Football Manager 2014 - Update 14.2.2 - Feedback Thread

I do not believe that this is what Guardiola did at Barcelona. One example comes to mind of Barcelona vs Chelsea in the Champions League Semi-Final and although they lost, they were largely successful playing this style during his tenure. Also, I may be wrong, but it seems like Bielsa has a system and plays that way against all teams.

I do not mind making small tweaks like OI's or changing strategy.

Regards

Shiraz

Guardiola made constant minor tweaks in pretty much every game, exploiting width, depth, positioning, player selection. Not including the number of different tactical shapes he came up with (3-4-3, 3-3-4). he was actually a master tinkerer.

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's scary how many people is struggling with tactics. Seriously, FM is a freaking game, not rocket science and tinkering with tactics. A lot of threads in tactics forum, a lot of people struggling, this is fun? Don't get me wrong, I like this part of the game but some players just want to buy world class striker and enjoy watching him on the field and scoring goals. Right now it's not possible without reading through a lot of tactical crap, some people are not interested in this. For the next version's advertising you should include something like "Before you click continue, read through 50 articles on tactical forum. Otherwise you will be punished badly".

Just saying.

It's scary how many people is struggling with tactics. Seriously, FM is a freaking game, not rocket science and tinkering with tactics. A lot of threads in tactics forum, a lot of people struggling, this is fun? Don't get me wrong, I like this part of the game but some players just want to buy world class striker and enjoy watching him on the field and scoring goals. Right now it's not possible without reading through a lot of tactical crap, some people are not interested in this. For the next version's advertising you should include something like "Before you click continue, read through 50 articles on tactical forum. Otherwise you will be punished badly".

Just saying.

Its a game that involves managing, of which tactics form a fairly fundamental part... People don't have to read any of it, they can just chuck any formation together, and get that world class striker. As long as they are ready to accept the highs and lows that come with doing so.

Just saying.

Yes, as someone who has played all my gaming life, its far more fun now having to think about each game than hammering continue for hours on end each night.

Guest El Payaso

Just saying.

Lol. It takes maybe 2-3 minutes to create a balanced tactic that can do the job for you in most of the games. I haven't really read a single article since FM 2008 and always done well in the game. What the tactics system would need is more versatility so that everyone woudn't be using completely or almost very nearly same style of plays. If you're really struggling even with pre-made tactics then use the FMC.

Guardiola made constant minor tweaks in pretty much every game, exploiting width, depth, positioning, player selection. Not including the number of different tactical shapes he came up with (3-4-3, 3-3-4). he was actually a master tinkerer.

Minor tweaks I agree with. As I understood it, the main part of Barca's game that was pretty much constant was the pressing and short passing.

In the current ME, it seems like you cannot play pre-dominantly with high pressing because smaller teams are so good at playing the counter. I am getting caught on the counter, at will, by teams with far inferior players than mine. I mean, I understand that it will happen some times but not this easily because I have a much higher caliber of players.

Yes, as someone who has played all my gaming life, its far more fun now having to think about each game than hammering continue for hours on end each night.

But this is what I am saying. It is fun for you to have to think about each game and make changes for each game and analyse what is happening a lot but I do not want to do that, I have my job for that. There should be a way for each of us to play the game how we want i.e. a difficulty option.

I didn't read any articles before diving into the tactics. Its evolved from a somewhat dull 'Wingers'-'Cross' with short passing to something that I can tweak with one or two shouts with awesome effect.

Honestly, a lot of it is getting to a tactic that works and then using that as a platform. The ME still has some limitations and quirkiness, and your opponents will sometimes somehow nullify your tactic completely or score the fluke goal to win it while your strikers and AMs shoot everywhere but at goal.

But hey, its a football simulation, and what is football without the occasional RAGE moment.

I am a big fan (drugged) Games manager for 15 years since fm 13 may I landed, small, small, the games won in reality of course, may lose are side games.

It is not a criticism just the point of view of one addicted amongst the other the frustration has replace the side enjoyable

I always play with a high line, sometimes small teams will catch me on the counter sometimes they won't. It's a risk associated with the system and you should expect it to happen to some extent.

To say you are being caught "at will" suggests a different problem though.

Minor tweaks I agree with. As I understood it, the main part of Barca's game that was pretty much constant was the pressing and short passing.

In the current ME, it seems like you cannot play pre-dominantly with high pressing because smaller teams are so good at playing the counter. I am getting caught on the counter, at will, by teams with far inferior players than mine. I mean, I understand that it will happen some times but not this easily because I have a much higher caliber of players.

But this is what I am saying. It is fun for you to have to think about each game and make changes for each game and analyse what is happening a lot but I do not want to do that, I have my job for that. There should be a way for each of us to play the game how we want i.e. a difficulty option.

I play with a high defensive line, and hassle opponents, if its used correctly you wont get caught out constantly.

I also have a job btw, and a life, and pets, and a g/f and all the other things that normal people have, doesnt mean i dont have time to play FM to its fullest. If you dont have the time id suggest trying another game, or give FMC a try, you wont have to go through all the time consuming things which will free up more time so you can focus more on the tactical side of things.

To be fair, for the first time in a long time 'copying Barcelona' i.e high pressing, short passes, high line, patient build up, possession is everything etc may not be the optimal way to play for most teams this time round.

You need World Class players to consistently break down parked defences with this approach. i dont really want to see Tonbridge Angels winning Skrill South playing this way.

I, for one, got sick to death of all the Tiki Taka tactics that have dominated the FM scene for years so I actually find this refreshing.

In fact Real Madrid under Mourinho may be a better model, high tempo, direct at times and set up for the counter attack may be a more balanced approach suiting a wide range of situations.

That's certainly what i'm working towards.

p.s i can almost guarantee that's the first time Barcelona, Real Madrid and Tonbridge Angels have been mentioned in the same article :lol:

Stating FM13 was the best created by SI puts you in a different universe of opinions, according to mine :) To me it was barely enjoyable only after the last patch. Anyways....

I'm achieving, what exactly made you suspect my tactics are flawed? I regularly dominate my league, won 1 CL, 1 WC and various minor trophies. I read somewhere, someone stated that you have to create a tactic having sense if you want to win in this edition especially. I think I did. So I can't see what's wrong with my tactics :)

Ah no wait.. if somebody moans, it's because of his tactic! Sorry I forgot this hehe! Thanks for your advice ;)

Well... this is pretty what every manager does IRL. Mourinho stated, when managing Inter Milan, he had to set 3 different tactics along 1 match only to counter the opponents. At least this is what happens in italian league.

Agreed, FM13 was an abomination and as the ME is still rank it rather proves the point that this (and so the FM13) ME is no where near right. Of course some will point to the "amayyyyyyyyzing" collision avoidance. Oh yeah?, I have hardly noticed but I have noticed the collision avoidance issue that exists still, namely the goalkeeper and the ball colliding! ie they don't when they should.

As one of the few token females who play the game and as someone who waits a while before posting her thoughts, here is my simple feedback.

I'm really enjoying FM14.

I'm not hardcore in that I choose a very low league team but hardly a 'glory hunter' either as I chose Wolves in League 1 to start...and have played the game like a realistic person who's supported team is Rangers and so has no great affinity with any English team. I try to balance natural loyalty with money and my contract.

Perhaps I'm fortunate, I've played through the various patches and my game experience has been one of sheer fun. I'm guessing Wolves were always onto a winner with their squad in such a low league but it's all been roses for me. Eventually, I left them for Arsenal...which hurt to do but that's the beauty of the game. I reckoned tripling my salary in rl would make me do it. I still look out for them lol.

I've spent time studying the tactics forum, placed a lot of thought into my signings and formation and hey, it's going well for me. I've no wish to boast of my achievements, I'm doing well and more importantly, it's a load of fun. I've not edited a thing.

I've just had the Champions league final vs Man City....which went to pens and I played it out in full (I usually use key)...it was great. No game can make me so nervous in watching it go to penalties and I was genuinely emotional when we won. My god, I even dreamt about it afterwards.

I've played since '97 and this is the most fun I've had....ever.

Don't get me wrong, it's not about the winning, it's about seeing things improve when I tweak tactics and talk to my players, understand the problems and correct them....

Ya it's not perfect...I score far too many from defenders at corners but seem to concede none at at all myself lol.

I guess my playthrough so far is different to many but for me, it's been a great experience.

Thank you.

Just thought I should give SI some positivity for I've had a lot of fun so far :)

Can someone confirm that after starting a new game on 14.2.1 you need to holiday when unemployed to get jobs? I've spent 3 seasons at Guiseley overachieving losing in the playoff final. Decided to let my contracct run out (yet still had to resign after I still seemed to be at the club a week after it expired) and manually no teams have offered me a job.

Can someone confirm that after starting a new game on 14.2.1 you need to holiday when unemployed to get jobs? I've spent 3 seasons at Guiseley overachieving losing in the playoff final. Decided to let my contracct run out (yet still had to resign after I still seemed to be at the club a week after it expired) and manually no teams have offered me a job.

From SI:

That's correct, fix will work on save games but you will have to use the holiday options rather than applying manually.

On the contract running out... if it runs out, you'll be on a month-to-month so you need to resign if you want to leave.

I found that my tactics have just stopped working and i can only win like 1 in 5 games, whereas on previous patches playing teams of the same caliber i could win 3 or 4 in 5.

I know that it says the match engine hasn't been tinkered, but im not the only one having this problem. If you go over to the steam discussions its filled with complaints like mine.

Just conceded a goal where the opposition defender cleared it from near their own box, only one of my defenders goes to track the ball..but stops running allowing the attacker of the other team chase the ball down, my keeper comes out a bit then stops, and they score.

:D

The AI is shocking.

I found that my tactics have just stopped working and i can only win like 1 in 5 games, whereas on previous patches playing teams of the same caliber i could win 3 or 4 in 5.

I know that it says the match engine hasn't been tinkered, but im not the only one having this problem. If you go over to the steam discussions its filled with complaints like mine.

And it hasn't. Not sure why you're not grasping this.

Do you know why you've stopped winning? Are you watching the game to see where it's going wrong?

Just conceded a goal where the opposition defender cleared it from near their own box, only one of my defenders goes to track the ball..but stops running allowing the attacker of the other team chase the ball down, my keeper comes out a bit then stops, and they score.

:D

The AI is shocking.

Its possible its a bug but alternative explanations could be: Its either a graphical glitch, the defender attempted to head/clear the ball and mis-judged it or was fouled/knocked by the ST.

Its possible its a bug but alternative explanations could be: Its either a graphical glitch, the defender attempted to head/clear the ball and mis-judged it or was fouled/knocked by the ST.

A graphical glitch that doesn't represent the match engine properly is still a bug.

I started a new game on 14.2.1. Does that still mean I have to holiday?
Yes, you still have to.

I think this is wrong. Holidaying on my 14.2.1 game got me no interviews or offers at all, for a game year. Coming off of holiday and applying manually did.

I think this is wrong. Holidaying on my 14.2.1 game got me no interviews or offers at all, for a game year. Coming off of holiday and applying manually did.
I'd like to point out that there is a remaining issue we are aware of where applying for jobs manually will see your application sometimes be unsuccessful.

So if you are starting a new game unemployed as a low rep manager I would recommend selecting to go on holiday indefinitely whilst applying for jobs at Any Clubs.

You will then be brought back from holiday when offered an interview.

We are working on the remaining application issue.

Cheers,

Ben

From this thread http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/378631-14.2.0-impossible-to-start-unemployed

Seems like some people are still encountering issues, but they are recommended that we go on holiday to apply. Maybe post in there lawlore? You might have an issue that will help them fix this bug completely.

Well, as I've played 10 league games a few FA Cup games with the latest ME I feel qualified to provide some feedback.

PROS

1. Absolutely superb tactical representation of real-life football. Recently played an online game against a vastly superior side and managed to keep them to 1-0 until the last 15 minutes or so when we had to chase the game. We had to go for it, left space behind us and lost 4-1. I don't mind losing when I know why I've lost. Currently 5th in the Conference South with lowly Gosport (predicted 22nd), and I'm doing it by keeping things simple and ensuring that my defence is well-organised, compact and well-drilled. Conceded just 7 goals in 10 league games through this approach.

2. There is now a very discernible difference in the way teams play when different attacking roles for the forward players are selected. When a target man is utilised, teams do indeed try to hit him directly and bypass the midfield. When a DLF or False 9 is used, teams generally try to feed it into him. Great stuff. For the first time ever I've managed to get a big man/little man partnership working.

3. Wide play is excellent. In FM12 wingers were far too effective. In FM13 they were plain broken. Now they function as they would in real life when given their appropriate roles. Excellent work.

4. Ball physics are superb - the best of any FM game ever.

5. The variety of goals is outstanding. I have not seen two identical goals so far. Screamers, glancing headers, free-kicks, scrambled goals...they're all there.

6. General build up play is outstanding. Easily the most realistic football matches I've seen in any FM game. If the graphics and animations were much better it wouldn't be to far behind FIFA, which is a huge compliment to SI, especially when you consider the depth of the game.

7. Defending has been improved considerably. As my Gosport side lacks attacking flair I have had to build my side around being VERY solid and hard to beat, and it is working a treat.

CONS

1. Corners. Please fix outswinging corners. 75% of them end up in the side netting. You can get round this issue by having right-footed players take corners on the left and vice versa, but still...

2. I am seeing some crazy penalty shootout scores. In one game Sutton Utd won 14-13 on penalties, which is obviously not very realistic.

3. Occasionally a defender will play a silly back-pass to the keeper which is nowhere near and ends up going for a corner. This could be a reflection of my ultra-defensive approach to the game and it is certainly not a major issue, but it does irk somewhat.

4. Maybe the accuracy of crosses could be improved VERY slightly.

5. And that's about it!

Great game and excellent ME. Easily the most accurate representation of real-life football yet. Keep it up. Now that the horrendous unemployment bug has been resolved I can carry on with my save.

3. Occasionally a defender will play a silly back-pass to the keeper which is nowhere near and ends up going for a corner. This could be a reflection of my ultra-defensive approach to the game and it is certainly not a major issue, but it does irk somewhat.

I started a bug thread and loaded probably 7-8 examples of exactly this (here) so hopefully it gets eradicated.

I've found 14.2 seems to have invented a few new ways to concede corners; long and wildly misplaced back passes is one, 'keepers walking the ball out of play is another, and they also come to the edge of their six yard box and dramatically tip long free kicks over the bar too (when it looks like it could be caught or punched forward).

From this thread http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/378631-14.2.0-impossible-to-start-unemployed

Seems like some people are still encountering issues, but they are recommended that we go on holiday to apply. Maybe post in there lawlore? You might have an issue that will help them fix this bug completely.

Thanks for the link, I have done now. Hopefully it may be of some small use.

Well, as I've played 10 league games a few FA Cup games with the latest ME I feel qualified to provide some feedback.

PROS

1. Absolutely superb tactical representation of real-life football. Recently played an online game against a vastly superior side and managed to keep them to 1-0 until the last 15 minutes or so when we had to chase the game. We had to go for it, left space behind us and lost 4-1. I don't mind losing when I know why I've lost. Currently 5th in the Conference South with lowly Gosport (predicted 22nd), and I'm doing it by keeping things simple and ensuring that my defence is well-organised, compact and well-drilled. Conceded just 7 goals in 10 league games through this approach.

2. There is now a very discernible difference in the way teams play when different attacking roles for the forward players are selected. When a target man is utilised, teams do indeed try to hit him directly and bypass the midfield. When a DLF or False 9 is used, teams generally try to feed it into him. Great stuff. For the first time ever I've managed to get a big man/little man partnership working.

3. Wide play is excellent. In FM12 wingers were far too effective. In FM13 they were plain broken. Now they function as they would in real life when given their appropriate roles. Excellent work.

4. Ball physics are superb - the best of any FM game ever.

5. The variety of goals is outstanding. I have not seen two identical goals so far. Screamers, glancing headers, free-kicks, scrambled goals...they're all there.

6. General build up play is outstanding. Easily the most realistic football matches I've seen in any FM game. If the graphics and animations were much better it wouldn't be to far behind FIFA, which is a huge compliment to SI, especially when you consider the depth of the game.

7. Defending has been improved considerably. As my Gosport side lacks attacking flair I have had to build my side around being VERY solid and hard to beat, and it is working a treat.

CONS

1. Corners. Please fix outswinging corners. 75% of them end up in the side netting. You can get round this issue by having right-footed players take corners on the left and vice versa, but still...

2. I am seeing some crazy penalty shootout scores. In one game Sutton Utd won 14-13 on penalties, which is obviously not very realistic.

4. Maybe the accuracy of crosses could be improved VERY slightly.

5. And that's about it!

Great game and excellent ME. Easily the most accurate representation of real-life football yet. Keep it up. Now that the horrendous unemployment bug has been resolved I can carry on with my save.

First class post sir, bravo.

Madrid 2 years ago.. Knob!

No need for the insult, is there?

They scored 121 goals that season, which is wildly out of sync with the norm. As far as I know, few, if any other teams have managed do that at that level in modern times, and even then it was just one season. You're implying your team is scoring more than 125 league goals over multiple seasons, which is hugely unrealistic.

Is there a bug with the keeper passing to a selected player.

Not once has the keeper passed to the right back, always just hoof up the bitch. Just conceded due to it.

More keeper errors, just went 2-1 up. Capoue headers it back from near the half way line to Lloris, instead of Lloris picking the ball up comfortably. He dives on the floor and the ball which was rolling slowly, hits him and then rolls into the goal. :D

this is beyond tedium now, every away game mistakes lead to goals for the opposition, players just dance around players running at goal and a defender gets sent off for 2 bookings in half an hour, oh and passes are not reaching the target AGAIN, it is 10 yard passes along the floor for crying out load.

and no it isn't my tactics, because I dominate at home.

shots hit the keeper, and bounce into the goal, other times they ping behind (as they should)

Indirect free kicks to a guy at the farthest point is always a goal.

players attacking near post sometimes not in line with the goal so head wide.

wingers are shooting when it isn't possible to score and just fire a shot across the face out for throws.

oh and Chelsea are taking long throws from day 1 why?

No need for the insult, is there?

They scored 121 goals that season, which is wildly out of sync with the norm. As far as I know, few, if any other teams have managed do that at that level in modern times, and even then it was just one season. You're implying your team is scoring more than 125 league goals over multiple seasons, which is hugely unrealistic.

Sorry for the abuse as you have gained reputation as someone who loves to argue against other people's complain and tactics. Yes multiple seasons, 1st season 116, 2nd season 127, 3rd season 132, and now I am going into my 4th season. I am more than happy to provide screenshot.

this is beyond tedium now, every away game mistakes lead to goals for the opposition, players just dance around players running at goal and a defender gets sent off for 2 bookings in half an hour, oh and passes are not reaching the target AGAIN, it is 10 yard passes along the floor for crying out load.

and no it isn't my tactics, because I dominate at home.

shots hit the keeper, and bounce into the goal, other times they ping behind (as they should)

Indirect free kicks to a guy at the farthest point is always a goal.

players attacking near post sometimes not in line with the goal so head wide.

wingers are shooting when it isn't possible to score and just fire a shot across the face out for throws.

oh and Chelsea are taking long throws from day 1 why?

Tedium is these repeated posts from you, and still no confirmation as to whether or not you are posting in the Bugs Forum.

I hate to think what you'd be like if you were losing. Somehow you still string these incredible winning sequences together on your Man U save in spite of all these bugs. Remarkable, really.

Regarding Chelsea, look at the PPMs of their players.

As one of the few token females who play the game and as someone who waits a while before posting her thoughts, here is my simple feedback.

I'm really enjoying FM14.

I'm not hardcore in that I choose a very low league team but hardly a 'glory hunter' either as I chose Wolves in League 1 to start...and have played the game like a realistic person who's supported team is Rangers and so has no great affinity with any English team. I try to balance natural loyalty with money and my contract.

Perhaps I'm fortunate, I've played through the various patches and my game experience has been one of sheer fun. I'm guessing Wolves were always onto a winner with their squad in such a low league but it's all been roses for me. Eventually, I left them for Arsenal...which hurt to do but that's the beauty of the game. I reckoned tripling my salary in rl would make me do it. I still look out for them lol.

I've spent time studying the tactics forum, placed a lot of thought into my signings and formation and hey, it's going well for me. I've no wish to boast of my achievements, I'm doing well and more importantly, it's a load of fun. I've not edited a thing.

I've just had the Champions league final vs Man City....which went to pens and I played it out in full (I usually use key)...it was great. No game can make me so nervous in watching it go to penalties and I was genuinely emotional when we won. My god, I even dreamt about it afterwards.

I've played since '97 and this is the most fun I've had....ever.

Don't get me wrong, it's not about the winning, it's about seeing things improve when I tweak tactics and talk to my players, understand the problems and correct them....

Ya it's not perfect...I score far too many from defenders at corners but seem to concede none at at all myself lol.

I guess my playthrough so far is different to many but for me, it's been a great experience.

Thank you.

Just thought I should give SI some positivity for I've had a lot of fun so far :)

Great post!

I would echo my enjoyment of the current game - have been playing CM/FM since CM2 and Germany since the leagues were available on separate discs (a long time ago then); now playing in 5th Division Germany and finding it the most immersive version ever; the ME isnt perfect (not sure I would ever want it to be - its a game after all) but I put down the odd goal to the fact my team are semi-pro and these things happen - isnt detracting from my enjoyment of the game or my Oberliga title run!

For the first time I am really spending time on tactics and roles and also the exact type of player I want to bring into the club; it isnt enough just to lump 11 highly rated players together and assume they will win every game - someone else posted you have to be dynamic and react to whats happening in the game as you would in real life; contradictory instructions confuse players and some need praising more than others - as a (non-football) manager in real life, this seems fairly realsitic to me.

Long may the fun continue :)

I actually think this version of the ME is the best yet. Not perfect, but something so complex is never gonna be.

However, does anyone else have problems with their goalkeepers kicking?? He never seems to reach my Target Man with his kicks, ever though I have his distribute specifically to him, his kicking is 13 and I have a standard sized pitch..

Goalkeeper kicking distance does irk me somewhat. Experimenting with the IGE to max out strength and kicking doesn't really make much of a noticeable difference so it may just be some wonky targeting. He doesn't have an issue when its a live kick (drop ball + kick) very often though.

Archived