Sports Interactive Community
Stuart Warren

Football Manager 2014 - Update 14.2.2 - Feedback Thread

It's not anywhere near as bad as people make out, that's for sure. The problem is that it's something that's never really been in the game before, somewhat unrealistically. So you now have a situation where poor touches happen now and again, and people are screaming blue murder.

And as far as I can remember, SI are only working on slightly improving the first touches of the better players as opposed to there being a widespread issue with them, so if you think you're not going to see any poor touches or mis-controlled balls after the next update, you're probably going to be disappointed.

In your opinion obviously or are you actually calling I, and everyone else who has mentioned it liars? I wouldn't be surprised if you were right enough.

The first touch issue is acknowledged and is being fixed, but is it every single first touch? No.

That's probably what Dagenham_Dave is getting at. People tend to extrapolate limited input to form opinions.

The first touch issue is acknowledged and is being fixed, but is it every single first touch? No.

That's probably what Dagenham_Dave is getting at. People tend to extrapolate opinion based on limited input.

Has absolutely anyone suggested that it's every single first touch and what is this extrapolate opinion based on limited input mean? Are you suggesting that after I watched over 250 games on full match highlights I've made more of the issue than exists for some nefarious reason?

I want to be able to tell the difference between someone who has 18 for first touch and someone who has 12. Right now there is absolutely no discernible difference

Pick two players in the same position with those stats that you see in real life on a regular basis. Can you hand on heart say that you notice on a regular basis the difference in solely the first touches between them over the course of a 90-minute match?

Similarly, have you genuinely been able to notice this on previous versions of the game? The difference in that single stat between someone on 18 and someone on 12 will be negligble at best. There are other attributes that go alongside that one that make the difference between a top class player and a more average one.

It's like people who complain that their midfielder with 12 for long shots has scored more long shot goals than their midfielder with 16 for that stat. Isolating single technical attributes is fairly pointless in the overall make up of a player.

In your opinion obviously or are you actually calling I, and everyone else who has mentioned it liars? I wouldn't be surprised if you were right enough.

Try responding to the post and not the poster, there's a good chap.

Pick two players in the same position with those stats that you see in real life on a regular basis. Can you hand on heart say that you notice on a regular basis the difference in solely the first touches between them over the course of a 90-minute match?

Similarly, have you genuinely been able to notice this on previous versions of the game? The difference in that single stat between someone on 18 and someone on 12 will be negligble at best. There are other attributes that go alongside that one that make the difference between a top class player and a more average one.

It's like people who complain that their midfielder with 12 for long shots has scored more long shot goals than their midfielder with 16 for that stat. Isolating single technical attributes is fairly pointless in the overall make up of a player.

Try responding to the post and not the poster, there's a good chap.

Wow how ironic.

I must admit I get flabbergasted by some responses on here and the tone to which they respond to genuine posters who have issues with the game.

RTH posted in #5893 that there are issues with 1st touch which are being fixed, not all 1st touch but some, so it amazes me when certain posters knock people when they moan about this said 1st touch issue.

Could MODS please look into some of the personal digs in this and other threads as it's not needed.

Dave. There are people that you can disagree with, (like Sussex for example), but with whom you can also have reasoned, articulate and intelligent debate. There is nothing wrong with 2 people, (or even 2 groups of people), seeing exactly the same thing from a very different perspective.

When however you come across someone who is unable to have reasoned, articulate and intelligent debate, then just stop trying. There are regular posters in this thread that have already made up their mind and absolutely nothing you or anyone else says is going to change that.

Maybe best to leave them to it eh.

Has absolutely anyone suggested that it's every single first touch and what is this extrapolate opinion based on limited input mean? Are you suggesting that after I watched over 250 games on full match highlights I've made more of the issue than exists for some nefarious reason?

I wasn't having a dig at you; you have provided two or three of the best feedback posts in this entire hellhole of a thread.

What I was saying was that an awful lot of the "feedback" in here has been people seeing the odd first touch, and then assuming that all first touches are knackered. Ergo long shots, injuries, etc. etc.

You don't need to be Miss Marple to find examples in this thread where that has been inferred by several different posters.

Considering the most scathing criticism get's deleted if it's deemed to not be constructive. I'd personally like to see the the people who simply post. Wooooooo SI, best FM ever posts, also get deleted, as they also, offer no constructive feedback.

At least the criticisms go some way to pointing out faults.

But, hey, we're egotistical beings and as such, like to be stroked and praised, hell, that's why I'm writing this, makes me fell like rogue badass. :cool:

Delete the nice stuff, it helps no one, just promotes complacency

EDIT: 'Tis a joke...However, a completely serious and legitimate point *Joking face with serious eyes*

Yep, and you should try it: http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/385491-Sega-Sports-Interactive-and-FIFA-Manager?p=9446304&viewfull=1#post9446304 There's a demo for the 13 edition still, and 14 is pretty much a data update (Legacy Edition). Have fun, talk to ya later. (Bit of a pet peeve of mine, as in parts the non-availability of Football Manager in Germany meant that FIFA Manager used to be praised to high heaven's over here, even for its very much apparently highly dubious match days at the core of the gig).

That said, thanks for the heads up for FX Eleven, always curious what's happening in this fantastic genre of games (which usually isn't much anymore).

I will never try FIFA Manager or probably even FX11, but I was just pointing out alternatives are there, without putting any bias into my answer. :D

I totally agree on the points put forward in that link you posted, it is why I stopped playing FIFA Manager in 2003 (when it was Total Club Manager) :p

I recently purchased FIFA14 for my son on PS4 for Christmas, and even there, the mindless play is clearly evident. We play on "single player" career mode and the players just pass sideways and backwards and no one wants to score. 95% of our games end 0-0 playing 6 min halves, and we had to bump it to 30 minute games (15 halves) just to see goals. Playing as a whole team is a different experience, but as a single player or as a manager FIFA fails miserably. It was actually better in 2013.... :(

EA Sports have great animations and all, and quite frankly they pump a lot of money into that game for very little return (game wise for the real football fan) but they make a lot of cash and please all the kids who just want Nike boots and beat their friends on unrealistic ultimate team mode. I do wish that one day, a game would have good graphics and a good match engine, and I mean good. Right now we have either a good match engine and bad sound/graphics or decent graphics and a laughable match engine.

The end of the story is this... this genre as a whole has not come far enough in the last decade or two which is a disappointment to me, and a disjustice to football in general.

FM is the best manager game out there, but in my humble opinion it barely suffices my hunger for a top notch football simulation game. It needs to have a more fun element (more control elements like "classic" manager games such as be a chairman option, personal life, ticket price changes, stadium expansions and just more variety/novelty as optional modes) and better sound + graphics (sound hasn't improved in FM for over a decade and the match engine graphics are laughable. It literally still looks like a mid 90's game visually.), while keeping on track with its best features of today (good database, lots of leagues, indepth statistics, etc etc.

Considering the most scathing criticism get's deleted if it's deemed to not be constructive. I'd personally like to see the the people who simply post. Wooooooo SI, best FM ever posts, also get deleted, as they also, offer no constructive feedback.

Seems pretty reasonable. Not sure how many there have been though in fairness.

Seems pretty reasonable. Not sure how many there have been though in fairness.

It's not as though SI employees post under different names saying how great the game is. :eek:

However, I'm back playing FM13. Not perfect but I for various reasons I do not like FM14.

I find it very annoying that my tactics panel will not stay on the custom set up and just keeps reverting back to default. (Quite a few pages do this)! Some columns on screens that you cannot alter are also too narrow and you can't read the information. Also winning 7-0 away to the leaders followed by a 4-1 home defeat with the same players and tactic to the bottom side??? "It's your tactics" is an easy cop out that I'm fed up of hearing.

So for these reasons and others I will play FM13 or Hearts of Iron 3, or even sim city or the sims.

I just don't understand why some people a) can't be civil, whether it's to each other or SI b) need to every small point into needless pitched battle c) seem to think there needs to be "sides". It's terribly boring and incredibly counter productive . Most of the feedback has been excellent (a fair few of you have been quite brilliant) and no doubt SI are grateful for that, but there are some users who don't want to follow the rules and ethos set out on this forum, and frankly we won't be having any more of that. So please cut it out. I hope I don't have to mention it again.

It's not anywhere near as bad as people make out, that's for sure. The problem is that it's something that's never really been in the game before, somewhat unrealistically. So you now have a situation where poor touches happen now and again, and people are screaming blue murder.

And as far as I can remember, SI are only working on slightly improving the first touches of the better players as opposed to there being a widespread issue with them, so if you think you're not going to see any poor touches or mis-controlled balls after the next update, you're probably going to be disappointed.

I disagree with you Dave. While i can't speak for anyone else, i have found that the first touch in this game is completely bobbins with (off the top of my head) >5 instances of extrememly poor control in every match (mostly from my wingers and full backs).

So, i'm hoping this is fixed dramtically.

I am delighted with the rest of the game.

Also winning 7-0 away to the leaders followed by a 4-1 home defeat with the same players and tactic to the bottom side??? "It's your tactics" is an easy cop out that I'm fed up of hearing.

Genuine question then - What caused both of those results? Are you saying your tactics had no effect on either?

For those adverse to Social Media, Miles Jacobson has tweeted this:

#FM14 transfer update & game update going live in the next half an hour for PC, Mac & Linux. Reboot Steam then to grab it.

I'll miss this thread :D

For those adverse to Social Media, Miles Jacobsen has tweeted this:

#FM14 transfer update & game update going live in the next half an hour for PC, Mac & Linux. Reboot Steam then to grab it.

I'll miss this thread :D

yea but you'll have a whole new one with hundreds of moaners finding new things to complain about, thankfully now I can start my long save with all new data and final update :)