Football Manager 2014 - Update 14.2.2 - Feedback Thread

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You've actually been part of the overall testing since you've played the game. The last few years have not been any worse than previous to that, infact release this year was smoother than its been previously. Remember, the BETA was well received when it came out, its subsequent patches that have gotten people moaning.

Thats really no excuse that is has been like this for years, it really only making me question it more both from a business viewpoint and from a customers viewpoint, in almost any other business this wouldent be allowed to go on like this, what makes us as customers different when it comes to computergames in general and FM in particular? I bought the game after the beta then i should excpect a product where in this case a fottballgame looks and feels like a fotballgame, you think not? but i rampling and straying, sorry about that.

You've actually been part of the overall testing since you've played the game. The last few years have not been any worse than previous to that, infact release this year was smoother than its been previously. Remember, the BETA was well received when it came out, its subsequent patches that have gotten people moaning.

This is so true. Anyone reading this that is not happy this year then don't be angry or surprised that the same will happen in FM15.

Buy the game in March if it's that much a problem to you? It's cheaper then and as polished as it's going to get. I understand fully the frustrations and on the flipside support here. I've been vehemently in both camps over the years, but you make the choice to buy on release then you should expect some growing pains. Massive fan, love the current game, but I won't get involved in uploading PKM's etc. Selfish of me maybe, but I'm not a free for hire tester.

I am an addict though, I can't wait until March. But it's the informed choice if you want to buy the finished article. Is that good? Not really ideal is it but what can you do? :) That's the computer games industry for better or worse. Like it or lump it.

Besides for all it's little quirks I think FM14 is by and far the best yet. I'm loving it and have since Oct/Nov or whenever it was released.

Thats really no excuse that is has been like this for years, it really only making me question it more both from a business viewpoint and from a customers viewpoint, in almost any other business this wouldent be allowed to go on like this, what makes us as customers different when it comes to computergames in general and FM in particular? I bought the game after the beta then i should excpect a product where in this case a fottballgame looks and feels like a fotballgame, you think not? but i rampling and straying, sorry about that.

FM is not unique in anyway. All games now a days come out in some stage where they will need updating. Some of them are even released unplayable, ie Sim City. FM is also unique in that you can compare what you watch on the screen to what you watch in reality, no other game has that to contend with. So ME issues seem more pronounced because we can watch football on the TV and make the comparison. The reality is, its not worse than any other game out there. Extending cycles wont change the nature of FM, it will just change the length of time between new versions, and quite possibly be the end of new versions.

I bought the game the day the BETA came out, ive played the same save since, and ive logged a huge number of hours, so im not in the unhappy camp incase you couldnt tell. :)

Five OGs in pre-season???

I don't think I've seen five OGs in the three seasons I've played in my current save.

That was just one game against Cowdenbeath. I test if a patch has fixed the issue by just starting a match and waiting for the first backpass, if it goes in then I just quit and wait for the next patch.

Also, I apologise for the tone of my previous post. I'd just checked it and was a little annoyed it was still in. I appreciate it's difficult to fix and that many factors are involved with it.

That was just one game against Cowdenbeath. I test if a patch has fixed the issue by just starting a match and waiting for the first backpass, if it goes in then I just quit and wait for the next patch.

I just reiterate this:

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/378442-Football-Manager-2014-Update-14.2.2-Feedback-Thread?p=9364779&viewfull=1#post9364779

Some people see loads of OGs, some see very few.

If it is an issue for you and you have .pkms to support your observations, then you can help shape the development of the game by posting in the Bugs Forum - the choice is yours.

10 seasons in, still haven't beat one of the underdogs in a decisive fashion,ever, sometimes losing to every single one of them while beating 3-0 and 4-0 the big teams of my division. And there hasn't been a single season where very low division clubs haven't reached very high cup stages.

Seriously, the whole "underdog upset" issue is extremely overtuned. Do something about it. Sure, upsets are part of football, but they are supposed to be special. Right now they seem to be what's expected from a smaller team to do when playing a bigger one.

10 seasons in, still haven't beat one of the underdogs in a decisive fashion,ever, sometimes losing to every single one of them while beating 3-0 and 4-0 the big teams of my division. And there hasn't been a single season where very low division clubs haven't reached very high cup stages.

Seriously, the whole "underdog upset" issue is extremely overtuned. Do something about it. Sure, upsets are part of football, but they are supposed to be special. Right now they seem to be what's expected from a smaller team to do when playing a bigger one.

So basically what you are saying is that you have no problem beating teams who play more open and leave space for you to exploit at the back but you have trouble beating teams who sit back and soak up pressure not leaving you space to work in.

Now what part of that is FMs fault and which part is down to you?

This person says the opposite, that its too easy to beat the smaller teams,

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/382111-CCC-don-t-matter-this-year-only-Shots-on-Target?p=9365328&viewfull=1#post9365328

Just as I think my game is, at last, going fine the opposition aimless;y hoof over the ball over the top. My goalkeeper, under no pressure, drops the ball and then stands there and watches as the striker runs in from 15 yards way and then continues to stand there as the striker jogs past him with the ball and scores. What a joke.

Just as I think my game is, at last, going fine the opposition aimless;y hoof over the ball over the top. My goalkeeper, under no pressure, drops the ball and then stands there and watches as the striker runs in from 15 yards way and then continues to stand there as the striker jogs past him with the ball and scores. What a joke.

So raise it as a bug then, as these are the ones that are indisputably bugs in the ME. Even if it's been reported before, SI will be happy for another example.

As tiresome as it is for people seeing me ask for .pkm's to be uploaded, please upload this to the Bugs Forum.

I've never seen one of these in my saves, so it may not be a common bug. It is these infrequent bugs which really need to be raised as SI will find it hard to replicate rare bugs.

Is there any chance that comments could be moderated in a balanced manner, please? It appears that anyone that is in anyway unhappy with the product is rightly told not to make negative and flippant/aggressive comments in this thread (or any thread for that matter), whilst the same keyboard bandits continually make sniping statements with just as little evidence to back themselves up, and with almost scriptural fundamentalist myopia.

It is easy to spot them, they tend to be the ones that aren't mods but have an enormous amount of posts replying to things that are nothing to do with them in the hope of smiting any negative view of the game. The replies tend to be along the lines of 'don't buy it then', or 'you are wrong, so wrong in your wrongness it is wrongville', or utterly unhelpful remarks with the tone of 'Well, that doesn't happen to me so it can't be the case'.

Is it any wonder people get annoyed on here when frustrated with elements of the game when this level of evangelical devotion is not moderated with the same amount of fervour....

Anyway, great game, addictive as hell but I do feel the ME has suffered since FML was closed down- the ME was tested to hell in hundreds of thousands of games by addicted managers on FML before being produced by SI for the Xmas release. Getting the final patch some time in Feb/March (5/6 months after release, and 6 months before the next release) affecting all saves and hours of tactics already formulated/adapted/adopted is a tough thing to be balanced over.

I know some may like the challenge of this, and suggest other games have major patches after each release, but we post here for FM2014 issues/concerns/highlights, not other games. Anyway, for all those saying it isn't an issue, it clearly is as many post here advising as such, and SI agree the ME will have a major patch soon.

As tiresome as it is for people seeing me ask for .pkm's to be uploaded, please upload this to the Bugs Forum.

I've never seen one of these in my saves, so it may not be a common bug. It is these infrequent bugs which really need to be raised as SI will find it hard to replicate rare bugs.

I have uploaded (I was planning to before your post anyway). Please let me have my moan, I've just gone from comfortably winning 3-1 to drawing 3-3 because of defensive errors. :(

No, he isn't.

He is saying that when you are beating smaller teams, the game seems like their players are practically just standing there. Something that is true. But that is the case for almost everyone, the games where both teams are putting up a fight are very rare. Sometimes it's so easy to tell that the ME has calculated that the outcome is a loss actually. The amount of passiveness from the losing team is mind boggling.

Reading comprehension problems? Or just paraphrasing what other say in order to fit your own arguement?

I have just gotten to play my first 15 games in FM14 and was amazed that the match engine looked so much more like one of the early FM13 builds, with load of defender mistakes, corners being scored for fun on both sides and holy cow did I get a lot of penalties. The first 10 league games I got 7 penalties, 0 penalties in 3 CL games and 1 penalty in 2 Carling Cup games. For now I'll be back to FM13 and wait for patch 14.3.X or whenever the majority of those bugs are fixed.

What I just wanted to know is this, why didn't you guys build on the latest FM13 build and kept improving on what I thought was a quite nice ME after the last ME patch for FM13? It seems like you again have started to rebuild the ME and where back to where you already had been at the start of FM13.

I have uploaded (I was planning to before your post anyway). Please let me have my moan, I've just gone from comfortably winning 3-1 to drawing 3-3 because of defensive errors. :(

Moan away, it can be good to let it all out (it's even better when you accompany it with a .pkm - thanks for the upload!)

This is what this thread needs to be: feedback about the state of the game, including the highlighting of issues that help or hinder your enjoyment, a grumble about why issues are an issue for you, and it supported appropriately in the Bugs Forum.

There are lots of really good posters in here who are doing an excellent job of doing just that, and it is people who use the forums in this manner who help to improve the game.

Happy weekend everyone, it's Friday at last :thup:

I have just gotten to play my first 15 games in FM14 and was amazed that the match engine looked so much more like one of the early FM13 builds, with load of defender mistakes, corners being scored for fun on both sides and holy cow did I get a lot of penalties. The first 10 league games I got 7 penalties, 0 penalties in 3 CL games and 1 penalty in 2 Carling Cup games. For now I'll be back to FM13 and wait for patch 14.3.X or whenever the majority of those bugs are fixed.

What I just wanted to know is this, why didn't you guys build on the latest FM13 build and kept improving on what I thought was a quite nice ME after the last ME patch for FM13? It seems like you again have started to rebuild the ME and where back to where you already had been at the start of FM13.

Progress comes at a price sadly...

There are 100's if not 1000's of new animations and a ton of new code in the newest game, which meant the ME had to be rebuild from basically the ground up.. Legacy code can only be stretched so far and if anything is to be improved further, a rebuild was going to happen eventually.

Is there any chance that comments could be moderated in a balanced manner, please? It appears that anyone that is in anyway unhappy with the product is rightly told not to make negative and flippant/aggressive comments in this thread (or any thread for that matter), whilst the same keyboard bandits continually make sniping statements with just as little evidence to back themselves up, and with almost scriptural fundamentalist myopia.

It is easy to spot them, they tend to be the ones that aren't mods but have an enormous amount of posts replying to things that are nothing to do with them in the hope of smiting any negative view of the game. The replies tend to be along the lines of 'don't buy it then', or 'you are wrong, so wrong in your wrongness it is wrongville', or utterly unhelpful remarks with the tone of 'Well, that doesn't happen to me so it can't be the case'.

Is it any wonder people get annoyed on here when frustrated with elements of the game when this level of evangelical devotion is not moderated with the same amount of fervour....

Anyway, great game, addictive as hell but I do feel the ME has suffered since FML was closed down- the ME was tested to hell in hundreds of thousands of games by addicted managers on FML before being produced by SI for the Xmas release. Getting the final patch some time in Feb/March (5/6 months after release, and 6 months before the next release) affecting all saves and hours of tactics already formulated/adapted/adopted is a tough thing to be balanced over.

I know some may like the challenge of this, and suggest other games have major patches after each release, but we post here for FM2014 issues/concerns/highlights, not other games. Anyway, for all those saying it isn't an issue, it clearly is as many post here advising as such, and SI agree the ME will have a major patch soon.

What would be easier is if everyone simply stuck to the things outlined in the opening post, concentrated on what was right or wrong in their own game, and posted good evidence and feeback. That is really all this thread needs, and most people do this, which is great. Different people will see different things.

What is this about people seeing corners scored for fun all the time?!

I see the AI score all corners on me all the time but me? I think I score a corner once every 20 games maybe. When it's my corner the AI seems to just have a sea of giants in the box who *ALWAYS* win the header. The times I do score from a corner is usually the AI who wins the header but one of my players lurking outside the box smacks it in.

Can I remind people once again... that there is a huge gaping difference between negative feedback, which is perfectly acceptable as long as it's constructive and the posts which are indeed being deleted, which are clearly not constructive..

By all means tell us you are unhappy with the game, but tell us why.. and I mean in a clear and concise manner that isn't just 'this sucks.. and that sucks'

Please see the difference before I have a nervous breakdown..

It seems my wide players seem to take the Antonio Valencia approach to wingplay. Get past your man, then just delay as much as possible before either being tackled or blasting the ball straight into a defender. Is there an issue with crossing decision making in the game?

It seems my wide players seem to take the Antonio Valencia approach to wingplay. Get past your man, then just delay as much as possible before either being tackled or blasting the ball straight into a defender. Is there an issue with crossing decision making in the game?

There can be tactical issues here, but it is also an area where improvements are being made ahead of the next update.

I continue to see a difference between "The Player" and "AI" in terms of Match Engine. I hardly can start my PC, so im certainly not a genius and i know nothing in programming, but i used to think that ME act with the players on the pitch regardless if it's "your mens" or the opponents. But i have to say that some mistakes, like defenders that simply look the opponent sliding through without feeling the need to tackle - as well as wingers that never try to dialogue with the CF - in the IA teams doesn't happen. Im trying all day long to understand "if it's me or it's ME" and still i don't know.

Also, for the records, at least in my saves there are some results (not of my team) incredibly surprising that kill the realism like nothing before: in my last 3 games the World Cup 2014 was won by Senegal, Belgium and Russia. Costa Rica also was a finalist. Brazil, on 3 occasion, reached once the quarter-finals.

In Serie A Sampdoria goes in Champions League (while in reality it's struggling to avoid relegation) and once a team Roma and Lazio get relegated.

I hate people saying "it's unrealistic", because it's a game ecc ecc, but i still think that these results got to be the consequence of years of working - good or bad the work is. But the first year...

I think that this is a MAJOR issue with the game.

Just bought the game after Christmas as usual, it's usually playable by this point. Just a few things I've noticed, I haven't really read the thread in great detail.

Some of the ME anomalies i'm noticing.

1) Easy chances squandered. My team misses some unbelievable guilt edged chances game after game.

2) Late goals. I've switched to defensive strategies and my team are usually quite motivated, but still tend to concede a lot of last minute goals, result defining or not.

3) Near post goals. Around 50% of the goals I concede from open play are near post. Keepers barely move.

4) Corner goals. I saw this mentioned above so no need to comment further.

5) Injuries. Getting a lot of these, not sure if it's that my tactic demanding too much though.

6) Yellow Cards. Could be the tactic also.

I quite like the game other than the mentioned problems. I do think once the final patch is out this game will be brilliant.

There can be tactical issues here, but it is also an area where improvements are being made ahead of the next update.

One of my major problems with the game are the wingers. Really, i can't understand why! There is a way to make them go straight to the goal? I try "Inside Forward" but i have to say that nothing came... :(

One of my major problems with the game are the wingers. Really, i can't understand why! There is a way to make them go straight to the goal? I try "Inside Forward" but i have to say that nothing came... :(

Give it a bit of time, perhaps set them to "Narrower". I've played a few games with a formation with inside forwards (one Support, one Attack) and, as long as they get the ball, they do run through on goal quite a bit. Now the issue is actually getting past the miraculous recovering tackles. Just played an away match against Wolves and my inside forwards went through on goal about 5 times in the first half and every time the run was met with a fantastic recovering sliding tackle from behind. Then my keeper made two strange errors in the second half that shouldn't really be happening (both reported for investigation, don't worry mods!) and a narrow 1-0 win for Wolves was made to look like a much more convincing 3-0 win. I wasn't expecting much from the game anyway, my team is woefully inferior to Wolves and my team were knackered by about the hour mark (I also admit I may have made one or two tactical errors in the 2nd half. Oops).

Interesting to see how other people are struggling and issues great.

I am a luttle baffled though as I read through how SI let the mods talk to paying customers with such contempt and sarcasim, totally out of order.

Yes you will have idoits, but they are dealing your customers, be interested to know SI why you think this is acceptable

Give it a bit of time, perhaps set them to "Narrower". I've played a few games with a formation with inside forwards (one Support, one Attack) and, as long as they get the ball, they do run through on goal quite a bit. Now the issue is actually getting past the miraculous recovering tackles. Just played an away match against Wolves and my inside forwards went through on goal about 5 times in the first half and every time the run was met with a fantastic recovering sliding tackle from behind. Then my keeper made two strange errors in the second half that shouldn't really be happening (both reported for investigation, don't worry mods!) and a narrow 1-0 win for Wolves was made to look like a much more convincing 3-0 win. I wasn't expecting much from the game anyway, my team is woefully inferior to Wolves and my team were knackered by about the hour mark (I also admit I may have made one or two tactical errors in the 2nd half. Oops).

Fact is the the only two times i won a title was without wingers, two straight 4-3-3 that made me unrealistic winning results, so unrealistic that i quit the games: i remember a match at Juventus Stadium, i was Fiorentina. One man and two goals down, and at full time result was 2 - 2.

The same again in my last match after the post of Herringbone: i tried to play without wings a match that i repeat to understand my errors and then i got a brilliant win.

In my first post i was wrong and i admit it: wingers try to cut inside, but if they do it goes nothing. Again, if i set like pure wingers they exitate to cross the ball, dropping it to some midfielder outside the box that try to shoot. What i don't understand is if ME it's the same for all the 22 mens on the pitch, because opponents play very well these situations.

I've tried to find a post (very good one) from earlier on ITT, but I can't find. Anyways, it deals with the dynamics of the match engine, in general.

In my most recent game with Padova I'm up 5-1 against Bari, at home. You basically never see (in a league match) that the AI try to consolidate, to limit the defeat like you see in real life. Like "oh noes, this is getting embarrasing, let's try and tighten it up so that we don't lose in the double digits". I took a screenie of my game, just to try to illustrate a point or see if anybody else agrees with this. In FM they just keep on attacking to try to get that equalizer, no matter what the score.

tp81.png

This is obviously not just related to the latest patch, or even just FM14. It could even be made a separate post about it, but I'll just add on here. In my humble opinion this is very much a topic that needs debating, it's meta game stuff people.

I've tried to find a post (very good one) from earlier on ITT, but I can't find. Anyways, it deals with the dynamics of the match engine, in general.

In my most recent game with Padova I'm up 5-1 against Bari, at home. You basically never see (in a league match) that the AI try to consolidate, to limit the defeat like you see in real life. Like "oh noes, this is getting embarrasing, let's try and tighten it up so that we don't lose in the double digits". I took a screenie of my game, just to try to illustrate a point or see if anybody else agrees with this. In FM they just keep on attacking to try to get that equalizer, no matter what the score.

tp81.png

This is obviously not just related to the latest patch, or even just FM14. It could even be made a separate post about it, but I'll just add on here. In my humble opinion this is very much a topic that needs debating, it's meta game stuff people.

And yes, this happens also in real life, but in this game happens way too often!

Just bought the game after Christmas as usual, it's usually playable by this point. Just a few things I've noticed, I haven't really read the thread in great detail.

Some of the ME anomalies i'm noticing.

1) Easy chances squandered. My team misses some unbelievable guilt edged chances game after game.

2) Late goals. I've switched to defensive strategies and my team are usually quite motivated, but still tend to concede a lot of last minute goals, result defining or not.

3) Near post goals. Around 50% of the goals I concede from open play are near post. Keepers barely move.

4) Corner goals. I saw this mentioned above so no need to comment further.

5) Injuries. Getting a lot of these, not sure if it's that my tactic demanding too much though.

6) Yellow Cards. Could be the tactic also.

I quite like the game other than the mentioned problems. I do think once the final patch is out this game will be brilliant.

7. Woodwork - Regardless of who (player or AI), it gets hit at least 3-4 times EVERY single game which is ridiculous. I can understand a game here or..there, but not every single game. I'd rather see the ball go flying wide.

tp81.png

Same here. No matter what team, it can be a cup match against a lower league but the last 20 or 15 minutes of the match they charge, no matter they loosing by 1 or 2 or by 5 :confused:

I wonder how much shorter peoples bug lists would be if the 3D match engine didn't exist and everyone was still viewing 2D ...

Valid point here my Swedish friend. However, in general I like the 3D engine. I like the way the game works, in general. Sometimes I get really tilty when losing matches because of perceived bugs, but all in all I really feel like it evens out.

My issues really boils down to the realism and static stuff that happens. I feel like FM14 is still an unfinished product, I just can't shake that feeling. I've not enjoyed this game as much as I have the previous ones, and that's a shame... I feel emotional right now.

Just had the same, was 2-0 up and cruising, then my GK just drops the ball and lets the attacker who was 30 yards out run to it and score, ended up losing 7-3, 5 of the goals errors, 2 of which from the keeper who still gets a 6.9 rating????

The amount of corners in every match is too damn high.

Last match I had 27 corners. Right now I'm in a match, I've had 10 corners by the 27th minute :lol:

Also, way too much woodwork and too many one on ones missed.

Other than that the game is fine imho.

Just had the same, was 2-0 up and cruising, then my GK just drops the ball and lets the attacker who was 30 yards out run to it and score, ended up losing 7-3, 5 of the goals errors, 2 of which from the keeper who still gets a 6.9 rating????

To be fair, the keeper error in my game was for 1-1. I thought I had the game in the bag at 3-1 before my MC set to Mark The Six Yard Box decides not to attack a corner crossed into the six yard box and then the pressure came in the last 10 minutes and we couldn't cope.

To be fair, the keeper error in my game was for 1-1. I thought I had the game in the bag at 3-1 before my MC set to Mark The Six Yard Box decides not to attack a corner crossed into the six yard box and then the pressure came in the last 10 minutes and we couldn't cope.

At the moment I am putting it down to one of those games where these things happen, will report back later if the trend continues

I continue to see a difference between "The Player" and "AI" in terms of Match Engine. I hardly can start my PC, so im certainly not a genius and i know nothing in programming, but i used to think that ME act with the players on the pitch regardless if it's "your mens" or the opponents. But i have to say that some mistakes, like defenders that simply look the opponent sliding through without feeling the need to tackle - as well as wingers that never try to dialogue with the CF - in the IA teams doesn't happen. Im trying all day long to understand "if it's me or it's ME" and still i don't know.

Also, for the records, at least in my saves there are some results (not of my team) incredibly surprising that kill the realism like nothing before: in my last 3 games the World Cup 2014 was won by Senegal, Belgium and Russia. Costa Rica also was a finalist. Brazil, on 3 occasion, reached once the quarter-finals.

In Serie A Sampdoria goes in Champions League (while in reality it's struggling to avoid relegation) and once a team Roma and Lazio get relegated.

I hate people saying "it's unrealistic", because it's a game ecc ecc, but i still think that these results got to be the consequence of years of working - good or bad the work is. But the first year...

I think that this is a MAJOR issue with the game.

This actually explains quite a lot for those that are struggling tactically, if the AI is tackling and generally better at having success in the stat departments - then you have to understand that there is something not quite right with your tactical set-ups. The AI will generally know what the (overall) strength of your team is, the AI will then use (certain) Strategies and the instructions to go with it (which is a lot less complicated than you can imagine) to combat your team. If you don't know how to do generally the same thing, you will be outside of the "reward" element that this game offers and thus will cause you to struggle - there is nothing the AI can do that the human user can't do (and a lot better, I might add...)

Progress comes at a price sadly...

There are 100's if not 1000's of new animations and a ton of new code in the newest game, which meant the ME had to be rebuild from basically the ground up.. Legacy code can only be stretched so far and if anything is to be improved further, a rebuild was going to happen eventually.

Ah I see. I didn't know that and I thought the big rebuild happened in FM13. It's more understandable that there is still so much work to do with a match engine that has been rebuild from scratch. Well I hope PaulC and his team will get working as nicely in the end as they did with FM13.

Archived