Sports Interactive Community
jamiescfc2013

best ways of making the laptop faster to play FM14?

I was going to do this now till I can play FM14 a week today :thup: but in recent years the star ratings has been at least 1 to 2 1/.2 stars but rarely 3 is there any tips you could give to me to sort out this problem?. :cool:

The only thing that really helps is a faster CPU so the only advice really is testing the number of leagues/players loaded till you find a nr you are happy with. And depending on your graphics card you might have to lower match settings and turn of sky rendering for it to look smooth in 3d games.

I have never cared about the star rating myself and usually play with half a star but its fast enough for me. Its all up to you what you think feels fast enough to play...

I write software and and have had multiple computers at once for over 30 years, and the single best addition to any computer for performance improvements is RAM (memory). I have 8GB in my laptop, and 50-60K players in the DB results in around 2.5-3 stars, which is plenty fast. I have 24GB on my desktop (with a 3+ year old CPU), and it barely budges from 5 stars. Replacing the CPU may help, especially if it's old, but memory, and perhaps an SSD rather than a traditional hard drive, will give you the biggest improvements.

Edit: I should point out that this is on FM13, but I can't imagine the performance will take much of a hit in 14.

I have 24GB on my desktop (with a 3+ year old CPU), and it barely budges from 5 stars.

I thought FM is an 32 bit application. I think you don't have any benefit between 8GB and 24GB RAM, because the FM can't adress more memory. The only benefit would be, if you run more applications at the same time.

A) I wasn't aware that it was 32-bit, but I do see a marked difference in processing performance (not just the 3-D matches) on my desktop vs. my laptop. B) Still 32-bit? Just wow.

Most games (and non-professional programs) are generally 32 bit and doubt that will change any time in the near future. As far as your 'problem'... how many stars are not a 'problem' but more of just an "issue".

Ultimately, it's basically going to take your CPU speed, factor in available space on hard drive and available memory to give you a star. So here is a list of things you can do to earn some new stars:

1) Buy a new laptop... yes yes, money can't buy you love... but it can buy you a new laptop you can love....

2) As mentioned above, upgrade a) CPU, b) memory, c) hard drive or d) all of the above. Faster of any of the above parts might fix it, but finding your ultimate bottleneck will increase it greatly. Easiest way for your average person to figure it out... go to windows experience and see what rates the lowest Control Panel\System and Security\System and click on Windows Experience Index. Lowest subscore will generally be your bottleneck.

3) As far as memory... I come from the school of where memory is important, but most people probably don't put enough focus into it to get it optimized to make any gains from having a large amount of memory. When I say optimize, this means from going into the bios to put in timings to disabling hibernation/sleep features.

4) If a lot of this is over your head... please see #1, if #1 doesn't work for you... you are just going to have to start learning and figuring it all out.

Ultimately, what is your overall goal... As a piece of advice, just because FM14 gives you 1 or 1.5 stars, it's not the end of the day. Use it strictly as a guide. There are options in the settings to make your life easier even with 1 star.

Additionally, you can make the database smaller as well as remove some leagues. If you plan on only playing England, why do you need to have Italy C/2 enabled? Select fewer teams or customize your database under advanced size and select what you rather have enabled.

So the real question here is... do you just want more stars or are you having issues playing the game and looking for ways to make your gaming experience better?

Hope this helps.

Edit: I should point out that this is on FM13, but I can't imagine the performance will take much of a hit in 14.

I have a high end laptop that I bought in February and I had no problems for FM13, but for this version some screens can take an AGE to load, in particular loading the contract negotiation screen and sometimes my inbox takes a few seconds to catch up.

I have a high end laptop that I bought in February and I had no problems for FM13, but for this version some screens can take an AGE to load, in particular loading the contract negotiation screen and sometimes my inbox takes a few seconds to catch up.

Sounds like a bug. If those parts worked quickly before, they should now. It doesn't seem like there would be orders of magnitude more processing going on there.