Football Manager 2014 - Update 14.2.2 - Feedback Thread

Worst case I've ever had of corner goals.

All 6 of Blackburn's goals come from corners, 2 own goals, two tap ins from Rhodes after a corner fell in the 6 yard area, and two goals from centre backs.

Absolute joke.

And this isn't game breaking?

That's a pretty extreme example though, I'd be surprised if that ever happened again in your entire save. To put some perspective on it, you say Blackburn scored six goals from a corner in that one game. My team have scored nine goals from corners ALL season, and there's only three games left. The team with the most in the league have twelve. I genuinely never see half the stuff people post on here. Think I've saw four keeper errors in two seasons on this save, and own goals are at a normal level too.

And that's the problem SI have. People complain that the testers don't do their jobs properly, but what if they, like me, don't see this? There's others on this thread alone that also don't see these issues to anywhere near the same extent as what's made out. Which is why it's important for users to upload .pkms, I'd think.

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How many a season? how many in real life? is it too many goals? or too many corners in general? If too many goals, where are they being scored? if too many corners, how are they being conceded? That's just a few of the things that need to be answered, and since tehre are so many varying numbers, that's why you need different saves and pkms from different people.

Sorry, but this is exactly what a tester is supposed to do, not a customer. A customer may address an issue, if this is backed up by several other users, maybe it's worth a deep look into an whole season. You can't expect people to take a note of every action in every match played. I'm sorry, I uploaded many pkms so far since FM12, because I wanted to help. But this is not how things are supposed to work in my opinion.

Sorry, but this is exactly what a tester is supposed to do, not a customer. A customer may address an issue, if this is backed up by several other users, maybe it's worth a deep look into an whole season. You can't expect people to take a note of every action in every match played. I'm sorry, I uploaded many pkms so far since FM12, because I wanted to help. But this is not how things are supposed to work in my opinion.

It's a hypothetical point about simply saying there is a vast number of corners. And its always good to see what the end user is seeing in comparison to the testers

I just found a bug that remember being annoyed by in FM07 and yes I logged it as a bug.

I give two substitute appearances to a young player before sending him out on loan. When he returns I sub him on for the last few minutes of a game.

Now looking at his Statistics appearances it says one substitute appearance.

I don't have a save from after he returned but before i played him again but this should be easy to recreate.

Testers only test. They dont get any saying in fixing or coding or the priority of what gets fixed.

And in terms of what people want, you can only really speak for yourself, as can I, and upto SI to balance demands.

Saying that, the speed at which the wishlist thread grows every year very much says otherwise.

Different teams work on different things, the ME team only work on the ME for example, so what else happens outside that isn't for them

My apologies, what I meant was that testers would get more time to test and raise awareness of bugs.

I understand from a business point of view that adding new features seems more appealing to new customers than just a more polished game but we're going to be facing these same issues every release. I cant think ofany other business that releases a product for customers then those same customers have to wait 4-6 months for a more polished version. It's shocking.

FM12's ME was the best to date so it confuses me why they would try to overhaul something in my opinion wasn't broken. We have now been left with what can only been described as a shamble.

FM12's ME was the best to date so it confuses me why they would try to overhaul something in my opinion wasn't broken. We have now been left with what can only been described as a shamble.

Because the FM12 ME was not the "Best", it was the easiest. It was unrealistic in that players literally drifted through the opposition. That is why they changed it, and it's for the better. How anyone can think that it was better back then for anything other than it was highly exploitable is beyond me.

My apologies, what I meant was that testers would get more time to test and raise awareness of bugs.

I understand from a business point of view that adding new features seems more appealing to new customers than just a more polished game but we're going to be facing these same issues every release. I cant think ofany other business that releases a product for customers then those same customers have to wait 4-6 months for a more polished version. It's shocking.

No need to apologise. With software there is a timescale, and there are several certainties: You can't fix all the bugs, and you wont't see all the bugs, and you will create a new bug in future; the best you can do is minimise them and their impacts. Software is perpertually in development and support, and updates.

Although I'd disagree with FM12, doesn't come close. Cant argue about if you enjoyed it more as that is subjective, but it is a lot more limited compared to FM14. In the same way you loved the FM12 engine, I wouldnt be playing if it was more of the same, and suspect we're not the only ones who will have different views on different aspects either.

SI need to work on corner. The most ridiculous thing in most people's screenshot in many forums is the number of corners in a single game. Racking up to double digits almost game after game for both sides.

Fix this and it will be a great game for me.

The thing with the corners is I would legit rather concede the chance of an opposition forward being clean through on goal than I would a corner because they just seem less likely to score what should be the clearer chance.

I've got to a point where I'm not really sure what I can do- the game literally won't let me play it by offering me a job. To quote myself in another thread:

Started at League One Gillingham with Automatic reputation. Keeping them just outside the relegation spots, meeting the preseason agreement, but still given an ultimatum of ten points from the next five games shortly before Christmas. Resigned on 29/12/13 after picking up 1 point from the first three of those five games.

Unemployed for a brief period (holiday, apply for any), until taking over Skrill North side Hednesford in February. When I took over, they sat bottom of the division, a long way adrift. On a blazing run of form, I manage to get them up to third-bottom by the end of the season- the board are "pleased", but as they're still relegated from the lowest active tier, I'm sacked automatically.

Back on holiday with "apply for any" since then, but now it's coming up to a year without a single interview, so I'm thinking that's probably it.

A year of unemployment has now passed. If the game won't offer me a job- where by all accounts in the first job I was meeting season start expectations, and in the second job I came very close to rescuing a side that had looked hopelessly bottom when I took over- I'm not really sure what else I can do besides start a new game.

Worst case I've ever had of corner goals.

All 6 of Blackburn's goals come from corners, 2 own goals, two tap ins from Rhodes after a corner fell in the 6 yard area, and two goals from centre backs.

11afrkp.png

Absolute joke.

And this isn't game breaking?

...it's your tactic...:)

That's a pretty extreme example though, I'd be surprised if that ever happened again in your entire save. To put some perspective on it, you say Blackburn scored six goals from a corner in that one game. My team have scored nine goals from corners ALL season, and there's only three games left. The team with the most in the league have twelve. I genuinely never see half the stuff people post on here. Think I've saw four keeper errors in two seasons on this save, and own goals are at a normal level too. And that's the problem SI have. People complain that the testers don't do their jobs properly, but what if they, like me, don't see this? There's others on this thread alone that also don't see these issues to anywhere near the same extent as what's made out. Which is why it's important for users to upload .pkms, I'd think.
I've had a few instances of 3-4 goals scored against me from corners, I think one of the issues with stats is that even if a goal comes from a corner, but it's a pinball scramble, the stats don't capture it as a goal.Would be good to get the definition of how a corner goal is classified

Corners and set pieces in general are my only major issue with the ME at the moment.

One season I conceded 53 goals in 46 games.

20 were from corners, 5 penalties, 5 direct free kicks and 11 indirect free-kicks.

Which means I only conceded 12 goals in open play.

The tactical options open To you are so limited (go back, man mark, mark tall etc) the only way to combat this is to have a team of giants.

It needs toning down big time.

I'm still playing 14.1.4, since on the basis of the past year' experience i put steam offline...before updating i prefer to read through the comments of other users, sometimes an update is a step backward...and even if the comments are various, i understand that 3 big issues arose with the update: bad gk, goals from corners and own goals...well, just to provide a comparative view, in 14.1.4 i'm not experiencing such issues at all...of course there's still the high number of posts, but in general the 14.1.4 ME is fine, without any breaking flaws even if it could be improved in the build up play (few through balls, defenders sometimes still standing, etc.)...i'm looking for the next update, because in my opinion FM14 is a great game and needs just finte tuning in the ME to be the best for years...hope they let us play a full game before we start the countdown for FM15...

Corners and set pieces in general are my only major issue with the ME at the moment.

20 were from corners, 5 penalties, 5 direct free kicks and 11 indirect free-kicks.

The tactical options open To you are so limited (go back, man mark, mark tall etc) the only way to combat this is to have a team of giants.

This is what I'm finding, the amount of goals against me are from set pieces, yet there is no way I can counter-act it tactically with the options available.

There's a thread on here about how "back post" corners are a bug and how it creates a chance the majority of the time.

Its been reported by many, many people.

There is undoubtably a problem here.

So, fix it.

It probably has been posted already, but two issues with the ME keep lingering.

1. More corners than not end up directly behind goal. This is true both for my teams and any AI opponents.

2. Throw-ins can still be wildly inaccurate and go straight to the opposition. This happens to AI opponents as well and is particularly annoying since it never happens in real life (unless you try to go for a goal scoring chance). But a throw-in to the opposing full back in the middle of the pitch, never.

I am very dissappointed with this game. I have just finished playing my first season and here are my major gripes that if not corrected when I finish my second season will mean me going back to FM2013:

Passing - I have seen so many passes intercepted due do there not being enough power on the pass

Shots from acute angles going in of the keeper

Defenders and Midfielders getting constantly caught with the ball and giving away possession

I cannot keep a clean sheet and my forwards cannot score

The number of shots against me is phenomenal and the number of shots for me is miserable

The tactical options have taken a step back - FM2013 tactics were excellent

I have adjusted my tactics on a number of occassions and nothing helps. I have just finished my first season as Liverpool and lost the last ten games in a row because of the above. Most of those games have been against bottom half teams and I have ended up being spanked by them.

I will try one more season and see how I get on.

Also, does anyone find that the "bigger" teams are underperforming?

First season, Man City, Chelsea and Arsenal finished in the bottom half of the Premiership, with the top 4 consisting of Stoke, Southampton, Newcastle and Man United (winners).

But I found that the second season, the Champions League was littered with average teams from across Europe because the bigger teams finished in the EL spots or even lower.

When I looked into it, I found that these teams were playing strange players, like Arsenal dropping the number one keeper for the youth team keeper etc. Also, they seem obsessed with buying young players with potential rather than strengthening their teams properly. Odd decisions.

First season, Man City, Chelsea and Arsenal finished in the bottom half of the Premiership, with the top 4 consisting of Stoke, Southampton, Newcastle and Man United (winners).

But I found that the second season, the Champions League was littered with average teams from across Europe because the bigger teams finished in the EL spots or even lower.

When I looked into it, I found that these teams were playing strange players, like Arsenal dropping the number one keeper for the youth team keeper etc. Also, they seem obsessed with buying young players with potential rather than strengthening their teams properly. Odd decisions.

Might be down to manager tendencies?

On mine Stoke, Southampton and Newcastle always overperform. United, Chelsea and Arsenal are as normal. City are awful for whatever reason.

I am very dissappointed with this game. I have just finished playing my first season and here are my major gripes that if not corrected when I finish my second season will mean me going back to FM2013:

Passing - I have seen so many passes intercepted due do there not being enough power on the pass

Shots from acute angles going in of the keeper

Defenders and Midfielders getting constantly caught with the ball and giving away possession

I cannot keep a clean sheet and my forwards cannot score

The number of shots against me is phenomenal and the number of shots for me is miserable

The tactical options have taken a step back - FM2013 tactics were excellent

I have adjusted my tactics on a number of occassions and nothing helps. I have just finished my first season as Liverpool and lost the last ten games in a row because of the above. Most of those games have been against bottom half teams and I have ended up being spanked by them.

I will try one more season and see how I get on.

A fair bit of that is tactical with an element of player attributes. Rather than blaming the ME you would probably benefit from reading or starting a thread in the tactics forum.

SI need to work on corner. The most ridiculous thing in most people's screenshot in many forums is the number of corners in a single game. Racking up to double digits almost game after game for both sides.

Fix this and it will be a great game for me.

The problem is not everybody is experiencing that issue.

I'm sure I've done this before but here are the number of corners for & against my team in the 19 league games I've played this season:

Game   For    Against
1       5        9
2       5        0
3       5        7
4       9        3
5       6        6
6       6        8
7       6        9
8       6        3
9       5        2
10      4       13
11      5        9
12      8        7
13     12        8
14      7        2
15      7        8
16     12        9
17      6        7
18      1        6
19      4        5

So in 19 matches so far this season I've only had more than 10 corners twice and the opposition once.

Thats 119 corners for me over 19 games which is 6.26 per game on average whereas the opposition have had 121 over the 19 matches (6.37 per game).

So is it a bug? or are you as the user doing something which causes the issue?

Looking at my goals, I can't do 19 leagues games so the stats are for 20 league games (19 this season + the last one from last season).

Goals scored: 35

Corners: 8

FKs: 0

Pens: 1

Leaving 26 goals scored from open play.

Goals conceded: 36

Corners: 4

FKs: 1

Pens: 3

Leaving 28 conceded from open play.

A lot of people play the game with a very attacking mentality leading to an unrealistic amount of shots per game, we've all seen numerous examples of players struggling despite having an insane amount of shots.

Of course, with such a high shot count, you're by design going to have more corners, which subsequently can lead to more corner goals. If your team are blasting long shots or rushed shots all over the place, it's perhaps understandable how a larger percentage of the goals you score will come from set pieces.

That's one possible explanation anyway.

hummels and thiago silva. they run towards the forwards and just give them the ball. once a game. sometimes 2-5 per game. tried to start a new game with southampton. same there with lovren and balanta. must be a bugg. balanta is one of the best defender in the world. until the new update.

Anyone else seeing world class defenders passing to AI forwards up to five times a game?

goalkeepers settings are play short pass to defenders. as it was before the update. i can change to none. But i am a top team. every player in the world can do a pass. Bad players make maby 5-10 big mistakes in a career. not 1 every game. And not top players

The last update didn't have any ME fixes

hummels and thiago silva. they run towards the forwards and just give them the ball. once a game. sometimes 2-5 per game. tried to start a new game with southampton. same there with lovren and balanta. must be a bugg. balanta is one of the best defender in the world. until the new update.
goalkeepers settings are play short pass to defenders. as it was before the update. i can change to none. But i am a top team. every player in the world can do a pass. Bad players make maby 5-10 big mistakes in a career. not 1 every game. And not top players

So now misplacing a pass = big career mistake?

found that really hard to belive. won three season in a row. played a half season. didnt loose a game. updated. same tactic. same players. but my team start to play real bad. made mistakes all the time. i had the same problem on the first match engine. Bet its the same now. could be the 14.2 patch also. 2 things i notest also is that the players loose moral and condition. maby thats a problem, since they not play good. but the child mistakes is still there anyway

I was under the impression that as a workaround for the unemployment bug, you had to holiday and apply for any jobs?

Well, after a year of that and getting nowhere, I've just come off holiday, applied for the first vacant job (getting "laughed off" in the process)... and then got an interview for them. Which was successful.

So, yeah, something's still not right there.

I was under the impression that as a workaround for the unemployment bug, you had to holiday and apply for any jobs?

Well, after a year of that and getting nowhere, I've just come off holiday, applied for the first vacant job (getting "laughed off" in the process)... and then got an interview for them. Which was successful.

So, yeah, something's still not right there.

I think you only have to holiday, if you didn't start a new game after the patch.

Also, I think i've come to the conclusion that there's not much wrong with the ME. A lot to be improved upon, yes. Such as defending. However, I feel that a lot of people reporting bugs about the ME are nothing more than animation glitches, that would happen anyway if fixed, yet just look a tad more realistic.

I think it has to do with the way the ME rewards small teams defending against bigger teams.

Seems like they just sit down and out of nothing they score a marvellous counter, while the bigger team keeps hitting their defensive wall without success.

In my save I manage a medium to small team and whenever I hit 2 or 3 straight good results and next match face an inferior team (even one 2 divisions below) I usually lose.

Keep knocking their defense knowing the inevitable will come sooner or later, and that is one lethal counter.

My only hope is score first on some corner, but sadly I lost most of those matches.

Guess the AI big teams are also suffering of this, and I personally think this issue cant be hotfixed cause it involves re-balancing the core ME in depth.

And I dont really feel like playing defensive against poor teams as a workaround just for that. I hardly believe 11 players like me could maintain a zero against a serious team as hard as we try.

Archived