Declining Potential

I'm in my 5th season managing Derby and I have a lot of young players with high potential in my team. I have noticed that the potential star rating for a lot of them has declined season on season, I just want to know what I am doing wrong for this to happen.

My training facilities and youth facilities have been upgraded and are now top for both, and my junior coaching is excellent. I also have at least 4* training for each training type.

The best example of this happening is Mason Bennett, he started off with 4.5* potential and now at the age of 21 he has 1.5* potential. I played him regularly while I was in the championship and have loaned him out so he played more once I was promoted to the Prem.

Has this happened to anyone else before and what have I done wrong for this to happen?

Usually happens when you bring in better players. At the start, the potential of the youth team is compared to the first team, but if the first team players get better and better, that potential will drop because the youth player's PA is now much lower than those in the first team.

Their potential isn't dropping.

The star ratings are based on your players and those in the league you are in. If you have a 5* PA younster and you bring in another youngster with greater PA, then the starr rating of the initial player may drop a little. It doesn't mean he hasn't got the same potential as before.

And that's why we should have the option to rate our players with players from our own squad ( like now is) and rate them compared to the league for exp. so i can know if some young player is really a new Messi or just a new El Sharawy

The best thing to look for is the description not the star rating. Eg. "Has the potential to be a good Bundesliga player". I've found it a better guideline than the star ratings.

In your case you had a high star rating player that was compared to the league you were in. So you might have thought his 4.5 star rating will mean he's going to be a beast, but in fact it was relative to that league. So if you read the description it should have said has the potential to be a quality Championship player, for instance. Upon being promoted to the Premier League he will now be rated against those players in the league. So he becomes an average Premier League player or something along those lines.

As the others have said your squad has also gotten better so while he looked good before, he no longer is as good compared to your new signings.

Archived