Football Manager 2014 - Update 14.2.2 - Feedback Thread

so when he gets the ball long way from the post he is selfish, but when he's in front of the goal he somehow gets generous enough to pass the ball back to a teammate instead of touching the ball in.truly realistic

so did you actually log this as a potential bug with loads of supporting evidence as has been suggested to you on numerous occasions or do you prefer to just post sarcastic comments all the time?

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The game is not unplayable.

:applause: are we playing a different game to others on this thread, I'm not seeing anything like the bugs and moans being mentioned on here, as i've said before, I play around for the first few months, learning the tactics and internal gameplay of the ME before finally going for a long save after the January/February data update.

It's certainly not unplayable, but the bugs are enough to want to make you to ragequit on a fairly regular basis - particularly if you have little patience for incredibly stupid goalkeepers. Goalkeepers seem genuinely clueless on this game. I can't really play with a Sweeper Keeper at the moment because he regularly miscontrols and dribbles out for a corner under no pressure. It was similar to on FM13 where defenders would regularly concede corners for no reason whatsoever.

Player positioning and reactions to the ball seems off at times. Bit annoying.

It's certainly better than the FM13 final ME, which I hated. Once they (finally!) sort out keepers and tweak a few things for defensive play I think it'll be fine.

One thing that I found out recently is that short term injuries are not recorded in the injury log. That sounds OK you don't want it to record every cold a play misses a days training through but I bought a player as my first choice winger and between the minor injuries his picked up and the time his taken regaining match fitness his only started about 7 games in 18 months. None of his injuries was serious enough to be recorded. If you where buying him from the AI you would check his injury history and think the AI just didn't play him. Wouldn't it be better to record how many days a player spent injured and maybe how many they spent severely lacking match fitness rather then just some of the injuries they suffered?

Also agreed! It's not unplayable, that's for sure !!! I don't even care about some bugs, it annoys me that SI asks a price for something that should work without errors but the even bigger problem with this specific FM is that more than ever is made according to a very british logic of football. Well sirs, there are other logics and ways of playing football rather than yours, some even better than yours (or not), but despite being better or worse they are different and if the game allow us to play different leagues, well than it must allow different logics of football.

Also agreed! It's not unplayable, that's for sure !!! I don't even care about some bugs, it annoys me that SI asks a price for something that should work without errors but the even bigger problem with this specific FM is that more than ever is made according to a very british logic of football. Well sirs, there are other logics and ways of playing football rather than yours, some even better than yours (or not), but despite being better or worse they are different and if the game allow us to play different leagues, well than it must allow different logics of football.

You know SI don't set the price right?

So bored of seeing near post goals. I feel like out of 10 goals 6 are near post shots, 2 are corners and 2 something else. No variety at all.

:lol: I just lost a match 5-4, 4 of 5 goals against me were: one throw-in, one direct free kick, one corner and one own goal by my keeper.... yes, very realistic indeed :lol:

Quick update.

Firstly as ever thanks to all those who have provided constructive criticism, as this is invaluable to us and appreciated.

There will be another ME update, probably with 14.3 when the data is updated. So far we have worked on the following:

- Goalie errors. We have identified a few that lingered around and will hope to get any remaining ones zapped for this cycle.

- Headed clearances. We identified issues with trajectory and direction and the fixes are now in test. Affects no of goals just after corners and also own goal count.

- Corners. We are still working on this. Main issue now is there are slightly too many of them at top levels.

- Ball physics. No changes planned for this cycle. There are definitely further improvements to be made but we believe it's in a decent state overall for the time being.

- General. We want to improve the individual play of the very best players slightly and this is a work in progress right now.

There are other bits and pieces too of course.

Cheers,

Paul

Any news on non ME updates? Are they gonna wait until the data update too?

Well, then we have to tell the retailers something like "guys, you are setting a price as product without bugs... fresh news: it's full of a bugs, mainly when it's relased, so start setting a bugged price"

All software contains bugs.....

:applause: are we playing a different game to others on this thread, I'm not seeing anything like the bugs and moans being mentioned on here, as i've said before, I play around for the first few months, learning the tactics and internal gameplay of the ME before finally going for a long save after the January/February data update.

I think most players would enjoy the game more if they didn't read the forum so much. People don't see most of these "bugs" until someone tell them about it and suddenly they'll see it in every game they lose. Lost because of a goalkeeper mistake? goalie bug. Lost because of a goal from a corner? corner bug. Lost because your players had a bad day against a minor team? Impossible, I have the best players in the world, ME bug.

Really?

I'm not the one that expected FM to be bug free and I'm not the one that thought SI set the prices.....:rolleyes:

its a matter of coherence: if the game were to be bug free, then we would also like to pay exactly that; if it's not than the price has to be different, a lot lower.

I think most players would enjoy the game more if they didn't read the forum so much. People don't see most of these "bugs" until someone tell them about it and suddenly they'll see it in every game they lose. Lost because of a goalkeeper mistake? goalie bug. Lost because of a goal from a corner? corner bug. Lost because your players had a bad day against a minor team? Impossible, I have the best players in the world, ME bug.

So it is better being blind to obvious imbalances and weird occurences, writing them off as "could happen, the ball is round", in order to stay happy?

Reminds me why civilization is failing...

Has anyone experienced the following issue:

Goal scored, you want to change the instructions so you click on them as the goal is scored. You change stuff up while the replay is happening (push up, play narrower etc). You make the changes and click ok but they don't happen.

Anyone?

Has anyone experienced the following issue:

Goal scored, you want to change the instructions so you click on them as the goal is scored. You change stuff up while the replay is happening (push up, play narrower etc). You make the changes and click ok but they don't happen.

Anyone?

Yes you'll have to close the replay before the changes you make can take place.

just watched beta-ME-version gameplay footage... holy .... what a difference compared to the version we have now. great movement, lot of variation on offense etc. now, it's a me..!!!!! i created a few different tactics just for fun to see how they would play out on the pitch. and what a surprise, the difference is so marginal it's not worth to talk about it... SI ironed out the glitches step by step, although there are still many of them left, but they killed the gameplay in my opinion. counter attacking is overpowered!!!! and it almost doesn't matter what shape and instructions your defense consists of. when samll teams are parking the bus against you, feels like you're playing against some catenaccio-masterminds :lol: maybe it's all "fine" under the hood, millions of calculations etc. BUT the 3D gameplay has nothing!!! in common with real life football. nada!!!

EDIT: just watched a clearance from opp. defender, ball was like 4-5 sec. up in the air. mascherano was standing around 5-7m nearer to my own goal than the striker, ball came down to strikers feet (ofcourse he had no problem with his first touch although it was a 60-yarder, i guess he is the best chinese amateur footballer who ever played the game :lol: , was a friendly match ). i watched/reviewed the whole sequence from all different angles. mascherano did nothing!!!!! he just freezed, from the moment the ball left the defenders feet till the striker had a breakaway and... no he didn't score. man if you're watching worldclass/upper-echolon defenders act like that... i'm done. oh and don't get me started talking about through-balls...... it seems like everyone has a little bit of xavi's/pirlo's-magic... and no it'S not my tactics, i guess in the end it is, but the real question is, how is defending and all the other stuff implemented into the game. for now i would say pretty poorly!

SI should really consider implementing both phases of football. the attacking side and the defending one.

BADAD580C1BBC251166779A5AE71ECE0BB2C792A

this red card was odd, I saw the tackle, it said along the bottom "the referee is reaching for a card here" then... ref stands there not holding a card and the player wlaks head in hands, it said nothing about the red card, and it isn't at the bottom.

very odd

oh and O.Gs...in a previous match I got a goal from an O.G as well.

79393EF9883BD81AD8210060CB186EEB33DD8939

couldn't see what happened for the firs 1 due to camera locations but the second one, a cross was hit into the area defender runs towards it.. and puts into his own net.

and the keeper would have got to it.

Sure, just check all the thousands games. Let's see, hummm, some PES or FIFA are also being patch-updated several times, right ?... right :lol:

Well, FIFA14 released its third major patch just before Christmas:

https://help.ea.com/uk/article/fifa-14-title-update-details

PES14 (although the data is harder to find) are currently on their 6th patch.

Considering corner goals affect both teams equally, you won't be losing more than you're winning because of them.

Don't really agree with that. If you play a top team that is expected to win the vast majority of their games, you will drop an inordinate amount of points due to corner slop. If anything an excess of set piece goals has a tendency to "even out" clubs.

Don't really agree with that. If you play a top team that is expected to win the vast majority of their games, you will drop an inordinate amount of points due to corner slop.

My experience differs greatly.

Sure, just check all the thousands games. Let's see, hummm, some PES or FIFA are also being patch-updated several times, right ?... right :lol:

Major games ... as detailed as Fm? let me see.... hmmm sims 3?

Have a guess how many patches that game has? .. any idea?... How about ...

this many so far :

http://sims.wikia.com/wiki/The_Sims_3/Patch

You'll find the same for every game that is complex and detailed as this...

Do some homework before you come on and spout rubbish, please.

this many so far :

No problem assuming that I might be mistaken regarding patches and for that I have also no problem apologizing. Nevertheless the game is too far rigid and too far conditioned to a logic of football that is most seen in Britain: a good example is SI's testing team Jack Harvey justifying the calendar bug with Manchester playing Swansea on sunday and Sunderland on tuesday. And although the calendar bug is annoying, the worse part is playing different leagues according to the same brits logic.

Not that I am not happy with this but Liverpool getting relegated in 2020 shouldn't really happen

Why shouldn't it happen? You're what, 8 seasons into the game?

Should Manchester United winning 30 of their first 35 games while conceding only 12 goals all season happen?

Actually what I find most interesting about that league table is that, Wigan and Leeds aside, it's all the same teams still there from this season.

Thinly veiled bragging post IMO :p

These posts about team X shouldn't get relegated etc. Taking this case of Liverpool.

Did you thrash them at all? Thus putting them in a downward spiral. In one of my seasons I played against Arsenal in cups and league 3 times in a couple of weeks. Won them all and they never really recovered.

Don't really agree with that. If you play a top team that is expected to win the vast majority of their games, you will drop an inordinate amount of points due to corner slop. If anything an excess of set piece goals has a tendency to "even out" clubs.

If anything it is the human player who can use that to his advantage. The AI wouldn't recognize set pieces being there "for the taking". I've already seen a shot in which a human player turned both his CBs into bonafide top scorers, with the two starting CBs collecting 20 goals between the two of them over the course of a season.

Obviously something like that is giving you a massive advantage over the AI, as every goal has the tendency to alter what follows thereafter greatly. You can play it more safe, the AI is likely going to open up. Your players will often get a small boost in confidence, and vice versa for the AI (depending on player personality). Not sure this is the same as the "corner exploit" of old, but that sure looked just as such from the statistics.

Only just started playing in friendlies and if I switch from a normal to a counter attacking tactic my players end up in different positions. Winger as centre back, forward as midfielder, that sort of thing. Any remedies to this? It's the same formation so the switch should be seamless! Also on the tactic screen there doesn't seem to be any colours denoting if player a is any good in a certain position. You know the thing, green, yellow, red warnings. Am I missing something?

this many so far :

tbh, the comparison is not really fitting.

The Sims 3 (the core game) was released almost 5 years ago. In the meantime, they released no less than 15 expansions/stuff packs.

Football Manager is a new game every year, or at least is advertised and sold as such.

I'm not saying that EA/Maxis/Sims Studio guys are right and Sega/SI guys are wrong, I'm just saying that they have two completely different ways to develop, release and advertise their games.

Archived