Sports Interactive Community
Neil Brock

Football Manager 14 Feedback Thread - 14.1.4

'hassle opponents' is not really viable at the moment. If you have any kind if of aggressive players you are looking at 'red card' central.

However, constantly playing with 10 men has given me some valuable tactical insights and made me realise. I can get away with a 2 man midfield and add an extra attacking player.

Every cloud. .... Etc.,,,,,,

I use hassle opponents and I don't even get a lot of yellow cards.

I am happy with the ME after the latest patch. A few minor issues, which have already been mentioned (i.e. hitting the bar, weird red cards etc) but nothing too bad.

After quite extensive fiddling with the tactics, I have now managed to get my team to play as I want. We have the best defensive record in the league and kill opponents on the break almost at will. Fantastic to see a game when you have 45% possession and win 6-1 because you manage to exploit every weakness and even more fantastic to be trailing 1-0 with the same tactic and then turn it around to a 2-1 win after adapting to the opponent. It feels like I am in control, but just enough and can still lose easily on a bad day.

One more thing - what happened to the pre and post game press conferences? Have not been called to a single one yet.

He probably hadn't taken out the Portuguese one, although entitled to it, hence why he was still classed as Brazilian.

Ah I see, but then why is he free from needing a work permit? Because of his Portugese nationality? Doesn't he actually have to be a citizen anyway to avoid work permits in that case?

See I'm just confused, not that it affects anything in the end.

I am happy with the ME after the latest patch. A few minor issues, which have already been mentioned (i.e. hitting the bar, weird red cards etc) but nothing too bad.

After quite extensive fiddling with the tactics, I have now managed to get my team to play as I want. We have the best defensive record in the league and kill opponents on the break almost at will. Fantastic to see a game when you have 45% possession and win 6-1 because you manage to exploit every weakness and even more fantastic to be trailing 1-0 with the same tactic and then turn it around to a 2-1 win after adapting to the opponent. It feels like I am in control, but just enough and can still lose easily on a bad day.

Exactly. FM 13 was horrible and felt random, FM 14 also at first, but after the update i finally feel control about whats happening again. And this is the key point, thats why im loving FM 14. FM 14 is so much joy to watch now. I see plenty of different situations on the pitch, defense is so much improved after the update, the horrible 40 shots are gone, the convertion of CCC feels more realistic, the Opponent doesnt score 30 Goals from Corners anymore. Just great!

And please SI, never listen to people who want to just buy the best players, make 2 clicks in 60 seconds and then win everything. Horrible attitude. Most people want a challenge.

Can we get this straight in regards long balls over the top, it’s nothing to do with tactics, and you can after all set your defence to be much more effective when dealing with them. It is however, about player ability, now I challenge anybody whatever your skill level, to go out in the park with a friend and have them lob 40 yard passes (if they can manage that degree of accuracy, another issue in the game) at you as you run with your back to the pass and towards an imaginary goal or real one if there is one and see how easy it is to take that ball down and control it instantly from over your shoulder, in FM even players with poor first touch and poor technique are doing this with ease and it is simply just not right, marked tightly or not.

And can we cut out the it’s a game stuff and you can’t expect it to look like real football, because

1. If that’s the case then SI need to stop advertising it as such.

2. Surely the point of these threads is to point out areas where the game is not right with the aim of bettering it, we don’t need to be told it’s never going to be perfect, because we know that but we nevertheless need to keep trying to make it so as much as possible.

Here are three such examples from my last match. Two for me (both assists from my centre-half) and one for them (assist from their 'keeper). Would be interesting to see if you think it's worth uploading the PKM or if it's working as intended, and is just poor defending. Apologies for the poor quality.

[video=youtube;gp04njuzMys]

[video=youtube;Ef9X9OaWaPM]

[video=youtube;yCVhg89CjP4]

Looks like you have the same problem with Youtube quality as I do

the number of chances I'm creating now has more than halved (from 20-25 a game to less than 10).

Thank god! There were way too many chances (and shots) before the update. The defending is just much improved now and thats why the number of chances is reduced. Defenders dont behave like idiots as before, the only Thing are the central defenders who sometimes are closing down too much as mentioned in this thread.

Ah I see, but then why is he free from needing a work permit? Because of his Portugese nationality? Doesn't he actually have to be a citizen anyway to avoid work permits in that case?

See I'm just confused, not that it affects anything in the end.

How many years has he been in Britain with Man U, been here for 5 years then he'll probably not need a work permit.

Here are three such examples from my last match. Two for me (both assists from my centre-half) and one for them (assist from their 'keeper). Would be interesting to see if you think it's worth uploading the PKM or if it's working as intended, and is just poor defending. Apologies for the poor quality.

First one just looks like poor marking and a great ball. No issue in my opinion. Second one looks tactical, relating to a lack of midfield cover. Again, no issue. Third one is a bug as the defender's movement is completely illogical.

How many years has he been in Britain with Man U, been here for 5 years then he'll probably not need a work permit.

I dunno, reading old newspapers, it seems they needed a work permit at 18 because their application for Portuguese citizenship was processing. So it appears they did take the citizenship of Portugal, if so, they're already EU citizens, no need to apply for British nationality to bypass EU rules.

About the only thing my google-fu found was http://forum.soccermanager.com/showthread.php?t=27217

But like I said, I don't know enough it and it's just a minor inconvenience anyway.

First one just looks like poor marking and a great ball. No issue in my opinion. Second one looks tactical, relating to a lack of midfield cover. Again, no issue. Third one is a bug as the defender's movement is completely illogical.

Actually, second one might be slightly buggy. Due to the poor quality, I thought the pass was coming from elsewhere.

Agreed, am in the very same boat. I told myself not to buy this until January but I caved in. Not anymore. Is this game terrible, no probably not but it's just not "fun" anymore. I know it's a sim and supposed to represent real life but I love football and am not a very good tactitian and i'm guessing most of us who buy the game are in the same boat.

I want to be able to buy the best players put them in a sensible formation and see then win, I don't want to have to get a uefa coaching badge just just to play a game. I'm sick of seeing my team not do the basics and get a sting of 6.3's and my striker to constanly miss one on ones. I long for the days when I would play MY game and take away all the stresses of life. Now it just causes more.

FM classic is a huge missed opportunity, unless the ME on classic is changed to something simpler it's pretty pointless. Thats what I want from classic a blast from the past when tactics were simpler and I could win, as aferall it it just a game fro me and i'll be moving on soon.

When posters of 1000+ posts and a long standing respect & history of playing the game feel this way then something must be wrong, surely?

Thank heavens for the "Stjorinn" board game and the "Footy Manager" pnp game (refer to Board Game Geek).

I use hassle opponents and I don't even get a lot of yellow cards.

Yip, same for me too. I guess it'll depend on the various attributes of your players. I've not checked, but the agression stat for my midfielders/defenders is maybe not as high as others have in their team.

Like all aspects of this game, theres many variables that go into producing events on-field. That's why, IMO, there are situations where it's next to impossible whether to class something as a 'bug' or not.

Yip, same for me too. I guess it'll depend on the various attributes of your players. I've not checked, but the agression stat for my midfielders/defenders is maybe not as high as others have in their team.

Like all aspects of this game, theres many variables that go into producing events on-field. That's why, IMO, there are situations where it's next to impossible whether to class something as a 'bug' or not.

Well, I'm in the lower leagues. Maybe it is a top league issue? It would help if people who have problems with red cards post more detail, but that would be expecting too much.

When posters of 1000+ posts and a long standing respect & history of playing the game feel this way then something must be wrong, surely?
Absolutely not, since when is a post count more important than the content of a post? Especially when the essence of the post is this:
There is the golden egg, FM has sold so many and hooked so many because it was easy(ish) to be a football manager. Now you have to actually be a football manager to win.
Maybe it's time for an added arcade mode, but the game was always trying to be a simulation. It just wasn't always that hard due to weaknesses of the AI, while applying the same rules to them as the human player and not giving artificial advantages. Now some parts are catching up, most prominently the less exploitable tactics and a slightly more reactive AI tactically.

I dunno, reading old newspapers, it seems they needed a work permit at 18 because their application for Portuguese citizenship was processing. So it appears they did take the citizenship of Portugal, if so, they're already EU citizens, no need to apply for British nationality to bypass EU rules.

About the only thing my google-fu found was http://forum.soccermanager.com/showthread.php?t=27217

But like I said, I don't know enough it and it's just a minor inconvenience anyway.

jc1's guesswork is confusing the issue. He was entitled to claim Portuguese nationality through his grandfather and did so on reaching his 18th birthday, but this is unimportant. The fact that the game shows his second nationality as Portuguese, who are members of the EU, means he will be granted a work permit. He may have taken up British citizenship, but the game reporting that it was to become a EU national is wrong.

I've just about had it. No matter what I do, the same happens in practically every single match: Easy through balls bypass my center halves like they're not even there, giving the opposing striker a free run on goal. I'm getting results like 7-5, 4-4, 5-3, 4-3 all the time, despite setting my team to playing relatively cautiously, with an anchor man and low defensive line. The match engine is a shambles and a joke. Sort it out! I didn't pay 50 euros for this tripe.

Absolutely not, since when is a post count more important than the content of a post? Especially when the essence of the post is this: Maybe it's time for an added arcade mode, but the game was always trying to be a simulation. It just wasn't always that hard due to weaknesses of the AI, while applying the same rules to them as the human player and not giving artificial advantages. Now some parts are catching up, most prominently the less exploitable tactics and a slightly more reactive AI tactically.

Agree, high post count may not relate to quality 100% but generally the more someone bothers to post the more likely their views are to be considered and fair even if you don't agree with them, but actually "difficulty" regarding achievement vs expectations has not been my concern with the game for many years now.

Just ran some testing on the overpowered Man Utd suspicion, kind of confirmed my fears but as all results were partially open to the "its your tactics" view I shall not post the detail of the results, however on the same matchday (1st game of the season) an AI match running at the same time was West Ham v Chelsea. Nothing I did affected either club so it was a totally clean test in all regards. Here are the resuts:

Played 30+ times

West Ham won none (as home team!)

Drawn 3

Cheslea wins - all the others (30+), including

2 x 0-5

1 x 0-6

I conclude something is wrong with the game.

Well, I'm in the lower leagues. Maybe it is a top league issue? It would help if people who have problems with red cards post more detail, but that would be expecting too much.

Most of the red cards I have seen for and against me are two yellows caused by repeated kicks from behind on players holding up the ball. They happen in the midfield for the most part and are very unnecessary because the player has the opponent exactly where he wants him, but he still sticks out his foot and get an auto-yellow.

Edit: oh I'm Eastleigh.

It's those situations where you ideally want people to upload the PKMs, and also create a thread in the tactics forum, see if there combinations that exacerbate such things, is it purely tactical, or is there something else behind it? For me it's never a bad thing to provide more information :thup:

jc1's guesswork is confusing the issue. He was entitled to claim Portuguese nationality through his grandfather and did so on reaching his 18th birthday, but this is unimportant. The fact that the game shows his second nationality as Portuguese, who are members of the EU, means he will be granted a work permit. He may have taken up British citizenship, but the game reporting that it was to become a EU national is wrong.

Yes but as an EU national he won't need a work permit no?

I guess the game's message at the end of the day is wrong either way.

There is the golden egg, FM has sold so many and hooked so many because it was easy(ish) to be a football manager. Now you have to actually be a football manager to win.

I don't think it's the game that is too hard to be honest, it's this ME that simply isn't engaging or immersive. It's just tedious watching it. SI have had over a year and two patches so far to get it right and it's still a mess.

Were AI manager targets changed during this new patch?

Can someone confirm or anything? Found that when I started a new save, some players I wanted to sell are not wanted by the teams and that AI targets are completely different. E.g. Chelsea wanting to buy Yacob - first time I've seen that during fm14.

I've just noticed something odd in my game, the condition of the players differs from the squad view to the profile view. 2 examples below with Agger at 95% on the squad view screen but 100% on his profile, and Benteke at 88% and then 91%.

RSXEa6u.png

kRZTmwR.png

VMqsrDI.png

8hYdVSF.png

It's happening with nearly every player not at 100%. Are they both calculated differently, or have I just missed something really obvious here?

My thoughts about the 14.1.4. version are mostly positive.

ME feels much better and i think it more resembles football now.

Defenders are closing down and tackling. When i make changes during a match i can actually see the difference. As a result it feels like i, the manager, actually can make a difference.

The players' runs are more logical and the team works together, apart from the occasional moments....pretty much as it should be.

The less positives:

- Teams bidding for months and months on my players even though i have said no. Exhausting every reason for not selling. (Being Queens University in Northern Ireland).

- My strikers are playing above expectations all the time and gets tired of praise, saying "i really don't want to go into this again", or something like that.

- Physios running over the pitch during play after treating a player. Happened only once in 2 seasons on the new patch.

- Extremely hard to find a parent club. But that might be normal in Northern Ireland. I have no idea. 4 years and nothing so far.

- Some really, really odd own goals still. Like a defender overhitting or underhitting a ball towards his own goalie, runs after the ball but does nothing, while the goalie just watches the ball roll into his own net with the defender running after it.

Both just a few centimeters away from the ball.

- Still a tad too many goalies carrying the ball outside their area for a free kick and a yellow card.

- Players panicking about seemingly lack of options when looking for a pass, although there are quite a few obvious options around, and thus giving the ball away to the opposition.

- Goalies running across the pitch to get the ball when they have a free-kick near their own area.

All in all i'm very happy with the patch. Made a huge difference :thup:

Central defenders need sorting out. I play with three and I can't find a way of stopping the central one wandering into the midfield to close down the ball and leaving acres in behind.

I've just about had it. No matter what I do, the same happens in practically every single match: Easy through balls bypass my center halves like they're not even there, giving the opposing striker a free run on goal. I'm getting results like 7-5, 4-4, 5-3, 4-3 all the time, despite setting my team to playing relatively cautiously, with an anchor man and low defensive line. The match engine is a shambles and a joke. Sort it out! I didn't pay 50 euros for this tripe.

Plenty of people are keeping clean sheets, conceding one goal every 8 games or 9 a whole season. Try the tactics forum. There is only one explanation for that: Its not a bug, its your players or you. If the defending would be so terrible, there wouldnt be so many people conceding just a few goals.

Again too many goals. Can you please try to sort this in the next update? It's becoming a little bit annoying seeing so many matches ending in 4-4, 3-6, 5-4 so on.

Played 30+ times

West Ham won none

Drawn 3

Cheslea wins - all the others (30+), including

2 x 0-5

1 x 0-6

I conclude something is wrong with the game.

I conclude everything is fine? Chelsea is the better team, they should win, in some cases maybe a draw. Thats what happened.

Again too many goals. Can you please try to sort this in the next update? It's becoming a little bit annoying seeing so many matches ending in 4-4, 3-6, 5-4 so on.

I agree. Freak results are a problem between 2 AI Teams. Please SI sort it out.

Still two issues that ruins the gameplay for me: AI transfes getting cancelled because of lack of funds (or no specified reason), and the fact some U21 players in my U21-squad do not get any U21 games.

Edit: okay, ruin is a strong word, but definitly makes it less enjoyable.

I conclude everything is fine? Chelsea is the better team, they should win, in some cases maybe a draw. Thats what happened.

Utter nonsense. West Ham would have won at least one game and there would have been more draws, real life statistics and common sense would dictate that. Your kind of blind defence of FM does nothing for the game you know. Chelsea would have won most games for sure but approx. 91% - no way!, these kind of results are in line with an FA Cup tie with a Prem team away at a lower division side. As I originally posted, first game of the season so no significant morale issues involved

Another thing to consider is if you are just replaying one single match over and over there will be many variables that will not be that variable anymore, like morale for example - if Chelsea happens to be in form at that point in the save, and West Ham the opposite, reloading to the same point in time will always give Chelsea that particular advantage. If you were replaying entire seasons and then checking how the matchups went I'm sure you'd find more shockers.

Regarding defensive lines I'm in the group that is seeing the CBs actually doing a fine job. It may help that I'm playing two DMs.

Right now I would be happy to play this until a major update in February, except for one thing: set-piece instructions not being followed. (And maybe the rest-days issue I raised too.) It would be great to have another "hotfix" to address that, but IMHO it's still very enjoyable in the meantime.

The problem with a player being byline and throwing the ball out instead of crossing or passing continues to exist! Really annoying! (and one of the defenders just did it, throwing the ball corner while he had at least 3 other options)

Another thing to consider is if you are just replaying one single match over and over there will be many variables that will not be that variable anymore, like morale for example - if Chelsea happens to be in form at that point in the save, and West Ham the opposite, reloading to the same point in time will always give Chelsea that particular advantage. If you were replaying entire seasons and then checking how the matchups went I'm sure you'd find more shockers.

Regarding defensive lines I'm in the group that is seeing the CBs actually doing a fine job. It may help that I'm playing two DMs.

Right now I would be happy to play this until a major update in February, except for one thing: set-piece instructions not being followed. (And maybe the rest-days issue I raised too.) It would be great to have another "hotfix" to address that, but IMHO it's still very enjoyable in the meantime.

A test specimen of 30+ games remember!

For reference morale was:

WHam: mainly fairly good, 2 x fairly poor

Chelsea: mainly Very good, 2 x superb.

If that makes a win for WHam impossible in 30+ then that highlights a moral effect issue within the game.

For what it is worth (though it covers several seasons) real life results (last 9)

Wham won 2

1 draw

Cheslea won 6

ahhh my save game keeps crashing

had no problems but since the update when I click continue for example after a game it freezes. It keeps freezing in different areas sometimes even before the game

any help? the little whirly load thing in the calendar just stops

Yes but as an EU national he won't need a work permit no?

I guess the game's message at the end of the day is wrong either way.

Sorry, I messed up my typing, of course he won't need a work permit.

(that will teach me to be more careful when copy/pasting a piece of info as a reminder, then thinking I can use bits of that reminder to save on some typing by deleting the parts I don't need) :o

Paragraph 6 here: http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/how-brazilian-twins-became-an-ideal-match-for-ferguson-1671631.html

ahhh my save game keeps crashing

had no problems but since the update when I click continue for example after a game it freezes. It keeps freezing in different areas sometimes even before the game

any help? the little whirly load thing in the calendar just stops

Raise the issue here and we'll look into it - http://community.sigames.com/forumdisplay.php/360-Crashes-Game-Launch-and-Technical-Issues

May just be a case of clearing the preferences and cache then reverifying your cache. All info is in the FAQ.

Still two issues that ruins the gameplay for me: AI transfes getting cancelled because of lack of funds (or no specified reason), and the fact some U21 players in my U21-squad do not get any U21 games.

Edit: okay, ruin is a strong word, but definitly makes it less enjoyable.

The U21 issue, go to your reserve squad, right click on the all players and make sure they're all 'Available for U21/Reserve side'.

Sometimes new signings/promoted players aren't automatically set as available.

£45 actually, and just not as much fun anymore. I wont bring up my previous issues with the game but will add to those Man Utd are too overpowered in the game. The FM World is the only place that they were clear pre-season favs for the title and a monster team in action. I can live with that though, they are defending Champions after all although we all know that doesn't tell half the story, my biggest issue is that for the 2nd year running the game has been what I would call unplayable for a large portion of the release day to Xmas window, fool me once - shame on you, fool me twice - shame on me.....as Grissom once said.

I genuinely believe that if/when the joy-killing bugs/issues are resolved that FM14 will be the best FM ever (in the terms that I would judge it) however I seriously doubt I shall still be playing the series at that point, the enforced absences from the game have opened my eyes to other less frustrating pass times. I don't expect anyone at SI or Sega to lose any sleep over that but it is significant that someone who has purchased all of the last 16 SI football release (FM live excluded) has lost this much faith in a brand - that umbilical cord to my wallet has been severed. I hope FM13 & 14 have taught SI a lesson or two then maybe these consecutive debacles will not have been in vain. I cant help thinking that the absence of competition has led to complacency for SI, not complacency in striving for the perfect Football Manager sim (I would never doubt SI's good intentions in that direction) but much like a Band release albums which are more and more experimental but less and less listenable so FM has turned into a festival of developers dreams but half fulfilments.

Probably flirting with my first ever infraction with this Post but at least I am being honest and all views are considered - not rage-posts.

Very well written. A just and fair critique.

Well, I had already raised this issue during the beta. But since I don't see any difference between the first public beta version

and the latest version (14.1.4), I am posting it again.

There is a problem when generating some leagues calendar.

Although I seen this happening in England (Premier League) and Argentina (Primera División),

it is extreme in the top divisions of Portugal (Primeira Liga), Netherlands (Eredivisie) and Brazil (Serie A).

Top divisions from Italy, Germany, Spain and France are among the leagues where this issue is almost

non-existent, at least in the first season.

The normal sequence should be (with rare exceptions):

one game played home, followed by one game played away, then one home followed by other away and so on...

Not 2 or 3 games home followed by 2, 3 or 4 games away in a row.

In every game I started, this was present. With or without an edited database, the result is always

the same.I even deleted preferences and cache folders, but nothing changed.

I usually choose as playable leagues, the top divisions of Portugal, England, Spain, Germany, Italy,

Netherlands, France, Argentina and Brazil.

Hoping for a fix in the upcoming patches. Keep up the good work.

Examples (14.1.4):

Portuguese Top Division (Primeira Liga / Liga Zon Sagres)

2995.jpg

Dutch Top Division (Eredivisie)

3vc5.jpg

Brazilian Top Division (Serie A / Brasileirão)

692l.jpg

Can confirm this in Sweden as well.

2CDS0ii.jpg

Didn't play a game in Sweden before 14.1.4 because of the issue with reserves so can't say if this was something new with the latest update or if it's been here from the start.

Other than this, and clubs making the same bid 10 times during a transfer window I'm really liking the newest update.

In FM13 I used "unlucky" team talk when the team had played well and deserved to lead/win. I did the same now in FM14 after the opponent desperately blocked three shots in the first half and we really deserved a goal, but the whole team reacted very negatively, "looked switched off and confused". My assistant suggested the same at full time after this match ended in a 0-0 draw where only one shot of mine hit goal, but half the shots were blocked and I had 4 ccc's. The team reacted exactly the same then.

So has the situations where "unlucky" is the proper team talk changed from FM13? What are the parameters now?

Is there a normal game editor you can get or is is just the pay in game one??

Just found it

Is there a normal game editor you can get or is is just the pay in game one??

There is the normal pre-game editor. Download it from the tools section in Steam. Free as always :thup:

I have checked every player at Everton, the senior squads of Man Utd & Brazil and every agent has the same attributes: "xxxx is known to prefer his clients to remain at their current clubs whilst also being regarded as a very impatient negotiator."

Wondered if this is just a massive fluke, maybe because it's the Demo? If I were to keep looking would I find some agents with different attributes?

After the initial amazement at how nice the new engine looked like, I've now played a fair bit with both Arsenal and a team in the Portuguese 3rd tier and have noticed one or two things that seemed wrong. The most obvious is the woodwork issue and the lobbed goals issue, but those are well known. I think another problem is that I'm seeing a bit too many through balls and successful runs by wingers and forwards, it's as if SI have over-compensated for the lack of them in the previous ME and now there's a bit too much of them. A winger on attack duty is extremely efficient because if you have someone that plays passes into him, he'll show up in one-on-ones by running into the space between the opposition CBs and FBs. Conversely, it becomes pretty hard to defend against this, the thing that has worked better so far for me is to place 2 DMs in front of the defence, otherwise even with 1 DM and 2 restrained CBs (not on Stopper duty) you'll still get exploited in that area the minute you dare to not use a deep defensive line.

And like others I've also noticed my Cover or Defend CBs going very far out of their position to mark opposition players, and I don't have any team or individual instructions that would make them press more than the default. This seems a bug which happens occasionally, not all the time.

I've also noticed an alarmingly high amount of goals in my games once I've taken over my very low level club, which seems completely at odds with the football that I'm playing, with a very restrained defensive setup. It seems much more realistic now once I started using 2 DMs instead of 1 DM and 1 CM on CM/D role, but in the previous matches almost every chance at either end seemed to finish in a goal. It's almost as if the finishing is too good at lower level (or the goalkeeping is too terrible?). In my games with Arsenal at higher level it seemed about right.

Several clubs from the same the Italian Serie D groups get promoted after the first game season, while there are no promotions from some groups. There should be 1 promotion from each group.