Absurd Wage Demands

I play with Valencia, and like in real life it is my policy to maintain stringent wages. Only 1-2 of my key players have weekly wage exceeding 40K Pounds. Rest have salaries between 5K-35K depending on age and seniority level. I tie most down to a long term contract like 2018, 2019. In some instances, if a player performs very well I increase wage even though the player has time left in contract.

This works ok with most players. But there are certain who have absurd ridiculous demands. For instance I signed Martin Montoya from Barcelona on free contract. He agreed on a 22K pounds per week with contract upto 2019. He joins the club does well, and in less than a year he starts grumbling about an improved contract. When I try offering new contract, he refuses to settle for anything under 67K a ridiculous amount for a young player who is just first team player.

I admit this doenst happen to everyone. Some are perfectly ok with a decent wage.

Question is, is this a bug?

If this isn’t a bug and there are players who expect a big fee, how can you identify such players, so that that I don’t sign them in the first place?

When I've had a player who grumbles about salary and then demands a huge increase, I either 1) use them mercilessly until their contract ends or 2) put them up for transfer and try to get enough out of the sale to buy two quieter but fully-qualified replacements.

Regarding "how to identify them"? I don't think there's a "greedy" character trait, but sometimes when you're signing a player without an agent, it mentions how they might like maximumizing their contracts.

You tied him down to 2019, so tell him he still has a lot of time remaining on his current deal. If he kicks up a fuss then do what podunkboy said.

I think it can relate to the players reputation and reputation of the club and league. You will see this when you try and sign a player while in 2nd or 3rd their but instead of taking €15,000k pw from you, they'll join another higher club team for half of that. Kind of annoying how it works. It's like their way of saying they need more money to drop lower. Montoya might think he's better than Valencia already. Might be ambitious.

Yeah i was thinking too. But unfortunately, unless you get into the editor there are very little ways of figuring out ambition.

Hidden attributes are hinted at in a few areas such as strengths/weaknesses, personality & media handling style.

I think the main wage driver is reputation though, the main time you'll come across this issue is as you've identified you sign a high profile player who is unattached. Initially he'll accept a much lower wage but when you want to negotiate a new contract he'll push for much more due to already being employed.

Yeah i was thinking too. But unfortunately, unless you get into the editor there are very little ways of figuring out ambition.

Fairly Ambitious, Ambitious and Very Ambitious are good indicators of high ambition ;)

So is Fairly Determined, Determined and Driven. Some of the other personality descriptions may also hint at high ambition. Maybe Resilient? The ultimate personality guide should help you out here.

Media handling style can be used along with the personality and Determination attribute to find intervals of several different hidden attributes.

Ambition is very important for player development, though, so it is a good thing and you'll just have to give ambitious youngsters both the princess, the kingdom and an eyebrow-raising squad status to snatch them from their current clubs.

Edit: just wanted to point out that SI has had to drop wage demands once already, and may very well have to tune that part of the game further...

It is not Ambition that determines wage demands. It is Loyalty. More Loyal, less mercenary. Ambition has nowt to do with it., except that players who are noted to have personalities that are "ambitious", "very ambitious" or "fairly ambitious" have high Ambition and low Loyalty. Those players will typically have the highest wage demands, so if you don't want to pay high wages, avoid those personality types.

Unfortunately, the personality types that indicate high loyalty (the ones with "loyal" in them somewhere) also indicate poor ambition. Players that lack ambition do not develop as fast, so it's a huge trade-off. There are no personality types that indicate high loyalty and high ambition apart from "model citizen", which is very rare.

ETA: 67k is not a ridiculous amount for a first team player. Not even remotely ridiculous.

It is not Ambition that determines wage demands. It is Loyalty. More Loyal, less mercenary. Ambition has nowt to do with it., except that players who are noted to have personalities that are "ambitious", "very ambitious" or "fairly ambitious" have high Ambition and low Loyalty. Those players will typically have the highest wage demands, so if you don't want to pay high wages, avoid those personality types.

Unfortunately, the personality types that indicate high loyalty (the ones with "loyal" in them somewhere) also indicate poor ambition. Players that lack ambition do not develop as fast, so it's a huge trade-off. There are no personality types that indicate high loyalty and high ambition apart from "model citizen", which is very rare.

ETA: 67k is not a ridiculous amount for a first team player. Not even remotely ridiculous.

Yeah this is very likely more accurate. Very Ambitious is 20 ambition and sub 8 loyalty (or something) right? I have had a few of those and they were greedy sobs...

Thanks guys. Actually 67K Pounds a week is very high for a team like Valencia. I try to simulate real life with salary caps. Generally only 2-3 key players only have wages above 40K, highest being 44-45.

Actually wages in Spain is extremely low compared to that of England or say France. Except the two most others offer extremely low wages-a reason why there is so much talent drain. I dont know if its too much of an ask but perhaps sth like this will make the game more interesting.

I dont get how anyone would equate loyalty to mean they lack ambition and a good progress rate. Messi anyone?

I dont get how anyone would equate loyalty to mean they lack ambition and a good progress rate. Messi anyone?

It isn't equating loyalty to lack of ambition, but in the attempt to mimick ambitious behaviour the player needs to set the bar high and this includes moving on when it is time. Hence Ambitious personality types in FM lacks Loyalty. If they are loyal, they won't get the Ambitious or Very Ambitious personality types in the report (but they are still ambitious).

Archived