Football Manager 14 Feedback Thread - 14.1.4

I see the bug where a defender passes back to keeper only for the keeper to run in a different direction has yet to be fixed. Frustrating.

I think this was fixed as it was a known issue. It probably made an unexpected return in the latest build? I'm also keeping an eye on it, because I have seen some careless backpasses.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some of the play in this ME is simply a pleasure to watch, I find I am having to control myself or the wife may send me off to the nut house.

The defending is at times fantastic, 1 off the top of my head is an opposing player is about to take a shot from just inside the box, my player comes flying in with a sliding tackle, the ball breaks to another opposing player he hits it and a player basically throws himself in front of it to block it, it breaks to an opposing player just outside the box and he goes to smash it but my CM is out quick enough, he throws himself into the challenge leaving the opposing player in a heap on the ground and my players break with the ball.

There also seems to be a lot of variation in the attacks, I tell you I had a huge smile on my face when my wingback crossed to my CM who is hovering 25 yards out and he smacked it on the volley straight into the top hand corner, I may upload that 1 to the great goals thread later.

Well done to Paul and his team, best ME ever!

Some of the play in this ME is simply a pleasure to watch, I find I am having to control myself or the wife may send me off to the nut house.

The defending is at times fantastic, 1 off the top of my head is an opposing player is about to take a shot from just inside the box, my player comes flying in with a sliding tackle, the ball breaks to another opposing player he hits it and a player basically throws himself in front of it to block it, it breaks to an opposing player just outside the box and he goes to smash it but my CM is out quick enough, he throws himself into the challenge leaving the opposing player in a heap on the ground and my players break with the ball.

There also seems to be a lot of variation in the attacks, I tell you I had a huge smile on my face when my wingback crossed to my CM who is hovering 25 yards out and he smacked it on the volley straight into the top hand corner, I may upload that 1 to the great goals thread later.

Yeah, this ME makes it worth watching matches in full :)

My young 19 yr old striker back healed the ball to the attacking playmaker on the 18 yd line, who then struck a beaut in the corner, never seen anything like that before in FM.

I'm playing with a mixture of your tactics and my own, seems to work a treat since new update, no tweaking needed.

Where are your defenders relative to the midfield? I only ask because if the midfield is playing higher up because of their roles and mentalities, then the defence has no choice to to push up with them else far too much space will be left and the team shape will be lost.

Right in front of them. Honestly at times Koscielny was almost holding Ramsey's hand.

My young 19 yr old striker back healed the ball to the attacking playmaker on the 18 yd line, who then struck a beaut in the corner, never seen anything like that before in FM.

I'm playing with a mixture of your tactics and my own, seems to work a treat since new update, no tweaking needed.

I have changed my tactics to a 4-2-3-1 with 3 AMCs now, I put it in the tactics thread, it is working really nicely.

Since the update the players seem to be making better choices of passes which really helps in enjoying the game.

Sorry. Do Set Pieces instructions work for you all? Because my goalie keeps ignoring my setting, and same happens on corner kicks and throw-ins.

My goalkeeper is instructed to pass shorter to defenders and I have no issues at all.

There are times when he plays it long, but when that happens it's because the AI has a high line and a front 3 of some description, which limits the safety of him passing to my fullbacks or DCs. In that circumstance, it makes sense for him to go longer, in my opinion.

I don't set set piece instructions, so can't comment on those.

Still some annoying things like too many freak results (5-4, 7-2) but other than that its a massive improvement. You really shouldnt change too much now, for example if the "attacker tries to get a corner and fails" turns into too many goals from crosses again or if all the shots hitting the bar would go in, everything could become a mess again.

I think this is by far the best ME since the new ME was launched with FM 13. Finally the ME shows its potential. Well done.

So ME don't represent really what i see? Individuals errors of my players depends by my tactic? (I'm not joking, seriously, want to understand :) )

When you see lots of individual errors its actially a tactical problem. Has been like this for years (or forever). If your tactics is poorly set up you will still create chances but you will miss open goal shots and so on. Then with a tactics tweak they will suddenly start banging them in the top corner from 30 yards. Makes it a bit harder to actually locate the problem with the tactics, especially in the early days when the ME is a mess. But after updates just using common football sense will get you the results.

The ME is pretty good now after 14.1.4, so just make a new tactics from scratch from sound football principles and the results will come.

My goalkeeper is instructed to pass shorter to defenders and I have no issues at all.

There are times when he plays it long, but when that happens it's because the AI has a high line and a front 3 of some description, which limits the safety of him passing to my fullbacks or DCs. In that circumstance, it makes sense for him to go longer, in my opinion.

I don't set set piece instructions, so can't comment on those.

Thanks for replying. Yeah I understand sometimes the GK is forced for a long kick, but I instructed him to pass to my FB, a player I used to see waiting for the ball under the D-Line. This never happened even after 3 seasons of play.

Thanks for replying. Yeah I understand sometimes the GK is forced for a long kick, but I instructed him to pass to my FB, a player I used to see waiting for the ball under the D-Line. This never happened even after 3 seasons of play.

Sounds strange. There are no recently reported bugs in the Bugs Forum of this type.

Bear in mind that goalkeeper distribution was improved in 14.1.4 ("- Full backs come a bit deeper to offer keeper pass in 4 man defences when long kicks not instructed") which was only released last night, I assume you haven't played 3 seasons since then?! Do you have a back four? I assume so as you mention a full back.

Watch a few more games in the update, and if you feel that things are still wrong, please upload a .pkm to the Bugs Forum, and mention specifically the times at which you feel the goalkeeper kicked long, or passed elsewhere, when your full back is in space and not under pressure.

Just had an offer on one of my players of 1.7 million DKK - But since I play with some rules for my self to increase the challenge, I choose to reduce the price to 1.2 million DKK. After this they chose to withdraw their offer.. Makes absolute no sense at all! (There was not any clauses of any kind in the offer)

Sounds strange. There are no recently reported bugs in the Bugs Forum of this type.

Bear in mind that goalkeeper distribution was improved in 14.1.4 ("- Full backs come a bit deeper to offer keeper pass in 4 man defences when long kicks not instructed") which was only released last night, I assume you haven't played 3 seasons since then?! Do you have a back four? I assume so as you mention a full back.

Watch a few more games in the update, and if you feel that things are still wrong, please upload a .pkm to the Bugs Forum, and mention specifically the times at which you feel the goalkeeper kicked long, or passed elsewhere, when your full back is in space and not under pressure.

Yeah I haven't played 3 seasons since the release after the patch apparently :) and yes I play with 4 def at the back. Let's see what happens in the future.

However we're focusing on GK distribution that is only 1/3 of the whole "set pieces" issue. Already uploaded pkms as you surely noticed ('cause you replied on a thread of mine there! :D)

When you see lots of individual errors its actially a tactical problem. Has been like this for years (or forever). If your tactics is poorly set up you will still create chances but you will miss open goal shots and so on. Then with a tactics tweak they will suddenly start banging them in the top corner from 30 yards. Makes it a bit harder to actually locate the problem with the tactics, especially in the early days when the ME is a mess. But after updates just using common football sense will get you the results.

The ME is pretty good now after 14.1.4, so just make a new tactics from scratch from sound football principles and the results will come.

I don´t believe that this is the case and if it really works this way, then it this game should not be called football manager.

Browing this forum i see people saying - if you dont do realistic how can game be realistic?

i do not agree here

It have never been a problem before, as far as I remember. And I have played like this for a couple of years now..

But no matter what, it still don't make any sense..

I don´t believe that this is the case and if it really works this way, then it this game should not be called football manager.

What? Maybe if you're Harry Redknapp, but are you seriously saying that because you have to tweak tactics, it shouldn't be called Football Manager?

We're looking into this, thanks for raising.

Thanks.

Can you please be more specific as to which tutorials you're experiencing this problem with and specifically when during each? I believe they should all be working fine from a fresh boot of the game as long as you carefully follow the instructions without going off on any tangent. In any case, please let us know more details about your issue on the UI bugs forum (http://community.sigames.com/forumdisplay.php/368-User-Interface).

Already done posts #7-#9 here: http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/368178-14.1.0.437109-Can-t-complete-Transfer-Tutorial

and here: http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/375771-Crash-but-not-a-crash!

The problems were before the last update, I've kept away from them since the weird crash.

Players seem to be much more happy to concede a corner now. In my last game I had 22 corners for my team, in the one before - 16... Used to be like 5-10 per game before.

I'm not actually complaining, it's just the numbers seem a bit steep :)

All in all - good patch.

ME seems very good.

My wingers still get a lot of chances (but that was also the case in previous FM editions), but now through smart positioning/smart runs and good passing from midfielders. Not through dribbling and defenders not pressing like in 14.1.3.

Corners seem to be more realistic.

I'm not yet sure headers have been improved, but that's because I haven't really payed attention to that yet. In 14.1.3 it seemed all headers on goal were either straight or upwards, never downwards, I hope this has been improved.

Seems a lot better overall :)

I'm not forameuss, but I've read your comment a few times and it makes absolutely no sense. What were you trying to say?

I responded to comment which was suggesting that players miss chances because poor tactics and that it is the way the game tells you something is wrong. I said that if it is the case then it is wrong and it shoudl not be called football manager because this is not how football works.

Not knee jerking but noticed something a bit iffy after I played three today (on extended as always) since I got the update; results 3-3, 5-2 and 4-3 and my keepers been lobbed about 5 times where he's been basically Schmeichel/ Phillipe Albert'ed every time. Also noticed the corners now going far post too like others so they may have been tweaked a bit too much in the opposite direction as defending was after beta. I'll keep an eye on it and see how it gets on.

it's just a first impression, since i've to admit that playing a full season made me change my mind even about the previous update...anyway, i'm having strong defending games on both sides, few goals and few shots, really nice. one thing that i noted with the defence, never seen before in any fm...when a defender is facing an opposite player, moreover on the flanks, at a certain moment one of his mates goes to double the marking of the opposite ball carrier...it's a really great improvement, even if i've seen it resulting in my centre-back leaving his position to go on help of the full-back on the flank, thus resulting in a hole promptly exploited by the AI...that's because the defenders are still quite 'waiters' when chasing the ball carrier, they run too much beside him withouth blocking nor tackling, even when they're 2 vs 1...and this often results in the opposite ball carrier able to put a good cross or a good pass inside the area...

Only just bought the game, and therefor not able to make a comparison between this version and its predecessor. Though I feel I do not have a whole lot of influence on the way my team performs (is it possible to switch back to the sliders for tactical decisions?) the ME seems very smooth and close to flawless. There's only three things I've noticed which seem a bit off;

1. I average about 4/5 shots hitting the woodwork per game. Must be a bug of some sort?

2. The game is a bit too easy, as far as I can judge from this point. Although I changed my Ajax side completely, selling loads of players and replacing them with talented youngsters, I've won the first 12 league games and 2 Champions League matches. All this despite team gelling and lack of experience.

3. With that same Ajax side I've managed to purchase a couple of wonderkids off the European giants, for example Januzaj from United. Not very realistic.

Besides these points I am very impressed with the game and enjoying every bit of it. Good job SI.

(I was very critical of FM2013, hence only buying FM2014 game after the first big update.)

I swear this game will be the death of me..

Yes these games were every bit as stressful as they sound.. my last 2 games with 3 games left to play, not sure my heart can take it!

m4fw.jpg

Steam screenshot http://cloud-2.steampowered.com/ugc/469795002232652717/D9F55E7B90F499E8E24B12D5B4F0CF1568B8960E/

tejy.jpg

Steam screenshot http://cloud-3.steampowered.com/ugc/469795002232658197/7A55FD8CAA570B4F3100C73870699B8D3011EF15/

League table with 3 to play..

xcv2.jpg

Steam screenshot http://cloud-2.steampowered.com/ugc/469795002232662971/EEEC6F1F7F455CB2BDC9089B2B64F70E07154C7F/

All that and I still have Dortmund and Leverkusen to play away from home!

Seriously I am worried for my health. :D

Very, very good job, SI!!

ME is now very realistic and engaging.

It 's very challenging as tactics, but this is a great value.

Maybe too many shots hit the wood, a little tweak to tune down this issue is required.

Thanks for your amazing work.

Being rubbish at the game, the difficulty level for me is just about right, but when I see daylight's team top of the Bundesliga in 2017 when they were a lower league team at the start, plus Tactical Genius taking Enfield from the Skrill South to the Europa League in successive seasons, it does seem as though the game is ridiculously easy for a lot of people.

In my opinion, neither of those two examples should really be possible until a good few more years into the game. There's a guy on another forum I go onto who has led Hibs to the SPL title, miles clear of Celtic, in the first season. There's no way that should be possible.

That's a disappointing aspect for me, as it may lead to SI making the game a lot more difficult next year, which will personally destroy me :lol:

Being rubbish at the game, the difficulty level for me is just about right, but when I see daylight's team top of the Bundesliga in 2017 when they were a lower league team at the start, plus Tactical Genius taking Enfield from the Skrill South to the Europa League in successive seasons, it does seem as though the game is ridiculously easy for a lot of people.

In my opinion, neither of those two examples should really be possible until a good few more years into the game. There's a guy on another forum I go onto who has led Hibs to the SPL title, miles clear of Celtic, in the first season. There's no way that should be possible.

That's a disappointing aspect for me, as it may lead to SI making the game a lot more difficult next year, which will personally destroy me :lol:

Don't worry I am not top anymore. :p

And to be fair to daylight/SI; not sure Leipzig are your run of the mill 3rd tier club. Give them a go Dagenham Dave. :)

Going into my seventh season in the Skrill North. Can't see me lasting 5 mins in the lower leagues in Germany.

I am the Bryan Robson of FM.

I think the ME is much improved with this update.

I feel like the players are actually carrying out my instructions to the letter (or at least trying to!) Also I find myself trying different things that I wouldn't before. For example was 2-0 down at half time - for the second half I abandoned my narrow, passing formation and stuck a big target man up front, told the team to go direct and float crosses into the box. This paid off with my striker getting a couple as we managed to grab a draw (although should have won it).

On previous versions my stubbornness would have made me stick to my short passing style and I would only have made a sub or two to try and change things and see if a harsh team talk worked.

Nice update and surely now it's only subtle changes that will be needed going forward.

Same problem here, and reported.

having exactly the same problem here.

Just conceded 4 goals against Stoke due to Jagielka and Distin (both on CD-Def instructions with no alterations) seemingly man marking Stoke's central AMC, leaving their two wider AMC's and ST completely unmarked.

• Administrators
having exactly the same problem here.

Just conceded 4 goals against Stoke due to Jagielka and Distin (both on CD-Def instructions with no alterations) seemingly man marking Stoke's central AMC, leaving their two wider AMC's and ST completely unmarked.

Please raise it in our Match Engine Bugs Forum ideally with match pkm examples - http://community.sigames.com/forumdisplay.php/365-Match-Engine-3D-and-Team-Talks

Many thanks.

Not knee jerking but noticed something a bit iffy after I played three today (on extended as always) since I got the update; results 3-3, 5-2 and 4-3 and my keepers been lobbed about 5 times where he's been basically Schmeichel/ Phillipe Albert'ed every time. Also noticed the corners now going far post too like others so they may have been tweaked a bit too much in the opposite direction as defending was after beta. I'll keep an eye on it and see how it gets on.

I did see 3 attempts at lobs from strangely short distances (and 2 of them resulted in goals) in the 11 matches I did last night. I think there's a bug/imbalance there, too.

I'm probably being really dense here but when I am in the home screen the bottom right shows "14.1.4" but when i go to start a new game it says the database version is 14.0.0, I've restarted steam, verified the game cache numerous times. Has the update not downloaded or am i doing something wrong?

Archived