[FM14] The U's and Me

kris0710

Kris, really really enjoyed this thread! What an achievement! I look forward to seeing how Jim Woodward gets on in your new thread!

Thank you, it is a shame it has come to an end but i didn't want the manager age to become too unrealistic. Should get a decent 25/30 years out of Woodward. Didn't want to stick to just England so maybe he will be more of a journeyman.

Awesome thread and one of the best career stories that I have ever read for an FM game. Very enjoyable and probably the best time to go as you had done so much with a single team. Letting the AI take over and ruin...I mean manage Cambridge will be most interesting but thanks again for posting all of this, it has been really good.

The AI are already ruining it. After so long with me there the new manager lasted just a year, he joined Real Madrid. With Abraham Garcia gone and me signing two players the squad looks very different. Midfielder Filipe was released a year ago with Thomas, Luis and Varao also being sold on. This summer also they have just sold O'Malley to Barcelona for £26.5m and Fagni to Juventus for £16.5m. Thats over £140m brought in this year alone.

Thanks for the kind words, it has been my best career by a mile. If i hadn't won the league so well i think i would have stayed. The temptation was there to put Woodward or Rowe in charge and keep moving, particularly with Garcia and O'Malley only going to get better. When i created Woodward i applied for the job but didn't get a look in.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Such a great career mate, wish I could have played through all those seasons haha. Well done on the achievement!!
Before this save I never imagined i could play a save for this long. I only wish I had done it sooner to be honest.
Gone out on a great high.
Well I started with a few years of underachieving so seems right to go out overachieiving.

Can you not possibly carry on making a story for this save in sme kind of different form. IE restoring a massive giant that has fallen. possilby doing the whole thing again and then trying to knock Cambridge of their perch (as long as whoever steps in carries o the good work)

etc

etc

Can you not possibly carry on making a story for this save in sme kind of different form. IE restoring a massive giant that has fallen. possilby doing the whole thing again and then trying to knock Cambridge of their perch (as long as whoever steps in carries o the good work)

etc

etc

Keep reading THIS as my aim is to one day take this Cambridge legend back home.

• 2 weeks later...
Just read the whole thing. Wow , what a great story!

That is some effort, thank you. Not sure i would have read the whole thing! It wasn't bad was it, certainly had my moneys worth from FM14.

what happened to the other story in france Kris?
Looks like he's started dafuge's challenge instead.

I had a second save starting dafuge challenge along with the Woodward thread but my laptop decided to take exception to something (weather, the amount of FM time or the such like) and i lost my saves along with loads of other things. The Laptop Doctor gave me the news that my laptop was no more basically so i sit here now with a shiny new one and not a clue where to start!

The news of this expenditure along with the World Cup starting has put me well and truly in the dog house with the Mrs. :) The longer i'm in the doghouse the more FM i can play!!

• 4 weeks later...

Awesome career and a shame it came to an end, but its better to go out on a high than risk going out on a low. I find it funny how the chairmen will fight with you and go as far as willing to sack someone of your statues just because of a stadium upgrade row, I bet in real life no chairmen would risk sacking manager with such success because of the upset not only in the team but also caused by the fans (maybe something to be looked into for FM2015).

Really enjoyed reading your road to success and your struggles to keep pushing in the championship and the early days in the premiership, again a great career and a great read. I look forward to reading your next story now and if it is a journeyman career then that will make for some interesting club stories, good luck bud.

P.S.

Funny how the team with such high success is slowly stripped apart for the money, typical AI managers.

Awesome career and a shame it came to an end, but its better to go out on a high than risk going out on a low. I find it funny how the chairmen will fight with you and go as far as willing to sack someone of your statues just because of a stadium upgrade row, I bet in real life no chairmen would risk sacking manager with such success because of the upset not only in the team but also caused by the fans (maybe something to be looked into for FM2015).

Really enjoyed reading your road to success and your struggles to keep pushing in the championship and the early days in the premiership, again a great career and a great read. I look forward to reading your next story now and if it is a journeyman career then that will make for some interesting club stories, good luck bud.

P.S.

Funny how the team with such high success is slowly stripped apart for the money, typical AI managers.

Thanks Luke, long time no see. Come a long way from your last comments.

It was a shame to end it and looking back i regret it hugely. Have really struggled to settle on a new save. I enjoyed the spat with the chairman, i had a good boss for much of the save but this last one was a bit of a *****.

Only a season in to my new save but i am enjoying it, starts similar to this - underperforming!

The AI really did cash in but i think that would have happened with me i charge. The likes of O'Malley and Garcia would have outgrown what i was willing to pay and getting offers £40m+ would have been tough to turn down as we were still quite restricted financially with only having a stadium that holds 34,500.

• 9 months later...

Well that's 16 hours of my life I'll never get back!!!!

Thankfully it was spent reading and following such a spectacular career.... enjoyed this immensely... congratulations for all you achieved. Fairytale stuff in the end, after many years of hard work and commitment to the cause...

Refreshing to see on here, the lack of absolute success (until it happened :))

More realistic, and reminded me of a twenty year Burton Albion career I had on FM07 which saw me only reach L1 playoffs before I ran out of steam/time...

:thup: :thup: :thup:

Well that's 16 hours of my life I'll never get back!!!!

Thankfully it was spent reading and following such a spectacular career.... enjoyed this immensely... congratulations for all you achieved. Fairytale stuff in the end, after many years of hard work and commitment to the cause...

Refreshing to see on here, the lack of absolute success (until it happened :))

More realistic, and reminded me of a twenty year Burton Albion career I had on FM07 which saw me only reach L1 playoffs before I ran out of steam/time...

:thup: :thup: :thup:

*Insert words as i have none*

I'm staggered anyone has bothered to read through the 16 pages of hell and 2 pages of success! But thank you, it is great to know even one person has enjoyed this 7 months down the line. :thup:

Fairytale is correct, thats how it turned out in the end and Cambridge have themselves a new sorta-fan looking out for them week in week out.

It isn't all plain sailing, failing and underachieving but it does make the rise to the top so much sweeter. It was earned. I find myself reminiscing about old players from the save, 5 in particular.

Rhodri Roberts and John Dafydd - two youngsters plucked from Welsh football in the early days. Roberts was key to our early success and ended up back as staff. Dafydd earning a big money move to Celtic and being a great Championship striker over the years.

Korey Bray and Gareth Rowe - The two best youth products the club had, bringing in over £65m in transfers to Chelsea and PSG, the latter returning years later taking the Goalscoring Record.

And finally Jim Woodward...Loanee from Blackburn in our League One days, a then record signing of £800k who went on to break the Appearance and Goalscoring record. My FM hero bar none.

Memories. :)

So once again thank you for taking 16 hours out of your life to take this in. Very much appreciated.

So once again thank you for taking 16 hours out of your life to take this in. Very much appreciated.

I'm having a bit of a hard time at home, I'm off the ball at work because of it. So I spent all day Friday and all day yesterday reading through it all. I'd caught up with SRL and Dafuge's careers so scoured the pages for a complete career (lots of posts and pages) and yours came up. I actually loaded up FM14 and started a career with the U's over the weeked haha. Only because I didn't fancy any of the other teams so thought why not!! :)

I'm having a bit of a hard time at home, I'm off the ball at work because of it. So I spent all day Friday and all day yesterday reading through it all. I'd caught up with SRL and Dafuge's careers so scoured the pages for a complete career (lots of posts and pages) and yours came up. I actually loaded up FM14 and started a career with the U's over the weeked haha. Only because I didn't fancy any of the other teams so thought why not!! :)

Well I am certain SRL and Dafuge would be just as grateful at the viewing of the threads as i am. :thup:

A new FM14 career with Cambridge? Can we expect to see a thread from yourself? I would follow as long as you promise to do worse than i did at the start! :D

Archived