Football Manager 2014 - Update 14.2.2 - Feedback Thread

Is everyone basically complaining about their 1 tactic they use the entire match and how the AI just starts dominating ?

As others have said, the AI eventually learns your tactic a bit too and begins to adjust.

All things being equal the ME treats both sides equally (Human and AI) and it comes down to tactics, to a degree. But you know what the AI does during matches that I bet at least 80% of the people complaining don't, and which has an effect on the outcome of a match? It adjusts it's tactics throughout the entire match. It adjusts it's opposition instructions throughout the match. Is everyone paying attention when they go up 1 - 0 and then the AI switches from a 4-2-3--1 Counter to an Attacking (philosophy) 4-4-2 formation? Are people aware that when the AI switches their formation up their Opposition Instructions that they set before the match basically gets reset to no instructions? You have to redo your instructions.

If people stop being an Extended / Key highlights playback armchair manager and start noticing these subtle changes by the AI, then you'll be able to counter iright back at the AI and improve. Remember the AI has opp. instructions set against you as well. Change your formation up a bit and the AI is going to have to reconsider it's opp. instructions as well. I know my game has definitely improved as a result :)

That could be a bit disrespectful with people that watch full matches and has been posting at the bugs section several issues that SI recognizes as issues to be fixed. But ok, let's leave out of the picture the part of disrespect and just considerer how your argument or how an eventual lack of attention to tactics relates with:

a) poor first touch from top players

b) poor decision from players near goal

c) poor behaviour from IFs

d) lack of reaction from defenders to long balls

e) very poor decision / passing from GKs

f) poor closing down from players just running alongside the opponent and not intercepting

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Peter, not that I don't believe you, (I actually just don't want to know), but thanks for not mentioning what the actual issues are in here. :applause:

[Edit]

Isn't it weird. I would have said that IF is a role that is working quite well. Shows what little I know. :lol:

well, it's not a matter of believing, it's a matter of being a fact recognized from SI... or at least from Adam Mingway .

well, it's not a matter of believing, it's a matter of being a fact recognized from SI... or at least from Adam Mingway .

No, I really meant that it had nothing to do with not believing you. (I completely believe you). I just haven't noticed so don't want it spelled out to me so I do notice. :lol:

No, I really meant that it had nothing to do with not believing you. (I completely believe you). I just haven't noticed so don't want it spelled out to me so I do notice. :lol:

You haven't noticed so you don't want it explained so that you do notice?

Is this like an "ignorance is bliss" thing?

If you played the game, you'd know this isn't in any kind of way FM needs to be played in, though. It absolutely can be played as such, yeah. But it's not the only way. Even the typical wheeling and dealing types of managers with simple plans a la Redknapp are imo very well served, as Linkoping in general makes this sound far more Rock, Paper, Scissors like than the game truly is (and if it were, it would be a failure, as that is not what management is about). The AI may adjust and be a bit more robust (still nowhere near as creative as a human player in an online save could), but that doesn't necessarily mean you always have to do likewise and tweak a ton of things provided your base tactics is sound. Has always been the case , and realistically it should all be doable, and thus FM 2014 naturally is no different.

Found this via googling on The Dugout, whilst it's a year old (FM 2013 era), this no doubt still applies, and this is one of the "gurus" people would micro tweak ten times a match each:

Also, I could compete for silverware with Chelsea and do well with Aston Villa by just setting up a (I think) halfway coherent "base tactics" suited to each team's quality/relative quality accordingly to the league (playing on the counter with Villa, playing direct attack with Chelski), holiday in between match days, let the assistants do all the talking, and often not even do player subs (nor push a single button but "start 2nd half" during mid-match. That's my personal experience, of course, and they're not the only ones. But I'm more inclined to wonder how anyone could advocate for LESS levels of effort required to play this thing. But then I'm also not one who overly obsesses about individual losses, matches being dominated (and still lost), etc. etc. :)

I do not obsess about losses either, given that my Oviedo team is not anywhere strong enough to win more than half (or even a third) of the games I play - and that's fine. What is not fine is how one game I'm all smiles and everything is excellent, the next I'm being barbecued in hell, then it's an even match that ends evenly, and then another shocker. In one game, my players look composed and manage to pass to each other, the next they clear the ball whenever and wherever they are near it. If one or two players had an off day, I would take note of that and adjust. But that's not what I see - I see the whole team play either exactly as well or exactly as awful... and what factors influence this is completely beyond my scope of "ME reading" and make no sense according to any type of morale or man management logic I know of. How often do you see a whole -team- have an off day in real life? Surely at least one player was "on" even if the match ended badly?

The season before it was also like this and I ended 8th, showing me that mostly whatever approach I chose worked out well. It was still a chore and a frustrating experience because of the random fluctuations in -effort- that I saw. Not the least the enormous focus in the highlights on set pieces and repeated corners etc, which was tiresome but I guess having 3-4 players over 190cm and custom set pieces helped a bit with the results. The fact that I barely conceded from those abundant corners just made the whole experience more boring.

I do not obsess about losses either, given that my Oviedo team is not anywhere strong enough to win more than half (or even a third) of the games I play - and that's fine. What is not fine is how one game I'm all smiles and everything is excellent, the next I'm being barbecued in hell, then it's an even match that ends evenly, and then another shocker. In one game, my players look composed and manage to pass to each other, the next they clear the ball whenever and wherever they are near it. If one or two players had an off day, I would take note of that and adjust. But that's not what I see - I see the whole team play either exactly as well or exactly as awful... and what factors influence this is completely beyond my scope of "ME reading" and make no sense according to any type of morale or man management logic I know of. How often do you see a whole -team- have an off day in real life? Surely at least one player was "on" even if the match ended badly?

The season before it was also like this and I ended 8th, showing me that mostly whatever approach I chose worked out well. It was still a chore and a frustrating experience because of the random fluctuations in -effort- that I saw. Not the least the enormous focus in the highlights on set pieces and repeated corners etc, which was tiresome but I guess having 3-4 players over 190cm and custom set pieces helped a bit with the results. The fact that I barely conceded from those abundant corners just made the whole experience more boring.

I feel the exact same way about morale/motivation effects. The whole thing is so opaque and difficult to detect/combat in any reliable way. Does FMC still apply morale/motivation/consistency effects? I know it does away with tactical familiarity.

Without these effects it would just be so much easier to analyze player performances without wondering what 100 hidden modifiers are making a player perform in a particular way in a particular game. Ideally I would like behavior to be decided by instructions, attributes, and PPMs, and that's it.

Well I think I have finally admitted defeat with the game. Tried a quick experiment (another one) home against Spurs and was 2-0 up at half time and ran out 3-1 winners and played some great stuff. Reloaded - same tactic - and was 3-0 down after 30 minutes eventually losing 4-0 with players not able to pass 5 yards, it was like watching a different team yet same match, same tactics, same team talk. Sadly I seem to spend most of my time time reading things on here rather than playing the game - and most of them seem to be the same - attack duty here, defence duty there it's almost like that there is a special formula one must adhere to be successful. Obviously there isn't but it seems like it. I spend all my other time tinkering with tactics and spend very little time actually relaxing and playing the game. Probably just moved in a different direction from what is comfortable with me. And before anyone thinks this is a "I'm not winning whinge" I'm 5th in the Prem by purely playing a different tactic each game. But the football is awful, all 1-0's and 2-1's and it's like watching a basketball game, attack, shot, the other team attacks - shot..... repeat.... Great shame but it all seems too random for me TBH.....

Well I think I have finally admitted defeat with the game. Tried a quick experiment (another one) home against Spurs and was 2-0 up at half time and ran out 3-1 winners and played some great stuff. Reloaded - same tactic - and was 3-0 down after 30 minutes eventually losing 4-0 with players not able to pass 5 yards, it was like watching a different team yet same match, same tactics, same team talk. Sadly I seem to spend most of my time time reading things on here rather than playing the game - and most of them seem to be the same - attack duty here, defence duty there it's almost like that there is a special formula one must adhere to be successful. Obviously there isn't but it seems like it. I spend all my other time tinkering with tactics and spend very little time actually relaxing and playing the game. Probably just moved in a different direction from what is comfortable with me. And before anyone thinks this is a "I'm not winning whinge" I'm 5th in the Prem by purely playing a different tactic each game. But the football is awful, all 1-0's and 2-1's and it's like watching a basketball game, attack, shot, the other team attacks - shot..... repeat.... Great shame but it all seems too random for me TBH.....

It is a massive shame, I agree. Especially because this years game was a major step forward in every area, except for the ME, the problems with it really make the game look bad. For example, I really love the new players evaluation (there are still some issues with the transfer offers you recieve in regard of money and such, but other than that is really awesome to finally have a top team, whose highest value player is actually worth more than 25-30 milions. And I love how they incorporated the clubs reputations, the leagues reputation, the current contract value of the player, etc...), and there is some other bunch of features that were a really nice addition. I just can't figure out how they got the ME so wrong. My best guess is they wanted to include more realism, take a step forward in that direction (tried to put more emphasis on players morale, team talks, tactics and thing of that nature), but they simply went way too extreme with those things.

Sussex. Just a little thing, but you say...

But the football is awful, all 1-0's and 2-1's

The only thing is, the games you actually tell us about are actually, a 3-1 win and then a 4-0 loss. (Not a 1-0 or a 2-1 in sight).

Anyway, I'm sure many others are 1-0 or 2-1.

I just don't seem to be playing the same game as some of you. I've had just one single 1-0 this season, (1-0 loss or win), and only two 2-1's, (again 2-1's win or lose).

Last season I had more 1-0's, (9 in fact out of 43 games), but only two 2-1's, (both losses actually). I did however score 5 twice, and on a further seven occasions scored 4 goals. (So that means I scored 4 or more goals in as many matches as finished 1-0 to either team). Add in that I also conceded 4 on the last day of the season when I fielded a team of kids and it's almost even between boring 1-0's or 2-1's and high scoring thrillers.

I don't concede loads of goals from corners.

I don't score loads of goals from corners.

My wingers don't get all their crosses blocked.

Whatever the IF "bug" is, I play with an IF on the right and I have no plans to change it. I haven't even noticed what the issue is despite knowing that there is an issue.

I have managed to sell players, (although it's certainly not like it was in previous issues), but I think that might have been done on purpose. I just saw a player be transfer listed by the AI, (valued at £1.2M), and immediately be offered out for £475,000. It's like that is how it is meant to work I think.

What else do people complain about...... [goes to look]

The game is too hard! Well my San Marino club side has reached 3 Italian Cup Finals, (winning 1), and has got to the final of the EURO Cup, (losing), and this year we should qualify for Europe for the 1st time by virtue of our league position, (and may even sneak a Champs League spot). Too hard? Really?

My San Marino NT is a REAL challenge, but i have just won 2 consecutive games for the 1st time, (someone really crap and New Zealand).

Can't get offered jobs? Sampdoria and Udinese have both offered me jobs in the past month, (although unsurprisingly I have not been offered a different INT job).

Impossible to buy German players? No. I've done that.

Keeping 3 GK's happy at the same club. Not a problem.

I AM having the problem where the facilities get stuck in planning red tape for years. :(

Who knows. Maybe it's league related. Come and play in Italy with me. :lol:

[Edit]

Anyway. hopefully only a week or 10 days or so to wait for the patch if we assume it's gonna be end Feb beginning of March.

Sussex. Just a little thing, but you say...

The only thing is, the games you actually tell us about are actually, a 3-1 win and then a 4-0 loss. (Not a 1-0 or a 2-1 in sight).

Anyway, I'm sure many others are 1-0 or 2-1.

I just don't seem to be playing the same game as some of you. I've had just one single 1-0 this season, (1-0 loss or win), and only two 2-1's, (again 2-1's win or lose).

Last season I had more 1-0's, (9 in fact out of 43 games), but only two 2-1's, (both losses actually). I did however score 5 twice, and on a further seven occasions scored 4 goals. (So that means I scored 4 or more goals in as many matches as finished 1-0 to either team). Add in that I also conceded 4 on the last day of the season when I fielded a team of kids and it's almost even between boring 1-0's or 2-1's and high scoring thrillers.

I don't concede loads of goals from corners.

I don't score loads of goals from corners.

My wingers don't get all their crosses blocked.

Whatever the IF "bug" is, I play with an IF on the right and I have no plans to change it. I haven't even noticed what the issue is despite knowing that there is an issue.

I have managed to sell players, (although it's certainly not like it was in previous issues), but I think that might have been done on purpose. I just saw a player be transfer listed by the AI, (valued at £1.2M), and immediately be offered out for £475,000. It's like that is how it is meant to work I think.

What else do people complain about...... [goes to look]

The game is too hard! Well my San Marino club side has reached 3 Italian Cup Finals, (winning 1), and has got to the final of the EURO Cup, (losing), and this year we should qualify for Europe for the 1st time by virtue of our league position, (and may even sneak a Champs League spot). Too hard? Really?

My San Marino NT is a REAL challenge, but i have just won 2 consecutive games for the 1st time, (someone really crap and New Zealand).

Can't get offered jobs? Sampdoria and Udinese have both offered me jobs in the past month, (although unsurprisingly I have not been offered a different INT job).

Impossible to buy German players? No. I've done that.

Keeping 3 GK's happy at the same club. Not a problem.

I AM having the problem where the facilities get stuck in planning red tape for years. :(

Who knows. Maybe it's league related. Come and play in Italy with me. :lol:

[Edit]

Anyway. hopefully only a week or 10 days or so to wait for the patch if we assume it's gonna be end Feb beginning of March.

I just started to play a new game after rage quiting couple of days ago, and took Barcelona (usually I take "fake players" and a small club when I start a career) just to kill some time waiting for the patch that will hopefully make this game playable again, played the first league game of the season, saw osasuna and some other team playing 6-6, turned the game off and decided to wait for the 14.3 patch.

I just started to play a new game after rage quiting couple of days ago, and took Barcelona (usually I take "fake players" and a small club when I start a career) just to kill some time waiting for the patch that will hopefully make this game playable again, played the first league game of the season, saw osasuna and some other team playing 6-6, turned the game off and decided to wait for the 14.3 patch.

You do realise that 'fake players' are actually the real players - just with different names (but same attributes etc)? Because that's (I believe) the 2nd or 3rd time in the last day or so that you've mentioned this as though having 'fake' players is going to change something drastically in the game relative to those of us who play with real players

So i have turned the game on, got the update and oh whats that? half my team is no longer registered in the premiership?? thanks si, game ruined. Someone wake me up next year :(

You do realise that the last update was well over a month ago? So you're that obsessed with this save that you haven't played for over a month - but apparently your game is 'ruined'. WTF!

You do realise that 'fake players' are actually the real players - just with different names (but same attributes etc)? Because that's (I believe) the 2nd or 3rd time in the last day or so that you've mentioned this as though having 'fake' players is going to change something drastically in the game relative to those of us who play with real players

I believe this got changed years ago.

The way I understand it works is that at setup FM creates players based on your club rep. So for Man Utd you will always get at least one ST who you can draw similarities with say Rooney and a DC who would be similar to Vidic because the key attributes are the same.

I believe this got changed years ago.

The way I understand it works is that at setup FM creates players based on your club rep. So for Man Utd you will always get at least one ST who you can draw similarities with say Rooney and a DC who would be similar to Vidic because the key attributes are the same.

are you sure? I thought it was as Rob said, just the real players with random names. Could be wrong of course, it may have changed in 13/14. But I'm sure I was told this last year.

are you sure? I thought it was as Rob said, just the real players with random names. Could be wrong of course, it may have changed in 13/14. But I'm sure I was told this last year.

Nah, it changed much earlier than that somewhere around FM08/09 if I remember right.

Well I think I have finally admitted defeat with the game. Tried a quick experiment (another one) home against Spurs and was 2-0 up at half time and ran out 3-1 winners and played some great stuff. Reloaded - same tactic - and was 3-0 down after 30 minutes eventually losing 4-0 with players not able to pass 5 yards, it was like watching a different team yet same match, same tactics, same team talk.

Those are results from the extreme ends of the scale. But seeing that motivational changes happen accordingly to in-match events (harsh calls, fouls, goals, etc.), and they do such now straight in your face all the time, given the many sequences that fit what is essentially a 90 minutes match won't ever look the same, and given the AI may adjust by playing safer/opening more up: How is that surprising? No match will be the exact same, in one you will go up 1-0 which immediately has an effect on your own as the opponent's players (some might get complacent in certain matches/some very determined actually get fired up when going down), and if it's 3-0 after 30 minutes the game's mostly essentially over with most teams, unless maybe if you field De Jong (who got more fired up with each goal actually when in one of my saves his side got thumped 4-1, depends on if the impact of those boosts is really that big).

Between sides that are evenly matched, the one that goes up immediately sees favors shifting hugely its way. Reloading won't tell you much at all, though you should notice certain trends over a longer sequence, such as the stronger team getting more wins. The only thing you've just found is that in a low scoring goal game, such as football, in individual matches every goal has massive weight and every incident can steer matches in many different ways. That's why people even bother to watch Cup ties between teams tiers apart. Over the course of a sequence, the lower side doesn't stand a fighting chance. On their day, anything can happen though. Still remember a tie in the German Cup in the Summer of 2012, where Hoffenheim faced a fourth division side, and German international keepers and their colleagues eventually got this psyched out they made completely school boy errors and lost 0-4:

"What if Özil had converted that penalty on Wednesday night", they ask themselves at Arsenal. And they don't do such just to kid themselves.

That's partly why I think obsessing over individual matches is a huge waste of time. I also don't think anything you do makes the difference between a side playing all fantastic and a side totally collapsing (unless your tactics severely limit options or your man management all bottled it), that's just some kind of perception bias of kinds: we're losing, we're all playing awful, we're winning, it's all fantastic (and everything I'm doing therefore must be awesome). Whilst Football Manager, as the name tag suggests, certainly plays its part in cultivating the iconic image and impact of the football manager, when it comes down to it, it simulates his impact pretty well, imo. And that doesn't merely go for the AI and its "vanilla decision making" which makes the difference in match performance between Wenger and Completely Unproven Assistant Manager pretty marginal at best, which likely is taking things a tad far (and more of an unintentional result of still limited AI, rather than anything). Still, some, no, make that a lot of the game is just beyond your control, that's the ambiguity of management. Whether FM steers too far into that direction would be an interesting debate though. From a "gaming" point of view, a very hands-on control can be very satisfying (as an extremely odd example: in FIFA Manager's text sim you could take penalties yourself, I think, and in the 3d match you could press keys that made players either pass or shot or whatever). But a game like FM will never be anything like that.

This is little different from any FM before, except that individual error is more common and can cost you (and the AI). Thankfully it is being looked at, though I'd like to have it in the game at top level too, in particular if a player/squad has issues, in particular one with the personality that along to that. And on very low levels of the game, well...

I have to admit, I'm wondering if FM has fallen into the uncanny valley. In the past, while it was reasonable close to real football, there were still some pretty clear differences and so people could just subconciously accept it as different. With FM14, it's gotten close enough to real football that the few remaining differences seem to stand out more and as such really freak people out...

I'll ask this again: shouldn't the crossing PIs be active by default ???

Do you mean for wingers? (I think that's what you said yesterday). I'm guessing that it's incorrect labelling again.

Cross more often should be labelled already active but currently says unavailable.

Would be good to get a response though.

Do you mean for wingers? (I think that's what you said yesterday). I'm guessing that it's incorrect labelling again.

Cross more often should be labelled already active but currently says unavailable.

Yep, it's another UI bug. To be clear - wingers are set to Cross Often.

I'll raise the bug.

yes, for wingers... missed that (important) detail.

Ok, more bad labelling. Got to wonder what can be trusted about this game

Those are results from the extreme ends of the scale. But seeing that motivational changes happen accordingly to in-match events (harsh calls, fouls, goals, etc.), and they do such now straight in your face all the time, given the many sequences that fit what is essentially a 90 minutes match won't ever look the same, and given the AI may adjust by playing safer/opening more up: How is that surprising? No match will be the exact same, in one you will go up 1-0 which immediately has an effect on your own as the opponent's players (some might get complacent in certain matches/some very determined actually get fired up when going down), and if it's 3-0 after 30 minutes the game's mostly essentially over with most teams, unless maybe if you field De Jong (who got more fired up with each goal actually when in one of my saves his side got thumped 4-1, depends on if the impact of those boosts is really that big).

Between sides that are evenly matched, the one that goes up immediately sees favors shifting hugely its way. Reloading won't tell you much at all, though you should notice certain trends over a longer sequence, such as the stronger team getting more wins. The only thing you've just found is that in a low scoring goal game, such as football, in individual matches every goal has massive weight and every incident can steer matches in many different ways. That's why people even bother to watch Cup ties between teams tiers apart. Over the course of a sequence, the lower side doesn't stand a fighting chance. On their day, anything can happen though. Still remember a tie in the German Cup in the Summer of 2012, where Hoffenheim faced a fourth division side, and German international keepers and their colleagues eventually got this psyched out they made completely school boy errors and lost 0-4:

"What if Özil had converted that penalty on Wednesday night", they ask themselves at Arsenal. And they don't do such just to kid themselves.

That's partly why I think obsessing over individual matches is a huge waste of time. I also don't think anything you do makes the difference between a side playing all fantastic and a side totally collapsing (unless your tactics severely limit options or your man management all bottled it), that's just some kind of perception bias of kinds: we're losing, we're all playing awful, we're winning, it's all fantastic (and everything I'm doing therefore must be awesome). Whilst Football Manager, as the name tag suggests, certainly plays its part in cultivating the iconic image and impact of the football manager, when it comes down to it, it simulates his impact pretty well, imo. And that doesn't merely go for the AI and its "vanilla decision making" which makes the difference in match performance between Wenger and Completely Unproven Assistant Manager pretty marginal at best, which likely is taking things a tad far (and more of an unintentional result of still limited AI, rather than anything). Still, some, no, make that a lot of the game is just beyond your control, that's the ambiguity of management. Whether FM steers too far into that direction would be an interesting debate though. From a "gaming" point of view, a very hands-on control can be very satisfying (as an extremely odd example: in FIFA Manager's text sim you could take penalties yourself, I think, and in the 3d match you could press keys that made players either pass or shot or whatever). But a game like FM will never be anything like that.

This is little different from any FM before, except that individual error is more common and can cost you (and the AI). Thankfully it is being looked at, though I'd like to have it in the game at top level too, in particular if a player/squad has issues, in particular one with the personality that along to that. And on very low levels of the game, well...

Great post.

Has anyone noticed that when you click on play to begin the second half, the first highlight you see is AFTER a goal has been scored. Just playing a game there, 0-0 at half time, clicked to begin the second half, and the first bit of action came on at 49mins, with me 1-0 up. I guess a goal doesn't count as a key highlight now :lol:

Not a biggie, as it's only the 2nd time I've seen this, and you can easy pause it and see the goal again, but it's a bit weird.

From my extensive play of this year's FM version i still fail to see any positive effects from Attacking movement match preparation, which leads me to believe it is bugged.

I am currently sitting at 1st in Serie A with Parma, 10 points ahead of 2nd and i always play defensive positioning for match prep. Once in a while i give a go to attacking movement, for example this last match after so many good runs i set it against Livorno at home, the 15th of the league... I lose 0-2 and do like 1 or 2 shots on target playing exacly the same way as i achieved results such as 6-0 over Milan away or 5-0 vs Inter.

It's just plain frustrating that some games you are set to lose no matter what. I saw the ****** first half and tinkered with mentalities whilst they shoot twice and score.

From my extensive play of this year's FM version i still fail to see any positive effects from Attacking movement match preparation, which leads me to believe it is bugged.

I am currently sitting at 1st in Serie A with Parma, 10 points ahead of 2nd and i always play defensive positioning for match prep. Once in a while i give a go to attacking movement, for example this last match after so many good runs i set it against Livorno at home, the 15th of the league... I lose 0-2 and do like 1 or 2 shots on target playing exacly the same way as i achieved results such as 6-0 over Milan away or 5-0 vs Inter.

You can't just set your match prep to "attacking movement" and expect to win. The space available to you on the pitch will be very different when playing against Milan and Inter compared to Livorno.

It's just plain frustrating that some games you are set to lose no matter what. .

People really need to get this nonsense out of their heads. There are no games that you will lose 'no matter what'. Clearly sone games will be more difficult than others with many mitigating circumstances both pre-match and in-play, but anyone can theoretically win any match.

People really need to get this nonsense out of their heads. There are no games that you will lose 'no matter what'. Clearly sone games will be more difficult than others with many mitigating circumstances both pre-match and in-play, but anyone can theoretically win any match.

You're 100% right, but I can't get rid of the feeling that some people are trying to aviod the most obvious point no matter what, even if themselves know it and understand it.

I don't have any problems losing a game to the underdog. The problem is when my team has 20+ shots, the opposite team has 2 shots, and you lose 1:2. Or dominating the whole game, leading by 3 or 4 goals, and then the opposite team equalises, scoring all goals in the last 10 minutes of the game. And it happens way too often.

Has anyone noticed that when you click on play to begin the second half, the first highlight you see is AFTER a goal has been scored. Just playing a game there, 0-0 at half time, clicked to begin the second half, and the first bit of action came on at 49mins, with me 1-0 up. I guess a goal doesn't count as a key highlight now :lol:

Not a biggie, as it's only the 2nd time I've seen this, and you can easy pause it and see the goal again, but it's a bit weird.

it also have been noticed here :lol:

leading by 3 or 4 goals, and then the opposite team equalises, scoring all goals in the last 10 minutes of the game. And it happens way too often.

Once in 1200+ hours of gaming have I lost a 4 goal lead, and that was wayyyy back in the early days when I was still learning the game.

When I play at home, I usually have a control mentality. As soon as I go two goals up in a game, I immediately revert to counter as I know the AI will be pushing further forward to get back into the game. This way I reduce the risk of being clawed back whilst giving me a great opportunity to pick the opposition off on the break.

Therefore I respectfully suggest if you're losing 3-4 goal leads often, you need to start doing something about it. There is no 'bug' in the game regarding this IMO.

Also, try and get out the mindset that having 20+ shots in a game (but hardly scoring) is you being tactically better than the opposition. In most occasions in that scenario, you aren't. Far better having half the amounts on goal, but double the amount on target.

Just noticed on my game that East stirlingshire lost to a team in SL2 that are not really there IRL.

checked through the tables and Clyde got Relegated after consecutive seasons at the bottom, now in 4th season there has been no other relegations from this league, is this correct?

Just noticed on my game that East stirlingshire lost to a team in SL2 that are not really there IRL.

checked through the tables and Clyde got Relegated after consecutive seasons at the bottom, now in 4th season there has been no other relegations from this league, is this correct?

Yes. From next season IRL, the bottom team in League 2 will go into a playoff with the winner of the playoff between the Highland and Lowland leagues. Therefore it's quite possible that the league side won't go down in any given season.

Once in 1200+ hours of gaming have I lost a 4 goal lead, and that was wayyyy back in the early days when I was still learning the game.

I am half way through my 12th season in my current save, (and I played half a season with the demo.

In all of that time I never once relinquished a 4 goal lead. Never.

I am tempted to say something along the lines of..... "but then again I use such tools as substitutes, retain possession instruction, counter-attack instruction etc etc", but that would be churlish, no matter how true. Don't get me wrong, I have conceded LOADS of goals at times, (I conceded 11 in one game when I was relegated from Serie B), but I learned from that. I don't like losing so I got better.

This is just plain rubbish.

You have a graphical representation of the GK jumping up and down and waving his arms about in order to put the penalty taker off, but when it comes to actually saving the penalty, does he dive to his right and palm the ball around the post?

No. What he does is crab sideways fast enough to be actually standing in the corner of the goal when the ball arrives so that he actually catches it. It's just pants.

[video=youtube;Ggm9JvHo3kU]

And that's even without penalties never missing the target!

[Edit]

ps. Any chance of some crowd reaction behind the goal?

Everything about pens is just pants at the moment.

Has no one honestly seen the keeper dive to his right/or left to save a shot and land on the ground facing the other way? It's like a fish jumping out of the water!

Yes, I see it all the time.

Despite there being no ME changes in 14.2.2 its after that patch that I noticed it happening.

Looks rubbish, Hopefully its an easy fix and left & right animation just got mixed up.

Issues I see:

1. Commentary cut out: Many of the events show a lack of commentary which was more prevalent in previous versions. If a goal was scored or so it was "[sdfs] scores! The fans rush to the stands to congratulate! Stewards struggle to hold them!"

But this version seems to cut most lines just like....if a goal is scored either that flashing text appears and nothing is said or a line is said "[sdfsdf] scores!". Adds to the immersion and I think it should be fixed.

2. Tackles are too successful: Happens to me and the AI. I feel the way tackles are successful is too high and EVERY time if a tackle is made near the penalty box it's always a sliding tackle and regardless of the attacker's strength he falls down.

3. Substitutions vanish on commentary in Full Match. I wonder why since in Key highlights I get it all the time but in Full match I can see a lot of substitutions either are shown on through commentary or just happen (mine and AI).

4. Previous versions either gave a positive increase in Morale or a drop if you praised or criticized a player. It depended on the way the chat went. This version, if it does not go well, the drop in morale happens. But hey where is the increase in Morale for something like:

"You were useless in the last match. Pick yourself up"

"I agree boss I'm disappointed myself" or "It was unacceptable"

Most of the times, the private chat in order to praise a performance or criticize actually feels very useless.

4. Previous versions either gave a positive increase in Morale or a drop if you praised or criticized a player. It depended on the way the chat went. This version, if it does not go well, the drop in morale happens. But hey where is the increase in Morale for something like:

"You were useless in the last match. Pick yourself up"

"I agree boss I'm disappointed myself" or "It was unacceptable"

Most of the times, the private chat in order to praise a performance or criticize actually feels very useless.

I think a lot of people "gamed" this area on FM13 just to get a boost in morale. I think of it this way: Would you be happier if I told you that you were useless in the last match? No, BUT you'd most likely be more motivated to put out a good performance. So even though you don't get that visible rise in morale, the player will be more motivated in the next match, depending on his personality, obviously.

I think a lot of people "gamed" this area on FM13 just to get a boost in morale. I think of it this way: Would you be happier if I told you that you were useless in the last match? No, BUT you'd most likely be more motivated to put out a good performance. So even though you don't get that visible rise in morale, the player will be more motivated in the next match, depending on his personality, obviously.

Yes, it is ok that they got rid of that exploit, but now criticizing poor performances in matches or training is so risky that, like with press conferences on new signings, I just don't bother.

Yes, it is ok that they got rid of that exploit, but now criticizing poor performances in matches or training is so risky that, like with press conferences on new signings, I just don't bother.

Every teamtalk should carry an element of risk whether its positive or negative. As a manager your job is to get to know your squad and their individual personalities so you have a good understanding how they will react.

I can agree. Thought it was a bug.

I would be interested in the other points as well.

Do you think point 1 which I raised is valid? I feel immersion due to commentary looks a bit odd.

I can agree. Thought it was a bug.

I would be interested in the other points as well.

Do you think point 1 which I raised is valid? I feel immersion due to commentary looks a bit odd.

I'm not sure, tbh. That's why I didn't respond to that :D

I don't pay a lot of attention to the commentary. I'm sure others with more knowledge in those areas will respond to it soon enough :thup:

Archived