Understanding Tendency to Punch vs Handling

As I understand it from reading various articles, TdP and Handling are 'alternative' atttributes to each other. Meaning that if a keeper, say, has a low Handling attribute, a high TtP will, at least somewhat, compensate for that; and if he has a high Handling attribute he should preferably have a low TtP attribute, because why punch it if you have the ability to catch it?

Is my understanding of the interplay between these two attributes correct, or am I misunderstanding them? Appreciate any help, thanks.

Never really thought of it that way tbh.

Handling is how well a GK holds onto a shot/cross whereas TtP is how much much he prefers to punch as opposed to trying to catch a ball.

In theory though a high TtP would compensate a little for lower handling ability as he is less likely to try and keep hold of the ball.

Never really thought of it that way tbh.

Handling is how well a GK holds onto a shot/cross whereas TtP is how much much he prefers to punch as opposed to trying to catch a ball.

In theory though a high TtP would compensate a little for lower handling ability as he is less likely to try and keep hold of the ball.

If that's the case what's aerial ability then? Cosmetic attribute?

If that's the case what's aerial ability then? Cosmetic attribute?

Aerial ability is like jumping for an outfield player I believe, its how high he can reach into the air to get to a ball. While linked to TtP & Handling it works alongside them and is certainly not just cosmetic.

IMO you want your GKs to have low Punching and high Handling. Many goals are conceded from the GK spilling the ball or parrying it instead of holding it.

In conjunction with this you want your shot stopping attributes to be as high as possible. From what I have learnt, these are concentration, positioning, composure, reflexes and one on ones.

Finally you need good consistency in a goalkeeper. It is very important.

With regards to aerial ability, from what I understand it means the player's capability to fulfill his GK duties whilst airborne. Jumping affects how high he can reach.

The communication attributes determine how frequently the GK will incur the penalties of mistakes caused by miscommunication. Arguably not as important as shot stopping because it will make up for a lack of communication or errors, but communication will affect how often the GK may be tested, and the less the better. Eccentricity is like GK flair, IMO the lower the better, though it is amusing for a GK to come out to the edge of the 18 to head a ball away! Agility will also be important because it affects how quickly the player will rise from the ground to change direction and stop another shot.

IMO you want your GKs to have low Punching and high Handling. Many goals are conceded from the GK spilling the ball or parrying it instead of holding it.

In conjunction with this you want your shot stopping attributes to be as high as possible. From what I have learnt, these are concentration, positioning, composure, reflexes and one on ones.

With regards to aerial ability, from what I understand it means the player's capability to fulfill his GK duties whilst airborne. Jumping affects how high he can reach.

The communication attributes determine how frequently the GK will incur the penalties of mistakes caused by miscommunication. Arguably not as important as shot stopping because it will make up for a lack of communication or errors, but communication will affect how often the GK may be tested, and the less the better. Eccentricity is like GK flair, IMO the lower the better, though it is amusing for a GK to come out to the edge of the 18 to head a ball away! Agility will also be important because it affects how quickly the player will rise from the ground to change direction and stop another shot.

Pretty sure I agree with most of this, especially since you agree with my theory that TtP needs to be low if Handling is high. I'm not sure you're right, though, about Jumping for a goalkeeper. From what I've read, Aerial Ability is for keepers what Jumping is for outfielders. So Jumping for keepers is inconsequential.

Also, I think you're right about eccentricity needing to be as low as possible, because when you scout a goalkeeper and he has high eccentricity, the scout sometimes tells you in the report that 'unpredictibility' is one of his weaknesses.

No, you can spill the ball with 20 handling.

Really it depends WHAT the tendenacy to punch attribute means. Before it used to mean crosses/corners - did he punch it or claim it. Now in the modern football world a diving save is usually 'punched' away or over the bar, not just crosses anymore.

Ideally you'd want high handling, moderate punching but high decisions. You don't want a keeper that won't punch, and likewise you don't want one who'll punch everything.

Archived