Sports Interactive Community
Stuart Warren

Football Manager 2014 - Update 14.2.2 - Feedback Thread

I know that this is something to go to the wishlist but it's time we have attacking transition instructions and defensive transition instructions.

hello SI members, put the bars on individual slides instructions of the players, but the instructions of the team in general please let stay like this

Because after the latest patch AI teams do not use their players properly during the game setup, so the league tables are all messed up and most players have no played games and no match fitness in February.

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/379059-Reviewed-14.2-Severe-bug-with-AI-teams-when-using-February-2014-start-of-new-game

Can't you just start a game with a "throwaway" manager in Summer 2013 and then holiday until February 2014.

Return from holiday, retire as the original manager and add you as a manager and select the club you want to start with?

This Viking. Just start the game in June/July and holiday till January/February and add your manager. It's a workaround, yes, but it'll do the job.

hi mates;

i didn't want to open a new topic and post my question, and i hope i would have some answers.

the problem is:

you have a team with manager playing 4-3-3 and that manager recruit two or three wingers with lot money (50 or 60 millions), and meanwhile a job is opened the manger goes .

the club recruit another manager (of course) but this time the new manager plays (3-5-2) or (4-2-2-2) [or a manger who do not use wingers to be clear]; with this configuration you have a multimillion players (in this case wingers) unused and their value will go down because they will not play and eventually the club will lose the investment on those wingers.

why SI will not make the boardroom or who decide to recruit the manager much smarter and recruit a manager who can adapt and play a tactic that are compatible with players on the team.

because in real life you can change one person (the manager) but not hole team .

for example; the FC Barcelona plays 4-3-3 and all youth team plays like the first team , and specially the FC Barcelona B (who plays Liga Adelante) play the 4-3-3 that means they recruit a manager who plays 4-3-3 but in the game when the manager of FC Barcelona B is sacked his replacement will be randomly picked .

i hope i was clear.

thanks.

There's a lot that I am really enjoying about this version of the game but just small observations on my part. I only just got it, which is unusual for me because I normally get it on day one. I am glad improvements have been made.

1) goalkeeping is terrible. Way too many instances of the GK just standing upright as a player goes past, not attempting to get to the ball at all. This happens way too often

2) Agree with the various comments of penalty shootouts. Haven't had an 80 goal one but had one that went close to 40. Just disappointing as it takes away from the game before it.

3) transfer offers - I can accept being low balled but not when a team offers £120k for a player worth £600k as an example.

The ME for the most part is very good, love the Close camera option, and the detail of the game deserves mentioning. Great credit to those who have worked on this. However, I think it still needs a few tweaks here and there.

Can't you just start a game with a "throwaway" manager in Summer 2013 and then holiday until February 2014.

Return from holiday, retire as the original manager and add you as a manager and select the club you want to start with?

This Viking. Just start the game in June/July and holiday till January/February and add your manager. It's a workaround, yes, but it'll do the job.

It's a bit more work for me since I usually repeat the game setup until the PL look something roughly like what I think PL would look like IRL in February (IE Crystal Palace and Hull in the bottom and the usual suspects in the top), but I agree it's a solution until the bug is fixed by SI.

Thanks, guys.

Another thing I've noticed is my players have the ball near the centre circle then or no reason turn round to their own goal and blast it behind for a corner...why is this?!?!

Another thing I've noticed is my players have the ball near the centre circle then or no reason turn round to their own goal and blast it behind for a corner...why is this?!?!

Does DJ Campbell play for your team?

I'm having a problem with squad registration and am wondering if this is a bug, or if I'm just doing something wrong?

I'm playing as Man Utd in the 2015 / 16 season. According to the European Champions Cup (ECC) rules, on Feb 1st 2016 I can swap up to 3 players (btw I have spare space in my squad anyway).

Unlike Premier League registration where I get multiple reminders in my inbox, this doesn't seem to happen for the ECC.

Anyway, it is February 1st, 8:00am so I've gone to the squad registration page and selected the option for ECC registration.

It is telling me that the next date is 22nd June 2016 - even though the rules say that its 1st Feb, as does my in-game calender.

I've got no option to change anything. I'm clicking everywhere like a mad thing and nothing works. Tbh I'm sure I've checked before as well and not been able to make changes.

Does this sound like a bug? Is it a known issue?

Just for added context, I want to remove Adnan Januzaj as the poor lad has broken his leg and is out for 6 months, and replace him with January signing Asier Illarramendi, who is not cup tied, having only played 1 La Liga game for Real Madrid that season and no Champions League games. I also have a full-back signed from Boca Juniors who is probably eligible as well.

Screenshot below with in-game date and registration situation. I haven't made any database changes. After looking around on the forums, I tried verifying my game cache. While that process did find one extra file that needed to be re-downloaded, there's been no change to this problem.

ManchesterUnited_SquadRegistration_zps15a5068e.png

Use the much higher d-line and hassle team instructions with a lower mentality system. If you want to keep a higher mentality, having less players on attack duties will also encourage them to drop deeper in possession.

I'll try this again, but it would be a (pleasant) surprise to me if my wingers would actually be pressurizing the opp full backs and my striker the DCs deep in the opp half in 14.2.0 since for me it never worked to a satisfactory degree even with control in the first place. any lower mentality just made the space these guys were given worse. But as said, I'm happy to give it another shot, thanks for this.

Exactly. Things like specific coding for the half-back role dropping between centrebacks are now possible. The ME will get better and better because of the limiting of inputs. Previously (as an example) I could have a DLF/S, but change all his settings to that of a poacher and he'd play like a poacher. Where's the sense in that? We're now given roles that we can customise, but not so much that he isn't playing that role anymore.

The problem is that for a rigid system like it is now, there aren't enough roles. The half back is quite a funny one. I'd argue that there are half backs and then there are deep laying playmakers dropping between the defenders IRL. Yet in the game I can only achieve this with the half back who's not a playmaker, and has most of the options to change his role greyed out. I'd prefer an option for DLPs and maybe even anchors/DM(d) to drop between centre backs, potentially even in two variations:

- drop between defenders when in possession (forming a back three with the full backs pushing up!)

- drop between defenders when on defense (forming a back 5 out of possession and leave the defense as is in possession - this is what the half back currently does)

I love seeing additional roles added, but I truly believe with the option to freely override settings gone now there have to be even more roles.

I also agree with what was posted earlier that some instructions being greyed out just doesn't make sense. The hold up play stuff is really a great example. From what I remember the DLF is the striker with the lowest mentality setting. All other striker roles have a higher mentality, not making them drop as deep. Now if I want to maintain that low mentality but stil want the guy to play quick I can'T do that. Too restrictive.

The F9 role afaik is a playmaker role, which highlights another problem - I might want to use multiple playmaker roles for all of the traints the specific role offers but would want to make a specific playmaker the primary. I can no longer do that. In the previous FMs, the default playmaker was iirc the most advences playmaking orle on the field. I don'T want my F9 to be the focal point, I prefer my DLP(d) in midfield for that role? I cannot do it now, and I can never really be sure who will be the primary playmaker with the new system.

MAybe this is all known and to be ironed out soon. After all, the Tactics interface has gone through a major overhaul.

Then some of the specific descriptions.

take for example "get further forward". Does it make the player more likely to get into the box (old: put forward runs up a notch) or does it give the player a higher mentality? Seeing that player instricutions seem to solely mimic the old 3-way sliders and dropdown boxes I would assume it's the former. But it's not clear. SO the best way to find out is trial and error.

I'm sorry to say, but on this game it's hard enough to find out if your tactics works without having to work out what the various instructions will actually instruct to player to do first. :).

By the way - Merry Christmas everyone!

I'm having a problem with squad registration and am wondering if this is a bug, or if I'm just doing something wrong?

I'm playing as Man Utd in the 2015 / 16 season. According to the European Champions Cup (ECC) rules, on Feb 1st 2016 I can swap up to 3 players (btw I have spare space in my squad anyway).

Unlike Premier League registration where I get multiple reminders in my inbox, this doesn't seem to happen for the ECC.

Anyway, it is February 1st, 8:00am so I've gone to the squad registration page and selected the option for ECC registration.

It is telling me that the next date is 22nd June 2016 - even though the rules say that its 1st Feb, as does my in-game calender.

I've got no option to change anything. I'm clicking everywhere like a mad thing and nothing works. Tbh I'm sure I've checked before as well and not been able to make changes.

Does this sound like a bug? Is it a known issue?

Just for added context, I want to remove Adnan Januzaj as the poor lad has broken his leg and is out for 6 months, and replace him with January signing Asier Illarramendi, who is not cup tied, having only played 1 La Liga game for Real Madrid that season and no Champions League games. I also have a full-back signed from Boca Juniors who is probably eligible as well.

Screenshot below with in-game date and registration situation. I haven't made any database changes. After looking around on the forums, I tried verifying my game cache. While that process did find one extra file that needed to be re-downloaded, there's been no change to this problem.

ManchesterUnited_SquadRegistration_zps15a5068e.png

Can you raise this here so that some will spot this at an appropriate time and be able to give a suitable response? http://community.sigames.com/forumdisplay.php/369-All-Other-Issues

Cheers.

I'll try this again, but it would be a (pleasant) surprise to me if my wingers would actually be pressurizing the opp full backs and my striker the DCs deep in the opp half in 14.2.0 since for me it never worked to a satisfactory degree even with control in the first place. any lower mentality just made the space these guys were given worse. But as said, I'm happy to give it another shot, thanks for this.

The problem is that for a rigid system like it is now, there aren't enough roles. The half back is quite a funny one. I'd argue that there are half backs and then there are deep laying playmakers dropping between the defenders IRL. Yet in the game I can only achieve this with the half back who's not a playmaker, and has most of the options to change his role greyed out. I'd prefer an option for DLPs and maybe even anchors/DM(d) to drop between centre backs, potentially even in two variations:

- drop between defenders when in possession (forming a back three with the full backs pushing up!)

- drop between defenders when on defense (forming a back 5 out of possession and leave the defense as is in possession - this is what the half back currently does)

I love seeing additional roles added, but I truly believe with the option to freely override settings gone now there have to be even more roles.

I also agree with what was posted earlier that some instructions being greyed out just doesn't make sense. The hold up play stuff is really a great example. From what I remember the DLF is the striker with the lowest mentality setting. All other striker roles have a higher mentality, not making them drop as deep. Now if I want to maintain that low mentality but stil want the guy to play quick I can'T do that. Too restrictive.

The F9 role afaik is a playmaker role, which highlights another problem - I might want to use multiple playmaker roles for all of the traints the specific role offers but would want to make a specific playmaker the primary. I can no longer do that. In the previous FMs, the default playmaker was iirc the most advences playmaking orle on the field. I don'T want my F9 to be the focal point, I prefer my DLP(d) in midfield for that role? I cannot do it now, and I can never really be sure who will be the primary playmaker with the new system.

MAybe this is all known and to be ironed out soon. After all, the Tactics interface has gone through a major overhaul.

Then some of the specific descriptions.

take for example "get further forward". Does it make the player more likely to get into the box (old: put forward runs up a notch) or does it give the player a higher mentality? Seeing that player instricutions seem to solely mimic the old 3-way sliders and dropdown boxes I would assume it's the former. But it's not clear. SO the best way to find out is trial and error.

I'm sorry to say, but on this game it's hard enough to find out if your tactics works without having to work out what the various instructions will actually instruct to player to do first. :).

By the way - Merry Christmas everyone!

great post :applause: and Merry Christmas

anyone elses strikers barely scoring this the latest patch

80% of goals ive seen are from corners and indirect free kicks

same here mate and I'm doing worse because not even from indirect free kicks, just corners

same here mate and I'm doing worse because not even from indirect free kicks, just corners

80% of all goals you see are from corners alone? I'd love to see the screenshot of that stats page!

Tactics, tactics, tactics.

It might sound like a broken record but its a fact. If you can't get your strikers to score you have an issue that is most likely tactical with maybe a little input from player attributes and man management.

My strikers score goals, other peoples strikers score goals, ai team's strikers score goals.

If you have a problem start a thread in the tactics forum, provide pics of your formation/roles etc and you will get advice.

erm.. Played OM won 4-1 (conceded to yet another rubber defender where the ball bounces off them) played cardif won 5-0. fielded a team a weker team, but lots of experiance against Sheefield Wednesday in the league cup, win 2-1 but they play like Barca? what? these 2 teams before were good, but when you got Sheffield Wednesday passing the ball about in a string of 10-12 passes then scoring while top clubs aren't?

Here goes my feedback:

Fm 14 has been a total disappointment for 'me' so far, got the game how many months ago now and still can't play it cos i see so many things wrong with the ME, players are not responding to instructions and wingers rarely cross the ball, my fbs cross more than my wingers, the ME just doesn't look right at all and i know 3 updates have been released but it seems like the ME problems still remain........:confused:

Why the hell can't i sell any players?

My player is valued 22.5m euros and he's wanted by 6 top clubs and the max offer is 13m. What in the hell did you do to outgoing transfers?

Here goes my feedback:

Fm 14 has been a total disappointment for 'me' so far, got the game how many months ago now and still can't play it cos i see so many things wrong with the ME, players are not responding to instructions and wingers rarely cross the ball, my fbs cross more than my wingers, the ME just doesn't look right at all and i know 3 updates have been released but it seems like the ME problems still remain........:confused:

Its getting worse with new patches..

Goalskeepers en defenders are like they only played 1 day football in there carreer.

SI needs to fix this!

This patch continues to annoy me. I have one of my Board Promises as "make most of set pieces" (this promise seems to have randomly appeared on each of the 3 saves I have started on the new patch despite me NEVER having it previously in any FM game) and despite me being 2nd top for goals from corners and 3rd for goals from Indirect Free Kicks the board are very disappointed and the promise rating is at 0%.

Seriously, what have you done with this patch SI? Have you basically decided to put it out just before christmas to ruin peoples games or was it just a rush job which wasn't tested properly? Either way, the game has gone BACKWARDS since Patch 14.1.4 and that is just not acceptable.

80% of all goals you see are from corners alone? I'd love to see the screenshot of that stats page!

I didn't start my save when the 14.2 patch was released, I started it way back so there's no point looking at stats because before strikers were doing just fine.

It might sound like a broken record but its a fact. If you can't get your strikers to score you have an issue that is most likely tactical with maybe a little input from player attributes and man management.

My strikers score goals, other peoples strikers score goals, ai team's strikers score goals.

If you have a problem start a thread in the tactics forum, provide pics of your formation/roles etc and you will get advice.

Hummm, so before this patch my strikers were doing fine, dribbling, passing, scoring, then after 14.2 they are just like a missing person from the match, motivation is fine (Very Good, Excellent), everything is untouchable but before the patch they were scoring, after the patch they aren't doing nothing and the conclusion is.... tactics. Great logic!!! In other patches I didn't have problems with several bugs that people were reporting, yet it didn't mean they weren't there causing problems.

Also, I would like you to explain how does my tactic makes my players have a terrible first touch and this didn't happen at all before 14.2... well, but it must be tactics, tactics, tactics.

Here goes my feedback:

yeah, that's another one, everytime they try a cross there are always 1 or 2 defenders that stops it even when your player has great attributes and the defender is a lot worse.

Hummm, so before this patch my strikers were doing fine, dribbling, passing, scoring, then after 14.2 they are just like a missing person from the match, motivation is fine (Very Good, Excellent), everything is untouchable but before the patch they were scoring, after the patch they aren't doing nothing and the conclusion is.... tactics. Great logic!!! In other patches I didn't have problems with several bugs that people were reporting, yet it didn't mean they weren't there causing problems.

Also, I would like you to explain how does my tactic makes my players have a terrible first touch and this didn't happen at all before 14.2... well, but it must be tactics, tactics, tactics.

You're getting advice. Use it. Otherwise continue to strikers that "don't score". Simple.

There were several issues in 14.1.4 that 80% of this forum won't even have picked up on. One was centrebacks being too happy to close down players when there are other players available to do that. This meant that D-lines could be pulled apart fairly easily, if you knew how. Maybe there is something like that, that your tactic took advantage of but now that it is fixed, you're struggling.

Take everyone's advice and post a thread in the tactics forum.

This patch continues to annoy me. I have one of my Board Promises as "make most of set pieces" (this promise seems to have randomly appeared on each of the 3 saves I have started on the new patch despite me NEVER having it previously in any FM game) and despite me being 2nd top for goals from corners and 3rd for goals from Indirect Free Kicks the board are very disappointed and the promise rating is at 0%.

Seriously, what have you done with this patch SI? Have you basically decided to put it out just before christmas to ruin peoples games or was it just a rush job which wasn't tested properly? Either way, the game has gone BACKWARDS since Patch 14.1.4 and that is just not acceptable.

:applause:

I was quite excited when I read the list of fixings for this patch... now I'm starting to feel that 14.1.4 wasn't this bad, and I'm smiling when I look to fm13.

I think its not acceptable buying a game and going around for months demotivated, annoyed, because of so many bugs, starting a save, ending the save because of another patch and another patch and another patch and things just keep getting bad.

If SI is releasing a FM every year for us to enjoy it for 6 months then release it for half the price :thdn:

My issues are that I've been getting an insane amount of injuries since the update without changing anything in training or tactics, and that I haven't scored any - not even one - long shot, even though my players have spectacular long shot stats. Still, all their attempts end in row z...i would appreciate at least a little better accuracy.

Merry Christmas everyone!

You're getting advice. Use it. Otherwise continue to strikers that "don't score". Simple.

There were several issues in 14.1.4 that 80% of this forum won't even have picked up on. One was centrebacks being too happy to close down players when there are other players available to do that. This meant that D-lines could be pulled apart fairly easily, if you knew how. Maybe there is something like that, that your tactic took advantage of but now that it is fixed, you're struggling.

Take everyone's advice and post a thread in the tactics forum.

Here we have someone that reads a lot, watches full matches, always look for improvement, knows exactly that his team will loose some matches, knows that current ME requires me to be more reactive. Then we have a game with several bugs, a patch is released to fix it, then we have more bugs, another patch, more bugs, another patch, and so on.

Show me, if you please, in the list of fixings of 14.2 about the D-line that I could have taken advantage before and I will go for counseling at the tactics forum... oh and something in the same list of fixings about players first touch that I could also have been taking advantage.

I still think there's something horribly wrong with strikers going 1v1 vs the goalie.

Even guys with proper PPMs just hit it directly at the goalie.

Here we have someone that reads a lot, watches full matches, always look for improvement, knows exactly that his team will loose some matches, knows that current ME requires me to be more reactive. Then we have a game with several bugs, a patch is released to fix it, then we have more bugs, another patch, more bugs, another patch, and so on.

Show me, if you please, in the list of fixings of 14.2 about the D-line that I could have taken advantage before and I will go for counseling at the tactics forum... oh and something in the same list of fixings about players first touch that I could also have been taking advantage.

Personally, I don't care if you go to the tactics forum. There's a massive amount of tweaks and fixes that gets made in each patch. Not all of them are listed, mostly because it is small. If you want some help as to why your strikers aren't scoring, the tactics forum is the place to find out.

In FM13 the standard response from a player whose training performances were critizised was to promise improvement and (often) a morale boost. Rarely, if ever, got a bad response as long as there was some time since the last one.

In FM14 I can only remember getting a positive response once. All the other times they objected and lost morale, despite 30-40 red arrows being proof of poor training performances. Is this an intentional change?

If so, what are the parameters that make a player admit to having been poor in training, and how professional must the player be to accept any criticism at all?

Personally, I don't care if you go to the tactics forum. There's a massive amount of tweaks and fixes that gets made in each patch. Not all of them are listed, mostly because it is small. If you want some help as to why your strikers aren't scoring, the tactics forum is the place to find out.

I know, I read it a lot when I feel I can improve something with my tactic... I don't feel that first touch issues are a tactical problem ( I mentioned this although you keep focusing in the strikers problem), as for my strikers it might be tactical... or not.

Anyone one who thinks the game was better with the earlier patch is seriously having a laugh, if you look back over these threads you will see posts by the score claiming that the patch before was better than the current one and the one before that better still, hogwash, its not perfect but it plays the most realistic football so far.

SI, take a day off, spend Christmas with loved ones, have fun, laugh, drink, do whatever you want, but, for the love of god, work harder than ever starting tomorrow to fix all these issues we're having and make us, your loyal customers, happy.

Almost every person claiming their tactics are messed up by the pitch was not playing a coherent system to begin with. It is so simple to do. Getting the fine tuning sorted can be, granted, actually a bit tricky. But a tactic that wins the vast majority of matches that the team should is fairly easy to find. Come to the tactics forum, read wwfan's 12 steps, read my Pairs & combinations series, read Cleon's latest thread with Sheffield United - post a thread if something is wrong. Just stop bitching and actually do something about it. Can't stand people who moan about something in life that they can do something about.

insane amount of corners. that's my issue.

This and the own goals issue both seem to be caused by the same thing - defenders attempting to clear the ball out across the byline WAY too often.

I like how open play is looking now, a lot. If they can just get to defenders to look forwards sometimes instead of always back, the game will be awesome.

Is the problem with patches

That they are resolving things which make the game too easy for players in an attempt to make the game more "realistic", or is it that the players have too high an expectation of realistic responses from their own players?

Im a little disappointed with 14.1.2. It has fixed the corner tactic cheat, but in doing so, there seems to be a serious imbalance the other way, in that its become overly difficult to mark players at defensive set pieces, leading to a vast increase in the number of goals conceded by teams. There has not been much work, if any, done on the defensive side of the game, as almost every tactic which is appearing in the forums is reliant on a DM, which covers up the fact that centre backs are still not tracking properly, running away from long through balls, and seem unable to distribute forward unless they're set as a Ball Playing Defender (which is fine for the glory hunters in the EPL, but next to useless for those of us playing LLM as the passing stat will always be single digits).

Keepers are atrocious, and each patch seems to fix one problem to generate another. First it was keepers getting regular red cards for handling outside the box, then it was keepers standing still for back passes or long kickouts.

First Touch, which seemed to work relatively well now results in players with FT 19-20 still watching the ball trundle 3-4 feet away from them every time they collect as of 14.1.2

Wingers no longer switch wings with each other when asked.

AI Tackling is near perfect, Human Tackling is like watching a toddler try and kick a balloon, regardless of the stats in that category.

In all honesty, I think theres a drive here towards creating the perfect footballing game for the footballing purist, and I get that. Its where a portion of the userbase is, and things such as FM Classic are for those who just want to plug and play and not worry about the ins and outs of whether a regista or a half back is a better choice to control the pace of the game, and why a Poacher is a wasted idea because its static and too easily marked, regardless of pace, acceleration , off the ball and agility.

But the more things get tweaked, the more the game itself is being ruined for the point of view of being ACTUALLY FUN TO PLAY. Its genuinely depressing to watch your centre back give someone a high five instead of a knee high tackle. Watching your keeper hopelessly leap at balls repeatedly like a kitten chasing string knowing hes going to end up flat on his face with the ball trundling into the net. Watching Mezut Ozil go one on one with the Bradford PA keeper and his first touch roll 4 feet in front of him and onto the keepers feet. When the game works, the process of "Improving" the game is breaking it beyond repair. Ive been here since CM93/94, and I dont think I have seen the forums so filled with people saying they cant keep playing because its so badly broken, people threatening to stop buying the game when the next one comes out (its a hollow threat because the next variant of the game always gets bought. Its like an annual pilgrimage).

So please, for the love of all things To Madeira, make 14.1.2 the ABSOLOUTE LAST PATCH on this game. Yes its broken, but given time, players will find ways around the breakages and we can start developing tactics that work. We can work with the broken parts and start enjoying the game again. We dont need 10+ patches on every version of FM to fix the bugs. If you know it has bugs, dont release the original product. Spending weeks at a time developing tactics which you finally get working just as you want only to find something breaks a key component of it every single time theres a patch is soul destroying. We actually lose our love for the game and it ends up sitting on a Steam gameslist uninstalled until the following year.

Put out the game and leave it to the players to play. If they find a way around the match engine, thats fine, no game is perfect and when millions of people play it day in, day out, they are going to find a way through. The development of the game is NOT about proving you are smarter than the people paying for the product, its about putting out a product that people enjoy and want to find a way around. They'll be back next year to buy the product as long as they enjoy this one in whatever way they see fit. Your revenue streams are safe in that respect.

Oh, and Microtransactions. Selling in game cheats. On a product we already paid £30+ for. Cmon, how desperate are you for revenue. FM13 sold 940,000 copies at the end of your last financial year. Microtransactions are for Facebook games and EA. Do not make us think of you in the same light as those two horrible companies.

Almost every person claiming their tactics are messed up by the pitch was not playing a coherent system to begin with. It is so simple to do. Getting the fine tuning sorted can be, granted, actually a bit tricky. But a tactic that wins the vast majority of matches that the team should is fairly easy to find. Come to the tactics forum, read wwfan's 12 steps, read my Pairs & combinations series, read Cleon's latest thread with Sheffield United - post a thread if something is wrong. Just stop bitching and actually do something about it. Can't stand people who moan about something in life that they can do something about.

Where's your Christmas spirit? :D And on that note, I'm out. Have a Merry Christmas guys and girls, get off the forums and go spend time with friends and family, until they drive you crazy :D

Is the problem with patches

That they are resolving things which make the game too easy for players in an attempt to make the game more "realistic"' date=' or is it that the players have too high an expectation of realistic responses from their own players?

Im a little disappointed with 14.1.2. It has fixed the corner tactic cheat, but in doing so, there seems to be a serious imbalance the other way, in that its become overly difficult to mark players at defensive set pieces, leading to a vast increase in the number of goals conceded by teams. There has not been much work, if any, done on the defensive side of the game, as almost every tactic which is appearing in the forums is reliant on a DM, which covers up the fact that centre backs are still not tracking properly, running away from long through balls, and seem unable to distribute forward unless they're set as a Ball Playing Defender (which is fine for the glory hunters in the EPL, but next to useless for those of us playing LLM as the passing stat will always be single digits).

Keepers are atrocious, and each patch seems to fix one problem to generate another. First it was keepers getting regular red cards for handling outside the box, then it was keepers standing still for back passes or long kickouts.

First Touch, which seemed to work relatively well now results in players with FT 19-20 still watching the ball trundle 3-4 feet away from them every time they collect as of 14.1.2

Wingers no longer switch wings with each other when asked.

AI Tackling is near perfect, Human Tackling is like watching a toddler try and kick a balloon, regardless of the stats in that category.[/quote']

In all honesty, I think theres a drive here towards creating the perfect footballing game for the footballing purist, and I get that. Its where a portion of the userbase is, and things such as FM Classic are for those who just want to plug and play and not worry about the ins and outs of whether a regista or a half back is a better choice to control the pace of the game, and why a Poacher is a wasted idea because its static and too easily marked, regardless of pace, acceleration , off the ball and agility.

You've clearly never played FMC, these things still matter.

But the more things get tweaked, the more the game itself is being ruined for the point of view of being ACTUALLY FUN TO PLAY. Its genuinely depressing to watch your centre back give someone a high five instead of a knee high tackle. Watching your keeper hopelessly leap at balls repeatedly like a kitten chasing string knowing hes going to end up flat on his face with the ball trundling into the net. Watching Mezut Ozil go one on one with the Bradford PA keeper and his first touch roll 4 feet in front of him and onto the keepers feet. When the game works, the process of "Improving" the game is breaking it beyond repair. Ive been here since CM93/94, and I dont think I have seen the forums so filled with people saying they cant keep playing because its so badly broken, people threatening to stop buying the game when the next one comes out (its a hollow threat because the next variant of the game always gets bought. Its like an annual pilgrimage).

So please, for the love of all things To Madeira, make 14.1.2 the ABSOLOUTE LAST PATCH on this game. Yes its broken, but given time, players will find ways around the breakages and we can start developing tactics that work. We can work with the broken parts and start enjoying the game again. We dont need 10+ patches on every version of FM to fix the bugs. If you know it has bugs, dont release the original product. Spending weeks at a time developing tactics which you finally get working just as you want only to find something breaks a key component of it every single time theres a patch is soul destroying. We actually lose our love for the game and it ends up sitting on a Steam gameslist uninstalled until the following year.

Put out the game and leave it to the players to play. If they find a way around the match engine, thats fine, no game is perfect and when millions of people play it day in, day out, they are going to find a way through. The development of the game is NOT about proving you are smarter than the people paying for the product, its about putting out a product that people enjoy and want to find a way around. They'll be back next year to buy the product as long as they enjoy this one in whatever way they see fit. Your revenue streams are safe in that respect.

Oh, and Microtransactions. Selling in game cheats. On a product we already paid £30+ for. Cmon, how desperate are you for revenue. FM13 sold 940,000 copies at the end of your last financial year. Microtransactions are for Facebook games and EA. Do not make us think of you in the same light as those two horrible companies.

I doubt most people would enjoy NOT having patches, but I can only speak for myself and a small number of others, in your post you seem to be speaking for a rather large group, or that is how it comes across to me.

I may be one of the very few who actually enjoys the little in game cheats you can buy if you desire to, but I prefer to earn them. I hope the extra revenue we put into these is doing something, like getting more testers hired or leading to the game not going up in price in the future, if that is the case, I like supporting them with a few extra bucks. If you can afford it, why not?

You're wrong. After 26 games the top scorer in my league is Rickie Lambert with 13 goals. There's only one striker in the top 30 for Average ratings in the premier league in my save: Christian Benteke at 29th.

I wish I could upload an Image for you to see but I can't seem to, unfortunately.

I give credit (a lot) to a few people that post at the tactics section, it takes a good amount of time to produce a good topic with explanations, with or without screenshots, that shed some light into several issues that really helps people and as FM becomes more developed, these topics are most helpful. Then, we have other people that plays FM, understands FM, understands football and by understand it know that football HAS NOT a unique logic, it has several. So when thinking about a game that tries to be as much close as possible to a simulator, the game and the people who produce it should conceive also several logics. If they don't conceive it and if the helpful ones don't conceive it, then we have some kind of "read what we post, what we post is the holy graal of football and the holy graal of FM". Well, neither they are genious, nor we are football illiterates... at least a lot of us aren't, but we are always willing to learn (as any FM manager or real manager would be). So, although some people will always moan maybe because that's their nature and they moan about everything and they moan and complain about every single FM edition being the worst ever, other people don't or when they do maybe they just have a reason to because these ones have read, have learned, actually they even help others and so these ones they just don't moan like little children and really don't like when others makes them feel like children moaning. Not everyting is about tactical problems and about little children moaning about their tactics, there are game issues, problems, bugs and its hard enough to try to keep a smile about playing a game that we pay for bug free and are are still asked to send saves, send pkms, month after month after month... then it all cools down and 3 months later we have another FM edition and it all starts again.

First Touch' date=' which seemed to work relatively well now results in players with FT 19-20 still watching the ball trundle 3-4 feet away from them every time they collect as of 14.1.2

[/quote']

Heh) as previous thread has been closed I’ll post it here one more time)

I see everyone prone to blame “First Touch” for “Knocking” that came with 14.2.0 update but I think it’s wrong because I’m sure “First Touch” used in ME calculation to determine accuracy of “First Touch Passes” and “First touch Shots”.

I think SI add this “Knocking” in attempt to nerf Dribling and Run with Ball and I totally support this decision! Because ”Run with Ball” was very overpowered there was lot of famous “Maradona run” from players in every match and that looked very unrealistic.

You hardly can see “Knocking” thing from players with minimal “Run With Ball” setting, and often from players with maximally “Run With Ball” stetting.

Before 14.2.0 you can easily give your full backs maximally “Run With Ball” stetting and they was able to deliver ball straight to forwards without middle man because even players with average dribbling/flair/agility/acieration/pace was unstoppable -))

After 14.2.0 update you should think twice before giving players maximally “Run With Ball” settings.

Where's your Christmas spirit? :D And on that note, I'm out. Have a Merry Christmas guys and girls, get off the forums and go spend time with friends and family, until they drive you crazy :D

I am actually surprisingly full of it, bar that 20 seconds.

Seeing the lengthiness of this thread I know this post will be futile, but anyway, for the first time after 6 years playing FM franchise I feel I must say that: I'm done with this game!

Ok, let's face it, FM has always been tricky to master, but with some tactics tweaking, effective scouting and useful signings, getting coherent results was doable. But since FM2012 the game has begun to get more and more incoherent and random, and be plagued by bugs or recurring, nonsense "random" events. FM2014 is just so absurd that no matter what you do, you can't avoid getting players injured over and over or drawing or even losing games to low rep teams whom you should be able to crash.

Having played two seasons with Barcelona has been enough to notice that, unless heavily patched, this is by far the worst FM of all the ones I've played.

Every game, no matter the tactic used (already tried 4-4-2, -4-3-3, 4-5-1, 3-4-3 with defensive, control and attacking mentality and different tweaks) results in the team struggling to win. In each whole season i think I won at most 10 games by more than one goal (including Champions League games and Spanish Cup games). Specialy painful was the 5-5 aggregate Spanish Supercup win against... Betis! Tied 3-3 in Benito Villamarín, even though I totally dominated the game. At Camp Nou, the result was once again a tie, 2-2. I got 32 shots (18 on goal) and scored 2, Betis got 2 shots, both on goal, both scored. Possesion was 69-31. Passing accuracy 89-69. CCCs 4-0. Corners 19-1. A real top class performance rewarded with a 2-2. Even though that was tthe most blatant example of how FM2014 works, 90% of my games are similar to that one.

The most infuriating part is that, no matter what you tweak, nothing changes and players keep doing the same things. Here's a list of commands completely ignored by the players:

-Seeing that my players (specialy the defenders) didn't get close enough to the opposition, I cheked "press more", "close down more" and "hassle opponents" first on team commands, then individualy, later on both. No result at all, defenders just won't tackle.

-After noticing that, in the rare ocassion where a defender tackled a rival, it was usually a failed sliding tackle that left the team exposed, I checked the option "Stay on feet", once again first under team commands, then individualy and finally on both, and once again to no avail.

-Most of the goal kicks from my GK (Ter Stegen) were long throws that lead to losing possession, so I individualy checked "pass shorter" (which was already checked under team instructions) and "distribute to defenders". Not the slightest change noticed. Same percentage of goal kicks (around 3/4) aim directly at the forwards.

-Every single shot goes out "skimming" the crossbar or directly to the goalkeeper, even though they are taken from short distance. Tried checking shoot more and less often instructions, changing CF role to Poacher, Target Man, Advanced Forward, Shadow Striker, trained them into different shooting techniques. As you can see in the result against Betis, it was good for nothing.

Finally, no matter how many patches came out, injuries keep being a real pain. Las season almost the whole squad got injured at some point, and the following player got injured severely, with downtimes ranging from 2 to 8 months: Messi, Iniesta, Piqué, Puyol, Alba, Deulofeu, Sergi Roberto, Sergi Samper, Montoya and Fabregas. All of them where injured during a match due to a rival tackle. Fabregas got injured for 8 months, lost around 3 points on each atribute, and 4 months later has recovered none, wich have forced me to sell it cheaper than expected. Same goes for my biggest U19 prospect, who was injured with the U21 spanish national team, spent almost the whole year injured and became a real waste.

Having to withstand difficulties is one of the most amusing parts of a football manager, but the ones found in FM2014 are just ridiculous, and not having the chance to turn the situation with some careful tweaking just makes it worse.

So, as stated above, I'm done with this edition of FM. I just can hope the guys at SI take this seriously and we can get an enjoyable FM in 2015, like we did up until 2011 or so.

Ps: English is not my mother tongue so forgive any mistake or incoherence I could have made :o

What is SI expecting to revert the patch?

My friend just won the champions league and the board didnt renew his contract, just hilarious

Lambie\'s Lovechild

Corners I've only conceded one so far and it’s now early December, I'm top of the league I'm not playing with a DM, and my strikers are scoring. The one thing I would say is that any reasonable set of players well motivated and playing a reasonable set up should do OK, it should not be necessary to have to set up your tactics to deal with long balls over the top against all opponents, however, it would seem that that’s exactly what you have to do, overall I’m happy with first touch but players with poor first touch and technique are still able to take down long balls from over their shoulders with ease, if there is an argument about first touch, it is that simple balls are harder to control than difficult ones.

Since the problem with my strikers is my tactics, here are some stats:

Belgium - 24 matches played / top goalscorer: Privat 14 goals

Spain - 21 matches / Ronaldo 14 goals

France - 23 matches / Cavani 16 goals

Netherlands - 20 matches / Pelle 15

England - 23 matches / Soldado 14

Italy - 22 matches / llorente 13 goals

Portugal - 16 matches / Quintero 10 goals

Russia - 20 matches / Rondon 12 goals

It seems all tactics are screwed

You're wrong. After 26 games the top scorer in my league is Rickie Lambert with 13 goals. There's only one striker in the top 30 for Average ratings in the premier league in my save: Christian Benteke at 29th.

I wish I could upload an Image for you to see but I can't seem to, unfortunately.

Curious because in my save the top placed non striker coming up to mid season is 18th with 6 goals.