Sports Interactive Community
Stuart Warren

Football Manager 2014 - Update 14.2.2 - Feedback Thread

leading by 3 or 4 goals, and then the opposite team equalises, scoring all goals in the last 10 minutes of the game. And it happens way too often.

Once in 1200+ hours of gaming have I lost a 4 goal lead, and that was wayyyy back in the early days when I was still learning the game.

When I play at home, I usually have a control mentality. As soon as I go two goals up in a game, I immediately revert to counter as I know the AI will be pushing further forward to get back into the game. This way I reduce the risk of being clawed back whilst giving me a great opportunity to pick the opposition off on the break.

Therefore I respectfully suggest if you're losing 3-4 goal leads often, you need to start doing something about it. There is no 'bug' in the game regarding this IMO.

Also, try and get out the mindset that having 20+ shots in a game (but hardly scoring) is you being tactically better than the opposition. In most occasions in that scenario, you aren't. Far better having half the amounts on goal, but double the amount on target.

Just noticed on my game that East stirlingshire lost to a team in SL2 that are not really there IRL.

checked through the tables and Clyde got Relegated after consecutive seasons at the bottom, now in 4th season there has been no other relegations from this league, is this correct?

Just noticed on my game that East stirlingshire lost to a team in SL2 that are not really there IRL.

checked through the tables and Clyde got Relegated after consecutive seasons at the bottom, now in 4th season there has been no other relegations from this league, is this correct?

Yes. From next season IRL, the bottom team in League 2 will go into a playoff with the winner of the playoff between the Highland and Lowland leagues. Therefore it's quite possible that the league side won't go down in any given season.

Once in 1200+ hours of gaming have I lost a 4 goal lead, and that was wayyyy back in the early days when I was still learning the game.

I am half way through my 12th season in my current save, (and I played half a season with the demo.

In all of that time I never once relinquished a 4 goal lead. Never.

I am tempted to say something along the lines of..... "but then again I use such tools as substitutes, retain possession instruction, counter-attack instruction etc etc", but that would be churlish, no matter how true. Don't get me wrong, I have conceded LOADS of goals at times, (I conceded 11 in one game when I was relegated from Serie B), but I learned from that. I don't like losing so I got better.

This is just plain rubbish.

You have a graphical representation of the GK jumping up and down and waving his arms about in order to put the penalty taker off, but when it comes to actually saving the penalty, does he dive to his right and palm the ball around the post?

No. What he does is crab sideways fast enough to be actually standing in the corner of the goal when the ball arrives so that he actually catches it. It's just pants.

[video=youtube;Ggm9JvHo3kU]

And that's even without penalties never missing the target!

[Edit]

ps. Any chance of some crowd reaction behind the goal?

Everything about pens is just pants at the moment.

Has no one honestly seen the keeper dive to his right/or left to save a shot and land on the ground facing the other way? It's like a fish jumping out of the water!

Has no one honestly seen the keeper dive to his right/or left to save a shot and land on the ground facing the other way? It's like a fish jumping out of the water!

Yes, I see it all the time.

Despite there being no ME changes in 14.2.2 its after that patch that I noticed it happening.

Looks rubbish, Hopefully its an easy fix and left & right animation just got mixed up.

Issues I see:

1. Commentary cut out: Many of the events show a lack of commentary which was more prevalent in previous versions. If a goal was scored or so it was "[sdfs] scores! The fans rush to the stands to congratulate! Stewards struggle to hold them!"

But this version seems to cut most lines just like....if a goal is scored either that flashing text appears and nothing is said or a line is said "[sdfsdf] scores!". Adds to the immersion and I think it should be fixed.

2. Tackles are too successful: Happens to me and the AI. I feel the way tackles are successful is too high and EVERY time if a tackle is made near the penalty box it's always a sliding tackle and regardless of the attacker's strength he falls down.

3. Substitutions vanish on commentary in Full Match. I wonder why since in Key highlights I get it all the time but in Full match I can see a lot of substitutions either are shown on through commentary or just happen (mine and AI).

4. Previous versions either gave a positive increase in Morale or a drop if you praised or criticized a player. It depended on the way the chat went. This version, if it does not go well, the drop in morale happens. But hey where is the increase in Morale for something like:

"You were useless in the last match. Pick yourself up"

"I agree boss I'm disappointed myself" or "It was unacceptable"

Most of the times, the private chat in order to praise a performance or criticize actually feels very useless.

4. Previous versions either gave a positive increase in Morale or a drop if you praised or criticized a player. It depended on the way the chat went. This version, if it does not go well, the drop in morale happens. But hey where is the increase in Morale for something like:

"You were useless in the last match. Pick yourself up"

"I agree boss I'm disappointed myself" or "It was unacceptable"

Most of the times, the private chat in order to praise a performance or criticize actually feels very useless.

I think a lot of people "gamed" this area on FM13 just to get a boost in morale. I think of it this way: Would you be happier if I told you that you were useless in the last match? No, BUT you'd most likely be more motivated to put out a good performance. So even though you don't get that visible rise in morale, the player will be more motivated in the next match, depending on his personality, obviously.

I think a lot of people "gamed" this area on FM13 just to get a boost in morale. I think of it this way: Would you be happier if I told you that you were useless in the last match? No, BUT you'd most likely be more motivated to put out a good performance. So even though you don't get that visible rise in morale, the player will be more motivated in the next match, depending on his personality, obviously.

Yes, it is ok that they got rid of that exploit, but now criticizing poor performances in matches or training is so risky that, like with press conferences on new signings, I just don't bother.

Yes, it is ok that they got rid of that exploit, but now criticizing poor performances in matches or training is so risky that, like with press conferences on new signings, I just don't bother.

Every teamtalk should carry an element of risk whether its positive or negative. As a manager your job is to get to know your squad and their individual personalities so you have a good understanding how they will react.

I can agree. Thought it was a bug.

I would be interested in the other points as well.

Do you think point 1 which I raised is valid? I feel immersion due to commentary looks a bit odd.

I can agree. Thought it was a bug.

I would be interested in the other points as well.

Do you think point 1 which I raised is valid? I feel immersion due to commentary looks a bit odd.

I'm not sure, tbh. That's why I didn't respond to that :D

I don't pay a lot of attention to the commentary. I'm sure others with more knowledge in those areas will respond to it soon enough :thup:

Guys, if you are talking about motivating players than I think it should be an excellent option to be able to motivate / criticize players during matches.

I don't pay a lot of attention to the commentary. I'm sure others with more knowledge in those areas will respond to it soon enough :thup:

I believe that commentary is due an overhaul, but it's actually an enormously complex area.

There are thousands of strings of text which need to be sensibly knitted together, and they all have to be translated into multiple languages.

Will is now February 28 or March 1 coming out this patch??

We are passionate about the game, former players ... we buy the game on pre-order and are suffering a slow work, which does not seem to connect or simply make light with its users ...

I (like many) I did my part, I reported several bugs, lags, bugs in general, I'm awaiting this patch we have a match worthy of FM engine 14, which may still be a perfect match!

Patch coming soon!

We want to play the game without problems! : D

I played PSG in French Champions trophy and lost 5-3 (7 set piece goals btw) but something very odd happened. Before the match, my team had fairly good morale, but after it dropped to very poor. This happened to the entire team. FYI my next 3 results looked like this.

L 2-0 to Lyon

L 4-0 to Lorient

W 6-0 to Dijon

Has anyone ever seen massive drops in morale like this?

erm this is a joke right?

7ED5452B12168D9A504A1A940C78F20E1435F795

moaning about first team football... before the first game in the league has kicked off?

Have you just signed him or has he been with the club over a year?

erm this is a joke right?

Moaning about first team football... before the first game in the league has kicked off?

Why is the U21s manager concerned about this? Do you have Valdes in the U-21 team? If so, I'm not surprised he's not happy.

As always, Leon, the answer is the same. The patch is coming, but there has been no release date set.
What date was the last patch for 2013 released ?

The commentaries and the animations are often completely at odds. It is quite often funny.

"He will kick himself for missing that!" - no, it was a very tight angle under pressure.

"That was a whisker away from a goal" (or something) - no it was several meters to the side and the keeper would have had no problems saving it if it wasn't.

"He clears the ball into row z!" - what he actually did was miskick it badly so that the opponent could pick it up and score.

"He saves and holds the ball!" - no he didn't.

"He crosses to the far post" - not even close, buddy. That was more like a 45 degree backpass.

"He heads the ball behind!" - no it went out for a throw-in.

"He unleashes a thunderous drive!" - it rolled silently in to the keeper.

etc etc etc...

The commentaries and the animations are often completely at odds. It is quite often funny.

"He will kick himself for missing that!" - no, it was a very tight angle under pressure.

"That was a whisker away from a goal" (or something) - no it was several meters to the side and the keeper would have had no problems saving it if it wasn't.

"He clears the ball into row z!" - what he actually did was miskick it badly so that the opponent could pick it up and score.

"He saves and holds the ball!" - no he didn't.

"He crosses to the far post" - not even close, buddy. That was more like a 45 degree backpass.

"He heads the ball behind!" - no it went out for a throw-in.

"He unleashes a thunderous drive!" - it rolled silently in to the keeper.

etc etc etc...

So they're basically like real life commentators - clueless muppets?

My players are so bad, I have to rely on the commentary to find out if it's a cross or a shot. That's all I really use it for :D

So they're basically like real life commentators - clueless muppets?

Pretty much. Real life commentators say so much that by order of probability they sometimes get things right, though. The commentaries in FM are 100% wrong, so I don't understand how people can rely on commentaries to make tactical decisions.

When does the new patch come out? Any ideas?

the Russian transfer window shuts in a few days, they may be waiting for this. that is my only idea

I have quit until patch...

Playing as Porto...needing to beat Benfica in 2nd last game of season..lost 1-0 because my keeper kicked it straight to their striker who knocked it into an empty net....couple of weeks later Cup Final against Benifca again...lost 1-0 as my keeper decided to kick it

straight to the same striker AGAIN who knocked it into an empty net...I don't know what else to say to that...

I have quit until patch...

Playing as Porto...needing to beat Benfica in 2nd last game of season..lost 1-0 because my keeper kicked it straight to their striker who knocked it into an empty net....couple of weeks later Cup Final against Benifca again...lost 1-0 as my keeper decided to kick it

straight to the same striker AGAIN who knocked it into an empty net...I don't know what else to say to that...

That you should get a better goalkeeper who won't make such basic errors?

Twice! The same error! He has hardly put a foot wrong all season. Under no pressure and I don't have play out of defence shout on..

It's two massive games in your pursuit of trophies, maybe he doesn't perform well when under pressure?

Goalkeeper distribution is an aberration in FM14 as has been well documented. Rarely see a 'keeper who can kick the ball as far as halfway yet both the defence and opposition are lined up as if it will go a reasonable distance. Then there are scenarios such as described above. where your 'keeper gives it straight to the opposition when under no pressure and with various other options available.

At the moment, it's a case of trying to pick the lesser of two evils because both punting it 'long' and playing it short and un-necessarily risky due to the poor match engine.

What date was the last patch for 2013 released ?

Last year, FM 2013 13.3.0 patch was released in 28th February. :) I don't know where people are getting the early march, but if you check in Sigames site, or google it, you'll see it was in 28th February. I remember last year being crazy when it was released.

Last year, FM 2013 13.3.0 patch was released in 28th February. :) I don't know where people are getting the early march, but if you check in Sigames site, or google it, you'll see it was in 28th February. I remember last year being crazy when it was released.

28th February/Early March. I think you're splitting hairs a bit.

Just had Liverpool's keeper handle outside the area and get a yellow card.. Thought that was a sending off?

Nope, not neccessarily.

Nope, not neccessarily.

Agreed - it is contextual.

A flat red card for accidentally overshooting your area in slippery conditions would be harsh.

Pretty sure the old "denying a clear goal scoring opportunity" line comes into it somewhere.

I started looked though the FIFA official rules and regulations to get the exact answer, but it bored me.

Page 39 of the Laws of the Game. There are no special rules for goalkeepers handling outside the box so the RTH is right, the usual rules of 'denying clear goal scoring opportunity' come into play.

If this first touch problem isn't resolved in the latest patch, I think my head might explode. What's the point of buying technically amazing players if they can't control a football. Gah.

Hi I read lots of negativity on these forums mostly about how game is broken and ME is bad wheres the new patch etc...So just wanted to share that over all the years ive played FM I just had my most felt sense of achievement winning LC with Hull and finishing 10th first season might not be that great for some but over years Ive always played as big teams winning leagues and champions leagues etc but this save I have actually felt I have accomplished something and SI can take some time before last patch as I dont want to stop this current save.

Because you are so much more important than the other people checking back everyday for the patch so they can actually play again.

Oddly enough at no point did he even make out he was more important. So there is absolutely no need for you jump down his throat.

Does anyone know if there will be a new patch coming out any time soon?

yes there will be a patch, no we don't know when