Football Manager 14 Feedback Thread - 14.1.4

fed up with this, creating hardly any chances because wingers are not moving up the wings. my defenders have actually gotten WORSE. the wingers thing is effecting my central players as well, I can't play fluid because the strikers come deep and have no one to pass to, and just get tackled when they run on. defenders dont keep thier shape in rigid either. the stuff my team was doing before seems to not be happening

had 2 red cards in 4 matches for 2 footed lunges.

backup keeper on backup contract wants first team football also.

having the same problems with wingers and fwrds big time

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow...the game has not only improved but is much harder...probably because the changes affected my tactics which I need to spend some time on, but much improved. The attacking 3rd has been at times a joy to watch much more interesting moves and thoughtfull shots. Still some defending issues mainly the central defenders letting strikers go through a bit too easy, but if they are great dribblers and full on agility its believable. The only things I still see which need work are the ratings are still low and tutoring.

I can dominate possesion have 5-6 scoring chances, 80+ tackling and passing and the only chaps over 7.0 had an assist or a goal. Not really sure if its supposed to be that way or not VS real life.

Tutoring....well I'm afraid I havent seen this important part improved still can only tutor one youth a year...which is frustrating, but im hoping it will be fixed soon.

I have played 7 seasons on full game and won the premier league 6 out of 7 times, and I just started a new season with the update and already derby and norwich have tied me 1-1 and 2-2. Going to be a much tougher season.

Udinese transfer listed Nyom for 18m.

I bid 15, they take time. In the mean time, Watford and Granada bid 0 for him and Udinese accept :eek: So I change my bid to 0 and they accept it as well while lowering his asking price to 15m.

Worth posting to bugs forum?

Trust me, i spend all the day (and night too) looking for a decent team shape.

That's not the problem. Also if i win is so unrealistic

I'm sorry PratoJoe, I tried to help a night or two ago, but you are at fault.

It is your tactics (evidence here, two systems with fundamental flaws http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/376051-Problems-with-my-tactic-the-players-do-what-they-want-and-not-what-i-ask-them)

Furthermore, you confirmed a night or two ago that you just watch key highlights. Bad tactics + Key highlights = Doomed to failure.

It would be interesting to see that save game uploaded, as clearly the Juventus Napoli result is not right.

Could you post a screen of the formations the teams used and their line-ups please? It just smells a bit fishy to be brutally frank.

GK distribution, at least in lower leagues, is still borked. I'm not talking about short distribution which works to a degree on attacking strategies (which in itself is weird, why can they only pass it short when the team is more attacking?) but long kicking. I mean if a keeper is poor at kicking I'd expect the ball to not clear the half-way line most of the times and frequently go out for a throw in. Instead they effortlessly whack it over everyone's heads each and every time to see it roll out for a goal kick or for the opposition keeper to pick up (and repeat the process.) It looks insanely daft and makes no sense. Not to mention it makes the matches seem more like ping pong instead of football with all the possession changes.

GK distribution, at least in lower leagues, is still borked. I'm not talking about short distribution which works to a degree on attacking strategies (which in itself is weird, why can they only pass it short when the team is more attacking?) but long kicking. I mean if a keeper is poor at kicking I'd expect the ball to not clear the half-way line most of the times and frequently go out for a throw in. Instead they effortlessly whack it over everyone's heads each and every time to see it roll out for a goal kick or for the opposition keeper to pick up (and repeat the process.) It looks insanely daft and makes no sense.

Then please raise it in the bugs forum with PKM's and the save game so it can be looked into.

I doubt the save game is relevant, but I will upload something when I have more time. Have a few issues to raise anyway. Don't see any harm in posting it here as feedback either though or am I mistaken?

Well you are posting something you believe is an issue therefore it belongs in the bugs forum rather than here so it can be looked at. It's no good mentioning all these issues if you don't raise them in the bugs forum and can show it happening.

GK distribution, at least in lower leagues, is still borked. I'm not talking about short distribution which works to a degree on attacking strategies (which in itself is weird, why can they only pass it short when the team is more attacking?) but long kicking. I mean if a keeper is poor at kicking I'd expect the ball to not clear the half-way line most of the times and frequently go out for a throw in. Instead they effortlessly whack it over everyone's heads each and every time to see it roll out for a goal kick or for the opposition keeper to pick up (and repeat the process.) It looks insanely daft and makes no sense. Not to mention it makes the matches seem more like ping pong instead of football with all the possession changes.
Then please raise it in the bugs forum with PKM's and the save game so it can be looked into.

Yeah do that. I notice this also.

I also notice that there are some pretty weird clearances, but then I'm playing in Skrill South. It is hard to label this as a bug, more like an imbalance in the willingness to try a simple pass or something else instead of booting it out in panic. I know these are poor players, so it would be interesting to hear what people playing in better leagues think of the number of clearances and blind passes into space. I won't flag it as a bug at this point, given the early stages of the season with a new tactic and several new players.

People are posting about lots of injuries. I haven't noticed anything wrong with the number of injuries, but nearly all of the ones I have seen in-match have been caused by players kicking the ball then laying down. That's a bit weird, but could be a coincidence at such an early stage.

I must also point out that those seeing a lot of violent two-footed tackles should not see them as related to "tackling" at all. SI cannot include violence and criminal activities in their game, so all direct red cards in the game are either professional fouls, elbows or two-footed tackles. They represent all the direct red cards in football, so a two-footed tackle in the game can represent everything from fistfights to spittle or other unsporting, controversial and dirty acts.

With all due respect, the only thing it takes to see it happen is to watch a random lower league match between two very poor teams (although tbf mine is extremely poor so I'm bound to see even more of it.) But as said, I will upload anyway when I'm back home. It's still feedback though.

More on tangent though, what I like about the new version is that it seems to represent differences in player ability much more clearly. I see people on this thread comment on good attacking play and inventive passing, what I see from my own team of cloggers though is that whenever anyone tries anything even remotely ambitious the result is (predictably) horrific. It means you have to actually pay attention to what your players can or cannot do when setting up a team and that is very good. However, I still don't like the utter lack of composure from the backline. Sure, under any sort of pressure I expect defenders with poor mental attributes to whack it, but when no-one is closing them down they should at least attempt to direct it somewhere close to a teammate instead of 'taking no chances there' which means a long punt into absolutely random direction. I will include examples of that as well when I upload.

I have no idea what is going on with defenders now. So many AI through balls going through my middle, creating easy chances. I removed one DC from stopper duty so he doesn't drift away from his position and the other CD is on cover but it doesn't make any difference at all. I put one of my MC's to DMC to try and stop this,and it is better but still too much easy chances for AI. Plus the D line stands to high up the pitch when playing control. They almost stand on the centre line. The DC's are not holdnig their postion which they should in zonal marking, I have a DC/cover who is running to close down the attacker and thus is dragged out of position for the attacker to pass easy ball behind him for a CCC. And this stuff happens regularly. The DC/Cover should not be doing that! No matter what I do I can not make the DC's to not be dragged from their positions. Btw I lost only one game this far so it's not that I'm complaining or that it is my tactics obviously.

I have no idea what is going on with defenders now. So many AI through balls going through my middle, creating easy chances. I removed one DC from stopper duty so he doesn't drift away from his position and the other CD is on cover but it doesn't make any difference at all. I put one of my MC's to DMC to try and stop this,and it is better but still too much easy chances for AI. Plus the D line stands to high up the pitch when playing control. They almost stand on the centre line. The DC's are not holdnig their postion which they should in zonal marking, I have a DC/cover who is running to close down the attacker and thus is dragged out of position for the attacker to pass easy ball behind him for a CCC. And this stuff happens regularly. The DC/Cover should not be doing that! No matter what I do I can not make the DC's to not be dragged from their positions. Btw I lost only one game this far so it's not that I'm complaining or that it is my tactics obviously.

There are a few comments floating about regarding this defensive behaviour.

Do you have any Team Instructions which would prompt extra Closing Down?

EDIT - any Specific Man Marking?

Re the red card issue. I've played half a season with one team on the full version since the update, and around 6/7 games with another on classic, and it total, I've seen two red cards, so I'm really not seeing any issue with this. Checked the league stats for red cards too, and it's not any higher than I'd expect it to be. These are both continued save games, not sure if it would make a difference starting a new game.

Update is fantastic. Loving the game. Had a quality session on my Arsenal save last night, best session i've had on FM14 by a mile. Kudos SI. Had some fustrating results but that's mainly me being incapable of closing a game out once i get a lead :lol:.

Thought i would just drop this in here first because i expect it's been reported as a bug before, but i drew 2-2 with Spurs last night (90th minute equaliser, point and evidence of what i said above :lol:) and it said the fans were devastated with the result, because the fans hate losing to a rival? Sure it's been reported before but just happened to notice it last night.

Thought i would just drop this in here first because i expect it's been reported as a bug before, but i drew 2-2 with Spurs last night (90th minute equaliser, point and evidence of what i said above :lol:) and it said the fans were devastated with the result, because the fans hate losing to a rival? Sure it's been reported before but just happened to notice it last night.

This is definitely a known issue, and it has been reported a few times before.

Hopefully it might be addressed in the next update, it was probably deemed to be low priority to be fair.

This is definitely a known issue, and it has been reported a few times before.

Hopefully it might be addressed in the next update, it was probably deemed to be low priority to be fair.

Ah right brilliant, thanks. :)

My biggest concern from the last version seems not to be fixed. Players' match ratings are still too low and that really bugs my head. Even if your team wins the game, you get a lot of 6.6s, 6.7s, 6.8s... Here is an example:

147743510153507027775324.jpg

Here you can see that my team was leading 0-2 at the half time, and basically only the goal scorer has a good rating. All others have ratings below 7. Why is that? I have 2 other guys in that squad who assisted to those 2 goals, why don't they at least have the rating above 7, if no one else..? If the team lead 0-2 at the half time, it can't be just an acomplishment of one man can it?

This is just one example, but basically in every match the ratings are way below to what they used to be in FMs before this one. To lower them down a bit by purpose I can understand, but this is too much. A 6.7 rating cannot be an average rating for the team that leads, or for the team that wins. Again, I'd understand it if it was once (I lead, but generally play bad) but I can't comprehend it every time, I'm playing good and kicking opponents ass while the ratings are still low...

With the ME greatly this bothers me the most. Well, actually not only the GK kicks, but the long/high kicks in general. The ball physics are way off. As a result long balls are totally unrealistic. Every longer ball will run out for a throw in or goal kick unless the ball is played to a player exactly so he can stop it.

There seems to be no difference in how players hit the ball between shots and long(er) passes. The ball does not loose momentum on bounces, making it look more like those older artificial surface grounds that played so different from real grass. And the ground does not provide enough friction. The rolling ball looks more like a puck (which gives the comment 'he's on thin ice now' a whole new meaning, hehe).

There's a simple check for this: IRL a ball that just clears the middle (so the first bounce is around the kick off spot) does not reach the opponent's goal line. In the ME it would, every time.

As a result, certain plays are impossible in the ME. For instance, when the opponent defensive line pushes up, players can not play high balls over the defence for the wingers to chase.

This is the single structural shortcoming of the current ME, fixing this would make the ME amazing.

My biggest concern from the last version seems not to be fixed. Players' match ratings are still too low and that really bugs my head. Even if your team wins the game, you get a lot of 6.6s, 6.7s, 6.8s... Here is an example:

147743510153507027775324.jpg

Here you can see that my team was leading 0-2 at the half time, and basically only the goal scorer has a good rating. All others have ratings below 7. Why is that? I have 2 other guys in that squad who assisted to those 2 goals, why don't they at least have the rating above 7, if no one else..? If the team lead 0-2 at the half time, it can't be just an acomplishment of one man can it?

This is just one example, but basically in every match the ratings are way below to what they used to be in FMs before this one. To lower them down a bit by purpose I can understand, but this is too much. A 6.7 rating cannot be an average rating for the team that leads, or for the team that wins. Again, I'd understand it if it was once (I lead, but generally play bad) but I can't comprehend it every time, I'm playing good and kicking opponents ass while the ratings are still low...

Surely you mean match ratings are too high, like they have been in every FM game for many a year. Where are all the rankings under 6, particularly when you lose. They all seem to be clustered together between 6-9, whether you win or lose. One of my pet hates in the game, which makes rating players ridiculous, & tells you nothing of their ability and how they are doing. Also effects how the idiot fans see a player. If you ever play a match on full you will see on many occasions the ratings have no relation to how they are playing & actually find some players are better than you think they are.

Really loving this update. Last version did not feel quite right but now goals are being scored from everywhere, even the strikers! I'm seeing a bigger variety of goals as well, from through balls to dribbles to slick passing to headers on the ends of crosses.

The matches I play in actually looks realistic now and sorry to say if you aren't seeing this it really is your tactics :)

Things I have noticed so far (half a season completed)

1: Lobs over the keeper has gone up. I, for one, like it, but it's frustrating that you can't tell your keeper to stay nearer the goal and not rush out.

2: Penalty kicks have gone up considerable. I don't know if it's realistic, cause it's not just my players who fouls. I get a lot more goals scored on penalty.

3: Central defenders have a tendency to push a bit too much it seems when a midfielder goes on a run, often leaving a gap to be explored. This too goes both ways. Again, I'm not sure it's a bug and will try tinkering with the defensive options before complaining.

4: More goals. I guess it's something to do with less missed CCC. I prefer it this way to the patch before even if it's a tad unrealistic.

5: Double teaming: It's seems to be improved! My defensive minded MC (post-to-post or something like that in english?) is often running to cover the wings, even if it is covered by my back. It often leaves an easy open backpass to an opposing MC on the run towards the penalty area, but I can just change his role though, so it works really well when you need that extra pressure on the wings in defence.

6: Attacking corner kicks. The game does not seem to correctly calculate where I have no players present. My corner taker often put the ball to a specific spot near the back post, but I have specifically ordered no players to be near the back post. He's on random distribution but he should know that no players are going to be in the area he is aiming for.

7: Keeper distribution is still wonky. Better, but not optimal.

8: Headers: A lot better! Especially close to goal headers who previously almost always sailed over the bar.

9: the variation of play and goals is improved immensly! Well done!

10: For me the game seems to have gotten a lot easier, but I can see it's not the case for everybody. I use a couple of variations of 442 and they work really well.

11: Low rated 1/2-star players in B-team acting all hostile for not getting to play in the first team. Is this normal? They should realise that they have no chance in hell and everytime they do it, I just fire them. No biggie.

12: Can we please have en option to turn down job offers automatically? I get a lot of them and since I like to let the game process in the background with a timer I often find myself returning to the game only to find it stuck on a day because I have to decline a job-offer.

• Administrators

For those that have asked about the demo, this has also been updated to 14.1.4, same code and ME as the full game. Thanks.

Maybe i have some real difficulty in expressing.

My god, this remembers me when, "pre-patch", i was moaning on the forum about the game bugs: i swear, dozens of people saying me (someone in a really harsh way) that it was all my fault, to read, learn, the game is good ecc.

Then the patch, with significant changes (at least from what is written) and i think that nobody said "sorry, it was not all your fault". But that's okay.

What's not okay it's to continue to accuse to moan a user that simply can't make a reason to see his favourite game turned into this "thing", so unrealistic, with these results, with no difference if you face Barcelona or Granada. With tactics error that means that your super-player forget how to play football, the basis.

Anyway, maybe if i repeat it will be clear: i don't care to win. I win some matches, pre-patch too. It's HOW the game is running. It's my match, it's CPU match, it's how the "simulated world" goes.

It's 30 shots in a match, it's 6-5, 7-5, 5-3, 4-4 and the fact that someone can define this "normal". I wonder if it's a joke, really.

I went on the tactic forum, see what's wrong, ask, wait, see full matches (even the friendly with amateur opponents) but that's not the point. I doesn't care to win, i want to play a realistic football simulation and as you can tell this is NOT realistic.

I love to see a match with 10+ goals, but it must be rare. I love to see 4-5 goals of a striker in a day of grace. But it must be A DAY. Not one week in and one week out.

Also noticed issues with goalkeeper distribution. It appears to be particularly noticeable when you use the specific player option. Has anyone had much luck with their keeper distributing it short to their centre backs? It might be partly to do with my team instructions so it would be interesting to know if anyone else can get this to work as expected right now. The tactic i had envisioned was kind of reliant upon short distribution from the keeper so i'm eager to find a solution.

Really struggling since the new patch. My 3-2-2-1-2 formation was working a treat before hand, but now defensively it's fallen to pieces. Just can't seem to reduce the gap between my defence and the keeper, and the opposition simply long ball it into that space. I am beginning to think I may need to revert to a sweeper system.....

Also noticed issues with goalkeeper distribution. It appears to be particularly noticeable when you use the specific player option. Has anyone had much luck with their keeper distributing it short to their centre backs? It might be partly to do with my team instructions so it would be interesting to know if anyone else can get this to work as expected right now. The tactic i had envisioned was kind of reliant upon short distribution from the keeper so i'm eager to find a solution.

A trend is that people seeing issues are distributing to specific players; it could be that this specific distribution is bugged.

See what happens if you just use the more generic "Distribute To Defenders" instruction. This more often than not will go towards your full backs, and the movement of full backs was specifically tweaked in the last update to improve that sort of distribution.

If people specifically distributing to a full back and that looks duff, then I'd say there's a definite need to post in the Bugs Forum with a .pkm.

To state the obvious, the keeper won't distribute to the designated player 100% of the time. That player might be under pressure, or the keeper might spot a pass elsewhere that he deems to be "better" at that point in time.

• SI Staff
Maybe i have some real difficulty in expressing.

My god, this remembers me when, "pre-patch", i was moaning on the forum about the game bugs: i swear, dozens of people saying me (someone in a really harsh way) that it was all my fault, to read, learn, the game is good ecc.

Then the patch, with significant changes (at least from what is written) and i think that nobody said "sorry, it was not all your fault". But that's okay.

What's not okay it's to continue to accuse to moan a user that simply can't make a reason to see his favourite game turned into this "thing", so unrealistic, with these results, with no difference if you face Barcelona or Granada. With tactics error that means that your super-player forget how to play football, the basis.

Anyway, maybe if i repeat it will be clear: i don't care to win. I win some matches, pre-patch too. It's HOW the game is running. It's my match, it's CPU match, it's how the "simulated world" goes.

It's 30 shots in a match, it's 6-5, 7-5, 5-3, 4-4 and the fact that someone can define this "normal". I wonder if it's a joke, really.

I went on the tactic forum, see what's wrong, ask, wait, see full matches (even the friendly with amateur opponents) but that's not the point. I doesn't care to win, i want to play a realistic football simulation and as you can tell this is NOT realistic.

I love to see a match with 10+ goals, but it must be rare. I love to see 4-5 goals of a striker in a day of grace. But it must be A DAY. Not one week in and one week out.

No-one is defining what you are describing as normal. The problem is you appear to be in a tiny minority in seeing it.

Have you uploaded pkms and/or your save to the bugs forum?

A trend is that people seeing issues are distributing to specific players; it could be that this specific distribution is bugged.

See what happens if you just use the more generic "Distribute To Defenders" instruction. This more often than not will go towards your full backs, and the movement of full backs was specifically tweaked in the last update to improve that sort of distribution.

If people specifically distributing to a full back and that looks duff, then I'd say there's a definite need to post in the Bugs Forum with a .pkm.

To state the obvious, the keeper won't distribute to the designated player 100% of the time. That player might be under pressure, or the keeper might spot a pass elsewhere that he deems to be "better" at that point in time.

Complaints about the GK not distributing to defenders in the previous ME were wrong, IMHO. My GK did that most of the time, and when he didn't do that was reasonable: my defenders were all marked.

I used this team instructions "Play out of Defence" and for my GK "Distribute to Defenders" and "Pass it Shorter".

It says it is removing it from my budget, the point is at this time of the year just 3 weeks from that date I will have my new budget and this should be taken into consideration when signing a player in closed season.

We don't have to pay the money up front, maybe a message saying that the board will back the transfer but the funds will be removed from the new budget which will be set in 3 weeks.

I would imagine in real life if a team knew they were going to have the money in 3 weeks and had the chance of such a good signing the board would back them, if by unseen circumstances the money was not there then the transfer could be cancelled on the 1st of July with a message saying there were not enough funds.

It is just slightly annoying knowing the money would be there in 3 weeks but I lost out on a good signing because the AI wants the money in close season without taking into consideration that the new budgets are imminent.

I think it has to work that way or you could just agree deals on loads of players.

Complaints about the GK not distributing to defenders in the previous ME were wrong, IMHO. My GK did that most of the time, and when he didn't do that was reasonable: my defenders were all marked.

I used this team instructions "Play out of Defence" and for my GK "Distribute to Defenders" and "Pass it Shorter".

This is what I do, and I agree that this combination works very well.

There are signs from feedback here that if you don't use "Distribute To Defenders" and instead distribute to a specific player, that distribution is less reliable.

For anyone who feels that goalkeeper distribution to a specific player is an issue, please upload .pkms to the thread linked below, and don't forget to mention the times at which you are seeing poor distribution:

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/375999-Reviewed-14.1.4-GK-Distribution-still-hoofing-it-up-field.

I've been enjoying this version more than others at this stage of the game's development, and although there were and still are bugs they are not making the game less enjoyable.

One thing I've noticed since update my scouting costs have gone through the roof they are now £12,197 and only halfway through month, my total wage costs stand at £2,370, before update just started to make small profits maybe a few hundred pounds a month now making losses of 7 to 12 thousand pounds a month. not sure if just me or if anyone else having same problem.

I'm playing as Evesham at Southern D1 SW level 8 of National Pyramid.

Excellent stuff, can’t say I’ve noticed any red card issues, most if not all of the problems that I had noticed seem to have been fixed.

1. There are now far less shots

2. CCCs and HCs better calculated

3. Pressing now higher up the pitch

4. Headers now with much better trajectory

5. One on ones now seem to be the proper balance between the skill of attacker and the skill of the GK

6. Now this may seem odd but it’s impressing me, the players on the pitch now seem to reflect their skill levels much better, ie players with poor passing, miss hit passes, players with poor off the ball skills fail to read the game properly and don’t always read the next pass, it all looks much more realistic.

So much this. Thank you SI for this update!

Also a nice touch that wasn't there before AFAIK, is the tag "world class" in the scouting report regarding a players potential.

Only played a couple matches but the game overall feels much better. Will report back later after I've played some more :)

The ME looks/feels more natural, that's a good thing. Not sure how much of it is just eye candy, but i do see a lot of backheels and little flicks being played in my 3 AMC short passing set-up.

However, it appears tutoring hasn't been fixed yet? Still a 6 months cool down period, and hardly any ppm's get transferred from tutor to younger player. This makes me very very very sad as I'm trying to develop all thiw ownderful Ajax talent with the help of the likes of Seedorf & Litmanen. I hope SI fix the tutoring before these guys die.....in game that is :)

My feed back is not good, Ive been trying to give this game a chance and after update 14.4 was hopeful... sigh.

Ive just watched the most BS game i have ever had the misfortune to sit and watch... Im Fulham v Tottenham (Away). Classic mode so no tactic per-match needed.

They play a 42(CM)31 - i would guess Attack. I play a 42(Anchor+BWM(S))3(WM/AM)1 Counter. The two DMs will clog up the middle and close down the CMs and AM, the WM will offer help to the FBs, my AM will also help with the CMs - solid I would think... sigh.

Their two CMs combine for 320 passes at 89%! My Anchor (Parker) sits near halfway in front of my AM for most of the game doing nothing, while my BWM sits next to my CBs also doing nothing - neither press, neither tackle. Total tackles attempted from my two defensive mids 3!

BWM = press like crazy to try and win back the ball high upfield?

Anchor = stay in the middle and protect the CBs?

Im trying just watching the match engine to see what it does - no team instructions, no player instructions - just let it play... and im sorry but its terrible.

My feed back is not good.....and im sorry but its terrible.

First of all, sorry to hear that your perception so far isn't good.

Was this the only game you have watched?

The BWM and Anchor don't sound as if they are behaving as expected, that's for sure.

Could you post screenshots of your tactics in the Tactics and Training Forum please?

It's a shame it was on FMC, because the Heat Maps would be telling.

I suspect Spurs didn't use an Attacking mentality, and that their MC duo was operating relatively unchallenged in the huge gap between your DM and AM lines.

The pass count does sound exceptionally high, but if they were relatively unchallenged and using a high tempo short passing style, it isn't completely inconceivable.

Archived