Football Manager 2014 - Update 14.2.2 - Feedback Thread

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If i recall well, they said it is not a lag, but a "more realistic conversation".

1357105005463.jpg

I'm also frustrated with that. Among other things.

Yes, they said it is to make it more realistic, which in my opinion is complete BS. In reality, the players are stroppy Prima Donnas, who take a heck of a lot of man managing, but they won't put this in the game as it would take the game too far. This 'lag' in conversations is in the same bracket as the aforementioned issue and should be removed.

It adds very little, as when you get a pause in real life, it is usually accompanied by a facial expression or a certain body language indicating the reason for the pause. Unless they can create graphics (which I am in no way suggesting they do!)to back up the pause, it'll never replicate real life. Get rid of it, I keep thinking my crappy laptop has crashed! :D

do the people complaining about conceding too many from corners try to copy what the ai do?

assuming its true about what the ai can do you can it will at the very least even games out or even show up any ai advantage

I thought that at first, but after trying that and mixing up zonal marking, man marking, specific instruction etc. All to little or no avail.

It's not a major issue, it's not something that makes me want to stop playing. It's just an annoyance. It's not every corner and not every match but certainly more than you'd expect.

Make logic balanced system and you will get results they say. Now, I'm not saying that's not true but how this stands against tactics created by Fuss and Hough ? I don't know maybe I'm wrong but how system with two F9 and DW/s and CM/d that is illogical (for me) makes people who use it have extremely good results. It seems that illogical things may work better with current ME while things that sound logical may lead to frustrations caused by ME shape.

Make logic balanced system and you will get results they say. Now, I'm not saying that's not true but how this stands against tactics created by Fuss and Hough ? I don't know maybe I'm wrong but how system with two F9 and DW/s and CM/d that is illogical (for me) makes people who use it have extremely good results. It seems that illogical things may work better with current ME while things that sound logical may lead to frustrations caused by ME shape.

Have you got the same squad as the people this tactic was successful for? If not, then maybe that's why it isn't so successful.

The best way to avoid what you consider to be illogical sounding downloadable tactics, is to ignore them.

I'm not sure what tactic you are referring to, but I agree that two False Nine's doesn't sound like a "normal" set up on the face of it, but a few tweaks to Player Instructions can make a Role quite different to the default settings.

I don't get your answer. Did you actually read what I had written or you are just quoting and answering randomly ?

Despite the snarky response, admittedly, I read it slightly wrongly. I thought you were asking why you weren't having success with some of the "plug-and-play" tactics despite others having it. Apologies.

Having re-read it, it's an easier answer though. The best approach is to think logically when it comes to tactics. If you do so correctly, then your tactic will always be sound in the ME, barring a catastrophic update. Some of the plug-and-play tactics which have high success rates may have either directly or indirectly make use of their "randomness" to exploit the ME in some way. In these cases, the formation can look extremely odd, but still be successful.

I would also say that some of the more learned tacticians on the forum have put up some mental looking formations, but they get results. Just because it looks unusual doesn't mean it is - it's just fitting players into the rigid positional settings. Real life teams may play something similar, but Sky would never show their formation pre-game as a 1-2-2-1-3-1.

If i recall well, they said it is not a lag, but a "more realistic conversation".

I'm also frustrated with that. Among other things.

The problem is not with the conversations but with the delay between windows: when I'm at the players match stats, I chat with every player to praise his match and there is an enormous delay when ending the chat and returning to the match stats window

Despite the snarky response, admittedly, I read it slightly wrongly. I thought you were asking why you weren't having success with some of the "plug-and-play" tactics despite others having it. Apologies.

Sorry for overreacting.

The best way to avoid what you consider to be illogical sounding downloadable tactics, is to ignore them.

I'm not sure what tactic you are referring to, but I agree that two False Nine's doesn't sound like a "normal" set up on the face of it, but a few tweaks to Player Instructions can make a Role quite different to the default settings.

Here's the link. I will appreciate if someone can explain me why does it work. It's against any rules and advices that I can read in tactics section.

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/383727-Mr-Hough-The-Beast-Is-Back-Tactic-Thread-FM14

Sorry for overreacting.

No problem - my fault for not reading properly!

Here's the link. I will appreciate if someone can explain me why does it work. It's against any rules and advices that I can read in tactics section.

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/383727-Mr-Hough-The-Beast-Is-Back-Tactic-Thread-FM14

It doesn't look as wild as some I've seen, but it doesn't really follow some of the "sensible" approaches outlined in the tactics forum, agree. I'm guessing (and it's a wild guess) that all the support roles are confusing the defence. Football usually works that a defender will have at least one player to mark, but having no-one up there leads to confused defenders in real life, let alone in FM.

Threads like that make me sad for some reason. I know it's up to each individual user how they play their game, but looks like a lot of people just want a tactic they can add and then romp everything. Just seems boring to me when you don't have any understanding behind why it's working. But to each their own.

N

It doesn't look as wild as some I've seen, but it doesn't really follow some of the "sensible" approaches outlined in the tactics forum, agree. I'm guessing (and it's a wild guess) that all the support roles are confusing the defence. Football usually works that a defender will have at least one player to mark, but having no-one up there leads to confused defenders in real life, let alone in FM.

Additionally, each individual player has been given player instructions too. Both forwards are encouraged to roam, and the supporting wingers are being told to "get further forward", which lessens the impact in both cases of having them on support duties to a degree. With the full backs both on attacking duty, that does create a lot of movement already anyway. Having two centre midfielders on "defend" duty has never been anything illogical by default. It means that both of them will keep their position, which is less of an issue (or at least cause of a lessened link between central midfield and strike partnership) with two False Nines who drop off either way, no more, no less.

In general though, nobody should confuse "illogical" download tactics being successful with there being no logics to anything. Firstly, on the occasion somebody who creates those tactics doesn't quite exactly know why it works either – people often just throw random stuff at the engine and AI and test what sticks, such as: having tons of players who run from deep, having all forwards dropping off into space, creating wildly unusual patterns of off the ball movement in general. Or indeed lack thereof: FM 2012's most popular scheme included keeping FB's always back at bay, have a bunch of central players who also defended all game too which frustrated the AI as none of its default tactics threw enough men forward to break such down (in an online save with human players, those might have recognized and adjusted accordingly). Additionally the few remaining forwards were bombed with through balls from deep.

By FM 2013, this was dead as a universally good tactics: Due to marking being improved the space of the isolated forwards is killed more often than not (as it would in real football, which prior wasn't the case often), and as you're effectively isolating them with nobody coming in from deep to support them you're relying solely on their hopefully great invidual skill (dribblings, etc.) to get aything going at all if you still encourage such. You can still try (probably still looks somewhat decent against a lot of opposition with a front three of Messi, Falcao and Robben), but it's much less effective, as it would be in real football.

Secondly, the advice given here is not at all a set of hard rules. If you know why for instance it is advisable to have an "attacking" player both in defense and midfield and similar, you can derivate from that on the occasion (i.e. turn your attacking outlet in defense into a defender during the last ten minutes to see a game out, you may not field a single "true" forward if you roughly know what you're doing and why whilst the guide is always talking as if at least one would be a must, etc. etc.

Thirdly, the chance that a download tactics doesn't quite work with a coming iteration of a game is high, even a simple ME update. The logics infused into the guidelines are and always be universal, as their thinking is football logics which are always meant to be a part of each ME. Download tactics, as argued, usually throw crap and check what sticks with whatever version for whichever reason. With them thus being a possible cause of massive frustration (and no understanding gained of the game at all), that is another reason for the more sensible advice given.

The problem is not with the conversations but with the delay between windows: when I'm at the players match stats, I chat with every player to praise his match and there is an enormous delay when ending the chat and returning to the match stats window

I couldn't agree more. Previous versions (without that "lag") were way better.

Hello friends, we are going to the middle of February, the next patch will come out only after the completion of European (especially Russian) window ... More than transfers and match engine, will this patch will fix all reported bugs and crashs, and will have improvements and new?

I'm very anxious, because the game is very good taking the match engine which is weak, but a finisher patch always gets the thumbs fm further in this version!

I have seen the direct forum threads here and not see anyone of sigames if prontificando about improvements being made ​​in the patch.

I think engine to match the main points that should be adjusted and the movement of the players and the field and moving the ball ...

Besides marking and bugs with the goalkeepers, apart from that I believe that everything is flowing well ...

One thing that strikes me much attention to the game and my 2d is slower and often give lags relative to 3d, that to me and very annoying because I like to play in 2d and would like for this new game mode

What do you tell your substitutes to avoid they become desinterested of the match ????

I tell mine that I have confidence (passionately) but they always feel desinterested or complacent during the match and this happens only with the subs.

I say the same and I never have a problem with them ??

Is this just for me ?? I did not play FM 13 but had FM12 where after winning with my club I was offered the manager's role of all the top countries . Now I am in 2023, playing with Manchester United , winning a lot and I have not even got one offer for national team management .

Anything on this ??

Agreed, very annoying. It was all good before 14.2

Threads like that make me sad for some reason. I know it's up to each individual user how they play their game, but looks like a lot of people just want a tactic they can add and then romp everything. Just seems boring to me when you don't have any understanding behind why it's working. But to each their own.

Agreed. Very depressing thread.

So the next patch will be the last, right? The patch end february/ beginning March usually is.

The last major update yes, there are usually a couple of minor tweaks after it to correct anything game-breaking that is found once the update is live.

What do you tell your substitutes to avoid they become desinterested of the match ????

I tell mine that I have confidence (passionately) but they always feel desinterested or complacent during the match and this happens only with the subs.

"Have faith" (or the equivalent), usually calmly. Pretty much always get a mix of no reaction and fired up.

surely it has nothing to do with that, because my start eleven reacts very well to the lectures, the problem is only with the subs.

Unfortunately for you there is only one LOGICAL conclusion from that statement - you are telling your subs the wrong things.

I'm sure you will dispute this - but you need to face facts here.

Hi,

I noticed that giving the goalkeeper of personal instructions to pass the ball to his teammate XXX, this never fails to comply with the requirements.

It happens to you?

I'm sure others have said that's a bug. You can distribute to defenders and short, but not to specific players. I think SI are aware.

I usually tell my younger players I have faith in them and my experienced players that I expect them to do the business, if a player is low on morale, telling him that you have faith or there is more to come from him usually perks him up. Unfortunately during pre season is a time when a lot of players become disinterested due to the fact you play against lesser teams to build up fitness but when the season starts and meaningful games kick in, morale usually picks up and they look more interested in things.

I'm sure others have said that's a bug. You can distribute to defenders and short, but not to specific players. I think SI are aware.

Seen that there is a special command I think it's a bug.

Well, if I wanted to start the game by the defense ... it is irritating that every time he takes the ball to the goalkeeper kicks.

Seen that there is a special command I think it's a bug.

Well, if I wanted to start the game by the defense ... it is irritating that every time he takes the ball to the goalkeeper kicks.

You've logged this in the bugs forum?? You know they've reviewed it too. Surely there is no reason to keep bringing it up?

Bug, after bug, after bug, after bug.

Players has an asking price after being listed by request. I had that bid accepted by didn't have the money so the transfer was cancelled.

Then I went to remake the bid but his asking price went up. Nevertheless I made the bid and that was rejected. His asking price comes down, and when I enquire about his availability I get one of two responses:

He's not for sale;

or they ask for his asking price. I bid that, and they say the offer isn't acceptable!

Most buggy FM ever made?

Bug, after bug, after bug, after bug.

Players has an asking price after being listed by request. I had that bid accepted by didn't have the money so the transfer was cancelled.

Then I went to remake the bid but his asking price went up. Nevertheless I made the bid and that was rejected. His asking price comes down, and when I enquire about his availability I get one of two responses:

He's not for sale;

or they ask for his asking price. I bid that, and they say the offer isn't acceptable!

Most buggy FM ever made?

Raised it in the bugs forum?

I really hope that in the final patch there will be a difference between tactical knowledge/right tactic and "know how to play football".

I say it because, also if i find myself, at least, not so bad with this game - talking about results - it's very frustrating that if you try to change your tactic - and you do a crap - your team don't lose for the mistakes you made but - talking about 3D - for individual errors that even me at 12 years old don't do play in the garden with a bunch of friends.

If in the lower level this can happen it's very annoying seeing world class players do individual errors one after another.

If the tactic is wrong - and i admit, sometimes i try very absurd tactics - you MUST lose tactically, not for these things.

If i use a wrong tactic, Ibra don't forget how to score one-on-one, Ozil don't forget how to stop a ball and Hart don't forget that he is a keeper.

I really hope that in the final patch there will be a difference between tactical knowledge/right tactic and "know how to play football".

I say it because, also if i find myself, at least, not so bad with this game - talking about results - it's very frustrating that if you try to change your tactic - and you do a crap - your team don't lose for the mistakes you made but - talking about 3D - for individual errors that even me at 12 years old don't do play in the garden with a bunch of friends.

If in the lower level this can happen it's very annoying seeing world class players do individual errors one after another.

If the tactic is wrong - and i admit, sometimes i try very absurd tactics - you MUST lose tactically, not for these things.

If i use a wrong tactic, Ibra don't forget how to score one-on-one, Ozil don't forget how to stop a ball and Hart don't forget that he is a keeper.

Totally agree, and if you say to them wrong team talk they look like bunch of idiots. And AI cant score from normal attack it always must be goal from set piece.

The last example is probably the worst one you could have thought of to make your point! :lol:

Anyway, even top players make mistakes, and quite often lots of them over a 90 minute match. People only tend to remember the moments of brilliance and skill from great players rather than duff passes, poor touches, and awful finishing. Ibra, for example had a free header at the weekend there, five yards out, and ballooned it miles over the bar. That was nothing to do with bad tactics, he simply caught it all wrong. What earlier versions of FM have done has made the better players almost superhuman in their faultless displays week in, week out. That's way more unrealistic than the bad touches and fluffed chances you see in this version.

The last example is probably the worst one you could have thought of to make your point! :lol:

Anyway, even top players make mistakes, and quite often lots of them over a 90 minute match. People only tend to remember the moments of brilliance and skill from great players rather than duff passes, poor touches, and awful finishing. Ibra, for example had a free header at the weekend there, five yards out, and ballooned it miles over the bar. That was nothing to do with bad tactics, he simply caught it all wrong. What earlier versions of FM have done has made the better players almost superhuman in their faultless displays week in, week out. That's way more unrealistic than the bad touches and fluffed chances you see in this version.

Like always, you're right but i try to explain why i said what i said.

First, why Hart :D

That's because i assume that most of the users here are english, but surely i could use a better example :D

And for the mistakes: surely is like you said. But fact is that in the opponent team i never see these mistakes, or at least - i know for you "words are important" - in a very very minor way. I

I think that's because the AI teams knows well the tactics they use - also if i never understand why they can't learn day after day like our teams - but i repeat, sometimes you play (ex.) Inter VS Bologna and you see Guarin or others doing mistakes...and that surely can happen.

But on the other side rarely you see the low level players of Bologna do the same.

So, if it's because your tactic is wrong/not well knowned, these mistakes have a relation to this but still are individual errors that nothing have to do with the tactic.

In facts, when my tactic becomes better knowned/right these individual errors decreases, so...

That's what i intended to say.

Sorry for my "maccaroni" english :D

I don't think player mistakes are necessarily the result of bad tactics - although they can be if a player has no pass open or if multiple players are trying to occupy the same space - they sometimes just happen because players are human, and it's high time SI started to incorporate that more. I see lots of player errors from AI controlled sides too, incidentally, so I'm not sure if it's just a case of you noticing it more when it's your own team which would be understandable.

It hasn't happened to me, but I would say a big area of contention is new Stadium naming.

I saw in another thread that someone had been managing Chelsea and the new stadium was named after one of their players. Not JT or Fat Frank or even DD, but David Luiz. Now I know he was probably brilliant for them but.... it would be good if the game was able to put forward a shortlist of potential names that were going to be used and you could get to voice your opinion.

What actually made me think about this was the death of a proper legend Sir Tom Finney. It should just be a done deal that of Preston get a new stadium then that's the name that will be used.

Actually, that's ridiculous! I've just looked at Preston in the game and Sir Tom is not even on the list. Come on guys. have a word. Moyes is an Icon and Billy Jones and Kevin Davies are on the list, together with a Brazilian GK who played 16 games on loan and another loanee who played 8 games. (The Premiership is not an active league by the way).

I just think it's an opportunity for SI to include a little bit of club history. I'm sure he is already, (he's not but he should bloomin well be), listed as a Legend or Icon so it should be an easy development from there.

The list for potential candidates could be something like this.

1. Record all-time club league appearance holder.

2. Record all-time club league goalscorer holder.

3. Staff member on Icon/legend list.

4. An entry programmed in by the SI team, (like Sir Tom Finney for PNE or Danny Blanchflower at Spurs)

5. Nomination from current manager (if 1-3 isn't that outstanding).

Sometimes a bit of proper history is better than just what is more recent.

Unfortunately for you there is only one LOGICAL conclusion from that statement - you are telling your subs the wrong things.

I'm sure you will dispute this - but you need to face facts here.

what facts ????

I tell my subs I have confidence in them, the reaction is generaly good (never bad or stressed) but then during the match they turn uninterested or complacent.

Archived