Football Manager 2014 - Update 14.2.2 - Feedback Thread

so you actually think that what happened in that screenshot is perfectly normal.ok thank you i won't be needing more help and if this way of thinking is the thing you take into consideration when making this game then it's no surprise why the game is devolving with each new addition or patches

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
ok then once again if that particular button cause much less attacking options then why is it there?

It doesn't.

The problem is that a lot of people don't know how to properly apply tactical synergy between the instructions. My experience in the tactics forum is that people never really think about how each instruction affects the others, or what your tactical shape will do in combination with different tactical instructions etc. In short, they know what they want to do, but don't know how to translate that through the tactical instructions open to them.

What else is he going to do with that ball? All the other players on his team are being marked. It's a poor offensive shape limiting the options for him to take.

i'm sorry i was applying youe advise about turning CMa into a CMd

ok then once again if that particular button cause much less attacking options then why is it there?

Seriously?

Can you not see that in certain formations/tactics it can be a benefit whilst in others a hindrance?

In your screenshot in that split second it was a slight hindrance.

I'll also post my previous edit in case you missed it:

EDIT

Further to my earlier post, have you given much thought about how you want your team to defend? and how much thought have you given to how your team attacks? What happens when you win the ball? who is available for a pass? how do you transition the ball from defence to attack? who makes the runs? who provides the passes? who is available to take the shots? Who provides the width? Do your instructions help to follow that plan through?

You need to give thought to these things when building your tactics, not just hope for the best and then blame the game!

so you actually think that what happened in that screenshot is perfectly normal.ok thank you i won't be needing more help and if this way of thinking is the thing you take into consideration when making this game then it's no surprise why the game is devolving with each new addition or patches

Seems perfectly normal to me. He has no passing options as all your players are marked. Pretty simple.

I'm assuming he's a right footed player (judging my the foot he's shooting with)?

Not sure what is realistic about all teams having an average of 1 goal against at the end of the league, maybe its realistic in Britain but not in other countries. Other users playing different saves are noticing the same

Given that SI are a UK company making the game where a large portion of customers are also in the UK I would imagine the ME is slightly biased towards the type of football we see in the UK.

You have 2 players on top of each other on the left and 2 players on top of each other in midfield. Not to mention that everyone is being marked and that the forward has ZERO passing options. He tried a shot... I don't see what other options he had.

cainite - you went through a spell of posting these images in the Tactics Forum a week or so ago.

From what I saw back then, there are occasional examples of bugged behaviour in your images (as much as one can gain from images which have no context).

For example, I agree that there are occasions where the ball carrier should carry the ball closer to goal before belting it.

On the whole, however, a lot of your images are legitimate decisions from players who have no options.

Yes, there are ME bugs and they are being worked on, but the examples which merely constitute a forced piece of bad play in the absence of options, should not be regarded as bugged.

Given that SI are a UK company making the game where a large portion of customers are also in the UK I would imagine the ME is slightly biased towards the type of football we see in the UK.

Right, but If SI bothers to make a game with almost every league in the world, they should take in account the other countries reality not their own. If the logic is based on what they see in Britain, then remove all other leagues.

You have 2 players on top of each other on the left and 2 players on top of each other in midfield. Not to mention that everyone is being marked and that the forward has ZERO passing options. He tried a shot... I don't see what other options he had.

i'm talking about the ss in which player from porto is taking a shoot from way beyond when (i think) he would have a better chance if he had kept dribbling

That's the problem?? It's pretty much a corner, so I'm not sure what a wall is going to do. I'd rather have those 1 or 2 players defending in the box.

that's only one screenshot i was able take in this game , i see almost every game instances in which the f reekick is taken much nearer to the box and still no wall and more than oftewn this ends up in a simple pass into the box and a stupid goal

i just love how selective you are in answering.you explain what you can by trying to put them into some strange logic and leave the other instances out such as this one. werner will play the ball back instead of touching it into the net.

yjfe.jpg

i just love how selective you are in answering.you explain what you can by trying to put them into some strange logic and leave the other instances out such as this one. werner will play the ball back instead of touching it into the net.

You are equally selective with your images, and, if I remember correctly, you didn't manage to upload a .pkm for Cleon to look at which would have given these images some in-game context.

That image can be looked at in two ways for me - i) He should wrap his foot round the ball and get a shot on goal ii) The defender seems quite tight. Has he got hold of the player? Is the striker distracted by his presence?

Just shows how pointless posting still images is, if you can get polar opposite possibilities from the same image.

I know you have done a good job of posting a few .pkms in the Bugs Forum. It is more proactive to continue to do that, than it is to contribute to a circular "debate" in here.

You are equally selective with your images, and, if I remember correctly, you didn't manage to upload a .pkm for Cleon to look at which would have given these images some in-game context.

That image can be looked at in two ways for me - i) He should wrap his foot round the ball and get a shot on goal ii) The defender seems quite tight. Has he got hold of the player? Is the striker distracted by his presence?

Just shows how pointless posting still images is, if you can get polar opposite possibilities from the same image.

I know you have done a good job of posting a few .pkms in the Bugs Forum. It is more proactive to continue to do that, than it is to contribute to a circular "debate" in here.

except i did provide it -even named it CLEONwhatevermatch-

and concerning the particular ss so from your point of view, the defender got a hold of him ,werner can find time to pass the ball back to a certain player but no able to take a simple shot?

Hello, in defense of Cainite, who seems to raise some valid points, I would like to say that I find certain situations very annoying as well. I can add that I have scored in my last 6 games only from corners or rebounds from corners, which in my book is not okay. I was really playing very well in the premier league, with the occasional corner goal, but I have been conceding like a madman lately, with the exact same team and team and player orders. Always letting an attacking player slip through my worldclass defense and also taking goals from corners. This is really not okay. On top of that, my strikers and inside forwards or wingers keep shooting long range shots straight to the moon. I'm talking about players with attribute 18 for long shots. I don't exactly expect them to score a goal each time, don't get me wrong, but you can't deny there's a problem there. As a lifelong FM supporter I must admit I'm hugely disappointed in the current update. It has really taken the fun away from me. I hope the new patch brings better tidings.

yjfe.jpg

Although i disagree with problems you suggest in most of your screen shots i do agree that the striker should be shooting from here.

except i did provide it -even named it CLEONwhatevermatch-

and concerning the particular ss so from your point of view, the defender got a hold of him ,werner can find time to pass the ball back to a certain player but no able to take a simple shot?

The point is it is one decision in one match. You have convinced yourself it is an issue and that's fine, but it isn't necessarily a bug and you don't seem able to consider that.

If you are convinced it is a bug, let SI review the .pkm by posting it in the Bugs Forum and they'll let you know their view.

and Cougar2010 i know that in this position he has no one to pass in the forward area i can see that.what troubles me is that a)no matter how closed his passing options would be NO player would take a shot from there be it messi or some 5th league player he would try to hold onto the ball or dribble it backwards B) why my player wouldn't provide passing options when i instruct them to make forwards runs

2 games in 4 days is not unheard of, though if it's happening regularly then it's a problem.

2 games in 3 days, as far as I know, is always a problem.

Regarding the screen shot, I don't see that much of a problem with someone coming at the goal from an angle taking a long shot. His other options are try to take the ball more centrally, in which case the defender to his left comes into play, or rush at the keeper making the angle of the goal even smaller and harder to hit. It's something you see in football quite often.

6 injuries is not excessive. That's about average for a team at any given time. Excessive is 10+, and even that happens regularly in real life. The number of injuries, on average, in FM have always been at a slightly lower level than what happens in real life.

Regarding games played in days, I could quote a rl example where my supported team (in Scotland, 2008) played 2 games in 3 days three days twice, 3 games in 5 days and 9 games in 22 days...including a domestic final and a European final...all in the one season.

Needless to say, they eventually combusted by the end but it does happen sadly!

Again, the key word here is 'against'. That's twice you've posted about this game, and on both occasions have only mentioned the amount of goals conceded from set pieces.

Are you also scoring from an abnormal amount of set pieces? Because if that's normal, then perhaps it IS tactical that you're conceding far more than you're scoring.

You say you're falling foul of the admittedly lame header from the defender back into the middle of the box. This part IS an issue IMO, and happens too often. That said, perhaps instead of sticking to the default tactics to defend these corners, you could try something else? I never use anything but the default tactics either, but I also don't concede a disproportionate amount of goals from set pieces, so I've no real need to change it. Maybe the way your team defends set pieces naturally isn't as effective? Who knows, every team is different.

Not saying set pieces definitely aren't bugged, but if I was you, I'd be trying every avenue within the game that's available to try and stop it before giving up with it.

Or I could simply do something else. There's a lot of other stuff out there, and rather than throwing good money after bad, as it were, I'll just play one of the literally hundreds of other great games. When SI's next patch comes out, I'll see what's changed and if it's better.

no.... Wall

This is a known issue as is when there is one that the wall can set up at the wrong angle

Other issues: unlikley to have a player covering the far post, ref is in the wrong position as they are for all corners, no marking of most forward attacking player......

And as for all teams in a League having at the end of the season an average above 1 goal against (example: best defense, 30 matches played, 35 goals against) ???? anyone having this one ?

From last season:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012%E2%80%9313_La_Liga#League_table

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012%E2%80%9313_Premier_League#League_table

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012%E2%80%9313_Serie_A#League_table

Nearly every team in real life finishes the season conceding more than 1 goal per game.

What utter balls. Concede from yet another corner and then concede another goal from my own corner.

I have one player set to stay near the half way line, yet that was completely ignored and the opposite team had a striker all alone near the half way line that went on to score.

Nearly every team in real life finishes the season conceding more than 1 goal per game.

There are, of course, exceptions such as P-SG and Bayern, but they are somewhat dominant forces in their own league.

As you state, in the regularly competitive leagues (or even the two horse La Liga), goals conceded are generally in line with games played.

yes, indeed

its all ready been logged and acknowledged by SI, as has the very occassional situation when multiple players ball watch (effectively an issue with ball recognition)

However in the grand scale of things these are rare.

I see people people noticing issues and goals when they are defending yet likely ignore issues when their players score from them....its human nature

There are, of course, exceptions such as P-SG and Bayern, but they are somewhat dominant forces in their own league.

As you state, in the regularly competitive leagues (or even the two horse La Liga), goals conceded are generally in line with games played.

Which is what I'm seeing. Real Madrid finished on 25 goals conceded in the season I just played, whereas I conceded 22 with Barca.

And as for all teams in a League having at the end of the season an average above 1 goal against (example: best defense, 30 matches played, 35 goals against) ???? anyone having this one ?

its all very well posting this but how does it relate to real life goal ratios. I find strange how people complain about "issues" yet haven't actually bothered to check if its really an issue / compare the actuals.

I had a weird but no unexpected thing happen today. A long ball was hit but it wasn't good and came towards my defender, he collected, didn't make the bad first touch, ran slightly to the left side of pitch with it then just stopped and the ball rolled away from him and a striker ran in crossed to a free player. Why did he stop!?!?

Also I don't know if this has happened to anyone else. It's not the most implausible thing but I'm in my 7th season and I've been drawn against Leicester 6 times in 14th cups that have happened, but 4 of those in last three seasons. 3 years in a row in the league cup and this season in league cup and FA cup.

I wasn't sure what the best angle was to capture this, but it's a belter. The keeper has obviously noticed someone in the stand selling hot dogs and just can't resist rushing over....meanwhile my winger has an open goal (he did score!)

vT7HIDL.jpg

:lol:

You're still managing in Scotland, aye? Maybe he's off to give someone a square go.

I had a weird but no unexpected thing happen today. A long ball was hit but it wasn't good and came towards my defender, he collected, didn't make the bad first touch, ran slightly to the left side of pitch with it then just stopped and the ball rolled away from him and a striker ran in crossed to a free player. Why did he stop!?!?

If you could post about that in the bugs forum (with a pkm please), it would be greatly appreciated :thup:

Archived