U18/U21 - what is the point?

I tend to have the best assistant manager I can find and get him to manage the U21 and U18 squad. I figure it saves me money. But am I missing something?

I also tend not to have a 'Head of Youth Development'. What am I missing out on there? :confused:

What you save through the week, you'll lose through the window

Youth manager is like a youth coach. If you look at training window, youth manager acts like a youth coach.

Other than that, they aren't much different. But if you have enough money and you have 2nd team or B team in a competitive league, you will want to set up a good youth academy setup that connects well into 2nd or B team of your own. (Germany, Norway, Swiss and etc have 2/B team in competitive leagues).

In my Norway save where 2nd team competes with other teams in 2nd division, I have full youth academy set up in order to produce better young players who will enter 2nd team for further maturing. My U18 team has its own manager, assman, coaches, physio and so on. Basically, my U18 is a club of its own and acts as a feeder club for my 2nd team that, again, has its own manager, assman, coaches, and physio.

• 2 weeks later...
In my Norway save where 2nd team competes with other teams in 2nd division, I have full youth academy set up in order to produce better young players who will enter 2nd team for further maturing. My U18 team has its own manager, assman, coaches, physio and so on. Basically, my U18 is a club of its own and acts as a feeder club for my 2nd team that, again, has its own manager, assman, coaches, and physio.

Hey alucasa, I also want to have it a little bit set up like this, in the Netherlands you now have the same for some teams (Twente, Ajax, PSV have their B team in the 2nd league). So I hired a Reserve Team Manager for my B team, but do you know if it is possible for him to sign players for his team as well? Currently his squad is very small, and therefore I want him to sign a few players.

According to the rules IRL, the manager of a reserve team in the Eerste division, ie Jong Ajax, PSV or Twente, are eligible to sign players from other clubs but only during the transfer window of said country.

A player is still allowed to move from first to reserve team as long as they have not made more than 15 appearances for the first team.

well irl it would be to much work for the head of development and assitant manager to take care of managing a team aswell as their primary role. That obviously isn't an issue in the game but it's more realistic to have someone in that position. I have Brendan Rodgers managing my liverpool U18's :D

I tend not to bother, just leave it to the assistant

I've found that my facilities are good enough for my players to develop (naturally until they're 19) then they get put into the u21s, loaned (if high potential and not good enough for first team), or sold for profit

Archived