Football Manager 2014 - Update 14.2.2 - Feedback Thread

Well, from what I read in here, I think I'm playing a completely different version of FM, because I'm enjoying it and don't encounter many of the issues mentioned. Anyway, here is my feedback for 14.2.*:

1. Shooting is really improved. Now the attackers seem to aim at almost 100% of the net. They search for the corners of the net, they don't just shoot the ball on the keeper. The only goals from shot until 14.2.1 were deflection on the keepers.

2. Pressing is very improved too. My team seems to press as a unit and not headless chickens running without any reason. Of course, once in a while, a good passer will expose my team, but that's ok, I think it makes sense.

3. Wing play is a joy, actually. Both wingers and full backs seem to work together great, leading to realistic plays whether this is a cross or a run.

4. At last, my team is counter attacking. I mean, until I 14.1.4, I remember seeing an airfield in front of them and screaming at my monitor "Run Forrest, RUN!", but they never did. Now they find space, they exploit it.

5. Obvious through balls are obvious. And made.

Some things that need work:

About the corner thing (you may notice that the same havoc is created when you have a player with the Long flat bullet throw PPM): It doesn't bother me too much. What puzzles me though is that most shoots that come from corners are top-notch shots, the ones that attackers in open play can't make. Something triggers fantastic shot in corners, which do not happen in open play that much.

First touch needs a tiny bit of tuning, not to the extent to make all players glue the ball on their legs. If there is a choice, leave it as it is now.

Tacklings are flying in all over the pitch, in some areas and occasions that in real football there is not need to make a tackle.

Woodwork numbers are high, but I completely disregard them. I try to remember it's just a pc game and if you want to make it realistic, as for 2014, you have to leave a few holes. I prefer seeing 3 woodworks in a game than a 7-4 final score.

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sorry for the abuse as you have gained reputation as someone who loves to argue against other people's complain and tactics. Yes multiple seasons, 1st season 116, 2nd season 127, 3rd season 132, and now I am going into my 4th season. I am more than happy to provide screenshot.

Providing a screenshot isn't really the point. The point is you're complaining about the number of times the woodwork is hit, claiming it to be unrealistic. Which would be fine if you weren't scoring a thoroughly unrealistic amount of goals each season. Why wasn't your complaint about that? You're clearly pining for the game to be as much like real life as possible, so why didn't you bring up the fact you're scoring so many goals season on season? To me, that should be looked at as more of a priority.

However, does anyone else have problems with their goalkeepers kicking?? He never seems to reach my Target Man with his kicks, ever though I have his distribute specifically to him, his kicking is 13 and I have a standard sized pitch..

GK distribution to specific defenders is bugged, so it is quite conceivable that distribution to players further up field is also problematical.

There does appear to be a bit of an issue with the distance keepers can kick, which may also contribute to what you see.

If you can upload a .pkm or two to the Bugs Forum, highlighting specific incidences where you feel the distribution was off, then the devs can take a look abd advise if they see it as an issue.

Well, as I've played 10 league games a few FA Cup games with the latest ME I feel qualified to provide some feedback.

PROS

1. Absolutely superb tactical representation of real-life football. Recently played an online game against a vastly superior side and managed to keep them to 1-0 until the last 15 minutes or so when we had to chase the game. We had to go for it, left space behind us and lost 4-1. I don't mind losing when I know why I've lost. Currently 5th in the Conference South with lowly Gosport (predicted 22nd), and I'm doing it by keeping things simple and ensuring that my defence is well-organised, compact and well-drilled. Conceded just 7 goals in 10 league games through this approach.

2. There is now a very discernible difference in the way teams play when different attacking roles for the forward players are selected. When a target man is utilised, teams do indeed try to hit him directly and bypass the midfield. When a DLF or False 9 is used, teams generally try to feed it into him. Great stuff. For the first time ever I've managed to get a big man/little man partnership working.

3. Wide play is excellent. In FM12 wingers were far too effective. In FM13 they were plain broken. Now they function as they would in real life when given their appropriate roles. Excellent work.

4. Ball physics are superb - the best of any FM game ever.

5. The variety of goals is outstanding. I have not seen two identical goals so far. Screamers, glancing headers, free-kicks, scrambled goals...they're all there.

6. General build up play is outstanding. Easily the most realistic football matches I've seen in any FM game. If the graphics and animations were much better it wouldn't be to far behind FIFA, which is a huge compliment to SI, especially when you consider the depth of the game.

7. Defending has been improved considerably. As my Gosport side lacks attacking flair I have had to build my side around being VERY solid and hard to beat, and it is working a treat.

CONS

1. Corners. Please fix outswinging corners. 75% of them end up in the side netting. You can get round this issue by having right-footed players take corners on the left and vice versa, but still...

2. I am seeing some crazy penalty shootout scores. In one game Sutton Utd won 14-13 on penalties, which is obviously not very realistic.

3. Occasionally a defender will play a silly back-pass to the keeper which is nowhere near and ends up going for a corner. This could be a reflection of my ultra-defensive approach to the game and it is certainly not a major issue, but it does irk somewhat.

4. Maybe the accuracy of crosses could be improved VERY slightly.

5. And that's about it!

Great game and excellent ME. Easily the most accurate representation of real-life football yet. Keep it up. Now that the horrendous unemployment bug has been resolved I can carry on with my save.

I see very few screamers in the game. Also the strikers tend to shoot directly at the goalkeeper. Could this be because I've not started a new game after 14.2.0/1?

Well, as I've played 10 league games a few FA Cup games with the latest ME I feel qualified to provide some feedback.

PROS

4. Ball physics are superb - the best of any FM game ever.

I just had to comment on this. The ball physics are anything but superb I'm afraid. Every pass which isn't along the ground (i.e. takes flight) skids off the surface like both the ball - and the pitch - are made of ice. I don't think I have ever seen a long pass played with backspin, giving the receiving player enough time to catch the ball should he be behind it when it lands. Every time it skids off and hits the advertisement hoardings like a pinball. I long for the days when I can see a 50 yard pass stick rather than fly off hopelessly. Even I can pass like that and I'm a 34 year old with a slight gut who is garbage, so to ask for it to be recognised as a skill in the game isn't asking much.

This is also something which is acknowledged by SI as being less than perfect. FM12 was the complete opposite, with the ball appearing to get stuck in glue at times. There needs to be some middle ground. To boot, the animation side of the ball physics is terrible at times. The passer of the ball appears to strike it with minimal force, yet on landing the ball skids off like Clarke Griswold's sled in National Lampoons Christmas Vacation. There needs to be some connection between the force of the pass (as animated by the players leg movement) and the ball reaction. At the moment there isn't much.

Sure about that? Last I heard PaulC claimed there were no concerns on the subject. That could have changed of course, just wondering.

I asked Kriss not long ago and he seemed to think that the ball physics are something which are acknowledged as being less than perfect, yet they are not on SI's radar so to speak as they have other, more pressing concerns right now. That was how I interpreted his reply anyway.

I do remember Paul C saying something about ball physics, but that was over two years ago, I think? What's your take on them? Have you ever seen a 50 yard pass with check on it so it sticks? When I say sticks, I mean you can see the ball bounce upright, not just a softer reaction to the ice like state it's usually in.

I do not understand why none of the SI is not able to give an estimated time of release patches. Did the game designers themselves do not know what poor quality product released that do not know how to fix it in a short time? I think I belong to clarify the players, not the continuous translation of something that is checked.

Cash taken for the game, but quickly fix errors it is not?

P. S. sorry for my english

I do not understand why none of the SI is not able to give an estimated time of release patches. Did the game designers themselves do not know what poor quality product released that do not know how to fix it in a short time? I think I belong to clarify the players, not the continuous translation of something that is checked.

Cash taken for the game, but quickly fix errors it is not?

P. S. sorry for my english

Really? The amount of feedback on these forums from the SI team is amazing. How many other games do you get the same level of feedback, from the developers? They're trying to fix problems as quickly as possible and have released a few patches already. Also, if you take the time to read this entire thread then you'll probably find the answer you're looking for.

Really? The amount of feedback on these forums from the SI team is amazing. How many other games do you get the same level of feedback, from the developers? They're trying to fix problems as quickly as possible and have released a few patches already. Also, if you take the time to read this entire thread then you'll probably find the answer you're looking for.

And who do you think the game has so many errors that the game is pointless? I think that they do not notice, but then the problem is your and your ophthalmologist.

Besides, show me the post where the answer indicating a date? I'm tired and probably not only me commenting in the style of "check" .. There was no issue ... 14.2 patch or give it improves mistakes and not ruinous game. ME, transfer system, the graphics worse than CM 98/99.

And who do you think the game has so many errors that the game is pointless? I think that they do not notice, but then the problem is your and your ophthalmologist.

Besides, show me the post where the answer indicating a date? I'm tired and probably not only me commenting in the style of "check" .. There was no issue ... 14.2 patch or give it improves mistakes and not ruinous game. ME, transfer system, the graphics worse than CM 98/99.

It seems like you don't like the in depth nature of the new game. A lot do, have you tried FM Classic? :confused:

Also, you won't get a 'date' for the next patch, you'll get a time frame. That's the way it will always be, can you imagine the response if they missed a specific date because they were trying to make last minute improvements?

There will never be dates given. To expect anything else shows a wild misunderstanding of how software development works, with a liberal sprinkling of entitlement added for good measure. It baffles me this viewpoint really, as when these dates inevitably slip, they'd come in for far more flak.

Bugs are being worked on, fixes will be released when ready. Simple as that. Wonder if your third post will be any better...

SI have repeatedly stated they don't give expected dates for updates because the pressure that would result in a delay. This is quite normal for many game developers. As for the game itself, I must disagree with you there, I think it is much improved on last year's iteration, let alone the CM days.

EDIT: Ninja'd

Generally really enjoying the game and the current match engine. I did have to read advice in the tactics forum to fix a few issues but in general I have enjoyed it. There are two things I would like to see one is relatively minor (I hope) and the other might be for a future version. The first one is I would like to see the offer to the same nation only option in offer to clubs for loan as well as for transfer. This is because if you want to get a player home grown in your nation you have to keep rejecting reams of foreign teams trying to sign him when all you want to do is loan him to a same nation club. The second is regarding tactics, it is often suggested in the tactics forum that you watch the match to see what is going wrong. However, unless you play on classic mode tactical familiarity prevents you from catching problems early until you have played the tactic in competitive games for a while possibly getting a beasting until you realise the problem. I would like to see better feedback on how your team will set up when attacking with the roles duties and strategies you have selected rather than just the defensive shape (as it is currently) or maybe some videos of expected playing sequences you would likely see with the tactic. This would also allow you to see what practical difference a change would make. For example, if I change from rigid to fluid, what difference would that make to shape and expected passages of play.Basically something to tell you if you are going to end up isolating your players not getting enough players into the box or so on as the descriptions can only tell you so much.

I'm more annoyed that his random posts detracted from my point of ball physics, to which I was hoping I would get a response from forameuss... :D

Ask and ye shall receive...missed the post in all the terribleness of other ones...

I asked Kriss not long ago and he seemed to think that the ball physics are something which are acknowledged as being less than perfect, yet they are not on SI's radar so to speak as they have other, more pressing concerns right now. That was how I interpreted his reply anyway.

I do remember Paul C saying something about ball physics, but that was over two years ago, I think? What's your take on them? Have you ever seen a 50 yard pass with check on it so it sticks? When I say sticks, I mean you can see the ball bounce upright, not just a softer reaction to the ice like state it's usually in.

I didn't see what Kriss said, but I do remember when the whole "Players-on-ice" argument came up towards the end of FM13s life, PaulC definitely claimed that he saw no problem with the movement of the ball. I remember there being much consternation. As for me, meh, I'm not so sure. I can't say I've ever had a situation where I've gone "that doesn't look right" but then I don't think I ever regularly watch matches very closely, as I'm often doing other things. I would say they're alright, maybe a little lower than "realistic" in my opinion.

Edited to add, you mention a 50 yard pass forward, and that it should bounce upright...am I understanding it right? Probably not, but I would say it shouldn't do anywhere near that. It should definitely be moving forward. Is it perhaps that spin isn't taken into account? A ball with top-spin would gather pace on a bounce, but the opposite should see it slow up. I don't think I've seen the ball slow down much on bouncing, granted.

Ask and ye shall receive...missed the post in all the terribleness of other ones...

I didn't see what Kriss said, but I do remember when the whole "Players-on-ice" argument came up towards the end of FM13s life, PaulC definitely claimed that he saw no problem with the movement of the ball. I remember there being much consternation. As for me, meh, I'm not so sure. I can't say I've ever had a situation where I've gone "that doesn't look right" but then I don't think I ever regularly watch matches very closely, as I'm often doing other things. I would say they're alright, maybe a little lower than "realistic" in my opinion.

Edited to add, you mention a 50 yard pass forward, and that it should bounce upright...am I understanding it right? Probably not, but I would say it shouldn't do anywhere near that. It should definitely be moving forward. Is it perhaps that spin isn't taken into account? A ball with top-spin would gather pace on a bounce, but the opposite should see it slow up. I don't think I've seen the ball slow down much on bouncing, granted.

I think we're both on the same page pretty much here. I don't think the ball movement is a million miles off, but as we agree, I never see the ball slow up instead of bouncing on (indeed bouncing upright was an exaggeration!). Friction should be considered!

I think my problem is I focus on it too much, I'm sure I'll get over it in time. Hopefully with the help of a slight improvement from SI...:)

Well if only you guys from SI would pay as much attention on making the game as you pay to delete posts, maybe we could have better game.

Considering it's the mods that handle that, who not only don't develop the game, but don't actually work for SI, you've had an absolute nightmare here. Unlucky.

I think we're both on the same page pretty much here. I don't think the ball movement is a million miles off, but as we agree, I never see the ball slow up instead of bouncing on (indeed bouncing upright was an exaggeration!). Friction should be considered!

I think my problem is I focus on it too much, I'm sure I'll get over it in time. Hopefully with the help of a slight improvement from SI...:)

Yeah, you do get used to it. I was one of the loudest critics of the ball physics and I still completely agree with you on all the points you raise (at least they've got rid of the FM13 sideways curl effect), but I hardly notice it anymore. That doesn't mean it should not be fixed though and I hope they've at least acknowledged the problem by now.

I know the reason Chelsea are doing long throws, but they sold the player that takes them, and they still do them, and they do not actually take them in real life.

and yes I string good results together but get a run of 1 or 2 goals conceded by randomness is frustrating because I am playing football manager and there is nothing i can actually do tactially to stop silly passbacks, balls bouncing off keepers, all of which have been noted by plenty of people.

the Ball physics are better then the previous games though, hard to pinpoint problems except for tackle angles.

oh and some of the things I listed go in my favour as well.

TO THE PEOPLE WHO (like me) ARE CONCEDING TOO MANY GOALS FROM CORNERS:

I googled a bit, I played a bit, and here's a possible "solution":

1. Be sure you have your fullbacks / wingbacks to mark the posts (especially the far post).

2. If you still have problems, add an extra man to mark the far post.

3. If you still have problems, be sure the players on the far post have decent defensive attributes (at least anticipation, maybe jumping and positioning).

4. If you still have problems, set the match preparation to "defending set pieces" whenever possible.

5. If you still have problems, wait for the next patch and hope for the best.

For all the AI is usually fair, sometimes things like this happen...

0pSDBmu.jpg

At home to the local rivals, dominating them in almost every stat. Lots of clear cut and half chances, beasting them on posession.

And yet, the score...

zGJDRdK.jpg

How is that even possible?

It's clearly tactical as the ME is the same for the opposition, but in games like that, I dunno what else to do. I could accept a 1-0 loss in circumstances like that, but a 5-0 home defeat when you've dominated the entire game is slightly odd. I lost 6-2 to Kilmarnock earlier in the season in similar circumstances. Funny thing is, this is the only save where things like this have happened.

Annoying.

EDIT - And I've just been sacked because of it :lol:

It didn't stop Jocky, and it shouldn't stop you, a'body kens that.

But like Milner says, sometimes the results just happen. If you're getting smashed right, left and center, it's probably a worry, but unfortunately, sometimes you just go out and everything goes wrong. Seems a bit harsh to sack after that though - Fenlon didn't get that treatment for losing the cup final 5-1...

Just accept you got screwed and move on.

Probably can't now, as I'll likely not get another job! Really annoyed at that, as the previous season, took them to 3rd and the Scottish Cup final. Brought through some cracking youth players and had the best first XI outwith the OF. It's just all fell apart this season, despite having what looks on paper to be a sound tactic and good players. Can't get my head around it. Ah well, plenty of other saves on the go...

For all the AI is usually fair, sometimes things like this happen...

0pSDBmu.jpg

At home to the local rivals, dominating them in almost every stat. Lots of clear cut and half chances, beasting them on posession.

And yet, the score...

zGJDRdK.jpg

How is that even possible?

It's clearly tactical as the ME is the same for the opposition, but in games like that, I dunno what else to do. I could accept a 1-0 loss in circumstances like that, but a 5-0 home defeat when you've dominated the entire game is slightly odd. I lost 6-2 to Kilmarnock earlier in the season in similar circumstances. Funny thing is, this is the only save where things like this have happened.

Annoying.

That is one of the few (probably the only) screenshots that I've seen on here where I'd say the stats really look odd. I could understand if you lost, but from the stats, I don't see how you could lose 0 - 5. How were the goals scored?

TO THE PEOPLE WHO (like me) ARE CONCEDING TOO MANY GOALS FROM CORNERS:

I googled a bit, I played a bit, and here's a possible "solution":

1. Be sure you have your fullbacks / wingbacks to mark the posts (especially the far post).

2. If you still have problems, add an extra man to mark the far post.

3. If you still have problems, be sure the players on the far post have decent defensive attributes (at least anticipation, maybe jumping and positioning).

4. If you still have problems, set the match preparation to "defending set pieces" whenever possible.

5. If you still have problems, wait for the next patch and hope for the best.

I pretty much just pray the AI doesn't hit it to the back post.

Probably can't now, as I'll likely not get another job! Really annoyed at that, as the previous season, took them to 3rd and the Scottish Cup final. Brought through some cracking youth players and had the best first XI outwith the OF. It's just all fell apart this season, despite having what looks on paper to be a sound tactic and good players. Can't get my head around it. Ah well, plenty of other saves on the go...

Ah sorry missed the edit!

I take it you were on a bad run anyway?

Harsh thing is tho, it really is just one of those games, ive had them myself, hammer a team, create good chances, and a combination of a keeper having a good game and my team having a terrible game and it ends up with you screaming at the laptop, but i just move on, there is almost nothing you can do in those situations, but they dont happen very often.

That is one of the few (probably the only) screenshots that I've seen on here where I'd say the stats really look odd. I could understand if you lost, but from the stats, I don't see how you could lose 0 - 5. How were the goals scored?

A 20-yard screamer, an own goal, a free kick from 40 yards that went straight through the keeper, a cross from the left where the striker was unmarked from four yards out, and another own goal. Bizarre.

Does that work?

Sometimes! I don't actually concede that many from corners anyway but as soon as it is hit to the back post I know it's getting headed back to the penalty spot.

Another thing (bit of a whinge here) - anyone else playing in the English lower leagues have trouble drawing unplayable/all grey teams in the cups? Every now and then I'll win comfortable, but I've also been on the end of some fearless beatings, where the football played against me is quite ridiculous (one touch passing, effortless one-twos, laser passing etc).

Reminds me of a few versions back when there was a bug with grey teams being overpowered.

and a combination of a keeper having a good game and my team having a terrible game and it ends up with you screaming at the laptop

My team didn't have a terrible game though, we were outplaying them all over the park, and had plenty good chances. That's the headscratcher. Thankfully this sort of thing doesn't happen often though, so I'll just put it down to a quirky game rather than anything sinister. Just annoyed at how the season has collapsed for seemingly no reason.

I've noticed that my set-piece marking at the far post is terrible. Sometimes I don't have anyone marking the guy at the far post! I've just left it on the default marking too. I'd better change that ASAP.

Another thing (bit of a whinge here) - anyone else playing in the English lower leagues have trouble drawing unplayable/all grey teams in the cups? Every now and then I'll win comfortable, but I've also been on the end of some fearless beatings, where the football played against me is quite ridiculous (one touch passing, effortless one-twos, laser passing etc).

Reminds me of a few versions back when there was a bug with grey teams being overpowered.

Yes, this still happens and it's infuriating. See if you check some of the attributes of the greyed out players in these teams, some of them are way more than they should be for the level they're at. I got to the stage where on every cup draw, I wanted a league team rather than a non-league one, when it should be the other way around.

Yeah, they're going to fix it so you can play on the PS4 and with the Oculus Rift. And the ME is going to 4D. A brave move.

:lol:

On a sidenote, I simply cannot wait to play Half Life 2 on the Oculus Rift, but that's perhaps for another thread.

I don't know why, but my game keeps changing the currency, after the season, although my settings are set to Danish kroners, my game after every season, changes the currency to English Pounds, but in the settings menu, it still say's Danish kroners. To change this back, i need to change to another currency, and then change it back to Danishkroners.

Anyone else experienced this?

I don't know why, but my game keeps changing the currency, after the season, although my settings are set to Danish kroners, my game after every season, changes the currency to English Pounds, but in the settings menu, it still say's Danish kroners. To change this back, i need to change to another currency, and then change it back to Danishkroners.

Anyone else experienced this?

Have you tried clearing the cache? It usually helps for weird situations like that.

Just as an addendum to my 'Hibs' save, I've been unemployed a week, haven't gone on holiday, and I've been offered three jobs now (France, N.Ireland, England), so that seems to be working better now. Think I'm going to accept the Wycombe job for a fresh challenge...

Just as an addendum to my 'Hibs' save, I've been unemployed a week, haven't gone on holiday, and I've been offered three jobs now (France, N.Ireland, England), so that seems to be working better now. Think I'm going to accept the Wycombe job for a fresh challenge...

What's your rep out of interest? Current one if you don't mind, and what did you start with? I've bitten the bullet and started unemployed as Sunday League, so interested to find out whether I have any chance of re-employment once I've left my massively low-rent first job in lovely Belarus.

Archived