Assistant Manager

Hi!

I'm trying to find myself a more suitable assistant manager, although I'm not sure what skills I should focus on.

I'm looking at determination, level of discipline and motivating, my current AM got 12-7-13. I've got him doing the training, and that's where I run into trouble, he's got quite high training skills.

What's more important when I got him doing my training, his mental skills or his coaching skills? It's more or less impossible to find someone with high stats on both.

Just got my training facilities upgraded, what I'm wondering is basically, if my AM is in charge of training and got low stats on coaching, will my players suffer under that, or do I have some "under-the-hood" coaches equivalent to my training facilities? If that is the case, I suppose I can just hire an assistant manager with high mental skills, or..?

• 2 weeks later...
Since he is your only "coach" in FMC I try to have an all-round guy if possible with good stats in all coaching aspects.

Interesting thought here, is he your coach too? I realize there are no coaches in this mode but where does it say your assistant manager is your coach? I kind of thought your training facilities were your coach... what does, in fact, progress your players in this mode?

Oh Lucas...

I was looking around for a new Assistant but couldn't too many with the stats I was after, just looking for Assistant Managers. I then decided to look for Head of Youth Development and found some that had rather tasty stats for being an Assistant, though their star rating for being one was very low. In this game, is it best advised to just search for staff titled as Assistant Manager, or can you sign one that isn't, put them in the role, and they will adapt to it? This guy below has fantastic stats for an Assistant, and when I clicked on, 'Approach to Sign', he went into talks about it, so was interested in the job. I saved the game at this point and not sure whether to go for him at end of season, worried that his low Assistant star rating might be an issue early on.

Here's a pic of the guy's profile and ratings: http://gyazo.com/2fd6b71084eb2cb8f192123433aaef39

I was looking around for a new Assistant but couldn't too many with the stats I was after, just looking for Assistant Managers. I then decided to look for Head of Youth Development and found some that had rather tasty stats for being an Assistant, though their star rating for being one was very low. In this game, is it best advised to just search for staff titled as Assistant Manager, or can you sign one that isn't, put them in the role, and they will adapt to it? This guy below has fantastic stats for an Assistant, and when I clicked on, 'Approach to Sign', he went into talks about it, so was interested in the job. I saved the game at this point and not sure whether to go for him at end of season, worried that his low Assistant star rating might be an issue early on.

Here's a pic of the guy's profile and ratings: http://gyazo.com/2fd6b71084eb2cb8f192123433aaef39

Staff do improve in their roles if they have PA left to grow. I always sign Danny Webber as my head scout when he retires, he starts as 2 stars and ends up 4.5 by the time he is done developing. I have never tried this hiring a guy outside of his desired role, if it was me I might be tempted to crack open FMRTE and check his CA and PA to test it, but that's me and few people have that program for testing purposes. My advice is to try it, give him a full calendar year and see if he improves even a little, if not, you can always hire someone else next year. He's only 48, that is not too old to improve a lot as a staff member.

EDIT - I am curious now too... if you wanna, I will look at his CA/PA for you :)

Thanks tieio, I dont actually know what FMRTE is. It's a risk I'm not sure I wish to go for, especially it causes problems for the team.

Football Manager Real Time Editor, though it does not work as anything but a scouting tool for FMC, which I like when testing things... for example, monitoring how slowly your youth academy actually improves :p

It would affect nothing in your game, we would just know if he can in fact grow as an assistant manager.

It would never have to be on your computer or touch your real save, just send me a copy of your save. I won't even tell you his PA or CA, I will just tell you if he can grow as an assistant manager and save you a season of finding out!

This morning I just gave my Ass Man the boot as he keeps giving me crap advice during matches all season, most of the time saying our midfield is being over-run, but I always end up winning matches by 2-0, 3-0 or sometime even more, and I am 2 matches away for my 2nd league title in 3 seasons. Now I am in search of a new Ass Man before the new season starts :D

My assman says the same a lot in matches that we're being seriously overrun in midfield, at a time when we've had 65% of possession, 13 shots to 2, and leading 3-0, in the 65th min. You can guess that I don't change things to suit his advice.

LOL, no kidding, he must be watching a different match than you.

I don't watch matches at all, I just Instant Result them with my glorious match plans and move on so I don't see these things at all. Must be entertaining, it would make one lead to eye rolls and then ignoring the news feed all together I imagine.

• 2 weeks later...

After reading and asking about the duties of an assistant manager, it appears that a lot of people implement his in match advice and a lot don't. There are many differing opinions on both sides. After all of this I no longer heed any of my assistants in match advice. The results shown in the 'training and tactics' forum of mine entitled 'if I can do this then...', were gained in this manner. This has lead me to be of this opinion. If you want to take the advice of your assistant manager, you and he should be of a like mind about the following. Formation, strategy and philosophy. Also he should have attributes at least to the required level of whatever division your team is in.

In the Premiership the crucial attributes should, I believe be higher than fifteen/twenty. You can subtract by two for each division you drop. At least, has been my understanding down the years. I would hope that if I am incorrect then someone who knows better will enlighten us all.

I always always always go with someone that makes me smile. In FM 13 I had Ryan Giggs as my ass man at QPR. I liked the idea of bossing him around. I'm at Plymouth at the moment on FM 14 and got Frank Lampard Snr, he's retiring and Matthew Etherington, Anton Ferdinand and Gareth Barry are my leading contenders to take over purely for comedy purposes.

• 4 months later...

So let me get this right.....

Assistant manager coaching attributes are meaningless in Classic mode?

I never find assistants match advice helpful, so tactical knowledge is also pointless. No team talks etc in Classic mode either.....

So what attributes DO they need in Classic mode????? JPP for sure, but are Man Management and Motivation even still relevant?

I'm in no way an expert, but aren't I right in thinking that the individual attribute scores for staff are largely meaningless in classic mode?

I thought how 'good' a staff member was, was reflected in his star score, that a 3.5 star staff will always be better than a 3 star, regardless of individual scores?

I'm in no way an expert, but aren't I right in thinking that the individual attribute scores for staff are largely meaningless in classic mode?

I thought how 'good' a staff member was, was reflected in his star score, that a 3.5 star staff will always be better than a 3 star, regardless of individual scores?

What! Really? Thats a little strange if true, but i guess it'd make my life a little easier, any idea where you got that info from?

Wish SI would clear up some of these minor details for Classic mode, only takes a sentence.

Might be that your midfield is, in fact, being overrun. But that's not a problem if it's a part of your match plan (maybe playing a 4222 with a lot of action going on on the flanks?)

But, yeah, I ignore my assistent as well :p

I think Judging Potential, Judging Ability is super important for your ass man. I think your assistants evaluation is the easiest/quickest way to judge your players in classic mode. Otherwise I want him to be rated 4+ stars as an assistant manager. Yeah, his training abilities really don't seem to matter

Archived