubbish. I've always noticed that the Balkan countries become very strong - Croatia and Serbia in particular. Scotland always seem a bit over-powered in the 2020's, and I managed a World Cup win with them in 2054. Once you move further into the game you can't really judge the crazy winners, as there could be anything behind it. But if a small nation is winning the 2014 or 2018 cups, then it's definitely something that should be looked into.

So why not, you know, go to the Data Issues forum and take it up with the researchers in there? If anything is wrong, it's not SI's mistake, it's the researchers. They're the ones who fill in the blanks in the database, and Si can't physically check every input for the hundreds of thousands of data objects in the game. If you post in there, and prove to be right, maybe something will get done about it.

Believe me, when i tried to raise this issue on the italian researcher the anwer was "why don't you do this instead me?" or similar. For some people this game is like the mother, or religion or who know what but something too serious. I played FM13 for over 1000 hours, i bought a PC (10 years ago) only to play this game, this is the only game i buy every year in day-one. Still, it's not my son, and if someone find mistakes i'm not here to defend it like it's Sparta and i'm Leonida.

So what i want to say? That's useless. I write in the Italian section here, no one answer. End of the story.

Believe me, when i tried to raise this issue on the italian researcher the anwer was "why don't you do this instead me?" or similar. For some people this game is like the mother, or religion or who know what but something too serious. I played FM13 for over 1000 hours, i bought a PC (10 years ago) only to play this game, this is the only game i buy every year in day-one. Still, it's not my son, and if someone find mistakes i'm not here to defend it like it's Sparta and i'm Leonida.

So what i want to say? That's useless. I write in the Italian section here, no one answer. End of the story.

Well l have to say that's pretty rubbish if that's his attitude. Apologies, seems you've done what you can. It's possible he just doesn't agree with your reasoning - you'll certainly know Italy better than me it seems - but unfortunately they have the decision. All I could say is try to get more convincing evidence, perhaps go to one of the SI staff, see if they can take a look. Not sure if they'll just refer you back to the researcher though.

Well l have to say that's pretty rubbish if that's his attitude. Apologies, seems you've done what you can. It's possible he just doesn't agree with your reasoning - you'll certainly know Italy better than me it seems - but unfortunately they have the decision. All I could say is try to get more convincing evidence, perhaps go to one of the SI staff, see if they can take a look. Not sure if they'll just refer you back to the researcher though.

Well, i write here because i hope that some of the SI get a look and noticed.

I understand that obviously you can't know very well the Serie A, but if you try to make a season random and then you compare the table with the actual table...there's no way that you got some doubts :D

First issue I've had with Steam. Tried to start FM, said it wasn't installed. Went to the directory and all the files were there fine. Steam then deletes all them files and is downloading the game again. A tad annoying when you have a slow internet connection. I know Steam were having issues yesterday, so it's probably something to do with that.

I understand that obviously you can't know very well the Serie A, but if you try to make a season random and then you compare the table with the actual table...there's no way that you got some doubts :D

I would disagree that the season is random. If anything was random in-game, it wouldn't affect just Serie A, it would be absolutely everywhere. It looks like some club attributes are over-powered, or some particular players. Have you had a look in the editor at Sampdoria? There might be something that jumps out as wrong, there's not too many fields for clubs. What year is your screenshot from by the way?

15 games into my new save, waiting till transfer window to finish and final update is done next month(ish) just had my top CB sent off twice in the space of 4 games, I tell him his actions are not befitting a Key player and setting bad examples to the youngsters, he doesn't agree and goes in the huff wtf.

Also can't wait till they fix the defensive headers, so many goals concede from either free kicks or corners due to this bug, defenders head the ball like 10 year olds.

Is anyone else noticing that when a player becomes too good in game, they suddenly get a 2 month injury, this has happened in all my saves since I got the game?

I just signed Wesley Said in the January transfer window, then loaned him out to Newcastle for the rest of the season in order to give him some first team football. However, he's now ineligible for them because obviously you can't play for more than two teams during one season. Surely, irl, Newcastle would know the rules and not make a bid, or, the FA would stop the loan deal before completion? It's not really a problem for me since they pay his wages in full, but the realism suffers a bit.

Not sure if I should post this here or on the bugs forum.

I just signed Wesley Said in the January transfer window, then loaned him out to Newcastle for the rest of the season in order to give him some first team football. However, he's now ineligible for them because obviously you can't play for more than two teams during one season. Surely, irl, Newcastle would know the rules and not make a bid, or, the FA would stop the loan deal before completion? It's not really a problem for me since they pay his wages in full, but the realism suffers a bit.

Not sure if I should post this here or on the bugs forum.

I would definitely post this in the bugs forums right away! That should not be happening mate

Prato you need to do what I've been telling you to do for weeks. Upload the save. There is nothing they can do with that screenshot, especially if they don't get the same results. So you need to upload your save so they have your file to work with. Nothing else will really do.

I posted about a bug in the first version of the game that still hasn't been fixed. Sometimes when an O.G. is scored, the colour of the ball is white and not red.

I posted about a bug in the first version of the game that still hasn't been fixed. Sometimes when an O.G. is scored, the colour of the ball is white and not red.

I'm not surprised but it will be on the list, its just that not everything can be fixed for the next patch.

I reported a visual bug in FM13 that I was disappointed to find still existed in FM14, however without reporting it again it was fixed in either the first or second big patch. So basically as long as its been logged it is in progress and will be fixed at some stage.

I'm not surprised but it will be on the list, its just that not everything can be fixed for the next patch.

I reported a visual bug in FM13 that I was disappointed to find still existed in FM14, however without reporting it again it was fixed in either the first or second big patch. So basically as long as its been logged it is in progress and will be fixed at some stage.

It does just catch me out sometimes. I rarely notice too many bugs myself

Ok, after three full seasons some of my observations.

-Goalkeepers do not protect their near post. Countless times have I seen an attacker run past the keeper and slot the ball into the goal near post, while the keeper simply watches.

-Defenders do not react to anything.

-Long balls over the top see the strikers set off well before the defender realises the ball is going over his head. Instead of dropping back, they let the ball pass them and then turn and chase it.

-They do not react quickly to loose balls in the area. Invariably your defense will clump together and watch as a sole strikers runs in to score.

-Full backs seem to head the ball back across their own area, rather than away from danger.

-Too many unforced errors. Misplaced passes and holding the ball too long seem to be the main cause of open play goals.

-Wingers almost always choose to shoot, rather than pulling the ball back, regardless of the positions of the defenders and striker or the angle of the shot.

-Players just don't act like real footballers. Too often have I seen three or even four players chasing the same ball. Most recently Leeds V Nottm Forrest. The Forrest left back, DCL and one midfielder chased after a ball cleared out of defense heading towards the byline. Not one of the three had any chance of getting the ball before my RB.

I tend to play a high line with a sweeper keeper in between and I've noticed one slightly annoying issue, often when the team is caught out by a long ball over the top with a striker chasing the ball my keeper will move to across his box to where the ball is heading, he doesn't come out to meet the ball but just moves into the path of it. That would be perfectly fine if there was no striker rushing on to it but whether there's a striker there or not the keeper does the same and awaits the ball, when there is a striker there he gets on to the ball and then just sticks it into the unprotected goal

I would disagree that the season is random. If anything was random in-game, it wouldn't affect just Serie A, it would be absolutely everywhere. It looks like some club attributes are over-powered, or some particular players. Have you had a look in the editor at Sampdoria? There might be something that jumps out as wrong, there's not too many fields for clubs. What year is your screenshot from by the way?

Second year, season 2014-15.

I'm sorry but im really not good with the editor.

Whatever, every season i made in Italy (for now i play only in my country) seems like this...

Prato you need to do what I've been telling you to do for weeks. Upload the save. There is nothing they can do with that screenshot, especially if they don't get the same results. So you need to upload your save so they have your file to work with. Nothing else will really do.

I tried but i fail (some "error" -.- ) but i'll try again! :)

After so many years of FM (and CM) another frustration that arises is how SI keeps the game so tactically shallow. It seems that for SI doesn't exist a basic thing like offensive and defensive process: taking a look to what we are offered, we can see several instructions for possession, penetration, general and shape, most of them with much more influence in the offensive process. Then we have 6 (????) possibilities for the defensive process, 2 for tackling (+- aggressive), 2 for pressing (+- hassle), 1 for marking and the offside trap. Really ? Is this just what they can come up with ? It doesn't need to be a tactical genius to understand that any team has to distinct shapes of organizing itself: the so called defensive and offensive process. For a game that intends to be a football sim, it's curious that things like pressing the ball doesn't exist (a very different thing than telling player x to hassle opponent y), neither the possibility of telling players to apply different intensities according to the zone they are moving the ball around, or neither the possibility of telling players to set different defense lines whenever the team has or doesn't have the ball. Then there's the missing motivational shouts: right, I'm the manager but I'm unable to tell my players "calm down", "run more", "you are doing great, keep it on". No, something that any manager always have done it's just missing on FM. Great database, great ME (even with bugs), great as a game.... as a sim, the basics are simply missing.

And the second year in Serie A is like this:

xaz9y.png

Sampdoria (!) won Serie A, Parma 3d place, Livorno 6th place.

I read somewhere that there's nothing that SI will do about Serie A, all i have to say it's that these results means amateur knowledge of italian football, because there is no way that a football lover can accept a game with these results. It's like in a F1 game the Red Bull NEVER WIN. Absurd. Horrible. Can't understand how it's possible.

We all know this is a game and everything can happen, but with a 3-4 year at least a team that play to avoid relegation can challenge for the title.

This is the second season.

Wordless. If i'm not seeing with my very eyes i can't believe it.

Lol, just now it's started the third season:reigning champions of Sampdoria was defeated by Lazio 6 - 2! :D

Again: too (TOO!) many goals. Just too many.

Your league table screenshot shows that the amount of goals is about right, going by last season's real life Serie A table.

Any sign of the patch coming soon?

Decided to try a match for the first time in a while and at half time, 4-0 down, 4 corners, 3 of them headed to an attacker from the defender.

Lol, just now it's started the third season:reigning champions of Sampdoria was defeated by Lazio 6 - 2! :D

I'd be more concerned with the Rossoneri being 5th... Never in a million years are they 'that' good :lol:

Then we have 6 (????) possibilities for the defensive process, 2 for tackling (+- aggressive), 2 for pressing (+- hassle), 1 for marking and the offside trap. Really ? Is this just what they can come up with ? It doesn't need to be a tactical genius to understand that any team has to distinct shapes of organizing itself: the so called defensive and offensive process.

For these specific examples, can you suggest what the additional options could / should be?

For these specific examples, can you suggest what the additional options could / should be?

I did so

pressing the ball doesn't exist (a very different thing than telling player x to hassle opponent y), neither the possibility of telling players to apply different intensities according to the zone they are moving the ball around, or neither the possibility of telling players to set different defense lines whenever the team has or doesn't have the ball. Then there's the missing motivational shouts: right, I'm the manager but I'm unable to tell my players "calm down", "run more", "you are doing great, keep it on". No, something that any manager always have done it's just missing on FM.

It's up to the captain to tell the players to 'calm down' whilst the game is in progress, 'you are doing great' is a worthless shout, and no manager in the world would ever tell his players to 'run more'.

I did so

Well, pressing is relative to Defensive Line, and then has the Stand Off and Hassle Opponents Instructions to vary the intensity, plus the depth of line options (Much Higher Line, Much Deeper Line, Higher Line, Deeper Line, Default)

So that equates to 105 levels of Pressing within the confines of the Tactics Creator (7 Defensive Lines * 3 Levels of Intensity (Stand Off, Hassle and Default) * 5 Defensive Line altering Instructions).

That can obviously be tailored numerous ways by also applying Player Instructions for Closing Down.

With regard to varied intensity of tackling, you are correct in the sense that you can't directly instruct that to vary based on location, but sometimes there has to be a balance between instruction and player attributes and intelligence - we have to trust our players sometimes.

With regard to defensive line with and without the ball, that's an alien concept to me. What do you think the defensive line in Football Manager is?

Well, pressing is relative to Defensive Line, and then has the Stand Off and Hassle Opponents Instructions to vary the intensity, plus the depth of line options (Much Higher Line, Much Deeper Line, Higher Line, Deeper Line, Default)

So that equates to 105 levels of Pressing within the confines of the Tactics Creator (7 Defensive Lines * 3 Levels of Intensity (Stand Off, Hassle and Default) * 5 Defensive Line altering Instructions).

That can obviously be tailored numerous ways by also applying Player Instructions for Closing Down.

With regard to varied intensity of tackling, you are correct in the sense that you can't directly instruct that to vary based on location, but sometimes there has to be a balance between instruction and player attributes and intelligence - we have to trust our players sometimes.

With regard to defensive line with and without the ball, that's an alien concept to me. What do you think the defensive line in Football Manager is?

hummm, I thought hassle didn't affect the defensive line... strange :confused: Nevertheless those levels are related to the opponent player, not related to the ball.

I wasn't talking about the intensity of tackling, but the TI Higher or Lower Tempo ( I said intensity because it's translated this way), so it's about telling our players to play with higher or lower tempo according to the pitch zone they are moving the ball around

My thought regarding the defensive line in Football Manager is where the team sits, starting from the defenders. What I know is that teams have different shapes when in possession or without it.

As for the motivational shouts ?????

Your league table screenshot shows that the amount of goals is about right, going by last season's real life Serie A table.

And you're right again.

But seems to me that also if the "overall" is near the reality, is the distribution of this goals that is wrong: many matches (too many) finish with 4-5 goals in total. Obviously there are also 0-0 that made the total (maybe) acceptable, but in fact my opinion is that too many matches ends with too many goals.

In reality i saw many results in my life (ex. Man Utd - Roma = 7 - 1, Lazio - Fiorentina = 8 - 2, Milan - Lazio = 7 - 3) and certainly i forget something.

But - like many things i disagree with the game - it's not that can happen (everything can happen, at least in a game, if not it would be boring) but the frequency.

I always praised my friends that tells "in FM happened this or that and in reality not" telling they that if they want to see real football have to see real football and not play a game. But on the other side i think that an exceptional event (like Sampdoria win the League, Parma in Champions or even SENEGAL World Cup Champion) must to be exceptional and not so usual. Because if became usual loss the beauty of "exception" and become weird.

Spain can lose to Costa Rica in quarter-finals, but if it's in the same World Cup Brazil got defeated by Japan and Argentina lose to Bosnia - and even worst results, but i don't look every match played - that means that's something wrong in the whole game.

By the way, these are my two cents, i'm not THE user, just one user, but i think that in a feedback thread i have to say these absurdity.