Sports Interactive Community
Stuart Warren

Football Manager 2014 - Update 14.2.2 - Feedback Thread

How often does that keeper error happen? If, when it happens, most of the time, the shot is well wide, then I don't see an issue. I can think of times when keepers have done that and a player's gone for the immediate shot, so that in itself isn't really a problem unless it happens a lot.

Guest El Payaso

In terms of match engine I think that this update is a big step to the right direction. At leat in my saves gone are the super wingers that were able to dribble past 2-3 opponents starting from zero pace. I actually haven't seen any dominant runs with this update and that is how it should be when you're not dealing with Messi, Robben or Ronaldo. Eden Hazard for example is a great dribbler but he is basically never able to leave full-backs to bite the dust when running with the ball.

It's now more about tactical things when you cannot trust so much in 'good' attacking individuals being unstoppable. I can now be much more relaxed when watching the games as I am able to trust that my defence will not be facing unstoppable dribblers.

I think that creativity and defending without sliding tackles can still be improved but the changes between this version and the previous ones are significant. I'm happy with this engine.

E: went back to try the game with Chelsea and sadly the super dribbling still was there. Played the super cup game against Bayern and especially Ribery and Hazard were just unstoppable with the ball. Well, back to lower league it is.

I just kept getting an offer for Sakho and wanted to negotiate a price and make it non negotiable but clicking the button isn't doing anything.

Only played a couple of games last night (my wife didn't understand the "But there's a new patch!" argument for playing through the evening), but on that limited sample size I have to say that the game seemed to be better. There were some differences, but I felt like I was more in control and that the players were doing what I told them to do; that's really all I was looking for. It didn't feel like a chaotic scramble all the time.

Honestly, I think that losing the ball's "ice rink" feel had a lot to do with that, even though it's cosmetic. Just felt like things moved better. Defenders definitely were more interested in defending, people generally did their jobs (I did have a DC randomly take a penalty, which I thought was a bug until further review showed that it was because the better takers were all on the bench), and my tactic operated the way I felt it was supposed to operate (lots of possession, not many chances, but that's a tactical issue I'm trying to work around.

All in all, nice work. I DIDN'T lose tactical familiarity, either; should I have?

I just kept getting an offer for Sakho and wanted to negotiate a price and make it non negotiable but clicking the button isn't doing anything.

Thanks for the feedback. We are taking a look at the problem.

Cheers,

Ben

May be just me - but the font of the players name when watching 3D appears different. Looks more clunky and harder to read. Playing on Mac Retina so it may be related to that...

Same here playing with a desktop PC, the changed font is much harder to read.

That keeper issue that daylight posted has been there in at least the last two versions of the game (I mean 12 and 13, not updates of this game), so I don't see it being fixed anytime soon. It's happened for and against me in the past, and whilst it shouldn't be happening at all, it's still currently rare enough not to be a gamebreaker IMO.

It must be relatively difficult to fix as the players will be hardwired into trying to keep the ball in play when there's no-one close by, so to give a keeper an instruction to boot it into touch could have consequences in non-threatening situations. The only instance at the moment, as far as I know, where a player will deliberately kick it out the park is for an injury, and that's rare enough. Tough one for SI, at least I assume it is given it's been in at least the last two instalments of the game.

I have racked up 3300 hours on FM12 and I have never seen an instance of the keeper doing this. Must be my tactics. :lol:

I was going to 'raise' this a little further... The height of the ball is indeed insane in 2D, which i always use due to the irritation the 3D ME brings... The ball, particularly from corners, goal kicks and even sometimes just little dinked through-balls looks as though it's about to leave the stadium and shots often rise through the air and then dip at great speed (or at least that's how it looks on screen) ala Cristiano Ronaldo.

Takes a bit of getting used to, that's for sure...

Just wish I could get used to strikers not scoring again - Le Fondre now one goal in 19 (as mentioned before, had 15 a third of way through season before update). The much missed variation of goals seems to have disappeared and instead all are now coming from set pieces or opposition defenders tackling and loose ball falling to unmarked player clean through. Can't remember the last assist I had from open play.

All just feels so random again - am back to adjusting tactics simply to pick up on ME flaws, not simulate football.

PS. Had Stephen Kelly score twice, direct from long throws down the right. Both evaded the heads of defenders and attackers alike, bounced about a yard in front of keeper and bobbled in...

So are you saying a goal was scored direct from a throw with no-one touching the ball? IRL this wouldn't be a goal.

If this really happened I suggest you raise a bug and upload the pkm, I'd love to see this as I've not seen ever happen

Thanks for the feedback. We are taking a look at the problem.

Cheers,

Ben

Am I to believe that there maybe a little update fix for some of these problems very soon or will it be a big update early next Year.

By the way I really love the update. Top work guys.

I think you're both right. The keeper in all honesty should be hitting it out of the ground, not keeping it in play.

Also, the technique required to score the goal is out of the top drawer, so I can see milnerpoint's argument too. It just wouldn't happen considering the keeper has hammered the ball at him.

Edit: It's out of a special hidden compartment in the top drawer, actually.

Yeah thats my point, the technique needed to hit that shot, that accurate is absolutely incredible. The keeper kick is certainly a bug, but id be asking why that player is able to take on that shot, and its not like he is the only example of being able to do that, whenever you see this bug with the poor kick out the player it lands on is always able to hit it first time, from anywhere, and score.

The worst incident I have had since the crash is my right wing back playing a back pace which was really a lob over the keeper and almost went into the back of the net. The goalkeeper saved it but unfortunately it went straight to the opposition who scored. Not sure what a player is thinking that makes them put a back pass so far into the air it goes straight over the keepers head.

But still I am liking the new patch, it is good.

Was worried by those La Liga and EPL table screenshots, but thanks Tony Fallows for clearing that up.

My initial thoughts. Note, I've only had time to play 3 matches, all on comprehensive.

- I've noticed the creation and attacking side is much better. Pre-patch my attackers would get in a clear scoring area and fire it at the keeper, but now they finish off strikes that I'd expect a granny to finish.

- More varied goals.

- Some great through balls

- More misplaced passes. This is realistic and also could relate to the drop in tactical familiarity.

- Players listening to corner instructions

- Saw players missing tackles or falling over (defender being turned, then off balance). Hadn't seen that in 2.5 seasons of play.

- Bonus demands are smaller. Even existing players ask for smaller ones. Won't be evident after all players are renewed/sold.

- Still too many slide tackles

- Slow/lag in any interaction. I read why, but I disagree. It shouldn't be included in this version. It feels like lag, and I don't think it's a great inclusion making us wait those extra seconds. I know, 1st World problems right? But agents also have this lag, so come January when I "Approach to Sign" players there is the lag in each negotiation. It doesn't feel like a conversation, it feels like lag. I speed read, so prefer the old method. Plus, after a long term save we all know the responses anyway. I really believe this is the wrong way to go, by intentionally making it slower.

I could mention keeper derpyness but as I said I've only played 3 games. Most of my time was pre-contract hunting (1st Jan). Hopefully will get a longer stint over the coming week, so will comment back.

I have to say, I really like the new font for the player names in game, so I'm hoping it's not changed back. My only gripe is that it's not featured on 2D classic view (but is on normal 2D), other than that, looks great IMO.

For me the lastest patch's a set back prior to the previous one as my GK is doing silly mistakes again, the long shots are too much too many (even given the instruction to bring the ball inside the 16 yard box don't seem to help to stop my midfield players from shooting all over the place) and my defenders are again so weak especially in defending set pieces from the opponent...Really disappointed about this update, instead of fixing things you guys are fixing stuff to break down other things that were solved in former patches.

You're busy making your tactics work to be reset to zero after every patch, that's frustrating as it ruins the game-fun. Also, I'm using my training schedules and scouting to look for particular profiles that fit my tactics, it's no fun that halfway your third season you're obliged to erase all talents you've found already because the new patch is demanding other and new things from every position in the field to be successfull again...It feels like a massive waiste of time playing like this.

Maybe you guys could tell us which patch'll be the final one for ME changes so people can start on long term saves without the need to overhaul everything every time a new patch comes up.

I had one of these last night, and they are frequent enough to be considered bugged in my opinion.

Please upload a .pkm to the Bugs Forum.

believe me - I've logged this with a lot of pkm evidence. The issue is not the keeper taking the kick outside his area by the touchline, its that he is NOT kicking down the line when he should. Instead he makes a suicidal cross-field pass which is open to interception and sometmes a goal

believe me - I've logged this with a lot of pkm evidence. The issue is not the keeper taking the kick outside his area by the touchline, its that he is NOT kicking down the line when he should. Instead he makes a suicidal cross-field pass which is open to interception and sometmes a goal

I'd rather they just launched it out of the stadium to be honest.

In the video posted earlier, the keeper does try to play it up the line and a goal is still scored as it isn't played far enough down field.

In a perfect world, they'd assess the time and space they have, and then pick an appropriate "safe" pass.

Where they don't have time or space, they should just kick it out of play and get back in goal. Safety first.

I think the bigger issue there is how the player is able to hit that first time right down the middle of the goal. I mean the keepers kick is certainly an issue, but the fact the player is able to hit that first time straight in would annoy me more than the keeper. Its an extremely hard shot to take and get right and even more so straight from a keeper kicking it up field.

I agree with Daylight on this. It's the same as the freekick issue that occurs when the keeper passes it straight to a forward to promptly volleys it to the net. Whilst the striker shouldn't score every time, he shouldn't be given the chance in the first place.

@RTHerringbone: This particular issue has been noted since the beginning of the last patch (I posted about it, whilst I'm sure others did) and I'd be very surprised if they needed extra evidence.

Same here playing with a desktop PC, the changed font is much harder to read.

Agreed. Also playing on PC and not liking new font - defintely more difficult to read....Maybe people could be given a coice between old font and new one as it seems to have received a mixed reception.

@RTHerringbone: This particular issue has been noted since the beginning of the last patch (I posted about it, whilst I'm sure others did) and I'd be very surprised if they needed extra evidence.

Yeah, it's mentioned a few times in the Bugs Forum and acknowledged by SI.

Even sounds as if they thought it was fixed to some extent but I guess it remains a work in progress.

I've already found a problem with the update, goalkeepers distribution is poor basically gives it to the striker for them to score, its happened 3 times already, I've got a lot of time for football manager and love the game but there seems to be one problem after another

Congrats for releasing the latest patch SI :)

I have only one bad point to mention so far.... When FM14 was released (before the 1st patch) the "auto-hide action bar" in Match preferences was working the way it should by actually hiding the action bar when not in use. This has stopped working since first patch (well the option is still here but it does not work) when playing in windowed mode. have you any plans to bring it back?

Thanks

Seems good so far, but has the design for matches been changed. The font above the players name has changed and the assistant advice bar has changed(as in the options on what to do).

I agree with Daylight on this. It's the same as the freekick issue that occurs when the keeper passes it straight to a forward to promptly volleys it to the net. Whilst the striker shouldn't score every time, he shouldn't be given the chance in the first place.

Yeah dont get me wrong, im not saying the keepers kick isnt an issue, but that chance is incredibly hard, can you think of a single instance of a player taking a shot first time, from a long kick from the opposition, and being able to land it within the goal posts? It should be a 1 chance in a million to score situation.

How on earth do I stop the default to "selection" on the tactics screen at team selection just prior to a match?

Updated files through steam, cleared cache and that worked for 3 games. Didn't touch anything else and now its defaulting to selection once again rather than my chosen custom view. Just about ready to delete the game. Spent 4 hours today reading these forums and testing and trying to find a work around. This update is without doubt the single most frustrated I have ever been at any point in any version of CM or FM.

as stated by others corners especially for the computer are way too op, every corner get hit right under my cross inswing and outswing and each and every one scare the living crap out of my defenders. Also when they do actually clear the corners the clearances are always under cleared and never leave my box

Post installation of the 2nd update I've found two issues (which have been posted into the bug forum)

The first are 'ghost tactics'. I don't have a screenshot sorry, as I had already altered the tactics in-game before considering to post. Basically, instructions that were appended to specific players had migrated to the next player in line.

So, for example, a 'tackle harder' instruction that was formerly given to a DM suddenly had migrated to the next positional player, the RM. And the 'cross centre' instruction that was given to the RM, had moved to the LM. And so on and so forth throughout the team. The actual ghost instruction itself didn't show with the white font as normal, but was blacked out and almost illegible. It is not an ongoing issue - I reset my instructions to their former settings once and they have remained intact.

The second issue, brightness of graphics. See below examples:

10BEF4DF75D37CC6A8FAE92EE69ED97F56D91942

8FF454A3113DE4AF1BF35807CC3B8F7856ECB371

I have played almost two seasons and this is the first encounter of this graphics anomaly. As it is limited to the sidelines, I suppose this is a representation of floodlighting? It looks much worse in game than in these images, it is almost a block whiteout. I considered it may be a PC/graphics card issue, but I have changed nothing on my desktop since installing the 14.0.2 and it is a new PC (under six months) that has experienced no previous graphical issue.

---

Any thoughts on this lads? Other managers experiencing this graphics anomaly?

Hmm, this is working here for me in both FM and FMC games. Any one else with this problem?

Ditto for me, the other icons/buttons you can add are all working but not the fixtures

Hi Andy, pretty sure that's a graphic that occurs when it's been snowing! Have a look on your match overview screen and see what the weather is.

A couple of things of note...

I've gone back to my Arsenal save as I can now renew contracts with less obscene demands from my players - A good thing!!

I seem to be playing better football than 14.1.3 - I'm moving the ball about better and it seems less 'rigid'. I couldn't comment on 14.1.4 as I started a new save with a different team (and boy did I struggle). That's only after 1 game mind as my save was from post season.

I'm not sure if it's been noticed before but having had my players back for 5 days and just played my first pre-season and my squad training screen is blank apart from 'Squad end of season break'.

Theo Walcott still seems unwilling to stick the ball in the box from a cross but that's after one game of the pre-season so I'll just keep an eye on it. He does still seem to head off on a run and sometimes have to track back to get the ball which I noticed in 14.1.3 but again - 1st pre-season game and 1 game doesn't not a decent analysis make.

Anyway, seems positive so far and if that 'end of season break' thing continues for another week I'll log it as a bug.

Players are still knobs at conversations it seems.

"Congrats on scoring for England!"

"Screw you boss, I ain't scoring for you."

"Okie dokie then sir!"

*player feels previous chat went badly*

It went bad, cos you're an ungrateful ***** who couldn't take a simple compliment... =/ I mean seriously, if this was real life and a player reacted in that way you'd think he was a colossal douche bag. Why SI thinks its entirely justifiable behaviour in game is beyond me.

Asked this 4 times now. How do I stop the default to selection instead of my custom view in tactics on a match day ? Asked in this thread 3 times and in the bugs forum also. Spent 4 hours reading today to no avail. TBH I've had enough. Over the last month I've asked over 20 questions and not once had a single question acknowledged let alone answered. Clearly I must be completely stupid, or manifestly ignorant.

I have only managed a handful of games as I have been rather busy, I sure hope I will not be seeing many of these goals though.

[video=youtube;EmlGBRIqfhk]

It really frustrates me when keepers at the top level make these sort of errors, if it only happens once in a blue moon I can just about make my peace with it but I sure hope it is not like when the keeper was taking free kicks from the sidelines and passing it to the opposing player to score open goals, that was happening way too often.

On the video keepers would and should be launching it out of the stadium.

My biggest problem with this is the ball physics. I can't believe more people aren't kicking up a fuss about it. The decision making of the keeper is strange but not beyond comprehension, the technique required by the attacker to hit it first time is top quality but not impossible, in theory. However the ice-rink style bouncing and acceleration of the ball across the turf like there's no such thing as friction, completely puts me off. I hated FM13 and never got into it for a number of reasons, mostly because the ice skating physics of the ball were absurd. I've vowed to leave it until after January before thinking about getting FM14, when it's been properly patched. I pop in now and again to lurk on feedback threads and gauge what state the game is in - to see a video of the ME in 14.2 and the ball is still moving like its on an air hockey table, is gutting. Clearly it's not considered a problem or it would've been fixed two games ago, as a priority, let alone several patches and updates into this version. Will keep going with my FM12 save at this rate - a flawed ME in many ways itself, but at least the ball moved like, you know, a football, rather than an ice hockey puck.

This new update disconfigurated and shuffled my midfield player positions when i alternate between my saved tactics. (for example, my AMF allways changes with my DMF). Players are not anchored in the position that i choose. I've wasted 2 hours rebuilding my 3 tactics from scratch, carefully draging the players' positions so i don't mess up with the other tactics, and and still no luck...

I'll show you what i mean.

Before the update:

image.jpg

After the update:

image.jpg

Has the same evil happened to others? Any solutions?

Im sorry but having played around half a season on the new patch i can safely say this has ruined fm for me.

1. as i stated earlier opposition corners are way too effective

2. my goaly is now unable to make a decent save (at least in highlights)

3. fullbacks still defend way too deep compared to my centrebacks which means they play everyone onside even if i have 'play offsides on'

4. inconjunction to 3 my centre backs go flying forward too press the opposition no matter what settings i have so this leaves a simple 1-2 and with everybody being on side i get cut open

5. even with cross often on both my fullbacks they still refuse to cross or at least to my target man which is set to cross to. The few times they do actually cross they cut it back to my centre mids

6. My team are barely able to make simple passes around the computer ( this honestly shouldnt be tactical when this is a basic fundamental part of football and playing with world class players shouldnt really be an issue

7. my players never seem to want to cut it back in a 2-1 situation for a simple tap in (this has been an issue for me since lord only knows when on fm)

For the negatives i will say this the update has improved a few things

1.my strikers can now score 1-1s which for the whole of 14.1.4 i never scored a single 1-1

2. no more stupid Sol Campbell like slides across the pitch to block shots

3. well 1 and 2 were the only ones i can think off

on a side note as a whole i am completely dissatisfied with this product and sadly there is no way on earth i am able to get a refund which i personally think is a joke tbh

the resolution of the pitch has gone dramatically down hill in 3D view...why is this?

The rest of it is ok....if you can get past the fact that my defenders prefer to run backwards and sideways to try to cut out a through ball that they should easily get to but somehow don't...

I've won 5/5 since the patch though although there's far too many goals for both teams still.

Ok seriously what is up with the evidently increased injuries. Thought it was just coincidence, but i have 10 injuries since the update...Thats in 12 games. Not all long term but two of them are. What happened?

Oh... and the 'Algeria' player history still hasn't be resolved...granted I've got a season extra of recorded data but I like to see the goal scoring history of my strikers. I brought it up on the bugs forum but got no response. Still not fixed. Hmmmmm.

Small thing that's quite annoying. Updating as changed my place of birth in my save game. Started out with it as Truro, and I've had a news report when I started saying Truro. Just reached my 100th game in management and it now says I'm from London and has changed it in my profile. I quite liked having my place of birth listed, not the same now that it's been changed mid game.

Oh... and the 'Algeria' player history still hasn't be resolved...granted I've got a season extra of recorded data but I like to see the goal scoring history of my strikers. I brought it up on the bugs forum but got no response. Still not fixed. Hmmmmm.

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/374354-Player-History-Bug

It looks like Mr.Brock did respond. Hmmmmm.

Also, my physio keeps saying rest this player or that when i rotate all the time. Something has changed in regards to fitness levels. Anybody have a clue to that or the increase in injuries?

Yeah dont get me wrong, im not saying the keepers kick isnt an issue, but that chance is incredibly hard, can you think of a single instance of a player taking a shot first time, from a long kick from the opposition, and being able to land it within the goal posts? It should be a 1 chance in a million to score situation.

not entirely the same, but http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHSavwXSfyw

You're right, it's one in a million of it happening. However, the goalkeeper issue is a frequent thing and pretty annoying.

The worst incident I have had since the crash is my right wing back playing a back pace which was really a lob over the keeper and almost went into the back of the net. The goalkeeper saved it but unfortunately it went straight to the opposition who scored. Not sure what a player is thinking that makes them put a back pass so far into the air it goes straight over the keepers head.

But still I am liking the new patch, it is good.

first game after the patch this happened to me but my goalie just stood there while it went just over his head and went in .. next goal after patch hit the post then the goalie on the back of the head and went in ... normal goals since though

To be clear, this only appears to happen when you start a game with the start date set mid-season. In this case starting in Finland (December 2013) will put you at a point where 17 matches have been played in the top European leagues. For some reason the AI is selecting youth players for these matches, hence the poor performance. We're looking into it, but if this is something you do not want to experience then be sure to set your start date for the start of the season. :)

Thank you Tony! Top man.

Keepers are horrible at 14.2. Played 2 games with Hearts. One ended 5 x 5 against St. Johnstone and the other my team won. 3 x 2 against Hibs.

At these two games, keepers made wrong pass, giving the ball to the opponent inside the box and with poor saving at corners. Uploading some videos to put here.