Sports Interactive Community
kimjjj

What makes better players? A CA vs Attributes question with a comparison example

I know of course that I'm not 'supposed' to know a player's CA, but being curious about the mechanics of the game I often check my players in FM Scout. Doing so, and in trying to decide which of my players should be first choice for one of my DC positions, I find myself stumped by these two players below.

Alberto has been my trusty DC for five years, but young regen Petersen is making gains. Looking at the attributes, I thought Petersen still had a long way to go before overtaking Alberto. When adding the attributes up, Alberto still scores much higher than Petersen. But then I noticed what FM Scout says about them: that Alberto has a CA of 133 and Petersen one of 134! This I don't understand. What makes Petersen Alberto's equal? The only attributes in which he more than just marginally outranks Alberto are in teamwork, work rate and acceleration. (Not counting corners and crossing. Also, their hidden attributes are about the same, except versatility).

Are those three attributes really considered to be so important that they outrank all the other attribute leads Alberto has, or what is otherwise the rationale behind these numbers? Is it significant that Alberto, playing the DC, 'wastes' a lot of CA in flair, off the ball, finishing, dribbling, long shots and creativity? (He can also play DM and CM).

Appreciate any help, thanks.

35cr28m.jpg

A player's ability to use his weaker foot has a significant impact on CA. I see that Alberto is right only, which may account for some of the difference.

Every attributes have different weight(how much CA they cost). Physical is most expensive. Also higher attribute more it cost. For example, to improve acceleration from 8 to 9 cost 2CA but improve acceleration from 17 to 18 cost 8CA.

Also such attributes as Aggression and Bravery doesn’t cost CA.

A player's ability to use his weaker foot has a significant impact on CA. I see that Alberto is right only, which may account for some of the difference.

I made tests http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/377352-New-FM14-PPM-–-Attempts-To-Develop-Weaker-Foot.

Tests shows to have improve weak foot from 8(weak) to 13(Fairly strong) cost about 2-3 CA I wouldn’t call it “significant impact”. -)

I made tests http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/377352-New-FM14-PPM-–-Attempts-To-Develop-Weaker-Foot.

Tests shows to have improve weak foot from 8(weak) to 13(Fairly strong) cost about 2-3 CA I wouldn’t call it “significant impact”. -)

Interesting test, thanks for sharing that. I always assumed improving the weaker foot took more CA than that. I guess it's like other attributes... takes a little to go from 8 to 13, but a lot to go from 17 to 18.

Does anyone have a link to where we can see exactly how much CA is used up by each individual attribute?

It seems to me that even when you factor in more two-footedness in Petersen, the parity between their CA is still questionable. Judging by their attributes, acceleration, teamwork and work rate must eat up an enormous amount of Petersen's CA, even though they're not important attributes for a DC.

What about versatility? Does that occupy CA? Do any of the hidden attributes occupy CA?

Does anyone have a link to where we can see exactly how much CA is used up by each individual attribute?

fairly sure that's kept under lock and key by someone at SI, otherwise anyone could create a copy of the game

One thing to remember is that FM Scout is guesstimating. Only SI knows their exact CA.

Doesn't being able to play in different positions eat up CA too? Mogens can play right back, I see - that'll take up some of the difference in CA. Is Alberto a pure CB, whereas Mogens can play a couple of positions which he's not totally natural in?

The IGE gives you a decent estimate. Positions eat up CA while also tweaking how some stats are weighted.

For example, a Striker with high Finishing may cost less (CA wise) than a Defender with the same stats in Finishing.

Guesstimating, I haven't done a thorough test yet.

Every attribute has weightings attached and the weightings change based on position and general positions the player can play. A DRC will have different weightings to a DC, DM, MC player. Even positions such as MR and AMR have differing weightings and this means if you re-train a player from one to the other it has a knock on effect.

The way it used to be done meant that if you trained a player to competent in the two general areas he didn't play (ie for a defender train him to competent in midfield and attack) it freed up enormous amounts of CA as the weightings decreased in value. That's no longer the case so that doesn't work anymore.

If you disregard the differences in the attributes which don't 'eat' CA or which are of very low weight for a DC, like free kicks, penalties, aggression, bravery (those two I thought were more important, just relying on what was posted above here) or flair, then you can see two very similar players, especially in the key attributes.

Alberto has a lower weak foot ability and can play in more positions, therefore both players are likely to have very similar CAs.

However, CA plays no role whatsoever in terms of performance.

You should thus free yourself of believeing that the player with the higher CA should be playing.

Only attributes get into the equation in the ME and that is what defines performance. Thus, go for the guy who delivers on the pitch and when trying to determine who is more likely to do so, look at what is expected of him and how his attributes are like in these areas.

You say Alberto has been your trusty man for years and now Petersen is making gains. That's exactly what you should look at and your gut feeling probably tells the truth to you anyway. So don't waste any time on CA considerations. It won't help you.

That said, what you COULD enter into the equation is PA, not CA. If one of them has significant potential for further development, then you should try and make use of that. This is with a view to the future only of course and not affecting current performance.