*** Live from Ceasar's Palace, Las Vegas - The 2004 CMS Awards ***

Raptor

A phonecall between Groningen and the US some time last November…

Raptor … So basically, that’s the plan for this year, it’s easiest to get to for everyone.

Mao Mark, Mark, Mark… Don’t you see it’s always the same? Edinburgh, Belfast, Glasgow… It’s the CMS Awards, not the Brit Awards… You have to take them elsewhere for a change.

R Hey, I looked into that, had several offers, and rang a few people across the globe myself. But nothing with enough glamour or history was available.

M You’ve been to Paris recently haven’t you?

R Hey, I may have made peace with half, the female half, of the French population, but that doesn’t mean I’ll let the CMS Awards become part of the Paris 2012 Bid.

M There’s a joke about you and Napoleon in there somewhere… Oh well, thought about Greece?

R They won Euro2004, had the Olympics, we shouldn’t spoil them with ANOTHER world class event.

M Madrid? Australia? Amsterdam?

R Madrid: I hear there’s problems with public transport. Melbourne would be an option if our man Down Under wasn’t too busy planning his honeymoon. 020: you’re joking right? I’d go to Germany first.

M Munich’s a good place to be this time of year.

R Actually, with my brother spending half the time in Germany nowadays, I had him check out Neunkirchen for me, but he stupidly mentioned benny, and no one dared to say another word. So Germany’s out too.

M I suppose even your wee village would do?

R Groningen? Get real. I’m lucky not to have been expelled following the CMS meetup in June. The city’s still recovering from that invasion. Besides, after the glass door incident, I couldn’t possibly show my face around there anymore.

M Glass door? Do tell…

R Talk to my lawyer instead. Other suggestions? And yes, I thought about Dublin, but they’ll get it in ’09, when Guinness celebrate 250 years in business.

M Elsewhere in the Southern Hemisphere? Cape Town, Rio, someplace warm.

R Halfway across the globe, no thanks. Besides, that’s not glamorous enough.

M And London is? Seriously Mark, if you want some glamour, AND a change from Britain, you should take the party Stateside.

R Hmm… I suppose with the dollar being as weak as it is, that might be a half-decent idea… Don’t have the contacts though, well, apart from you and this country boy. Actually tried New York, but Broadway started to laugh when I mentioned soccer. Ignorant c*nts.

M You’re talking about the wrong seaboard… East Coast is sooooo yesterday. You might as well host the Awards in Canada! No, if it’s glamour you want, the west is where it’s at.

R Hollywood?

M Oh please… and let people do 30-minute acceptance speeches? You usually drag out the ceremony for too long anyway. No, I’m talking about taking a leaf out of the Mao’s and hitting Vegas.

R I dunno… We’d have to dumb down the ceremony too much I reckon.

M Dumb down from what? Last year’s stuff was boring as f*ck. Not to mention unfunny. At least ’02 was half-decent, but then 13 wrote most of the script.

R And I suppose you can do better?

M No… I will do better. If you let me, of course.

R How?

M By putting up a real show Mark… by putting up a real show.

R Oh for god’s sake, if you think I’m gonna be dancing again, you’re greatly mistaken. There isn’t enough alcohol on the planet to get me that crazy again.

M It only took a pint and a half of shandy last time.

R Yeah well, the Irish taught me a thing or two about drinking since.

M Don’t worry, for a ceremony like this, we’ll get some real women to dance. None of you cross-dressing Europhiles.

R Why do I get the feeling I’m gonna regret what I’m about to say?

M I take it we’re in agreement then?

R I guess we are…

And so, Las Vegas became the setting for the final CMS Awards. But with life throwing up the weirdest, most unlikely meetings when you least expect it, the two intended hosts ran into Mark Frost and Stevie O’Mao at Logan International Airport in Boston, where the latter pair had arrived ahead of a Boston Hibs game. Boys being boys, they went out in town, met some more people, and got involved in some pretty weird conversations. By next morning, they still couldn’t decide whether the X-files-like stories they heard were true or not. The sudden change of weather to very heavy snowstorms added to the creepiness. Stuck in Boston, no flight would leave town any time soon, it was just as well they had mobile phones with, albeit very weak, some sort of signal. It was good enough to reach the two women currently at the door here at Ceasar’s Palace…

• Replies 400
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A phonecall between Groningen and the US some time last November…

Raptor … So basically, that’s the plan for this year, it’s easiest to get to for everyone.

Mao Mark, Mark, Mark… Don’t you see it’s always the same? Edinburgh, Belfast, Glasgow… It’s the CMS Awards, not the Brit Awards… You have to take them elsewhere for a change.

R Hey, I looked into that, had several offers, and rang a few people across the globe myself. But nothing with enough glamour or history was available.

M You’ve been to Paris recently haven’t you?

R Hey, I may have made peace with half, the female half, of the French population, but that doesn’t mean I’ll let the CMS Awards become part of the Paris 2012 Bid.

M There’s a joke about you and Napoleon in there somewhere… Oh well, thought about Greece?

R They won Euro2004, had the Olympics, we shouldn’t spoil them with ANOTHER world class event.

M Madrid? Australia? Amsterdam?

R Madrid: I hear there’s problems with public transport. Melbourne would be an option if our man Down Under wasn’t too busy planning his honeymoon. 020: you’re joking right? I’d go to Germany first.

M Munich’s a good place to be this time of year.

R Actually, with my brother spending half the time in Germany nowadays, I had him check out Neunkirchen for me, but he stupidly mentioned benny, and no one dared to say another word. So Germany’s out too.

M I suppose even your wee village would do?

R Groningen? Get real. I’m lucky not to have been expelled following the CMS meetup in June. The city’s still recovering from that invasion. Besides, after the glass door incident, I couldn’t possibly show my face around there anymore.

M Glass door? Do tell…

R Talk to my lawyer instead. Other suggestions? And yes, I thought about Dublin, but they’ll get it in ’09, when Guinness celebrate 250 years in business.

M Elsewhere in the Southern Hemisphere? Cape Town, Rio, someplace warm.

R Halfway across the globe, no thanks. Besides, that’s not glamorous enough.

M And London is? Seriously Mark, if you want some glamour, AND a change from Britain, you should take the party Stateside.

R Hmm… I suppose with the dollar being as weak as it is, that might be a half-decent idea… Don’t have the contacts though, well, apart from you and this country boy. Actually tried New York, but Broadway started to laugh when I mentioned soccer. Ignorant c*nts.

M You’re talking about the wrong seaboard… East Coast is sooooo yesterday. You might as well host the Awards in Canada! No, if it’s glamour you want, the west is where it’s at.

R Hollywood?

M Oh please… and let people do 30-minute acceptance speeches? You usually drag out the ceremony for too long anyway. No, I’m talking about taking a leaf out of the Mao’s and hitting Vegas.

R I dunno… We’d have to dumb down the ceremony too much I reckon.

M Dumb down from what? Last year’s stuff was boring as f*ck. Not to mention unfunny. At least ’02 was half-decent, but then 13 wrote most of the script.

R And I suppose you can do better?

M No… I will do better. If you let me, of course.

R How?

M By putting up a real show Mark… by putting up a real show.

R Oh for god’s sake, if you think I’m gonna be dancing again, you’re greatly mistaken. There isn’t enough alcohol on the planet to get me that crazy again.

M It only took a pint and a half of shandy last time.

R Yeah well, the Irish taught me a thing or two about drinking since.

M Don’t worry, for a ceremony like this, we’ll get some real women to dance. None of you cross-dressing Europhiles.

R Why do I get the feeling I’m gonna regret what I’m about to say?

M I take it we’re in agreement then?

R I guess we are…

And so, Las Vegas became the setting for the final CMS Awards. But with life throwing up the weirdest, most unlikely meetings when you least expect it, the two intended hosts ran into Mark Frost and Stevie O’Mao at Logan International Airport in Boston, where the latter pair had arrived ahead of a Boston Hibs game. Boys being boys, they went out in town, met some more people, and got involved in some pretty weird conversations. By next morning, they still couldn’t decide whether the X-files-like stories they heard were true or not. The sudden change of weather to very heavy snowstorms added to the creepiness. Stuck in Boston, no flight would leave town any time soon, it was just as well they had mobile phones with, albeit very weak, some sort of signal. It was good enough to reach the two women currently at the door here at Ceasar’s Palace…

Evening everybody, good to see at least some people made it here in one piece. As you may have heard, your usual hosts are stuck in Boston, and they couldn’t be here in time. Personally, I reckon the boys are just pished and can’t be bothered, but hey, we’d do a better job anyway. Girl power and all that. So youse will have to settle for Mrs. Doyle and myself tonight, as we celebrate five years of CMS.

That’s right Katie, and there will be no more, with the arrival of FMS. But before the curtain comes down on the CMS era, 24 awards are up for grabs. Sit back, and enjoy the show. Drinks are on the house, as always, though we’re sad to inform the younger stars in attendance legal age is 21 over here. For drinking, of course. If you fancy any of the women present tonight, 18 will suffice. And in the event of you wishing to sign up for a Tour of Duty in Iraq, the ripe old age of 17 means you’re free to sign on the dotted line icon_smile.gif

Well, I see most people have settled in, and we're about ready to begin. Can one of you cute little fellas at the bar please pass me a glass of red wine first though? icon_smile.gif

Before we start, I would like to pass on the regards of Mr. Faramir and Mr. Furnivall, who both regret not to be able to attend this ceremony, due to family reasons, one for happier reasons than the other...

Now, let's get the show on the road, shall we? icon_smile.gif

As your invitation suggested, these final CMS Awards are a celebration of the five years our community spent under its old name. This evening will feature lots of flashbacks to days gone by, and we thought it'd be nice to start with a little story on how we got here in the first place.

The Making of CMS - The Awards

To stop all the theads and polls about what was the best story, who is the best writer etc, Wimbledon1 came up with the idea of having an annual awards ceremony. Mao also decided to create his own awards, as he felt he was more important that the CMS voters icon_razz.gif Sadly, the Mao awards are now, seemingly, defunct.

The ‘virgin’ awards ceremony, way back in 2000.

The 2001 ‘Peacemaker7’ awards. (With HD making a tit of himself as the support act.)

The 2002 awards from Belfast

The 2003 ‘Flipsix3’ awards

Jeff and PM7 start up the CMS bookies

Mao was so jealous of the stars, he had to have his own show icon_razz.gif

More from Mao.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by flipsix3:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jambo_4eva:

*There you go* icon_biggrin.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Cute... stretching a point

Little... check

Fella... hmmm <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm not little icon_mad.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by OMDave:

*spikes his own drink* <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Clears up the mess then explains Gridiron celebrations to OMDave and points out that "spiking" something has another meaning over here

And our first award tonight will be for the writer who has stamina, certainly more than my husband used to have, but thats another story,

This award is for the

MOST UNDERRATED WRITER

and the finalists in this catergory are

Eldritch7

Gino

Gricehead

HD

Wag

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by flipsix3:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by OMDave:

*spikes his own drink* <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Clears up the mess then explains Gridiron celebrations to OMDave and points out that "spiking" something has another meaning over here <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

*stares incomprehendingly*

*stares incomprehendingly* <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

When a receiver scores a touchdown and slams the ball into the floor (so it bounces nice and high) it's known as "spiking the ball" iirc icon_wink.gif

*stares incomprehendingly* <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

When a receiver scores a touchdown and slams the ball into the floor (so it bounces nice and high) it's known as "spiking the ball" iirc icon_wink.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ah. Hence the mess. Works both ways I guess icon_smile.gif

Our second award will probably not be collected here tonight, as it's the award for Most Missed CMSer. Hopefully, the winner, as well as the other nominees, will one day return to the community...

The nominees:

MOST MISSED CMSer

Andrew Downing

Brian W

Flann O'Brien (Sir Bert Merton)

ghostwriter

King Jeff

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Katie Frost:

Hopefully, the winner, as well as the other nominees, will one day return to the community... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That would depend on the manner of their return...

Archived