FM14 - Wolfsburg

DirtyJoe

VfL WOLFSBURG

2rl4.png

BACKGROUND

Ever since its sensational run to the Bundesliga title in 2009, Wolfsburg has been trying to establish itself as one of the teams that perennially makes one of the European competitions.Instead of competing in the Champions League or the Europa League, however, Wolfsburg usually has ended trying to avoid relegation.

Financially supported by Volkswagen, Europe's biggest automaker, Wolfsburg has gone through scores of players and half a dozen coaches since 2009 seeking that elusive success, to no avail, despite millions spent. Former England manager Steve McClaren lasted half a year.This season was no different. Wolfsburg's proclaimed goal of qualifying for Europe quickly turned into another season to forget.

The club fired coach Felix Magath, who had been brought back in an attempt to repeat his coaching success from 2009.Wolfsburg lured Klaus Allofs from Werder Bremen to become its manager and he in turn persuaded Dieter Hecking to leave Nuremberg and sign on as coach. Hecking has the reputation of being a solid, long-term coach.

According to a recent report in the newsmagazine Der Spiegel, Wolfsburg has the second biggest annual salary bill in the Bundesliga after Bayern. Brazilian midfielder Diego — once chased away by Magath for refusing to be a substitute, only to be accepted back by the coach — reportedly earns €8.2 million ($11 million) a year. That's more than Javier Garcia Sanz makes in his capacity as a board member of Volkswagen in charge of procurement and who runs the football club enterprise.

Another media report said Volkswagen spent €67.5 million ($91 million) on the club just in the year after it won the championship. Under Magath, the squad grew to nearly 40 players — and had little to show for it.

k8op.jpg

CLUB INFORMATION

The city of Wolfsburg sits in northern Saxony, nestle between Hanover (Fierce Rivals) and Berlin and Hamburg to the North. VfL Wolfsburg has now been some fifteen years in the top flight of the Bundesliga without interruption and is long since an established force. Looking back to the beginning of the club’s success story, one particular occurrence remains unforgettable – an occurrence that dates back 20 years this year! Exactly two decades ago, after many years of third division football, VfL Wolfsburg returned to the second division. Beginning with promotion in 1992, the club has only a single Bundesliga Title to its name in 2009.

vo9r.png

The current stadium is called “VOLKSWAGEN ARENA” with the official opening in December of 2002 with strong to ties with the local car manufacturer Volkswagon, which also doubles has the clubs’ major sponsor to the tune of $55M per season.

rauh.png

FINANCES

The club have allocated $12.5M on transfers funds, and could be increased to $16M if you target European Qualification. However you are very committed to rather large salary commitment of $1.25M per week, due to some high profile players. I think you will need to look at trying to offload some of the high earned to allow you room to make new signings.

Current Balance - $44.6M

Projected Balance - $104M

MANAGEMENT TEAM

I would recommend to look at replacing as many of your coaching staff as you can, as they are not really at a high standard.

c6j5.png

SCOUTING TEAM

Scouting team needs an overall, as you have one quality scout. You can pick up another 5-6 quality scouts on free contracts.

dwgc.png

FIRST TEAM

The first team has currently 20 players within the squad, of which 6 of are "Trained in Nation" and 6 are "Trained at Club" If the opportunity arises you should look at signing players trained in Nation.

GOAL KEEPERS

Diego Benaglio is your only first team choice, Grun is only a back up at best. You will need to look for a suitable keeper to challenge the Captian.

Team Rating - Good

Potential Targets - Kevin Trapp (Frankfurt) - $5-7M, Benoit Costil (Rennes) - $3m or out of contract.

4b4q.png

DEFENDERS

Unlike seasons before you are light on at the back for quality, Naldo, Trasch and Rodriguez will be your key players at the back. New signing Klose will challenge up and coming home grown talent Robin Knoche to partner Naldo. You have covers in the full back positions in Schafer and Ochs, with Fagner out on loan for 6 months.

Team Rating - Good

Potential Targets - Matthias Ginter (Frieburg) $7.5M, Domenic Heintz (Kasierslautern) $5M

h7q1.png

MIDFIELDERS

The midfield has undergone some changes with some departures during the off season. But the club have managed to sign Luiz Gustavo from Bayern who will boss the midfield in either a defensive midfield position or a more central position for the team. Koo Ja-Cheol has returned from loan and should be offered a new contract as he has a low minimum release fee and should feature in your first team plans. However the side does lack another quality midfielder to support Gustavo.

Team Rating - Good

Potential Signings - Sebastian Rodes (Frankfurt) - $5.75M, Manual Fernandes (Besiktas) - $8.5M or end of contract 2014

mtqi.png

FORWARDS

As for out and out forwards you will be relying on Olic and Bas Dost to lead the line, which will most likely see you paling a lone striker up front. Not all is lost you have Diego your best player, and ex-Dortmund player Ivan Perisic and exciting up and coming winger/inside forward Julian Brandt. New signing Daniel Caligiuri from Frieburg who is out for 2 months. You have enough up front to cause enough to threaten the opposition, but could do with another out & out striker and right sided winger.

Team Rating - Good

Potential Signings - Tim Werner (Stuttgart) - $7.5M, Kevin Volland (Hoffenhiem) $9M, Thomas Murg (Austria Wien) $1.8M, Patrick Herrman (Gladbach) - $7.5M

no42.png

OVERALL

You have backbone of a very good team with quality key players where needed. But you will need to consider a number of positions going forward? 1) revamp the entire squad and offload your higher earners and look to build a team for the next 2 seasons. or 2) work with what you have, with the likes of Diego and Olic's contracts expiring at the end of the season, which you could lose for nothing. You will need to control the wages as $1.2M is to much for a 30k stadium to support alone.

Strengths - Well balanced squad, with no glaring weakness in any area.

Weakness - No quality forward and lack of cover on the right side and centrally.

Youth Prospects - Maximillian Arnold, Robin Knoche and Julian Brandt are all highly rated and should figure in your first team plans as rotation players.

TEAM PHILOSOPHY

The team is very capable of challenging for a European qualification spot, although you may take a conservative approach if you decide to reshape the team completely. The default formation of 4231 is best suited for your personnel in either an attacking or defensive 42DM31. A 451 makes a very good back up tactic for tough away games.

amea.png

4-2-3-1

An attacking formation that allows for your best players to attack, whilst holding very well at the back. Mentally will be decided by your opponent, home and away fixtures. It will limit your effective full backs in Rodriguez and Trasch who are just about the best in the league.

4-2DM-3-1

This version puts Gustavo in his natural position, and would be very effective on a counter with the aim of blocking the middle of the pitch. Be sure to tick "clear tot Flanks" and have Diego as a Shadow Striker to arrive late in the box.

4-5-1

The classic counter tactic exploiting your strengths on the flanks and quick players to put the opposition under pressure very quickly. Olic is super quick, but can be a bit wayward at times and Vieirinha on the right to add support.

OVERALL

Wolfsburg can be on the verge to challenge for the title and European glory. If you set a foundation in the first season, you could achieve both by season 3. You will need to bring your wages under control to around the $800-900K per week, which I think is doable. Astute signings and looking for development bargains will help add to your coffers and squad depth. Always look to add young German National stars and don't fall into the trap of overpaying for older players, who will demand higher wages.

With the Bundesliga you will need a squad of between 20-24 players at the most, make sure you have a constant signing of youth players coming through each year. I recommend that if you should have one 4 star youth prospect in each area (Keeper, Defence, midfield, forward) each season, if you don't produce one, then go and buy one.

Great post. Wolfsburg have some talented youth. I've been really impressed with Knoche and Arnold this season IRL.

The use of $ was confusing though. Is that US or Aus. I always use Euros when managing in Germany. Makes it easier to compare to real life.

Superb! Wolfsburg are my German side if I had to choose one. Simply because like many people I always do a journeyman career when each FM comes out and that save lasts me until the next FM comes out. Doing that I obviously get attatched to some teams on my journey and Wolfsburg was one. Likely back around fm11 or 12 time.

Great to see them get such a well displayed thread. Well done chap!

Im playing with Wolfe and i did very well on first season with team. I finished 3rd after Dortmund and Bayern Munich and earned straight place in next season Champions League!

Signings 2013/2014

http://tinypic.com/r/2hdprgl/5

Standings 2013/2014

http://tinypic.com/r/2iwac9/5

My key player was Diego for sure. I was struggling with my strikers first, Bas Dost and Ivica Olic was very very wasteful at first, but then Dost started find the net and scored 16 goals in Bundesliga. Kevin Volland was disappointing and im expecting much more than 1 goal in 17 apps next season.

Season 2014/2015

So i couldnt manage get Diego sign new contract with much lower wage so i let him go with couple big earners Schäfer, Lakic and Vieirinha. Now im spending on wages 74M€/per year and im aiming lowering it even more in the season.

Signings 2014/2015

http://tinypic.com/r/2libqiq/5

Squad 2014/2015

http://tinypic.com/r/wciu8m/5

I bought Giuliano from Dnipro to be my new Diego and i think he can play same level as him. Mitrovic was big buy from Anderlecht and he is very exciting player. I cant wait to see how good he will turn. Ginter is future German national team defender and i think he can take Naldos place from starting 11.

Starting 11

http://tinypic.com/r/21owqb5/5

Knoche and Arnold both took starting roles and Brandt came from bench almost every match and did well too. Im planning to give hometown boys even more role in the team and i think Brandt will take hes spot upcoming season.

Knoche

http://tinypic.com/r/241tc7q/5

Arnold

http://tinypic.com/r/2d7wwll/5

Brandt

http://tinypic.com/r/344vdc2/5

Im starting next season this weekend. Opening match of season is Dortmund at Volkswagen Arena.

Unless my iPad is deceiving me, I'm pretty sure the $ sign you used in your write up isn't the sterling pound symbol...

You are correct, I run sterling in my game, just my preference.

Im playing with Wolfe and i did very well on first season with team. I finished 3rd after Dortmund and Bayern Munich and earned straight place in next season Champions League!

Signings 2013/2014

http://tinypic.com/r/2hdprgl/5

Standings 2013/2014

http://tinypic.com/r/2iwac9/5

My key player was Diego for sure. I was struggling with my strikers first, Bas Dost and Ivica Olic was very very wasteful at first, but then Dost started find the net and scored 16 goals in Bundesliga. Kevin Volland was disappointing and im expecting much more than 1 goal in 17 apps next season.

Season 2014/2015

So i couldnt manage get Diego sign new contract with much lower wage so i let him go with couple big earners Schäfer, Lakic and Vieirinha. Now im spending on wages 74M€/per year and im aiming lowering it even more in the season.

Signings 2014/2015

http://tinypic.com/r/2libqiq/5

Squad 2014/2015

http://tinypic.com/r/wciu8m/5

I bought Giuliano from Dnipro to be my new Diego and i think he can play same level as him. Mitrovic was big buy from Anderlecht and he is very exciting player. I cant wait to see how good he will turn. Ginter is future German national team defender and i think he can take Naldos place from starting 11.

Starting 11

http://tinypic.com/r/21owqb5/5

Knoche and Arnold both took starting roles and Brandt came from bench almost every match and did well too. Im planning to give hometown boys even more role in the team and i think Brandt will take hes spot upcoming season.

Knoche

http://tinypic.com/r/241tc7q/5

Arnold

http://tinypic.com/r/2d7wwll/5

Brandt

http://tinypic.com/r/344vdc2/5

Im starting next season this weekend. Opening match of season is Dortmund at Volkswagen Arena.

Nice work. I am currently trying to sell Diego, and going to play without a AMC. For some reason I struggle to get that formation to work, as I like at least one inside forward, so I think it takes up the same space.

You are correct, I run sterling in my game, just my preference.

Sorry, I didn't mean it like that. I meant the figures you typed out, were they supposed to be pound or euros or did you convert them to Australian. You started off with Euros and converted to dollars then continue to use dollars, whereas your screens are pound. Was just double checking whether those figures have been converted.

Anyways, Knopper congrats on making 3rd. Knoche looks really good! Did Diego ask for even more to sign?

Those are some good signings, especially Süle and Ginter. Set for the future. Where'd Klose go?

Timm Klose plays in reserves cause im trying sell him and hes injured so no bids from other teams. He just didnt perform well in first season.

Diego played very good season so he wanted 12M€/per year and board was willing give only 5M€/per year. Now hes free agent but im not really interested sign him back even if i could.

Season 2013/2014

SEPTEMBER

Transfer Updates -

Out -

Olic - Released on a free

Felipe - Season Loan

Ochs - Season Loan

Was not able to move out Diego, despite Inter, Everton and Southampton all making bids, but all could not free up enough funds to finalise the deal.

In -

Sebastian Rode (Frankfurt) - $4.6M - 22yr old box to box or ball winning midfielder, a future National player and at a very good price.

Timo Werner (Stuttgart) - $6.25M - The hottest German prospect going around, can play either as an Advance Forward/Poacher or as a Inside Forward.

Albin Ekdal (Calgliari) - $2.2M - At that price Albin is a steel! A deep lying playmaker, who can tackle.

Vincenzo Laquinta - Free - At 33yrs, a solid back up for Dost.

Ivan Obradovic - Free - A cheap cover for both left and right back, wages were also quite low.

LEAGUE

A fantastic start to the season with good wins against Gladbach and Augesburg with 17yr old Brandt finding the net in both games. A tough draw at home against fierce rivals Hannover was bitter. We were totally out played away to Dortmund, scoring a consolation goal and missed another good chance late.

September's fixtures see us playing Frieburg, newly promoted Braunschweig, Augesburg DFB-Pokal, and finale Leverkusen at home.

fkxt.png

TACTICS/FORMATION

I am playing a 4-5-1 as in my opening posts, with a 4-2-3-1 as a back up my settings are below -

zcc0.png

Interesting decision letting Olic go. His wages are high I know (EUR 5mn per year?). His speed was always amazing and he always works for the team but his finishing is terrible. When I play Wolfsburg I always give Dost the nod ahead of Olic and either play him as an AML or backup striker, so I can see why you let him go. Rode is a great purchase as well as Werner and Ekdal.

Have you tried Perisic as a WTM? His heading and stats seem to fit that role.

Season 2013/2014

SEPTEMBER

A shaky start to Freiburg, who scored first, but we were able to peg them back after a half time sub Werner came on for Dost. A lucky escape in the DFB-Pokal as an own goal got us out of jail. To finish the month with 4 wins, after terrific display against Leverkusen with Dost scoring 4 from 6 starts.

Early season form from Gustavo and Veiriniha has held the team in good stead. Diego or Laquinta have not featured yet, but new signing Obradovic looks more than capable at either full back position.

u06p.png

Season 2013/2014

OCTOBER

A good solid away win against Nurnburg, followed by a injury time loss to Bayern, Perisic scored from a set piece to level the scores, thought I may have gotten lucky, it was not to be. A good 4-2 home win against Maniz, Dost again finding the net with goals from our midfield. We are really starting to play some good football.

qzy7.png

NOVEMBER

We continued in good form in November but dropped points away to Schalke and a scoreless draw at home. Dost, Perisic and Rode all putting in good performances.

zfv3.png

DECEMBER

Picking up 7 points from a possible 9 was promising to see us through to the winter break. Dost scoring in all 3 league matches to continue his scoring for the season, taking his tally 10 from 16 starts. Perisic leads the assist charts with 9 and 6 goals from 18 starts and Vieirinha 6 assist and 2 goals from 16 starts. The captain Benaglio has kept 8 clean sheets thus far in the league.

lxtn.png

OVERALL

We are probably performing above expectations thus far, Rode, Ekdal and Gustavo have formed a key central midfield group and are now linking up really nice. Brandt has come mainly of the bench but has scored 3 goals from either as an Inside Forward (left) or as a Winger (right). New signing Caligiuri has struggle to break into the side, featuring on 5 sub appearances. Knoche has kept Klose out of the starting side with some very good performances pairing with Naldo.

Hot Prospect Arnold has been out injured an has just recover to full match fitness and should start to figure in the second half of the season. Diego has been offload to Newcastle for $2.5M (Sterling) prior to the January window and Polak has been released on a free. Malanda's loan has been extended for another 6 months and Fagner is due back in January, but Trasch has been our best player to date.

yghe.png

Season 2013/2014

JANUARY/FEBRUARY

Recommencing after the winter break with a nice win at home against Augsburg scoring 3 goals. Kool-Jeol departed for $5M(sterling) and we touted Klose around without success. We did manage to sign Central Defender Balanta who will replace Klose and Freddy Kanoute on a free to add back up support up from, as Laqunita is constantly injured, and leaving at the end of the season.

hqmn.png

MARCH

A poor home win against lowly placed Nurnberg and another loss against Baryen. We travelled to Mainz for a great 3 nil win and a draw away and a disspointing home loss to Werder rounded out March.

f4k7.png

The run home should see us take a Champions League spot, but we are out of the title race as Dortmund and Bayern are streets ahead in quality to our side. We should be able to hold off Schalke who we play at home in the next few games and we have Frankfurt away which will be tricky, apart from that we should pick up enough points.

fquv.png

Season 2013/2014

APRIL

A nice 1 nil win away to Stuttgart, but struggle to put away chances to Schalke and the Hertha match we were very wasteful. However our form turned around against HSV and Frankfurt, with favourable results going our way, saw Bayern suffer a defeat as we moved into second spot. A brilliant 4 nil win at home topped off a superb season, which we did perform better than expected. I was very fortunate with injuries though out the year, without losing any key players, with only Trasch for 4 weeks.

klzn.png

8i6s.png

8r2p.png

SUMMARY

Dost had a productive season with 17 from 37, but was not as lethal as I would have liked. Perisic was good, but I se Brandt taking his position during the next season, so he maybe surplus at $38K per week wages. Veiriniha was very good, but has ppm of cutting, so we were not able to exploit his great crossing skills.

Looking to add another midfielder and replace any losses over the summer. At the moment, Klose, Caligiuiri, Grun and Obradovic who are all looking to move on after not getting enough game time. If the opportunity arises I may move on Naldo to release the wages and possibly Gustavo if I receive a great offer.

The future of the team will be based around, Werner, Brandt, Rode, Rodriguez, Balanta and Arnold. Malanda's future is still undecided, he maybe able to replace Gustavo if he departs.

Transfer Targets - Gabriel Iancu, Ter Stegen, Matthias Ginter

Very nice season. You had the best defense. What happened to Bayern. Only 49 goals? Did they struggle with injuries? Dortmund had a great season. Amazing number of goals. And almost 20 points difference to the rest.

Very nice season. You had the best defense. What happened to Bayern. Only 49 goals? Did they struggle with injuries? Dortmund had a great season. Amazing number of goals. And almost 20 points difference to the rest.

I actually did even notice I had the best defence? Trasch, Naldo, Knoche (Balanta), Rodriguiez, with Gustavo sitting in front of the back 4. Bayern dropped a number of easy games including a 1 nil lost to bottom side Braunschweig. Dortmund were very impressive, I have only managed to beat them once thus far.

Season 2014/2015

AUGUST/SEPTEMBER/OCTOBER/NOVEMBER/DECEMBER

Our first ever win over Dortmund in the Supercup, Then a we strung a good number of games together until we got knocked over by Gladbach, then struggled for the next 2 matches.

Lost Werner for 8 weeks, Kanounte and Khalifa struggled up front in his absence. I moved Iancu from the midfield to play the lone striker, which has work a treat, as he now leads the league with 9 goals and from 15 games. Dost who is out on loan to Hoffenheim also leads the scoring with 9 as well.

51gf.png

CHAMPIONS LEAGUE

Finished the top of our group, with our form getting better in every match.

j8mb.png

August 2014

Fixtures

2n03r07.png

Standings

hs56k6.png

UCL Group C

op34av.png

Horrible start for season. Dortmund game was ok, we had our chances but we didnt score. Then we travelled to Stuttgart to get our ass kicked ugly way. Worst defeat in my FM history for sure. Next match we had chance to bounce back but thanks to horrible defence Kaiserlautern managed to get easy point from Volkswagen Arena. Next away againts Mainz we get our first win but still defenders played very very badly and that almost cost that match. Kevin Volland 3 games 5 goals, finally he has found the net. My key player for sure, he is amazing.

UCL group C where we are competing is very tough. I think we have chance to get knockout phase, but still we are the underdogs of group for sure.

Season 2014/2015

MAY/JUNE

A dissapointing end to the season dropping important points in the last few games of the season cost us the title. We still have not managed to beat Bayern in any competition or Dortmund apart for the Super Cup Final. The loss to Werder Bremen was costly and we had ample chances against Frankfurt an Bayern at home but just could get the winner.

7uvn.png

i0do.png

Player development has progressed very well with my front 3 of Werner / Iancu / Brandt should start to figure for the next 4 years as I have tied them to all long term contracts as well as Defender Knoche.

387y.png

0soh.png

ickn.png

ms7e.png

How good is Kevin Volland in your save? Iancu looks quality, but have you checked out Stanciu from Steaua? He looks like real superstar in making also. Id love to have them both and i might do something about it in january.

How is your finances? It seems like you are getting UCL football every year now.

Kevin Volland has just moved to PSG for $27M (Sterling), he looks good and was a potential transfer target, but I was not going to pay that much. I have just sold Salvio to Bayern for $20M (Sterling) a nice $11M profit after one season and I brought in Patrick Herman for $5M (sterling) as his replacement.

Current Balance is $127M (sterling) project to be $222M (sterling)

Thanks for the tip for Stanciu, I have added him to my transfer target I might make a check bid for $5M (Sterling).

Great work on your season Joe. Those youngster are developing well. Shame about Brandt's mental attributes, but as already said a good tutor or two could greatly boost his personality which should result in better development. Still young though.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...

Archived