IMBA tactic from Totalfootballfan.

This tactic is amazing and weird at the same time. My results have been brilliant using 14.1.3. What I dont understand is every game I get pop up messages throughout the match saying the midfield is being over run, yet the opposition does absolutely nothing with the ball and rarely have any shots. I usually hit around 30 shots a game with around half being on target but there is a lot of long shots.

Its the most consistent tactic so far for me so thank you :-)

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Testing season with FC Bayern - transfers off for 1st window - expectations: should be able to dominate Bundesliga like in real life

Went through a preseason schedule of 10 games to get the tactic as fluent as possible.

All results are from my point of view. @ indicates away games, vs indicated home games.

2-5 @ Dortmund - German Supercup

6-1 @ Fortuna Köln (German 4th Div) - German Cup

Heading into the 1st Bundesliga game I don't have any major injuries (Götze will be back in a couple of days so nothing to speak of).

TACTIC IS NOW 100% FLUENT, so it should work.

I took the tactic as a base and built from there, i've changed player roles and instructions to imo make it better. Still not 100% happy but am getting there.

Maybe you could tell us what you did to make it better. We're all trying to get the best of of it. What roles did you assign? Did you give any new instructions?

3-0 @ Bremen - three early goals but it was a poor match (created only 1 CCC)

4-0 vs Frankfurt - dominated the game (37-0 shots) but only 2 CCC. Two goals came from corners

1-2 Chelsea (European Supercup, neutral ground) - Chelsea deserved the win they had 5-1 CCC, my goal came from a corner

4-0 vs Stuttgart - 20-7 shots, 3-0 CCC but only 46% possession. 2 goals from set pieces

1-0 vs Real Sociedad (CL) - 21-7 shots, 3-1 CCC. The lone goal came from a late corner

2-1 @ Augsburg - 21-9 shots, 2-0 CCC

4-2 (after extra-time) vs Leverkusen (German Cup) - 38-8 shots but 4-4 CCC

Götze and Contento are/were injured for most of the games so Alaba was my only LB and Mandzukic/Müller saw more action upfront.

I will play 3 more games before drawing conclusions.

3-0 vs Hamburg - HSV had a man sent off after 17 minutes so I we can't draw a lot of conclusions from this game.

1-0 at Lyon (CL) - 28-8 shots, only 2-0 CCC. Needed an injury-time goal to win it.

1-0 at Wolfsburg - 20-18 shots, 2-1 CCC. Close game, could've gone either way.

Analysis:

We had a shaky start with 2 draws and a loss in the European Supercup game against a good opponent (Chelsea). After I got the team's morale up we won all our games (won last 7 in a row) but we're not destroying opponents. Yes, we win. Yes, we have a lot of shots and corners. But, even with a world class squad like Bayern I struggle to consistently create CCC from open play (not counting CCC after set pieces). A lot of half chances and long shots but the results speak for themselves.

Positives:

- results - 14 games: 8 wins, 2 draws, 2 losses (the German & European Supercup games)

- very good once tactic is 100% fluent and morale is good (won 7 in a row)

- very solid defensively. Doesn't concede a lot of goals from open play.

- great set pieces. Through 8 league games I scored 6 from corners while only conceding one. Has a lot to do with DC & DMC attributes.

- creates a lot of shots and half-chances, thus also creates a very high amount of corners (usually about 15-20 per game).

- will not get you too many yellow/red cards

Negatives:

- tactic only works if 100% fluent AND team morale is good which might make the results kind of streaky.

- only works with the exactly right player fits. Not a plug-and-play, you'll need to build your team around the tactics.

- heavily reliant on scoring from corners and occasional long shots.

- doesn't 'destroy' weaker opponents because of lack of CCC creation.

- you will not have a lot of possession (usually around 50% home, 45% away)

Conclusion:

Very good tactics if you can afford to mold your team in the way you need it and have the time to get it fluent. If you use this tactic right from the start of preseason and really concentrate on getting it fluent and keeping morale up it will be very effective. However, you'll need the right players for it to work. You'll need quick/technical guys for the attacking positions and big/physical guys for defending (really only CB & DMC).

If you're somewhere in the middle of the season and need a quick fix this tactic will not work for you. However, I highly recommend this tactic for a bigger club (so you have enough funds to get the right players in), starting at the beginning of preseason (you'll need about 6-8 weeks to get it fluent).

You're welcome. Now I know there is a tactic out there I can use if nothing else works. At the moment I'm torn between trying to create my own tactic (old school style with a big target man up front) or finally starting a long-term save game with your tactics. Possible team choices include Liverpool, West Ham, Monaco, Inverness, HJK Helsinki or maybe Ajax.

Heh, I don’t recommend you to pick West Ham if you don’t like to rebuild your team in pre-season. I picked West Ham because it’s totally don’t suit my tactic and I like totally rebuild and reshape team -))

This transfers I made in first season in pre-season. As you can see 14 players sold and and 12 bought -))

http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/9767/76xq.jpg

76xq.jpg

How on earth did you get that much money for O'Brien and Diame???

I never said I don't like rebuilding my team. That's my favourite part of the game. I just don't like to do it in the 1st window to add some realism (these are the teams that atually played the first half of the 2013/14 season), so I switched the 1st transfer window off. As soon as I get the chance I will heavily rebuild my team, unless I inherit a world-class squad like Bayern or Barca.

Still torn if I should keep focusing on a tactics (create my own target man tactic) or finally start that long-term save...

How on earth did you get that much money for O'Brien and Diame???

Yup! Monaco and Liverpool was ready to pay 21M for Diame -))

If you are looking for something old school I’d recommend this 4-4-2 http://yadi.sk/d/1xRY00f6EDR99

I had perfect result with it not worse than with tactic 3FC.

In this 4-4-2. 2FC must be Strong and preferably technical – deep lying forwards.

ML/MR – typical wingers.

One MC – attacking/speed/technique/off the ball/dribling. Second MC – Defend/Strength/Position/Marking/Work Rate/Team Work.

DL/DR – no need to be extra technical/speedy with good dribbling like for 3FC. Just reasonable speed/position/marking/work rate/team work.

2DC – typical DC.

8.5 mil for o'brien? and 21 for diame? LOL and even so i dont you get allowed to spend 90mil with west hams debt, seems abit unreal

Never pay all sums upfront! Use Monthly Installments over 48 Month. Usually clubs agrees 10-15% upfront and other 85-90% over 48 Months. It gives you great advantage to rebuild your team as fast as possible.

Let’s say your transfer budget 10M so you can buy 3 players for 10M each! But you need to set for each of them 2.5M upfront and 7.5M over 48 months.

It only will be deducted 3.5M from your transfer budget for each of them.

P.S. on screenshot you can see the total cost of transfers but only 10-15% from it was paid upfront other 85% should be paid over 48 month(4 years).

Trying to use your 3FC tactics as a base. At the moment I'm trying to change it into a tactics that makes use of a TM. To test it I'll just continue with my Bayern test-save (they already have the tactic fluent). My aim is to basically keep the core of your tactic intact and make it suitable for a big TM like Mandzukic or Carroll. So I hope to get a mix of your fast paced dribbling attacks and some old school big, powerful TM.

Changes I made:

- changed the middle STC to 'Target Man' on attacking duty and removed the 'shoot less often' instruction for him

- changed some instructions for the wing backs (DL/DR): added 'cross aim target man', added 'cross more often' and removed 'cross from byline'

Any suggestions?

I know. Don't consider my tests as anything scientifical. Just want to check if it works for me.

First 3 games with the changes:

5-1 vs Braunschweig - dominance but 2 goals came from corners

0-0 at Man City (CL) - they needed a 7.8 performance by Joe Hart to save the draw

1-0 at Schalke - scrappy win, not the greatest match

Mandzukic (my TM) doesn't get involved enough yet. I'll probably make some more changes and re-design the attacking play to try to get the TM involved but I'll probably keep your defensive setup (DCs, DMC and man marking on opposing full backs) as it is.

Target Man experiment is ended for now due to lack of crosses from anyone but the full backs. Without those crosses I can't get the TM (Mandzukic) involved. The game results were ok (5 wins, 1 draw, 1 loss) but the playing style was not what I wanted it to be.

I'll stick to your tactics (they're clearly better than mine) but I'd ideally have one true striker to be my main scorer (the STC). Any ideas how to modify roles/instructions to reach that?

Now looking to start a new savegame. Possible teams are Liverpool, West Ham, Monaco, Inverness, Ajax or HJK Helsinki.

I'd ideally have one true striker to be my main scorer (the STC). Any ideas how to modify roles/instructions to reach that?

Sorry, mate I’m think it hardly can be achieved with this tactic. My experience shows that all 3FC have equal chances to score and maybe STC has a bit more. I try to keep “Finishing” of all 3FC not lower then 14. Also teach them “Place shots” PPM. Must say that 2MC also have a lot of one-on-one chances so I’m trying to keep their “Finishing” no lower than 11.

Any advice for good players that fit your tactics?

Hard to recommend because as you know every start game generate random range of PA for some players so in my save his PA can be 180 but in your save his CA could be 150 same thing with Professional/Ambitions/Determination also random.

I’d recommend Gilberto as DR or sub his CA only 128 and PA 150 but he is very cheap only 1M upfront and 3.5M over 48 month but you said that only star rebuild in January for that time his reputation can change and he may not receive Work Permit. Also can recommend a lot of players but no guaranty they receive work permit in your save.

As you see hard to recommend -)))

P.S. and sure I recommend Will Hughes -)) His PA range generation 165-180 but Professional and Ambition is aways 17+

Heh, I’ve won EPL again on the third season with West Ham. Average CA of my team only 140 comparing to Chelsea, Man Utd and Man City who have average CA 160-165. Goal Difference +47.

k898.jpg

As you can see I’ve got very average players.

b51i.jpg

Also 1st place Goals scored.

b0ws.jpg

P.S. I’ll update results when my players reach average CA of TOP clubs about 155-160.

Just wanted to pop in and say thanks for sharing your tactic.

I always holiday through the first season unemployed and then take a job in summer. I ended up at Brighton who'd not really improved or decreased the quality of the team.

The season is not done yet but after spending only £8k on improving my team I sitting 14 points clear at the top of the table:

P:28 W:19 D:6 L:3 F:69 A:29

So looking good and I can highly recommend this tactic.

Thanks buddy

Wahey! We won it comfortably in the end allowing time to give some match time to the youth team and a lot of instant resulting.

Final table:

P:46 W:26 D:12 L:8 F:95 A:47

I really enjoyed the fact that it really allows you to get away with having slow CBs. This is something I had really struggled with in my own tactics and also ancient CBs with great technical but rubbish physical stats are both really common and really cheap in the game, so this makes it a great tactic for small budget teams

Testing this with Arsenal and I'm really struggling away from home. Also the tactic tends to provide 30 shots, 0 of which are CCC's (or even Half Chances) and around 17 of which are long shots. The tactic isn't Fluid just yet, so should I give it more time or am I doing something wrong?

Testing this with Arsenal and I'm really struggling away from home. Also the tactic tends to provide 30 shots, 0 of which are CCC's (or even Half Chances) and around 17 of which are long shots. The tactic isn't Fluid just yet, so should I give it more time or am I doing something wrong?

1) Make sure that you are using updated tactic for 14.2.0(I’ve updated download link in first post).

2) SI has made some changes in 14.2.0 and all tactics have lost “Familiarity”. Yup I know it’s sucks especially when you are in middle of season but we can do nothing about only patience wait till it reaches Fluid again. Till that time result can be worse.

3) Amount of long shots has been increased in 14.2.0 and it’s new ME reality.

4) Please also read “Important Notes” in first post.

Archived