Football Manager 2014 - Update 14.2.2 - Feedback Thread

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Not sure I agree that the one nearest the corner flag is more dangerous?

the one nearer to the corner flag is more dangerous because you need to close the angle not giving a chance to easily pass the ball inside the box; the other one ISN'T less dangerous but it also doesn't need a 3 man wall since it obviously gonna be a cross from high up

the one nearer to the corner flag is more dangerous because you need to close the angle not giving a chance to easily pass the ball inside the box; the other one ISN'T less dangerous but it also doesn't need a 3 man wall since it obviously gonna be a cross from high up

Erm.. no. The one close to the corner flag, is basically a corner. Someone on the defending team could be closer, cutting out a straight pass to the attacking player at the near post. You don't need a wall to do that.

Erm.. no. The one close to the corner flag, is basically a corner. Someone on the defending team could be closer, cutting out a straight pass to the attacking player at the near post. You don't need a wall to do that.

no, it's not basically a corner, corner is taken from line so it cannot be directly passed to a player in thecenter of the inside box as a low pass it needs curve while a freekick from there needs a wall else it means easily conceeded goals(which is the case right now)

This thread goes round and round and round, same old day in day out.

Yes there are still a few wee bugs needing tweaking, nothing really that major that the game is unplayable, some people need to sort out their tactics and certain aspects of there defensive and attacking set ups instead of continually moaning on here.

At the moment I'm playing around with the game until the data update in february, playing a full season then starting again, tweaking tactics and choosing different players to buy. I'll do this until data update, then when that happens, I'm usually all ready and raring to go for 7-8 months of non stop playing.

another example to show how illogical the game is

here hernandez intercepts and makes a header pass to the keeper

j66q.jpg

and seconds later...

tq7u.jpg

So that's an interception by Hernandez and he is heading it back to his own keeper who then saves it because it was too strong a header?

These screenshots are pretty worthless really. It's too hard to interpret player movement and ball movement.

Edit: After seeing the explanation, it appears I got it right and the header was too strong. This does happen doesn't it in real life?

another example to show how illogical the game is

here hernandez intercepts and makes a header pass to the keeper

and seconds later...

tq7u.jpg

I've had that one, the keeper actually deflected it into the goal for me, putting me 2-1 up. :D Definitely a bug.

Anyone noticing a bizarre amount of free kicks from near the corner?

I see them very often and they're pretty much like corners and have the same result - goals.

So that's an interception by Hernandez and he is heading it back to his own keeper who then saves it because it was too strong a header?

These screenshots are pretty worthless really. It's too hard to interpret player movement and ball movement.

Edit: After seeing the explanation, it appears I got it right and the header was too strong. This does happen doesn't it in real life?

the header came bouncing two times so it wasn't strong

Don't get me started, this is the only ball invented which gathers momentum. I think Mitre are currently in negotiations with SI to share the technology.

I'll shut up now.

I always considered the laws of physics to be more like guidelines.

Just had an instance where after the game, once the team talk was done, it won't leave the match. Just takes me to the screen of the pitch, clicking leave match doesn't do anything. I can still goto other pages etc. Only option in the end was to quit the game.

Annoying bug.

I have noticed unrealistic ball trajectory on number of occasions. One of my player took a long shot, the ball got bounced off woodwork straight into keeper's arm while the keeper was facing opposite direction and he had no movement what so ever.

Also too often the ball bounces like a ping pong game in the box only to end up into keeper's arm, again he does not move nor deflect the ball, the ball goes straight into his arm from a powerful six yard shot.

I have noticed unrealistic ball trajectory on number of occasions. One of my player took a long shot, the ball got bounced off woodwork straight into keeper's arm while the keeper was facing opposite direction and he had no movement what so ever.

Also too often the ball bounces like a ping pong game in the box only to end up into keeper's arm, again he does not move nor deflect the ball, the ball goes straight into his arm from a powerful six yard shot.

I notice it mainly on the bounce of the ball. There is no such thing as backspin with this ball. I appreciate that the balls these days are light and go all over the place when in the air, but that is different for how a ball should react when bouncing. Basically it doesn't seem to matter how big the 'arc/loop' of the ball is before it hits the deck, it always scuttles off like a baby turtle heading for the sea. We all know that a high looping ball bounces differently to a low daisy cutter. This needs to be reflected more.

I've played now 6 matches with the 14.2.1 ME, after holding on the update to have a look to the feedback before. I've to say that I'm really happy with the ME, none of the breaking flaws I've read of had materialized.

Of course I still have too much goalposts (as in the previous updates) but:

- i've seen just 1 craziness by my GK, other than a walk outside the area with the ball (but that was the case also in the previous ME)

- i've conceded just 2 goals on corners, otherwise I defended as usual with no particular problems

- i play with high DL, pressing, offside trap and high tempo but I've never been caught out of position by a counterattack

- i've seen just 1 own goal and not really strange, the defender tried to clear a header during a scramble and put it in his own net

- at the moment no mad 'red card' fouls at all

- no strange scoreline

on the other hand, i've seen a much better build up play, a great variety of goals and of passing, much more enjoying to see. All considered, 14.2.1 is in my opinion a step forward in comparison to 14.1.4. Just tweak the corners issue and it would be a wonderful ME!!!

One strange news is that the game seems to record the own goals as goals, i.e. the comment does not reports it as an own goal even if in the post-match it's correctly recorded

Actually, with the mention of jam jameson's post, there is something that's surprised me, coming from FM12- it seems to be a lot harder to get yellow/red cards.

I'm not deliberately trying to get them, of course, but considering my shouts by default always include "Hassle Opponents", "Get Stuck In" and "Use Tighter Marking", I'd got very used to getting a lot of cards. It's part and parcel of the way my team play, and the way I build my squad (large, to deal with suspensions, and with high aggression)- we're never going to win any fair play awards, but I have no issue whatsoever with playing spoiler tactics by default, because they're reasonably effective. The reward generally outweighed the risk.

But in FM14, we've picked up just 14 yellows from 17 League games, and no reds, which puts us comfortably in the middle of the cards table compared with the rest of the league (the top three for yellows have 27, 26 and 18), and those cards are only spread across 7 different players. This is with a squad that I have to rotate a lot for fitness reasons. I'm not really sure what to read into it- tackling being overeffective, perhaps, or referees being too lenient- but it's surprising, to say the least.

Some issues I noticed:

- Keepers taking ages to react to long shots, so they can't get to harmless ones in time and they go in

- Keepers when faced with shots backing up so they're almost behind their goal line, when they get a touch it's already in, or they parry it in anyway

- Too many goals from corners

- Wingers shooting all the time instead of doing a cutback, when everything points to doing a cross

- So many near post shots going in

Now, some that have been around for a couple of iterations of FM:

- Someone does a slide tackle and it goes cannoning a massive distance, often to a player running through on goal, very unrealistic

- Players taking throw ins and just throwing it straight to the opposition, with no team mates anywhere nearby

- Players running in straight lines to get somewhere, when doing a normal run would allow them to intercept the ball

- Goalkeepers actually widening the angle strikers have. They will often just walk to the opposite side the striker has so he has a tap in or can round the keeper. Ridiculous

Oh and I don't know if it's a bug, but big players/teams undererforming.

Barcelona are knocked out of the CL group stages

Man City are 12th in December

Ronaldo has 14 goals in December

It would be nice for the game to somewhat resemble reality the first few seasons

It would be nice for the game to somewhat resemble reality the first few seasons

Did you start the game in one of the summer seasons or winter? There's a known issue if it's the latter. Otherwise, it's not the worst things that could happen. Remember, the game ceases to become reality the day you first press continue. There could be any number of reasons why those are happening.

I notice it mainly on the bounce of the ball. There is no such thing as backspin with this ball. I appreciate that the balls these days are light and go all over the place when in the air, but that is different for how a ball should react when bouncing. Basically it doesn't seem to matter how big the 'arc/loop' of the ball is before it hits the deck, it always scuttles off like a baby turtle heading for the sea. We all know that a high looping ball bounces differently to a low daisy cutter. This needs to be reflected more.

:applause: seconded. Imagine the havoc the high bouncing ball could cause. Needs to be reflected on different surfaces/weather too.

Only major tweaks for me, are the shooting animations which all look to come off the wrong foot and unatural. The crossing, and the heading. Whenever a ball is crossed, it always seems to go in the same area. A few yards to the side of the 6 yard box near the byline. A header comes in from a fairly unatural looking angle and flys into the back of the net.

Bar that, loving the ME.

Did you start the game in one of the summer seasons or winter? There's a known issue if it's the latter. Otherwise, it's not the worst things that could happen. Remember, the game ceases to become reality the day you first press continue. There could be any number of reasons why those are happening.

Mind you, even starting in summer threw up the oddity of Fulham finishing second in 2013/14, with only Billy Sharp as an additional summer signing, under Martin Jol. They'd been clear away at the top most of the season, but Man City just about caught them with a few games to go.

They then went on to spend £10m in the summer of 2014 and promptly get relegated the next season, after sacking Jol at Christmas and replacing him with Billy Davies. In addition, of course, to losing all six group stage matches in the Champions League (in a group with Barcelona, Celtic and Marseille). Now they're struggling in the Championship under Eddie Howe.

Real case of one-season wonders there.

Mind you, even starting in summer threw up the oddity of Fulham finishing second in 2013/14, with only Billy Sharp as an additional summer signing, under Martin Jol. They'd been clear away at the top most of the season, but Man City just about caught them with a few games to go.

They then went on to spend £10m in the summer of 2014 and promptly get relegated the next season, after sacking Jol at Christmas and replacing him with Billy Davies. In addition, of course, to losing all six group stage matches in the Champions League (in a group with Barcelona, Celtic and Marseille). Now they're struggling in the Championship under Eddie Howe.

Real case of one-season wonders there.

There seems to be no difference in efficiency between dominating with attacking football and creating lots of chances, and parking the bus hoping for a goal on a counter or set piece. Hence, trying to be the best team is pointless. It is also pointless to park the bus because this doesn't stop the opponent from having lots of chances to score. Dominating possession will not have any effect on chance creation and prevention.

This is why there are so many reports of underperforming big teams. Barcelona has won the league once in four seasons in my savegame, finishing at 84 points. The three other seasons they have had 78, 77 and 72 points, and now they are fifth in the December break. So they are mostly not even a title challenger to Real Madrid winning with 85, 90 and 92 points respectively. Here are the real final standings starting with 12/13 and going backwards: 100, 85 (13); 100, 91 (12); 96, 92 (11); 99, 96 (10).

Very much this, in my latest save since the patch Liverpool finished one point off the relegation places and Arsenal mid table, Fulham were third

Also as an experiment I gave Tranmere a multi millionaire owner and funds. They are still in league one 18th with a team that includes Valdes in goal,Diaby, Will Hughes and Diego in midfield and Kozak and Shane Long upfront.

No way should that set of players be getting bottom half in league one

There's nothing more annoying than someone who's so often wrong passing off his nonsense as established fact. Just because YOU don't understand how to do things doesn't mean they cant be done.

There seems to be no difference in efficiency between dominating with attacking football and creating lots of chances, and parking the bus hoping for a goal on a counter or set piece. Hence, trying to be the best team is pointless. It is also pointless to park the bus because this doesn't stop the opponent from having lots of chances to score. Dominating possession will not have any effect on chance creation and prevention.

This is why there are so many reports of underperforming big teams. Barcelona has won the league once in four seasons in my savegame, finishing at 84 points. The three other seasons they have had 78, 77 and 72 points, and now they are fifth in the December break. So they are mostly not even a title challenger to Real Madrid winning with 85, 90 and 92 points respectively. Here are the real final standings starting with 12/13 and going backwards: 100, 85 (13); 100, 91 (12); 96, 92 (11); 99, 96 (10).

why the hell would he shoot from all the way up from there especially when i selected shoot less often?

nx1n.jpg

What else is he going to do with that ball? All the other players on his team are being marked. It's a poor offensive shape limiting the options for him to take.
Seems perfectly normal to me. He has no passing options as all your players are marked. Pretty simple.

An intelligent forward notices the space on his left and runs with the ball.

A not-so-intelligent forward notices the space on his left and tries a through ball: even if the defender recovers the ball, he’ll find himself running backwards, inside his own area, under pressure: who knows what can happen?

A creative forward with great vision tries something even more difficult: he plays the ball to space (more or less toward the FM and SEGA signs) hoping his teammate understands what he's trying to do and sprints to get the ball. Difficult, but not impossible.

A strong, technically limited forward holds on the ball, delays the play, waits for support and tries to at least win a foul.

Shooting is just one (and surely the worst) option.

Question is: does it happen too often?

Quote Originally Posted by SkinningForumVisitor View Post

How do you make her in form you of ending loans?

My calendar tells when my young loan will finish, but the inbox does not.

no helps?

Also, why does job advert include people whos payments are too expensive? It is then the same as staff search.

Do job adverts not include an expected salary in FM? They used to! Silly

And - why does club get angry when you want national job?

If I see any more of those pics trying to illustrate plays, instead of youtube videos or .pkms, I'm going berserk.

What's next, paint drawings, flip books?

Someone needs to bump this thread and get it going again. I'm looking at you, Ackter.

But the two aren't comparable because of the different positions they're taken from. You were comparing them as if they were.

I wouldn't say either is 'absurd'. It's not absurd to not form a wall in one, and it's not absurd to form a three man wall in the other. Maybe excessive to have three in one example and silly not to have one or two in the other but are you telling me you've NEVER seen this in real life?

as an ex semi-pro keeper the general purpose of a wall is to protect one side of the goal from a direct shot, maybe have one extra man on end to help prevent a bent free kick. As a keeper you cover the other half but give yourself the option of getting back to the other side of the goal in case the free kick taker tries to chip the wall

In the instance of the screen shot above where a free kick is taken close to the touch line you would not line up a wall, there would be no point plus you risk being over run in the penalty box. You would use 1 player simply to help put off the free kick taker or stop him getting a return ball. The only time you might have more than one player in the "wall" would be if you thought there was a chance the free taker taker could get a shot on target. However in the instance of the diagram as a keeper you would be more concerned with getting the right defender on the right attacker to help prevent a headed chance at goal or a near post flick-on. The keeper might have 1 defender on near post or none, depends if you hold an offside line on the 6 yard box. Having a 3 man wall is simply a waste of time

The under-hit passes are incredibly annoying, far too many of them.

Acknowledged by SI or worth putting pkm's up?

yes thats an acknowldged issue also. However I think pass ballistics may be a difficult area because it will impact another set of considerations such as control / first touch etc

Often the issues are visible and fairly easy to observe but the issue is more often around the potential impacts of any changes and without major overhaul it may be a case of better the small devil you know.

Always worth uploading PKM's as the SI guys will upload these to the bugs and have more evidence and PKMs to review any potential fixes

Archived