Football Manager 14 Feedback Thread - 14.1.4

The heading is indeed a huge problem. I have yet to see a header from open play saved by the keeper, let alone a goal scored from such a header. That is both from me and the AI.

Literally logged on to note the exact same problem..

My current forward is Alexander Mitrovic 4 years in, so you all know he's the truth, yet constantly misses free, uncontested headers, 'tis annoying

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello mates,

After a great disappointment with the release, i find this update really good.

Finally i can play and enjoy FM again : )

Almost all is better.

The most amazing is seeing my defenders doing sliding tackles to stop shots. That's cool!

From now on SI only have to tweak here and there. No major improvements needed in my opinion.

What i think SI should improve is Goal Keepers. I think they stop too many good shots, even if they are far away from being world class keepers.

Some AI results are not that realistic. When i check Italian Serie A it's a bit of a mess. Napoli 1st (fine), Lazio 2nd, Verona 3rd, Juventus 4th. Roma, Inter, Milan at 10th+.

Anyway. Thanks for the update! Good work guys!

My feedback after about 12 hours of game time.

Aside from having too many red cards, im really enjoying the game. Glad that i waited for 14.1.4 patch to come out before buying. Patience duly rewarded.

any of you guys getting a lot of sliding tackles.almost all of my attacks end either in a perfect sliding tackle by a inferior defender against a world class dribbler or in getting a corner. and ALL the freekicks i take hits the post and almost all the time the opposition fills its box with at least 10 men? Do these things happen to any one of you guys?

Actually there is this thing that should be improved also. Defensive free kicks always kicked by the goal keeper even when too out from his competence area. Add individual instructions not working --->> CCCs for the opponents the most of times.

Is it just for me that clubs buy players from all over the place? I wonder if the rules about restricting transfer activity between certain countries and regions especially Europe and Asia doesn't work. Especially between Europe and Asia.

Also it seems like all good newgens, no matter from which country they are from, are snatched by the AI within a month from that they are generated now. Europe are flooded with African, American and Asian talents, and I'm just one year into the save. In 2013 they usually stayed a year or two at least.

I am a little puzzled. just started another game in La Liga and games with crazy results are much less frequent than in my previous save in Argentinian Premier league.

Could the difference be that i started in Argentina with the previous patch? or what is the explanation

I don't mean that facetiously; my 2.1.3 tactics have proved problematic with 2.1.4 - my results have plummeted so I've had to start with a new formation and new tactics which will take the rest of the season for the squad to become fluid in, thus probably costing me promotion. I'm not complaining though - I just need to be patient.

I think this is one of the problems I'm running into, and I have to admit it's really frustrating. I know the problem is PROBABLY with my tactics, but it could also be a match engine thing (the best thing I can say about the wingers not crossing quickly, for instance, is that it's maybe a tempo problem...but in reality I'd tell the winger to get his cross off quicker, not change the speed with which the build-up occurs). Same thing with strikers; I'd love to be able to say "quit dribbling and taking extra steps", and maybe that's a PPM that I have to explore, but I'm hesitant to fix it because I'd hate to have him learn the move and then find out it's going to bite me later on. Some little tactical changes make no difference at all, while others have huge, sweeping ramifications, and it's not always clear which are which.

Don't get me wrong, I'm playing and having fun...but there's a level of opacity to the ME at this stage that's preventing me from having the total immersion experience I've had in past versions.

And as an aside: we're looking at the red card problem, right? I'm not even talking about my games, specifically, as I'm doing alright there...it's more the games that are simmed (although refs do seem excessive with their yellows since the patch).

After the patch, the game starts to frustrate me. To golie seems unbeatable and when you eventualy beat the golie then its a miss or woodwork. 22 shoots per game 10 on goal, only to win 1:0, really? A lot of headers are misses...

By misses i do not mean golie saves only over the bar or near post shots

My two strikers are Mandzukic and Lewandowski. Before the patch they had naver got problems to score. Now 99% of the chances are golie saves and misses. Im starting to get really mad with the game... ;,(

AAA and yeah the AI has 7 schots per game, 3 on goal and She produces everytime one goal from the shots on goal.

havent seen a single goal from a direct free kick but half of them seem to be coming from corners

I scored a couple from a DFK pre-patch, but I sold that guy in the winter market. I've seen nothing but own goals from corners (which may be a tactics thing, but I'm having a hell of a time setting up set pieces and corners that are actually effective).

I'm really enjoying the new thread and I'm starting to get to grips with the tweaks the updated ME has brought.

One thing I keep seeing, and I think it is a bug as it appears to occur for multiple players, is that when a defender heads a clearance towards the CM position and it is intercepted by an opposition player, my CM will keep charging towards where the ball would have landed, often straight past the opposing player in possession and leaving a big gap behind him to be exploited.

I'll try and replicate it and upload the pkm, but I was wondering if anybody has seen that occur?

I am a little puzzled. just started another game in La Liga and games with crazy results are much less frequent than in my previous save in Argentinian Premier league.

Could the difference be that i started in Argentina with the previous patch? or what is the explanation

I noticed this too. Always better to start a new game post-update, no matter what they tell you IMO.

And as an aside: we're looking at the red card problem, right? I'm not even talking about my games, specifically, as I'm doing alright there...it's more the games that are simmed (although refs do seem excessive with their yellows since the patch).

They replied to my bug report saying using "hassle opponents" will cause excessive tackling and cards (even with "stay on feet" selected, which is the combination I have) and is currently being looked at. No word on a hot fix though so can only hope.

Is there a part of the game which is not completely bugged? Even such a basic thing as statistics is messed up. It tells you that guy who shoots into empty net is not in a CCC. After the patch, wingers are useless, no crossing. Goalkeepers are ******** and instead of catching the ball they will rather pass it to opp attacker. But when it comes to shots they catch literally everything in their hands. Strong shot from 5 metres? No problem, their gloves are glued. Corners are 60% of highlights. Woodwork is hit like 3 times per game. Free kick is taken from place where foul was not committed.

Time after time, 100% CCC are missed. Long shots end up 50 yards above goal 95% of time. Players love to run straight into opposition players. Counter attacks execution even on top level looks like when I play with my friends after work. Guy is free on the keeper but instead shoots from 20 yards. You set very deep defensive line and defenders stand 10 yeards in fron of penalty box while opposition happily exploits the space behind you. Plyers are world champions in chipped bals. And so on and so on and so on.

I am thinking back to old FMs, and have come to the conclusion that the evolution of the match engine over the past few years has led to the footballing intelligence of the players being at an all-time low. Something seems to have happened (and I think this is a gradual thing as the ME has involved over the last few years) which has taken away all sense of giving instructions to footballers who possess both footballing brains and common sense, and, most importantly, who are able to use their intelligence to execute what they want to do with purpose.

To my mind, FM games from some years ago (I'm not going to pick out specific versions, because I can't remember which ones I was happiest with, although I have played most, if not all of the games in the last 10 or more years) featured a match engine which produced more intuitive and responsive games of football. It may have been less complex, and the sliders may have seemed arcane to some, but to me they gave you a precise degree of control which the match engine would then reproduce. I could tell my player to shoot more, and he would. I could tell him to run with the ball more, and he would. Players would much more often than not do what you want, leading to a feeling of you, as the manager, being fully in control of the way that your team plays. The key thing that underpinned this control was the fact that the players thought like footballers and actively sought and exploited opportunities to shoot, pass, cross and dribble.

FM14, for me, has taken away this feeling of control. Part of this is the abolition of sliders this year, and the rise of the tactic creator over the last few years; I find the blanket instructions that you have to give too 'woolly'. The biggest thing, though, is that players, in many areas of gameplay, simply do not do what you tell them to, and often not what common sense would dictate, either. It's not down to player individuality and ignoring the instructions; it's a case of players not detecting opportunities and then purposefully exploiting them. So wingers won't cross the ball, and wing backs that I have told to 'cross early, cross more often, dribble less' will receive the ball in a deep position and go for the byline every single time before maybe crossing, and only after allowing the defender to catch up, so that a corner results. Then, the corner is headed behind the goal by a defender for the 21st corner of the match, and that one will get headed behind the goal too by a defending player. And so on ...

What past iterations of FM have done is create a feeling of control, and a feeling that these are thinking footballers that we are controlling. Wingers would receive the ball and actually ATTACK their full back, instead of meandering in the general direction of the byline. They would cut inside with purpose. They would cross early and often if you wanted them to. Players would recognise shooting opportunities and take them. They'd play incisive through balls with regularity, if you wanted them to.

All that has been replaced with a game where the individual players seem unsure of what to do with the ball. They receive it and just meander, without purpose. Passing lanes that are begging for a through ball aren't exploited. Crossing and shooting opportunities aren't taken. They do things that no footballer would (waiting for the defender to catch up before crossing it). They seem trapped in some kind of treacle and lack the kind of purposeful footballing intelligence that made previous games a joy to play and to watch in action.

This isn't a tactical issue. I'm not concerned with how teams knit together as a whole, here, and basic footballing behaviours, that should occur no matter what tactical scheme is in play, have simply gone missing. You can give a player a very clearly defined set of instructions (and make them extreme, if you like, which should result in extreme behaviour), but when he receives the ball he will lack purpose, direction, and intelligence. He won't follow your instructions, even if the situation (i.e. distribution of opposing players in relation to him, position on the pitch etc.) is perfect for it. It's just not believable to see a winger who has been told to cross early and cross often give up great crossing opportunities in favour of holding on to the ball for five seconds. It's just not believable to see a world-class passer ignore obvious and potentially devastating through-ball lanes when you've given him a set of instructions that should see him actively looking to play through balls. If I was on the pitch, I would be playing these through balls, and I'm an amateur player. I'd play them because I'd see the opening, realise that I can pick out a striker's run, and seek to play the ball before the gap closes. Much more often than not, footballers in FM14 seem mostly incapable of incisive thinking like this. In games the from 5-10 years ago, this wouldn't have been the case whatsoever.

Finally, although I have used wingers as an example more often than not, I think that this lack of footballing intuition afflicts every player on the pitch; it's just that wingers with specific sets of instructions should have some very clearly identifiable behaviour patterns that are the easiest to detect and describe if they are not happening.

I'm really enjoying the new thread and I'm starting to get to grips with the tweaks the updated ME has brought.

One thing I keep seeing, and I think it is a bug as it appears to occur for multiple players, is that when a defender heads a clearance towards the CM position and it is intercepted by an opposition player, my CM will keep charging towards where the ball would have landed, often straight past the opposing player in possession and leaving a big gap behind him to be exploited.

I'll try and replicate it and upload the pkm, but I was wondering if anybody has seen that occur?

I have seen it. Happens mostly with my CMs but seen other positions as well.

I see someone filling this thread with pointless inflammatory posts, despite being told off for it previously.

What do you see?

The point he makes is sound in that people posts all sorts of things here and people believe them. Its half the reason for the anguish and frustration that gets posted. I swear half the people playing FM aren't even aware of issues until they visit this forum and get told them.

People post nonesense and exaggeration and it tends to spin up up bad feeling

One thing I would say is that 65.15% of statistics are made-up

quick question guys. What happened to the "admire player" and "admire youngster" options in this year's FM?I seem to only have the option to discuss player's as transfer targets. I used it (probably excessively) all the time in previous versions. Bit bummed if it has gone :(

Anyone else finds their striker 90% of the chances being tackled flawlessly just half a second before he shoots? anyone else not scoring goals from headers on open play despite having goal line cc chances? anyone else just tried to use a strong CB as a striker and he being more effective than a +16 scoring attributes striker? meh it gets annoying sometimes, but i finally made it through to some tiki taka goals :)))

I am thinking back to old FMs, and have come to the conclusion that the evolution of the match engine over the past few years has led to the footballing intelligence of the players being at an all-time low. Something seems to have happened (and I think this is a gradual thing as the ME has involved over the last few years) which has taken away all sense of giving instructions to footballers who possess both footballing brains and common sense, and, most importantly, who are able to use their intelligence to execute what they want to do with purpose.

To my mind, FM games from some years ago (I'm not going to pick out specific versions, because I can't remember which ones I was happiest with, although I have played most, if not all of the games in the last 10 or more years) featured a match engine which produced more intuitive and responsive games of football. It may have been less complex, and the sliders may have seemed arcane to some, but to me they gave you a precise degree of control which the match engine would then reproduce. I could tell my player to shoot more, and he would. I could tell him to run with the ball more, and he would. Players would much more often than not do what you want, leading to a feeling of you, as the manager, being fully in control of the way that your team plays. The key thing that underpinned this control was the fact that the players thought like footballers and actively sought and exploited opportunities to shoot, pass, cross and dribble.

FM14, for me, has taken away this feeling of control. Part of this is the abolition of sliders this year, and the rise of the tactic creator over the last few years; I find the blanket instructions that you have to give too 'woolly'. The biggest thing, though, is that players, in many areas of gameplay, simply do not do what you tell them to, and often not what common sense would dictate, either. It's not down to player individuality and ignoring the instructions; it's a case of players not detecting opportunities and then purposefully exploiting them. So wingers won't cross the ball, and wing backs that I have told to 'cross early, cross more often, dribble less' will receive the ball in a deep position and go for the byline every single time before maybe crossing, and only after allowing the defender to catch up, so that a corner results. Then, the corner is headed behind the goal by a defender for the 21st corner of the match, and that one will get headed behind the goal too by a defending player. And so on ...

What past iterations of FM have done is create a feeling of control, and a feeling that these are thinking footballers that we are controlling. Wingers would receive the ball and actually ATTACK their full back, instead of meandering in the general direction of the byline. They would cut inside with purpose. They would cross early and often if you wanted them to. Players would recognise shooting opportunities and take them. They'd play incisive through balls with regularity, if you wanted them to.

All that has been replaced with a game where the individual players seem unsure of what to do with the ball. They receive it and just meander, without purpose. Passing lanes that are begging for a through ball aren't exploited. Crossing and shooting opportunities aren't taken. They do things that no footballer would (waiting for the defender to catch up before crossing it). They seem trapped in some kind of treacle and lack the kind of purposeful footballing intelligence that made previous games a joy to play and to watch in action.

This isn't a tactical issue. I'm not concerned with how teams knit together as a whole, here, and basic footballing behaviours, that should occur no matter what tactical scheme is in play, have simply gone missing. You can give a player a very clearly defined set of instructions (and make them extreme, if you like, which should result in extreme behaviour), but when he receives the ball he will lack purpose, direction, and intelligence. He won't follow your instructions, even if the situation (i.e. distribution of opposing players in relation to him, position on the pitch etc.) is perfect for it. It's just not believable to see a winger who has been told to cross early and cross often give up great crossing opportunities in favour of holding on to the ball for five seconds. It's just not believable to see a world-class passer ignore obvious and potentially devastating through-ball lanes when you've given him a set of instructions that should see him actively looking to play through balls. If I was on the pitch, I would be playing these through balls, and I'm an amateur player. I'd play them because I'd see the opening, realise that I can pick out a striker's run, and seek to play the ball before the gap closes. Much more often than not, footballers in FM14 seem mostly incapable of incisive thinking like this. In games the from 5-10 years ago, this wouldn't have been the case whatsoever.

Finally, although I have used wingers as an example more often than not, I think that this lack of footballing intuition afflicts every player on the pitch; it's just that wingers with specific sets of instructions should have some very clearly identifiable behaviour patterns that are the easiest to detect and describe if they are not happening.

This is exactly what i think and what i feel about this game now.

+1 one here sad to say. Dont get me wrong I am a huge fan of FM, but this version is still not playable for me. I am on top of the league with my team and I can win games, but for me I feel I`m just playing the ME instead of playing football in my league... If that makes any sense. Hope it will be updated in the near future, cause I do see a lot of positives, just not in the matches.

Stating FM12 was the best is your respectable opinion. According to me it was the easiest FM ever, I enjoyed it but far away to be considered the best.

The things that makes the game harder are not the difficulties we are facing. Since 2 years, there are lots of absurd things in ME. These things make the ME harder and unplayable. The ME must be clear because it is the thing that connects the player and the game.

So, maybe 12's ME was easier but people couldn't see any stupid defending, goalkeeping or 20-30 corners per game. Of course sometimes we were seeing stupid things but it was on an acceptable level.

I just won the league with Southampton (2nd season) with six matches to go.

Is there something wrong with the match simulation for games the player isn't playing (i.e. quick/detailed match calculation, I think)?

* Arsenal barely managed to survive relegation

* Cardiff was 2nd until January

* I holidayed some matches after winning the league, and I lost all three (including a 6-0 loss against Leicester) using the same tactic as I normally play with (having only lost something like four matches in total before I started holidaying)

The point he makes is sound in that people posts all sorts of things here and people believe them. Its half the reason for the anguish and frustration that gets posted. I swear half the people playing FM aren't even aware of issues until they visit this forum and get told them.

People post nonesense and exaggeration and it tends to spin up up bad feeling

One thing I would say is that 65.15% of statistics are made-up

I know, he just annoys me so I'm being a knob about it.

I enjoy your posts however :thup:

Hey I really wanted to ask if anyone had noticed an issue since the last patch. Well one I've noticed people have mentioned which is the free kick thing, since I update every

single free kick in the game has hit the cross bar. I mean every single one, luckily most are cleared if it's against me. But the over issue (I haven't had time to read through more cos I'm in a rush right now so apologies)... the issue I noticed was that when a oppositions player was sent off within a few minutes of the game carrying on, one of my players got a bad

injury and had to be taken off. I noticed it three times in a row, first time I didn't think much of it but the next time I saw a sending off 'I thought I hope a player doesn't get injured' and again within minutes my fear came true. Then about an hour ago I was playing and Bradford had a player sent off and the same thing happened. Maybe a coincidence but that's

three in a row.

I give up playin this game until it will be released a decent update / patch. The game it's too easy! Currently playin with Nott Forest. matches like 35 shots per game for my team against 4 or 5 shots to the other team even if it is Chelsea or Halifax. Just playin with the same tactic 4-2-2-2.

They replied to my bug report saying using "hassle opponents" will cause excessive tackling and cards (even with "stay on feet" selected, which is the combination I have) and is currently being looked at. No word on a hot fix though so can only hope.

And that could fix MY games (although I'd rather just risk it; honestly, I want my team to press), but the simmed games are crazy with red cards. Hopefully that'll be part of the fix.

Instead of "hassle opponents" and "get stuck-in" consider the instruction to push further up the pitch which is good if you have a deep lying playmaker or defend higer up the pitch. Both restrict the space for the opposition and cut down on opposition passing...its not as physical as hassle opponents and should end up with less cards.

I often use this in away games where the opposition are on a good run or are better than me. "If you cant win then make sure you dont lose" - Andy Awford

Can you tell me what is this?

http://http://img844.imageshack.us/img844/6869/38ud.png

made it a second time. The first time required reaction and had to take a vacation to continue game.it save is corrupt?

Another problem occurs when you try to sign a contract with a member of the coaching staff.

After successful negotiations get information that the club has not reached an agreement with the PLAYER and the transfer was canceled.

So, maybe 12's ME was easier but people couldn't see any stupid defending, goalkeeping or 20-30 corners per game.

Wait, what? No 'stupid defending' in FM12? Hahaha, that's the funniest thing I've read on here.

And there's not '20 or 30 corners per game' on this version either.

Apart from that, spot on :rolleyes:

So I already sold Lucas to Real Madrid there but about a week later, a journalist asked me "Laurent Blanc(psg) showed little sign of being deterred in his bid to sign Lucas Leiva and seemed confident of getting his way. How do you respond to those comments?" I could still make the usual choices including "....It's my decision and Lucas Leiva will remain a Liverpool player."

Kind of strange considering he is already in Spain :D

Is there something wrong with the match simulation for games the player isn't playing (i.e. quick/detailed match calculation, I think)?

2014/2015 (with just a few matches to go):

https://www.monosnap.com/image/KUCktseMBLWMdr5DT0JJNnSx8

KUCktseMBLWMdr5DT0JJNnSx8.png

2013/2014:

https://www.monosnap.com/image/s0P0mQitDs8tbP8L4DbHy96Y3

s0P0mQitDs8tbP8L4DbHy96Y3.png

Most of the other top teams are doing really poorly, but Arsenal are *really* underperforming.

Of the 6 losses I had, 3 of them happened when I had won the league and started holidaying through the matches.

Edit: 11/32 (34%!) of the goals scored against me happened when I simmed through three matches.

anyone??

Can you tell me what is this?

http://http://img844.imageshack.us/img844/6869/38ud.png

made it a second time. The first time required reaction and had to take a vacation to continue game.it save is corrupt?

Another problem occurs when you try to sign a contract with a member of the coaching staff.

After successful negotiations get information that the club has not reached an agreement with the PLAYER and the transfer was canceled.

if i could write in english as good as you do, i'd exactly tell the same things. i'm 24 years old, playing this game since i was 10, and this game made me cry. i will never be happy like the old times without fm but i stop playing until the game intelligence completely changes. si games focused on improving childish 3d in last 2 years but they ve certainly missed the key point. their 3d is still childish but the players' intelligence is sorrowful,depressing,sombre... fm is officially dead my old fellows...

Archived