[FM14] The U's and Me

kris0710

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQogY7oLwcLb5gkt3ucS8bqSczj7kn5HdAb_rJ8Mypp_AlI6cizLA

Cambridge United Football Club

Skrill Premier 2019/20

November

cam-res-nov19_zps7bfd9f63.png

Another solid month where early and late goals were key. Two subs struck late on to see off Macclesfield while Howe came off the bench to score the leveller against Woking before a free kick gave Lloyd James his first goal for the club. At Ebbsfleet it was our turn to be done by the late winner with Clive Chaplin striking in the 88th minute. Dropped two points against Braintree and ended well with a tight win against Colchester.

cam-tab-nov19_zpse85fae01.png

FA Cup

cam-fac-nov19_zpse1d876dd.png

Three down in 25 minutes we did well to survive a battering. A huge crowd at Stadium of Light means we end November with a bank balance of £223,451!

FA Trophy

cam-fat-nov19_zps1442b15e.png

Nice home win with the young strikers on form again. Dafydd now has 19 in 19 while Pauley has scored 5 in 13 with 4 assists.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Skrill Premier 2019/20

December

cam-res-dec19_zpse317ee3a.png

Ten points from twelve and I'm still not happy...Why? Bradford away. 2-0 up, Bradford have a man sent of, Roberts headers in a third. Game, set and matcccccccc.........Ah. There we going giving away three goals and collecting just a point. To top it off Dafydd picks up an injury expected to keep him out for two months. The rest of the month went brilliantly including our own fightback at AFC Telford storming back from two down at the break. January will prove tough as the first two games are Kidderminster and Welling.

cam-tab-dec19_zps6f016580.png

FA Trophy

cam-fat-dec19_zps18038316.png

Avenged the league defeat in November to grab a home tie with Skrill South side Sutton.

Skrill Premier 2019/20

January

cam-res-jan20_zpsb2c12952.png

What a start to the New Year beating the two sides around us with ease. Well beaten at Aldershot conceding 4 inside 26 minutes then the derby win over Luton saw two draws end the month

cam-tab-jan20_zps4c5cf6da.png

Still way of the pace set by Welling.

FA Trophy

cam-fat-jan20_zpsb7c30981.png

No final this year with us putting in a dreadful second half showing.

Record

cam-record-jan20_zps115b6c88.png

Skrill Premier 2019/20

End of Season

Skrill Premier

Champions! Need I say more. Never lower than ninth all season long and we filled a play-off spot from game 20 onwards. Hit the top twice, game 40 and most importantly game 46.

FA Cup

Who cares, we won the league!!

FA Trophy

*As Above*

Finances

For the first season we have not needed to rely on a cash injection from the board. Sat with a bank balance of -£28,993

Squad

Five of the current first team squad are leaving this summer. Rene Howe has signed a pre-contract with Sligo Rovers and will leave having contributed 60 league goals in 120 games, one of my best signings. His haul of 14 goals and 20 assists were vital to our title charge. The second of our experienced strikers are being shown the door also. Chris Holroyd never really got a look in this season and at 33 he is on the decline. Scored 69 league goals in 180 league games since re-signing for the club in 2014. He leaves as the clubs all time record league scorer with 91 goals over two spells. Young keeper Joshua Banthorpe has been pushing for a move for the best part of three years but now he gets his wish. The 22 year old joined the club in 2013 and featured 18 times in the Skrill Premier. The final two players out joined last summer and were very much bit part players. Eamonn Costello could not break into the first team making just nine starts while winger Stuart Price featured even less, just one start and one sub appearance.

Seasons Honours:

Premier League : Champions: Manchester City Champions League: Manchester United, Arsenal and Liverpool Relegated: West Ham, Leicester and Wigan

Championship: Champions: Blackpool Promoted: Crystal Palace and Watford Relegated: Sheffield Wednesday, Gillingham and Birmingham

League One: Champions: Crewe Promoted: Sunderland and Yeovil Relegated: Tranmere, Fleetwood, Burton and Rochdale

League Two: Champions: Plymouth Promoted: Stevenage, Wrexham and Coventry Relegated: Cheltenham and Altrincham

Skrill Premier: Champions: Cambridge United Promoted: Kidderminster Relegated: Tamworth, Boston Ebbsfleet and Woking

Skrill North: Champions: Morecambe Promoted: Worcester Relegated: Marine, Vauxhall and Rushall

Skrill South: Champions: Dover Promoted: Havant & W Relegated: Bognor Regis, Maidstone and Dorchester

FA Cup: Winners: Arsenal Runners Up: Reading

League Cup: Winners: Cardiff Runners Up: Arsenal

Community Shield: Winners: Arsenal Runners Up: Southampton

JPT: Winners: MK Dons Runners Up: Preston

FA Trophy: Winners: Bradford Runners Up: Exeter

Champions League: Winners: Man Utd Runners Up: Real Madrid

Euro Cup: Winners: Lyon Runners Up: Monaco

Super Cup: Winners: Man Utd Runners Up: Schalke

|Season | Club | Division | Position | FA Cup | FA Trophy | Other |
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
|2013/14 | Cambridge United | Skrill Premier | 18th | 4th Quali. | 1st Round Replay | |
|2014/15 | Cambridge United | Skrill Premier | 10th | 4th Quali. | 2nd Round Replay | |
|2015/16 | Cambridge United | Skrill Premier | 20th | 1st Round | 1st Round | |
|2016/17 | Cambridge United | Skrill Premier | 17th | 4th Quali. Replay | 3rd Round | |
|2017/18 | Cambridge United | Skrill Premier | 8th | 4th Quali. | 1st Round | |
|2018/19 | Cambridge United | Skrill Premier | 14th | 1st ROund Replay | Runners Up | |
|2019/20 | Cambridge United | Skrill Premier | 1st | 1st Round | 3rd Round | |

Cracking read. Keep up the good work, as one other poster commented, this is much easier to relate to rather than the super quick success stories we see all the time.

Really looking forward to seeing if you get stuffed next season! :thup:

Thanks very much. Given the lack of activity in pre season at the moment I would gladly take a 22nd place finish!!

Skrill Premier 2020/21

Pre Season

Expectations:

Sky Bet League Two: Avoid relegation

FA Cup: First Round

Capital Cup: Be competitive

Johnstone's Paint Trophy: Be competitive

Season Budgets:

Transfers: £0

Wages: £23,770 per week

Wages Spend: £23,546

Transfers:

cam-trans-jul20_zps9c12ab78.png

Very quiet summer with the budgets not being increased much at all. Just two loanees coming in who will play back up t the players I have already. Chris Holroyd decided to retire and has taken up a coaching role with us.

Andre Bennett

Stephen King

Results

cam-res-jul20_zps20a00bd9.png

Another strong pre season, winning the games we should with plenty of goals. The two forwards hit 14 between which is promising.

Cup

We have been drawn at home to Championship side Bournemouth in the Capital One Cup which is also going to be televised.

Congratulations! That's a hell of a last day, scrolling down I thought there was no way Kidderminster would blow it so badly. At this point I guess you'd take another long series of mid-table finishes.

To think you were bemoaning your lack of managerial awards in my thread just yesterday too!

Congrats on the promotion. Been well worth the wait, great patience to stick around see it through :) Hopefully you can soon catch up and overtake P'boro :thup:

cam-youth-may20_zpsc4234c81.png

That doesn't surprise me one bit. Typical Cambridge :( Can remember when their youth system closed in real life like a decade ago, they had some top prospects that all left so they need to get back reinvesting in it!

Congratulations! That's a hell of a last day, scrolling down I thought there was no way Kidderminster would blow it so badly. At this point I guess you'd take another long series of mid-table finishes.

To think you were bemoaning your lack of managerial awards in my thread just yesterday too!

I think commenting on your thread is a good luck charm, I will be making mundane comments daily! Kiddy travelled to much improved Luton in the final away game and once they won that I thought we were for the play-offs. So much so during our Colchester game I didn't even check their score!

Congrats on the promotion. Been well worth the wait, great patience to stick around see it through :) Hopefully you can soon catch up and overtake P'boro :thup:That doesn't surprise me one bit. Typical Cambridge :( Can remember when their youth system closed in real life like a decade ago, they had some top prospects that all left so they need to get back reinvesting in it!

Would love to continue on and overtake Posh! I was an assistant referee for a Cambridge u16 game just before the youth system was scrapped and within about two months I refereed a Posh youth game and about eight of the Cambridge lads were in their team. It must have been like Christmas for Peterborough, a pick of the talent.

Now that's how to do a much improved season!

Wasn't bad was it! :D

Congratulations!! was beginning to think it'd never happen

You and me both!

Yey!! great job on promotion and actually winning the league!! What happened to Welling?? A complete choke!

Did not for a second think we would win the league. Nearly dropped my laptop when I saw we had. In fairness to Welling they seemed to have the same problem that we did the season before. Getting to the FA Trophy Final we couldn't cope with the constant run of Saturday/Tuesday games and that was the same for Welling. They ended up losing in semi final but from February they lost eight league games, five of which were in midweek following wins in a Saturday. Two of the Saturday defeats were away at Kidderminster in a real top of the table clash and the final day against playoff chasing Aldershot.

Guest El Payaso

Congratulations! I told you so. We're in the same situation currently as I was able to gain promotion with Boston. And we've started the season very well. Hopefully the same thing happens to you. And hopefully you didn't mess up the contracts like I did. :D (If you haven't read it, you can find it from here: http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/371729-FM14-The-Skrill-Premier-North-amp-South-thread/page3)

Congratulations! I told you so. We're in the same situation currently as I was able to gain promotion with Boston. And we've started the season very well. Hopefully the same thing happens to you. And hopefully you didn't mess up the contracts like I did. :D (If you haven't read it, you can find it from here: http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/371729-FM14-The-Skrill-Premier-North-amp-South-thread/page3)

A couple of my star men had wage rises and promotion rises which has hit us a little but on the other hand my squad is littered with young players who hardly get an appearance fee let alone other bonuses. The spine of my team almost get whatever they ask for but they are here for three or four years on that contract unless they request a transfer. The 'unused sub' bonus is the one that catches me out more than any other, you don't realise how much that totals sometimes.

Seven of my squad have yearly wage rises and just the one has a promotion increase.

Now I have 14 squad members whose unused sub bonus is less than £100 and that is saving me money all over the place. Luckily Dafydd is only on a £90 goal bonus!!

Sky Bet League Two 2020/21

August

cam-res-aug20_zpsdf201562.png

That we do me for a first five games although we perhaps should have had an extra point! The season kicked off with two first half headers from Adam Pauley followed by a second half of defend, defend, defend, holding out until the 90th minute. We were well beaten at Southend despite taking the lead. A Kavanagh own goal then two second half goals sent us home pointless. Fell behind to Swindon but three goals before half time gave us a second home win with Pauley again scoring twice before limping off. That injury kept him out of the Rochdale game and already our lack of experience upfront shows with 19 year old Dafydd being partnered by 16 year old Russ Greenway making his full debut. Although Greenway didn't score he certainly shone. Our first month ended with defeat which saw Walsall score in the 86th and 89th minutes to take all the points.

cam-tab-aug20_zps180bbfa5.png

Capital One Cup

cam-lc-aug20_zpsbe0c9ef1.png

No disgrace in that result.

September

cam-res-sept20_zps95f84af5.png

Yet another frustrating month where our lack of ability to see out games has cost us. To think i'm unhappy with an unbeaten month is ridiculous. Already blew the chance of a point in August at Walsall with two late goals conceded we travelled to York and led 1-0 until the 84th minute. Top scorer Adam Pauley then restored our lead in the 89th minute when we allowed former Cambridge midfielder Brian Hamilton race through and level in the 91st minute. Leaders and unbeaten so far Burton came to the Abbey Stadium and were put away with relative ease, although again we conceded a stoppage time goal. A trip to then leaders Northampton followed but AGAIN we conceded past the 90 minute mark to drop points. The month ended with a whipping of bottom side Bury and in a game where conceding late would not have mattered we kept a clean sheet!

cam-tab-sept20_zpsbc91aaeb.png

Brilliant to be 4th but we should be top!

Johnstone's Paint Trophy

cam-jpt-sept20_zps36b5290c.png

Avenged the league defeat with ease and have a home tie with Northampton next.

Transfers

First team squad members Andy Uwins and Kurtis March have joined Aldershot and Gateshead on a months loan. Neither player has featured so far this season so a month in the Skrill Premier is just what they need.

October

cam-res-oct20_zpsd089c102.png

Another cracker of a month sees us surprise everyone including me. Russ Greenway struck treble to beat off Scunthorpe that stuck us top of the table. Hosting 4th place Portsmouth we battled through an entertaining game to clinch the points. Two draws that should have been wins followed with us battering Rotherham but unable to score then blowing a 3-0 lead at fellow high fliers Kidderminster. Ending October with a solid win over Hartlepool keeps us magnificently placed.

cam-tab-oct20_zps3327d5fd.png

FA Cup

cam-fac-oct20_zps06a5f7ae.png

Disappointing defeat to league rivals avenged us dumping them out of the JPT.

Johnstone's Paint Trophy

cam-jpt-oct20_zps37e05143.png

Great start was enough to see off the Cobblers and earn a home tie with Portsmouth in the Southern Quarter Final.

Great start. Maybe that extra time you spent in the Skrill Premier was actually a blessing?

Yeah I think so. Looking at the squad many of them have been here for at least years, maybe I should have been more ruthless to start with. Sticking with Spillane and Last for too long amongst others. Bringing some decent young lads through which is a bonus.

Got to say this is most disappointing. Top of the table? Where's the thrashings and humiliation? Far too much use of the word 'great' at the minute.

Out of interest I presume this is with the new patch 14.2.0?

September 16th onwards and October were played today, all before that were played in a mammoth session while watching the cricket on Tuesday morning.

I'm sure the thrashings are on the way, injuries are setting in now so i'm constantly seeing the phrase 'Cambridge down to bare bones'

November

cam-res-nov20_zps64099153.png

Our first 'poor' month yet just the one defeat, well, hammering. Struggled to field the same team in successive matches due to plenty of injury problems but luckily whether it be on the left or right wing Enda Fallon stepped up.

cam-tab-nov20_zps6e6072da.png

Johnstone's Paint Trophy

cam-jpt-nov20_zps69113b46.png

Penalty defeat but the best team won through on the night. A 7-6 defeat with defender Bonner missing the only spot kick.

Jobs

cam-burton-nov20_zps201ad7a2.png

Attended but was never interested.

December

cam-res-dec20_zps4e55f19d.png

Some good results there just falling away as the games come thick and fast. Injuries really are taking its toll and I can't think the last time I was able to put out my best eleven. We kicked off with a comfortable win at Grimsby then a strong second half showing at home to much improved Bolton. Came back from the dead against Accrington scoring twice late on. The wheels come off a little after that with only a point to Southend and falling three down at Fleetwood before we actually started playing.

cam-tab-dec20_zpsca0d48f1.png

January

cam-res-jan21_zps50b51a63.png

On paper a tough month, one we have come through really well. Only the one defeat to a rampant Burton side who scored four and hit the woodwork five times! Players are starting to return to fitness apart from Mingoia who is out for another 8 weeks with a torn hamstring.

cam-tab-jan21_zps3056d174.png

Awards

cam-pom-jan21_zps73bc203f.png

Transfers

In

Jermaine Grandison - On loan from Sunderland until the end of the season. Much needed now following the sale of a centre back

Danny Rose - Also in from Sunderland on loan another forward was needed as Pauley and Greenway have struggled with injuries this month

Out

Andy Uwins - Transfer deadline came and a bid from Scottish giants Rangers came in. Initially rejected Uwins became unhappy and refused to discuss a new deal. As third choice centre back decided to try and get the best deal for Cambridge as we did when Cameron Scott left for Middlesbrough in 2019. For Uwins we got £30k up front, £500 pm for the next year, a friendly and 50% of his next transfer fee. Not a bad deal for a player who has made just 35 appearances in three years.

Excellent, another promotion could be on the cards :thup:

We are looking strong at the moment. Was worried I would lose Dafydd in the transfer window as Southampton are always watching him or taking to the press about him but luckily not.

February

cam-res-feb21_zps6ceebbd0.png

Good start, bad end. After defeat to leaders Portsmouth I was more concerned with 3rd place Mansfield losing to 4th placed Swindon.

cam-tab-feb21_zpsb8ac8ce0.png

Swindon are joining the race for a top 3 finish.

March

cam-res-mar21_zpsf193b1fc.png

Unbeaten but could really have done with a win or two more. The worst news this month was both Rhodri Roberts and John Dafydd wanting to move to bigger clubs. Could be a big summer for us.

cam-tab-mar21_zps1766522a.png

Bit of a gap to 4th, it's in our hands.

400 up

cam-400-mar21_zps68006c0e.png

Youth Candidates

cam-youth-mar21_zps5ca08046.png

Really wish we could improve our youth structure but its a no go.

Jernade Kennedy

Callum Whitbread

Shaun Haigh

5 games left, im sure you can hold out for back-to-back promotion.

Started April with a draw and a defeat....

Looking like you will manage back to back promotions! Perhaps Dafydd and Roberts will want to stay if you are promoted!

Already promised Dafydd that and it wasn't good enough. Roberts i'm 50/50 on, showing no signs of wanting to stay.

Excellent, not quite there yet but getting close.

Very close....

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQogY7oLwcLb5gkt3ucS8bqSczj7kn5H  dAb_rJ8Mypp_AlI6cizLA

April and May

cam-res-apr21_zps0aa2962e.png

cam-promoted-apr21_zpsf3bc75a3.png

cam-table-apr21_zps1ece156d.png

All I know is that if John Dafydd decides to leave he will leave in the best possible way. The 92nd minute of the final game he scores his 50th goal in just 78 appearances and it's not a bad finish...

[video=youtube;vO1bD3OVKhU]

Archived