Players wanting huge raises?

I've been noticing that with every play I try to get through a transfer, the player asks for a huge increase in wages.

For example, I tried to get Nick Turner. The team accepted my 80k offer, however Turner (who is making 13k) wants 88k?

He is happy to stay with his old team, and I figured that may have something to do with it. But according to my scouting report, he'd be extremely happy to play for my team. I'm 1st in Skill premier league and his current team is in Skrill South and are in 6th place...

So why does he want a 75k increase to play for my team?

This is just one example, I find a lot of players are asking for unreasonably huge raises to play on my team.

yep no new news there, I bought this game just the other day for my ipad and have watched Chelsea and Man City buy "everyone" with aparently unlimited funds so it would seem. Second season worse, most of the best players were snapped up by either Chelsea and or man City, got old real quick. Even as the Gunners I couldn't compete with the transfers unfolding in the game, huge money and wages. :-(

And then no surprise Man City won the league like with 10 games to go, seemed to win everything right from the get go, glad I only paid 10 bucks for this warped bias. For example I remember watching Man U snap up with world class player for like 11 mil (something like that) and when I checked his profile once he had signed he was valued at like 29 million right of the bat, really! quite obvious cheating from a game aspect. This is not sour grapes as I am still playing half way through second season, but again Man City leading the race yet again with i can only imagine one massive funds for wages. IMHO it is even worse then their real life endless bank account. Basically if your not playing either Chelsea or Man City you lose out on 90% of your bids as you cannot match these two clubs.

I may buy the PC version but at $70 bucks Aussie I am not so sure if this is anything to go by.

Cheers

When I am competing with the big clubs for top players, I offer what is required (fee or wages) to secure the signature and then when the player 'decides to join' my club, I cancel the transfer. I then submit a new offer for the same player. The clubs that were competing before don't come back, and I end up signing the player for a lower fee and lower wage.

I see what your both saying. My issue isn't really with the transfer fee, I find - at least for the players I'm going for - they are fairly reasonable so long as there is no bidding war.

But the amount of money the players want to sign a contract with my club is what I have an issue with.

Oh, and strangely enough, Nick Turner who was asking for 88k ended up signing with me for just over 50k (maximum for my club) anyway. I'm happy he had a change of heart lol...

• SI Staff
Oh, and strangely enough, Nick Turner who was asking for 88k ended up signing with me for just over 50k (maximum for my club) anyway. I'm happy he had a change of heart lol...

You'll find a LOT of players (especially those with decent business acumen or agents) will request higher wages at times, however if you don't think they're appropriate try negotiating and they'll often drop them down ... sometimes quite a lot.

The easiest example to give is a young player at a non-league club; if Chelsea came in to sign him in real-life he'd REALLY want to join them and on considerably more than the 60UKP he might be on at his current club ... however while he might initially ask for a 'competitive' amount he's unlikely to want to blow the transfer so will be likely to accept less if he feels its reasonable (if he feels they're being insulting (ie. offering him 500UKP a week when the other kids in the team are on 3-4k then he might be confident enough to wait for another chance to move, depends on the player).

For example I remember watching Man U snap up with world class player for like 11 mil (something like that) and when I checked his profile once he had signed he was valued at like 29 million right of the bat, really! quite obvious cheating from a game aspect.

It's not cheating, you could have bid for the player if you had known about him and had wanted to.

It's totally normal for a player's "value" on their profile to "reset" when they move clubs and/or sign a new contract. It's very easy to find undervalued players, especially in lower leagues, who, when you (or anyone) buys them, their value shoots up ten fold.

For example, when I was playing in the lower leagues on my game, it was quite common that I would find a good player who was "worth" only a few thousand. I bid for him, and some bigger clubs come in and the bidding war gets totally our of hand, beyond my reach. He signs for a Premier League or Championship club for several hundred thousand pounds, so it seems like they have massively over-paid, but when he actually moves, his profile "value" is now in the low millions.

A player's value changes massively depending on which club he is at and what his contract looks like. The big club is not under as much pressure to sell a player as a small club, so the player's value increases.

It's economics.

EDIT: It also goes the other way, I often sell players down to lower-league teams and their value plummets. For example a player has become 4th or 5th choice in his position in my team, so I want to get rid of him. His profile "value" is about 500k. I transfer list him and an offer comes in below his value, lets say 250k. I want rid of him so I accept. When the transfer goes through, his profile "value" at his new team is only 100k. So clearly I got a good deal for him, and was right to accept that offer.

When I am competing with the big clubs for top players, I offer what is required (fee or wages) to secure the signature and then when the player 'decides to join' my club, I cancel the transfer. I then submit a new offer for the same player. The clubs that were competing before don't come back, and I end up signing the player for a lower fee and lower wage.

I would call this cheating, and should be fixed in a future update.

I see what your both saying. My issue isn't really with the transfer fee, I find - at least for the players I'm going for - they are fairly reasonable so long as there is no bidding war.

But the amount of money the players want to sign a contract with my club is what I have an issue with.

There's a difference between what the player asks for and what he will accept.

My rule of thumb is that I look at what ever increase the player is asking for and then half it. That will be my first offer.

So in your example Turner was earning 13k and asked for 88k. That's an increase of 75k, half of which is 37.5k. So my inital offer to him would be about 50k. Some player's will not accept this, and you can continue to negotiate with them, but most will accept it straight away, as he did in your case.

So it wasn't a change of heart, he was just negotiating the best possible deal for himself.

I have even had bids accepted for players who wouldn't even name a price because they were convinced that I couldn't afford them. In some (rare) cases you just offer the best deal you possibly can and they accept it.

You'll find a LOT of players (especially those with decent business acumen or agents) will request higher wages at times, however if you don't think they're appropriate try negotiating and they'll often drop them down ... sometimes quite a lot.

The easiest example to give is a young player at a non-league club; if Chelsea came in to sign him in real-life he'd REALLY want to join them and on considerably more than the 60UKP he might be on at his current club ... however while he might initially ask for a 'competitive' amount he's unlikely to want to blow the transfer so will be likely to accept less if he feels its reasonable (if he feels they're being insulting (ie. offering him 500UKP a week when the other kids in the team are on 3-4k then he might be confident enough to wait for another chance to move, depends on the player).

So do agents exist in this game Marc? I guess they are just behind the scenes? i.e. some players will simply negotiate harder than others?

It would be a fine addition to the game if you could bring them forward a bit, so we can understand better why a player is asking for so much.

It's not cheating, you could have bid for the player if you had known about him and had wanted to.

It's totally normal for a player's "value" on their profile to "reset" when they move clubs and/or sign a new contract. It's very easy to find undervalued players, especially in lower leagues, who, when you (or anyone) buys them, their value shoots up ten fold.

For example, when I was playing in the lower leagues on my game, it was quite common that I would find a good player who was "worth" only a few thousand. I bid for him, and some bigger clubs come in and the bidding war gets totally our of hand, beyond my reach. He signs for a Premier League or Championship club for several hundred thousand pounds, so it seems like they have massively over-paid, but when he actually moves, his profile "value" is now in the low millions.

A player's value changes massively depending on which club he is at and what his contract looks like. The big club is not under as much pressure to sell a player as a small club, so the player's value increases.

It's economics.

EDIT: It also goes the other way, I often sell players down to lower-league teams and their value plummets. For example a player has become 4th or 5th choice in his position in my team, so I want to get rid of him. His profile "value" is about 500k. I transfer list him and an offer comes in below his value, lets say 250k. I want rid of him so I accept. When the transfer goes through, his profile "value" at his new team is only 100k. So clearly I got a good deal for him, and was right to accept that offer.

Mate, I have bought players and they didn't go up in price that like, anyway doesn't really matter. I can't be bothered with it, along with the Man City and Chelsea buying up everyone and winning everything the game is flawed. I am going to buy the PC version to see if it is any different.

Mate, I have bought players and they didn't go up in price that like, anyway doesn't really matter. I can't be bothered with it, along with the Man City and Chelsea buying up everyone and winning everything the game is flawed. I am going to buy the PC version to see if it is any different.

They will only go up in price like that if they are really "worth" more than you paid for them. It's important to scout many, many players and submit many bids until you find players who can improve your team and you can afford. It can be frustrating to lose out on players, but it happens, and it makes it all the more satisfying when you do succeed.

I can't comment on how it is to compete with the likes of City and Chelsea, as I haven't been promoted to the Premier League yet, but to me the game seems just as easy as ever. I have made my way up from Skrill North to Championship level in 4 seasons changing clubs only once, and just finished my first season in which I wasn't challenging for promotion - I finished mid-table with an Accrington Stanley side I led to two successive promotions from League Two. This season I expect promotion again. Then I will be in the Premier League and will be able to comment better on what it's like to compete at the top end of the transfer market.

EDIT:

Just to give an idea, here are the most "valuable" players in my current squad:

Josh Parry, bought for £900k, now worth £4.3m

Didac Martin, Bosman Transfer, now worth £3.2m

Nikola Nikolovski, bought for £925k, now worth £3.1m

Michael Collins, bought for £60k, now worth £2.8m (a 46.7 fold increase!)

Ivor Lawton, Free Agent, now worth £2.5m

Ryan Grimes, bought for £170k, now worth £2.4m

Grant Hamill, Bosman Transfer, now worth £2.3m

Ryan Magee, bought for £400k, now worth £1.7m

Ricardo Vadillo, Bosman Transfer, now worth £1.6m

Mateusz Taudul, Free Agent, now worth £1.4m

Shaun Marshall, Bosman Transfer, now worth £1.4m

Cole Stockton, bought for £230k, now worth £1.1m

Robbert Esajas, Bosman Transfer, now worth £1m

My calculator tells me that I spent £2,685,000 and these players are now worth a combined £28.8 million. I have never spent as much as £1 million on a single player (in this save), my most expensive purchase is Nikola Nikolovski you see above.

Just to be clear, I am not recommending any of these players for purchase (almost all of them are regens), I'm just pointing out how their "value" can increase several-fold immedately after you buy them. Parry, Nikolovski, Lawton, Taudul and Stockton are the ones I bought in the most recent transfer window (1-2 months ago). They have collectively increased in value over six-fold on average (from £2,055,000 to £12,400,000). Even discounting the freebies (Lawton and Taudul), the other three increased four fold on average (from £2,055,000 to £8,500,000).

I started this season with a wage budget £78,000 per week (zero transfer budget). By selling four players who I felt were over-valued by the game, or who I received inflated offers for, I've increased my wage budget up to £170,000. It's very easy to trade your way up into the millions when you know how.

Hi guys,

Yes I found the Chelsea and Man City 'bug' a bit overbearing. They literally were involved in tens of transfers I bid in over my first few season at Spurs often trumping my bid or signing the player when the fee was agreed. I'm happy to agree this can happen but not in the volume I experienced especially as they had a big squad already and several players in the same position.

I also had Pogba from Juve for Spurs and had him ask for 3 pay rises in the same season even as the top earner??

• SI Staff
So do agents exist in this game Marc? I guess they are just behind the scenes? i.e. some players will simply negotiate harder than others?

It would be a fine addition to the game if you could bring them forward a bit, so we can understand better why a player is asking for so much.

Agents exist in 'concept' that is the game looks at the reputation of a player combined with their ambition and from that decides if they have an agent representing them (in which case they're likely to negotiate more aggressively) - this is however offset in some cases by a players loyalty (ie. a loyal player will be more likely to want to stay and deal fairly with a club) and whether they like the club or manager in question.

I agree this can possibly be made more 'obvious' (and I'll try and do so in a future update/version) - however at the same time I don't want it to be blatant when you can possibly force down a bid, working this sort of thing out and ensuring you get a 'fair' deal is part of management and satisfying for people when they work it out imho.

• SI Staff
yep no new news there, I bought this game just the other day for my ipad and have watched Chelsea and Man City buy "everyone" with aparently unlimited funds so it would seem. Second season worse, most of the best players were snapped up by either Chelsea and or man City, got old real quick. Even as the Gunners I couldn't compete with the transfers unfolding in the game, huge money and wages. :-(

Arsenal really aren't the team to take on if you're trying to compete with Man City or Chelsea on transfer budget or wages tbh, that being said I'd be very surprised if they bought 'everyone' and if they make more than 5-6 highish (10m+) signings in a season then it'd be out of the ordinary in most games.

I am tuning things a little for update to in order to ensure that clubs who spend heavily during a season don't get quite as big a budget next season (at present for ALL clubs including humans ones budgets tend to refresh a little too quickly if you spend heavily during a season with top clubs) - I'm also (as always) happy to recieve any save games you might have where you feel clubs are over-spending hugely.

Archived