Will FM09 launch be delayed due to competition with FML?

I feel its disgraceful that you have to pay £6 a month to play a game anyway, you're gonna need to buy it at the shops anyway so why charge extra just to play it online??? Is this just another way to bleed money out of people who in reality can't afford it but will make themselves that little bit more skint just to play a game which in reality will be the same as FM09 online but making up your own club? If you want it so desperately how about you advertise it and then people can say what clubs they want with whichever players!?

I feel its disgraceful that you have to pay £6 a month to play a game anyway, you're gonna need to buy it at the shops anyway so why charge extra just to play it online??? Is this just another way to bleed money out of people who in reality can't afford it but will make themselves that little bit more skint just to play a game which in reality will be the same as FM09 online but making up your own club? If you want it so desperately how about you advertise it and then people can say what clubs they want with whichever players!?

firstly FML is a service more than a game there are NO other changes to it than the monthly cost as the client is a free download.

like i said in my earlier post they are not at all the same game you don't even pick real teams its a more detailed and involving fantasy football like the old "by post" fantasy football games but real time.

May i suggest reading up on it a bit more and you might understand. this is one of the many blogs by FML testers giving an insight into the game http://fmlmod.blogspot.com/

I feel its disgraceful that you have to pay £6 a month to play a game anyway, you're gonna need to buy it at the shops anyway so why charge extra just to play it online?

The program will be free. The subscription is the only cost.

Is this just another way to bleed money out of people who in reality can't afford it but will make themselves that little bit more skint just to play a game...

There are costs to running servers and support for FML. SI isn't a charity. Why would they give away a product for free? Is charging to buy the latest version of Football manager "bleeding money out of people"?

...a game which in reality will be the same as FM09 online but making up your own club?

Haven't played the Beta, have you? It's a different game, different appraoch, and different experience than solo play.

If you want it so desperately how about you advertise it and then people can say what clubs they want with whichever players!?

Again, this comment doesn't make a lot of sense to those who are familiar with FML. In FML, you create a team, and bid for real players in an open market with other managers as your competition. There's a transfer market, contracts, leagues, games/competitions. No Man-Utd, no PSG, no Inter, no FC Bayer Munich. No EPL, no Ligue 1, no MLS.

This is funny. I posted a question about whether or not it would be in SIs best interests to release two football management games (although different concepts) at the same time. And it appears that the thread has just turned into a big mix up of every possible topic you can think of. (I've never started a thread that has had over 1000 hits before, I'm happy :))

People keep thinking that match engine is the display. It isn't. The engine is what simulates the match (ie the number crunching) under the cover, the display is merely a representation of what the engine produces, in the same way that the game can display the game either as 2-D or text at present. The same match engine could in theory be represented as 3-D.

Yea, you are right in that respect, though you would imagine that a 3D match engine would require far more 'events' to be described to attribute to the 3-dimensional game world

Yea, you are right in that respect, though you would imagine that a 3D match engine would require far more 'events' to be described to attribute to the 3-dimensional game world

Possibly. Not being a programmer or an SI bod, I have no idea how many events are generated with the existing match engine or whether it would be sufficient to run even a basic 3-D grahpic display.

Having said that, you would think that any extra events would be for the display only, and not affect whether the simulation engine itself is any good or not, or improves it.

Archived