FM14: Glasgow Rangers - The teddy bears are on the march!

@Ryknow - Thanks and yeah, we definitely need reinforcements for next season. I've requested a parent club to secure some loans. I wanted to get by without one but I thought what the heck, why not. Another crappy intake, 1 decent guy I think. But the good news is...

Incredibly we've won the league with 6 games to spare! P32 W24 D7 L1 +51 to Celtics miserable P31 W17 D5 L9 +25

1 in a row! :D

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice work on securing the title, one step closer to 10 in a row ;)

I requested numerous times for a parent club but the board always came back with nothing. In 2024 Celtic still have Chelsea and continue to get free players on loan. In fact they seem to make 4-6 loan signings every season. I hope Lennon gets sacked so maybe someone with sense comes in and make them stronger, but even finishing 3rd didn't cause any upset. Ah well, looks like another title is going my wage. This new patch is rather enjoyable. I've only conceded a few goals in the league since my game updated. So tight at the back and generally control games. Hopefully it's not too easy though.

No joy once more with my feeder club request or the parent club either.

We'll be losing McCulloch, Mattock and Crouch at the end of the season to retirement and loans coming to an end. Got Schmeichel coming in to add a little more quality at GK, though to be fair Bell and Blackman did better than expected. Walsh hit a fine vein of form towards the end of the season and is now running away with the top scorer title. I changed him to CF (a) from TM (a) and it seems to have done the trick.

1 league game to go and the cup final against Killie so the double is on the cards too. Celtic lost the League Cup final to Partick I think and to Killie in the semis of the Scottish Cup.

A sterile but comfortable 1-0 win over Killie won us the cup and secured the double in our first season back in the big time to give us 3 titles, 2 scottish cups, 1 league cup and 1 challenge cup in my 3 seasons in charge.

The real work starts in earnest now to build a squad capable of challenging in the league once more and to hopefully secure a foothold in Europe too. I have secured some signings, including a marque coup signing that will hopefully give us the quality to compete in Europe and who should be head and shoulders above anything in the SPL.

Here's the moves we've made so far:

GK - Kasper Schmeichel - Free - Gives us 3 keepers good enough for the SPL but also a slight upgrade too.

DL - Young lad about 22 from Dundee Utd. Can't remember his name. Robertson? - £1m - Should not only provide cover for Wallace at LB without much drop off in talent but should challenge for the position in the next couple of years too.

DR - John Flanagan - £775k - Former Liverpool man should come in and challenge Hateley at right back immediately, if not make the position his own from day one. Cheap deal, young player, quality and great resale value.

MC - Rueben Pardo - Free - WOW! Pardo had agreed a Bosman move from Sociedad to Mallorca in the winter window but for some reason it was canclled and we were able to snap him up on a free for just £24k a week wages. We have tremendous depth in midfield but I couldn't pass up the chance to sign a player of this quality.

SC - Yaya Sanogo - Loan - Listed by Arsenal but wanted £50k a week to make the move permanent so we ended up taking him on loan as cover for Walsh. had a successful loan spell at Inverness last season so will hopefully do well.

I probably need to add another forward, a centre half as Pascazio is unhappy and wants a move after spending last year on loan at Blackpool and perhaps a little more cover for the wings. Wage bill has taken a bashing, so have had to reduce the funds available but still have £10m to spend.

Squad currently looks like this.

GK - Schmeichel, Bell, Blackman

DR - Hateley, Flanagan, O'Hara, Hegarty

DL - Wallace, Robertson?, Flanagan

DC - Souttar, O'Hara, Hegarty

DC - Gasparotto, O'Hara, Hegarty

DMC - MacLeod, Fletcher, Black

MC - Pardo, Allan, Fletcher, Black

MC - McCabe, Allan, Fletcher, Black

AML - Gauld, Templeton, Aird

AMR - McKay, Templeton, Aird

ST - Wlash, Sanogo

Congrats. Isn't Bell and Temps contracts too high for their quality? I got rid of them asap as they were getting paid too much and had yearly increase clauses. Your team is shaping up well, but I'd definitely grab some more players on loan to cover for UCL. Having a few games in a week is a lot harder on this version, maybe not now with 14.3, but was on the previous patches.

They probably are and the yearly increases don't help as you say but Temps especially has done well when called upon and Bell performed better than I though he would in the SPL but we'll wee how Schmeichel does because with Blackman doing okay when called upon, Bell could be moved on. Black is another one in this boat. He was an assist machine from set pieces in the lower leagues.

A good youth intake this season would really help too in terms of moving one or two of these guys on. Need to find a new HoYD as Hart retired though.

I went through a few but I've settled on Kristjaan Speakman (33)starts at Birmingham. Being so young, having high JPA/JPP and a professional personality makes him a keeper, imo. He also has a solid preferred formation (matching mine) which apparently has an influence on the positions he brings through. Not sure how much of his attributes are random though, but I'd definitely recommend him.

Can't remember my previous HoYD but he brought through some amazing players of which I'm benefiting from now. I'll post when I find who he was next time I'm on. Just try and upgrade everything to do with youth if possible. But mind you my first upgrades of the facilities cost around €5m each iirc, so could work out to wait a bit and use that money to invest in 'saleable assests" until a season in the UCL.

Yeah it's been tough finding someone who was interested in joining, who had a professional type personality and high JPP. Given we can't improve our youth recruitment, junior coaching or youth facilities any further our youth intakes for the first 3 years have been crap.

On the plus side we beat Libertas of San Marino in the first leg of UCL qualifiers 6-0 away... As we probably should have done. Can rest everyone for the home leg now.

Well we finished the job against Libertas with a thumping 12-0 win in the home leg to give us an 18-0 aggregate score. Next up were ties against Legia with a 5-1 home win against Ross County sandwiched inbetween. We struggled to a 2-1 home win over Legia in the home leg and played poorly. We werent much better in the away leg but held on to a 0-0 draw to progress and face BATE in the next round.

We also Juan Antonio Reyes on loan, still only 32 I think, to give us cover on the wings and up front. Happy-ish with the squad now, so unless someone remarkable becomes available we'll probably stick with what we have.

Good work, but it all comes down to getting to that group stage as it's an instant €8m. If you struggle too much you could get some loan signings in to progress through the playoffs then cancel them before the window closes.

I only had to do the play offs one or twice before Scotland suddenly got awarded automatic qualification. I enjoyed it because they are fairly easy, unless you get seeded with a big team near the end, but that's mainly if you come second. That's the reason Celtic have never made the group stage since I've been in the UCL. Always get a tough run. If only they knew how to build a proper squad. Inverness, who finished second last season, got spanked in the play offs. So yet again, this season it all came down to me to keep the coefficient up.

Yeah, I'm hopeful we can sneak past BATE and into the group stages. It's vital to up the coefficients and fill the coffers like you said. I'm hoping the want away Pascazio won't force through a move before the end of the window. If he stays that pretty much gives me 2 full teams to rotate. We have 5 3.5 star U19s. However two are left backs and two are centre forwards.

Need to upgrade some coaches, sign a DoF and HoYD and we're all set moving forward I think.

Oh dear... We despatched BATE 5-0 on aggregate to qualify for the UCL groups stages. That's the good news, along with the £7m for qualifying.

The bad news is the other teams in the group... PSG, AC Milan and Sporting Lisbon. Ouch.

Nice, but now is the time you're thankful that you've made a solid counter attacking tactic...right?...right? ;)

My 4-3-3 works wonders in the UCL, but I'm still yet to make a semi final. I've never got an easy path in all my seasons. Just think of the money for those home games though.

I play a 4-1-2-2-1 rigid-counter style. ;)

Having said that, just lost 2-1 at home to a stacked PSG at home in the first round of fixtures. I'd like to think we were good enough to get a point but they did edge it.

It certainly is more of a grind season two, trying to rotate the team, keep pace in the league and compete in the UCL, especially as we're still in the league cup too.

We're 3 points off the pace in the league but have lost only once so far. Celtic are much stronger this time around. In the UCL we followed up the home loss to PSG with a very creditable 1-1 draw away to AC Milan before the doubl header against Sporting. We struggled to a 2-1 win at home and unbelievably cruised to a 3-1 away win putting us into second place in the group, 3 points ahead of AC Milan who lost twice to PSG.

We have PSG up next and then the decider at home against Milan. We're pretty much a cert for 3rd spot at least but it would be huge if we can hang on and make it to the knockout stages.

I've also upgraded my scouting network and brought Damien Commoli as DoF and an Italian, Argento as HoYD. The board have also just pumped another £5m into the transfer kitty. I'm looking to make one or two first team signings in January and to bolster our U19s too with guys who will become homegrown in the future.

Just coming up to christmas in season 4 now.

We lost to PSG in the UCL but AC Milan also lost to Sporting so that meant if we got a draw at home to them on the final match day, we'd finish second in the group! We beat them comfortably 2-0 to qualify for the knockout stages at the first attempt!!! And have just drawn Man Utd...

In the league we're 2pts clear but Celtic have a game in hand. Next up, Celtic at home in the second Old Firm Clash of the season. The first one ended 0-0. I've signed a couple of Danish youngsters for the U19s and also a 21 year old Russian regen who can play AMR/L/ST who looks like he'll be a beast. I want another decent signing in January for the first team. Hopefully with us being in the knockout stages of the UCL a few more better players might be interested in a move.

Goodluck v Man Utd and congrats on getting out of the group. I made the quarter finals my first time and I was shocked at that, as we really weren't very good. However, now I just can't get to the quarters or semis. Always get horrible draws v big clubs. Had Barca this season in the knockout stage, played well the second leg then their star striker decided to turn it on and destroy us.

Another title win and the Scottish cup, the problem now is contracts. Last time I counted I had 87 players in my first team, with around 60 out on loan. Mind you I don't have anyone in reserves, just players marked to play the reserve games. And the better youth (2.5/3+ star PA) get promoted to the first team asap. So this season I had around 60 players out on loan (majority average youth) now I have the big decisions of who's contracts to extend.

My 20yr old HG poached French CB returns from UCL finalist Benfica, currently on €3k pw and wants €28k pw. Fair enough, but I already have enough CBs. Then I have a bunch of academy lads that I need to extend. Really hope I get some big bids in as I want to bring some money in. Don't need to buy anyone for a while.

End of season I got a message saying that the council blocked our ground expansion. First I'd ever heard of it, and I'm pretty sure Ibrox can't be extended beyond 64k. Yet another season of 99% attendance so I might make an alternative save and see if the board would build a new stadium. Not sure I want one or not, as it'll cost a heap and we still are hovering around the €70m bal mark. Can't make much money due to player wages and the huge dividend pay outs at the end of the season. This will be my first preseason on the new patch so I'm hoping more random bids come in. If it was easier to sell players and if I wasn't so loyal to them I wouldn't have these problems.

Went a little crazy and cut throat. The summer window hasn't even closed yet and I've amassed €80m from player sales with only €8m being spend, €6m of that on a talented young LB. It could have been €100m but my player turned down a €20m move to Wolfsburg. I'll fill in more with my season summary but I used it as a sign and tied him down to an 8 year deal. Still only 20 years old and last season scored 20 goals and assisted in another 20 from the RW spot.

So it's easy to say my concerns about selling players has been greatly reduced with the 14.3 patch.

On another note I asked about a new stadium and the board want to do it but say they simply don't have the money yet. So my transfer dealings this season should rectify that issue.

The marquee signing I wanted to make in January arrived in the form of Adam Maher from PSV for £8m. I'm switching from my 4-1-2-2-1 to a 4-2-3-1 and he's going to be my AMC advanced playmaker. So far 9 games 8 goals 6 assists and 4 PoMs. Only downside is he's cup tied for the UCL.

I also added Oliver from At. Madrid for just £825k. He'll work as Maher's understudy and add more depth to the advanced three midfield rotation. I managed to offload Templeton to Forest for £1m which was a great fee and got his £16k a week wages off the balance sheet and also Ian Black to Bradford for just £10k as we aren't using a DMC any longer and needed to make some room for the midfielders coming in. It also got his £14k a week wages out the door two.

So far only 2 clean sheets in the 10 games since we switched to our 4-2-3-1 but we've scored 3, 3, 3, 5, 5, 3, 3, 2, 3 & 3. That last 3 coming in our 3-2 home win over Man Utd in the 1st leg of our UCL knockout tie. If we hadn't have conceded a stoppage time second goal I'd feel more confident about the second leg but maybe we can sneak it.

Nice goal scoring record but I wouldn't be ditching the 4-1-2-2-1 so fast. You'll need a defensive formation for those big games in the UCL, unless you go go all attacking. I'm too cautious so I rarely go all attacking, but when I have it's worked more than I thought it would. I'd recommend finding players who can play either DC/DM, DM/MC or MC/AMC then your covering all bases.

After my player sales I have over €120m transfer budget, yet I can't bring anyone in as I don't want to break my wage cap. Players like Draxler and Bernard are interested, plus all of Man Utds side as they missed out on a UCL spot.

I just fancied a change.

I played 4-1-2-2-1 almost exclusively through FM13 and I wanted to see if I could get a 4-2-3-1 to work and not be too bad defensively. I know what you're saying about those big UCL games and I still have that 4-1-2-2-1 in reserve and a few players like MacLeod, Fletcher and O'Hara who can slot comfortably into the DM spot. I've only kept 2 clean sheets in 12 games since making the switch but I've won every game, averaging 3+ goals per game too.

We've blown the league open now after a tight start. We're 13 points ahead of Celtic as we get to the business end of the season. We play them in the league cup final and scottish cup semi final too.

Transfers In: €61m, went on a spending spree bring in numerous English talent capable of starting spots.

Transfers Out: €69m, balanced the books with €20m coming from one player and breaking our record on a player sale. Was the Brazilian AMC that I was going to transform into my DLF. He was great but complained and shipped out on loan for the season. Have a bad record of keeping Brazilian's happy. No real problem as I have a Northern Irish DLF.

SPL

Another comfortable season in the league. However, no striker performed all that well mainly due to injuries hitting my key striker. Other players picked up the slack though without too many problems.

Rangers 99

Celtic 80

Patrick Thistle 75

Inverness 58

Scored 112, few off our record but I want to beat Hearts 1957/58 SPL record of 132. The plus was we only conceded 14 goals, with a tonne of rotation with youngsters getting a high amount of games.

--------------------------------

Scottish Cup

Rangers 4-0 St Mirren. Bottom placed St Mirren made the final, no real challenge.

Scottish League Cup

Rangers 0-1 Celtic

Yet again clashed with a UCL tie. Gotta let Celtic win something ;)

UCL

Rangers 14pts

Inter 14pts

Shakhtar 3pts

Steaua 3pts

UCL winners Inter didn't trouble us all that much. Knockout stage saw us draw Barca...yay. For some reason I know I'd beat them in the Group Stages but we went out 5-3agg. So another disappointing UCL run. Only made the Quarters twice, but every year the minimum has been the knockout stage. As a result we are ranked 15th in all of Europe.

This season's standout performer by quite some margin, and to be honest he doesn't look anything special. Just works in our team and always has since he arrived as a kid. HG now and accepted a €20m bid from Wolfsburg for him, but he didn't agree terms. I saw that as fate as it rarely occurs and he was only on €3.5k pw at the time. I gave him a new 8 year deal on €18k pw as a reward.

MatejHolub_OverviewAttributes-2_zps836331d3.png

Academy Players - Update

First Team

No.1 keeper since he was 17/18. Vice Captain.

GarryWilliamson_OverviewAttributes-21_zps444620d3.png

Originally an AMC when we played 4-2-3-1, but he was also accomplished at CM so now is natural and plays alongside Bahnsen (Aussie DLP).

RobertRussell_OverviewAttributes-15_zpsed9c1519.png

Always liked this guy but his mental attributes were dreadful, still aren't flash, but boy does this guy play well. He's first choice rotation for Bahnsen or Russell in the two CM roles. Always plays well, never had a bad game from him and scores important goals.

ChicBurley_OverviewAttributes-4_zps34b26364.png

Rotation

Will be his first full season with us as rotation. He doesn't look anything special but in the games he played over the past few season he seems to have a knack at playing the perfect key pass. Hopefully he does well with us.

HughMillar_OverviewAttributes_zps0425ca43.png

This is his year. Been out on loan past few seasons, now it's his shot to get more game time. Will be part of rotation with Sutherland (captain, Scottish, HG) and Galbraith (Northern Irish). Sutherland had two bad injuries last season so he might take his spot as the captain can now play LW.

LeeODonnell_OverviewAttributes-5_zpsa505602a.png

Future

Future is set with these two guys. Both came through during the same intake, so I had two promising keepers one year, but nothing else. Doesn't bother me as they are developing well. Quinn was our 2nd choice last season and got around 12 starts. He's just off to Swansea as first choice on a full season loan.

GordonQuinn_OverviewAttributes-3_zpsa67eb925.png

JordanMcLachlan_OverviewAttributes-2_zpsaf20c89a.png

McLachlan will probably be our 2nd choice for this season as I need to develop him myself now.

Best of last seasons intake. Finally a CB! He'll be given as much time as possible this season.

GrahamWright_OverviewAttributes_zpsfda199de.png

Had big plans for this guy, but due to other players at LB he's had to be shipped out a few times. Injuries haven't helped him either. Still very young. I had RB similar to him, but only 3.5 star who had to be sold due to injury proneness. Got €6m for him though so wasn't all bad. Hopefully Donald can improve considerably.

CallumDonald_OverviewAttributes-2_zps83fc7923.png

The most common position to come through the system has been AMC. Many have been sold, many have been quality but I simply don't use AMC very often, if at all. Therefore they need to learn another position or it's goodbye.

MartinMcStay_OverviewAttributes-2_zps39b2141e.png

Learning LW. Constantly get bids of €6.5m from Man City and Chelsea, but they won't negotiate to €8m. So I guess I'm stuck trying to turn him into a dangerous inside forward.

SimonGraham_OverviewAttributes_zps3580c96d.png

Probably end up rotation in the more attack minded CM spot when he hits 21/22.

GaryCross_OverviewAttributes_zps2cdbc785.png

On a side note, here's David Galbraith. I decided to search my last name and this guy popped up, at Linfield of all places. I signed him without scouting him and he's turned out so well. Adopted son maybe?

DavidGalbraith_OverviewAttributes-3_zps50f6b945.png

I got the SPL to 9th in the rankings, but we've since been overtaken and have been 10th for the past season and the current one.

Winning the league results in around €4.4m now, iirc. Basically when I got to the SPL there were two spots, not sure why as Celtic were poor. If the national teams success has any bearing then that would make sense. Anyways, after I first appeared in the UCL and made the quarters we got a automatic group spot for the winner, plus a qualifying spot for 2nd place. Haven't checked how far we are off three spots but I'm sure it'll be difficult as Celtic never make the groups.

Don't pay attention to Europa league spots but I think it's just two, maybe three. Not sure. Will have a look next time I'm on.

Great updates, I have been put off sending my youngsters out on load after reading a few of the guides on here but they seem to be developing well. Lots of Scottish talent, will you be looking to take the Scotland job when it becomes available?

Managed to play a couple of games post patch and the change is unbelievable. Not a lot has changed in how the team plays but I think all the rediculous errors have gone! I conceded two goals to Hearts which were bad but not glitchy. Played Celtic off the park but lost 1 - 0 which was fine too. These things happen. Now playing catchup in the league but climbing the table with results I always felt we should be getting against teams. Hopefully this means I'll get the bug and play it a bit more now.

Re the Scotland job: ha! I would if I could. They got Mel (current West Brom manager) in and overlooked me. So devastated. I simply have to get it when he leaves. Due to all my trophies and World Class rep.

I've only managed Cameroon and got bored with them and left after getting them into the World Cup. Applied for the Italy, Russia and Belgium jobs recently. I got laughed at by Russia but Italy and Belgium 'considered' me but I never got approached. International management has always been rigged in this game so I hope I can get the Scotland job when it comes around.

I'm really enjoying the ME on this update. Far more variation in goals and attacking play. Steam rolled by first two fixtures of the season, unfortunately I've been really busy so can't get much FM time in though.

Re. Loaning out youth - I tend to favour loaning to SPL clubs and only ones who will use the players constantly. For important players I always check the clubs in question and what players they have in the selected role. Then make a judgement whether he'd get ahead of the players currently at the club.

Yeah that's a sensible way of doing it and I've done that previously. Also made a fair amount of cash from the monthly fee's they bring in. I read Cleon's thread about development and have been trying to implement bits of that this time round and seems to be doing ok. I scheduled under 19's fixtures for the first few years to give them game time and that actually helped quite a bit I think (though it was hardly scientific).

I'm developing countless Scottish talent and others who are eligable for Scotland with one eye on the Scotland job. Always get the job eventually but I get a bit jaded with the lack of talent. Moved up to 2nd in the league behind Celtic after the patch, going very well now so much happier. A consortium is eyeing up a takeover and I've just entered January 2017 and a transfer embargo is in place. Hopefully get sorted soon and I can start wheeling and dealing.

Nice work and I agree with the Scotland job. I always try and get it in my long term saves as Rangers, and as Dortmund I always tried to get the Germany job. I hope I get it as they are pretty much set goalkeeper wise thanks to my system. That's usually my prerequisite for national management. If they have 2-3 top keepers and youth, then I'm keen. Not many wide men though, and I prefer not deviating away from my preferred tactics. The current boss has switch to a 4-3-1-2 to fit the best players in, but I feel you need top fullbacks for that, something Scotland lacks. However, who am I to judge as Scotland qualify for every tournament now and usually get to the knockout rounds with ease.

I have to say I have an eye on the Scotland job too and that's part of the reason that I'm wanting to bring Scottish youth through and have a solid core of Scotsmen in my Rangers team.

I read and followed Cleon's advice in FM13 for my Ajax team and it turned out to be my only long term save last year. I managed 11 seasons before finally converting to FM14 and I brought countless guys through the youth system and as much as it pained me at times I'd sell them on just as they peaked at 27 or 28 for big money. I also never went over £50k a week wages and that's the model I want to follow in my Rangers save this time around.

Now for a quick update: The second leg against Man U didn't go as well as the first. Heh. They battered us but we were still in the tie at 3-1 down with 5 minutes left. Another goal would have seen us level the score on aggregate but they hit us on the break to make it 4-1. Still knock out stages at the first attempt was pretty good I guess.

One bright spot was our first decent newgen appeared right after the Utd game. A 4.5* central midfielder. A position we're stacked at but he looks like he could be the next Rhys McCabe. :D

As for the rest of season 4, we beat Celtic 1-0 in the League Cup Final and 4-2 in the Scottish Cup semi final after being 2-0 down at half time. :) A bit of hairdryer treatment seemed to do the trick. Plus a weird goal by Walsh to clinch it as he block tackled Fraser Forster as he drop kicked the ball and then tucked away the loose ball. We won the league with 3 games to spare and completed our first treble by beating Dundee Utd 1-0 in a dour cup final. Scott Soutar getting a late winner against his former team.

So, 4 seasons, 4 titles, 3 cups, 2 league cups and 1 challenge cup... And legendary status and a place in the Scottish hall of fame too. :)

As we head into season 5 we have £10m and £525k p/w to spend. Looking to bring in Bakkali from PSV on loan. I was hoping he wouldn't re-sign so we could have a chance at getting him for free but it wasn't to be. Destro's contract is up but he's looking for £70k a week at the moment.

Just waiting for the 1st July to see who gets released by the big guns and I'll try and add some good newgens too. I'm looking to move on Cammy Bell (£16k) and maybe Scott Alan, who is struggling to force his way into the team and is worth £3m and on about £16k a week.

I have to say I have an eye on the Scotland job too and that's part of the reason that I'm wanting to bring Scottish youth through and have a solid core of Scotsmen in my Rangers team.

I read and followed Cleon's advice in FM13 for my Ajax team and it turned out to be my only long term save last year. I managed 11 seasons before finally converting to FM14 and I brought countless guys through the youth system and as much as it pained me at times I'd sell them on just as they peaked at 27 or 28 for big money. I also never went over £50k a week wages and that's the model I want to follow in my Rangers save this time around.

Nice update, but regarding your previous save on FM13 and your current Rangers save, what will be your ideal wage bill?

£50k pw is €60k pw, so a fair more than my €40k limit, but I'm noticing on this patch players are asking for more. In addition it's really hard to sign players with that wage cap, especially when I try and sign British over any other type. English guys from a PL club will ask for huge wages.

At the moment I'm hovering around €750-830k pw, bit over €40m a year (So £626k-693k, £34mil).

Just don't want to overspend and interested to see what others average. Finances should be set now due to all sales being over 24 months, plus loan fee deals. Think I'm getting around €5m a month from transfers.

I'd like to try and stick to that £50k a week max... But who says we can't bump up the appearance fee a little, as long as it's nothing crazy. :p

I figure that if I can stick to £50k a week with Ajax in FM13 then hopefully I can do the same with Rangers. I managed to keep the likes of Eriksen and Fischer happy for 11 seasons, so hopefully that'll be the case here too. Winning the UCL 5 or 6 times probably helped too but again, that would be the aim with the Gers.

It means I might miss out on the very top tier talent but then again, I'm hoping to bring the youngsters through too. :)

At the minute my premier players (Maher, Gauld, Pardo, McCabe, Soutar etc.) are all on mid £20k's a week at the moment going into season 5.

I've just started to build my squad now and I'm finding the sell on % is a great tool for negotiating contacts. You lose the money in the sale but can get a great player on a very small wage. I seen that you guys have used this too which is where I got the idea

I use it on old guys all the time because I don't care about making money off them. I just brought in some of the older Scotland internationals as backup/rotation and included 50% of next sale. Basically hallfed their wages.

And just when I was bragging about our wage structure I smash it (still staying under £50k p/w) to sign Deulofeu on a free from Barca. £39k per week. I also had a similar offer on the table for Balanta who was still at River but he chose a £4.5m move to Gladbach instead. :(

Also coming in on a free is Portuguese goalkeeper Kardu (?). Looks good enough to challenge Schmeichel for the number 1 spot and is only 23.

Going out the door so far are Scott Allan £3m, Gasparotto £3m + 15% sell on, Bell (termination) and Hammill £250k + 20% sell on.

Looking to bring in a quality DC. I offered Polenta a trial as he's unattached but he declined so hopefully he'll be happy to talk to us again soon before someone else snaps him up.

Deulofeu is a pretty big signing. He went to Dortmund in my save, so good luck with him. How's Ocampos on your save? Sitting in reserves at AS Monaco?

So your wage per player is £50k pw, but what is your overall wage bill atm? Do you have a cap for that in the future?

Mine just blew out to nearly €1m pw, got carried away. Need to ship people off in the winter window.

I havent set a total wage cap as such but I'm not one for hoarding players or having stiffs in the reserves.

My first team squad is usually 22-25 players, with only guys who are unwanted or away on loan in the reserves and I usually don't keep any U19 players who are 2* or less and if I have multiple youngsters for any one position, I'll move one or two of them on, so my U19 team only usually has about 15 guys too.

My current budget for wages is £575k per week and I think I'm operating at about £500k per week at the minute.

I tried signing Ocampos last season but he favoured a move to Santos instead :( he's doing okay and I'm still keeping tabs on him, though he's less of a priority now.

EDIT: I was really hoping to get Balanta. With him and Deulofeu, I thought it would really make us a tough proposition in Europe and help us build on last year's showing. Hopefully I can still do a deal with Polenta before he gets snapped up of bring in a quality DC from elsewhere too. Lisandro Ezequiel Lopez is listed so I'm watching his situation closely too.

You're totally opposite to me then. I just checked and I have 120 players registered at the club. 50 are out on loan. I never release youth players, even 1 star PA, because I'd rather develop them a bit for the good of the Scottish national team or SPL clubs.

I should probably release heaps tbh, but I normally just ignore the U19s when I'm Rangers as there is no U19 league. The best ones get promoted straight away.

I don't have any reserves as I see no point leaving people there. They just stay in the first team and marked to play reserve matches. Currently have an average age of 21 at the club. I have tonnes of youth just waiting to get HG status. I'm a bit of a hoarder, I should really reduce the size of the squad, but I see money in the bank as dead money. It just sits there, so better invest it in players to then sell for profit.

This philosophy works so much better at Dortmund (normally have a save as them) as their second team plays in the third tier. Don't need to loan players out.

Yeah, it's something I've done to a greater extent in previous Dortmund and PSG saves where the reserves actually play league football.

With me not having many/any players in the reserves, the U19s get picked to play for them and I do mark the odd first team fringe player as being available to them too but with me keeping a trimmed 1st team squad, there's not that many so the U19s get the most of the reserve league playing time.

I have that 4.5* MC who'll get a few games in domestic cups this year to aid his development, even though he's still only 15. That was another reason why I sold Allan, though in an ideal world I'd have liked to keep him. I have a 4* keeper too who I'm thinking of promoting to number 3 keeper and selling Blackman

Luckily with a Rangers save you have the chance to really blood in youngsters in the SPL once your team is settled. I rotate quite a lot making sure 16/17 yr olds get game time. I have games where the opposition can only have one shot on target so playing young high potential keepers is fairly easy.

Actually making a bit of a profit each month now. It could be much much higher if I sort out the wages, which I'm looking to do. Hopefully I get some random bids in the winter window so I can trim the big earners and just promoted academy players. Around 75-80% of my squad is from UK+Ireland now.

My squad is going the other way. It was an all UK team when I got promoted to the prem but now I have a Dane, Portuguese, Dutchman, Russian and 3 Spaniards... And hopefully a Uruguayan too as we've just offered Polenta a £39k p/w deal to join us on a free.

Hopefully we'll sign him before anyone notices. My scouts have him rated better than Souttar and he's only 25 so some resale value too. Haven't spent a bean of our transfer kitty that stands at £16m but our wgae budget is taking a battering. :p

Just beaten Shamrock Rovers 3-0 away in the UCL qualifying round, so second leg should be a formality and Levski Sofia will probably await us in the 3rd round as I've never heard of the team they are playing...

My chase of Celtic is pretty much over. 16 games since the patch I had lost 2 and drawn 1. Closed the gap by a huge margin and beat Celtic too in a 6 pointer. Got beat at ICT away 2-1 and there are only 6 games remaining. Celtic are now 8 points ahead with one OFG left to play. The loss to Celtic after the patch where even Lennon said afterwards that I should feel sick to have lost it looks even more vital now! There's always next season, and with my young squad now playing we've got a great chance. Might still catch them though...

@BurghBear - Keep going mate. You might still catch them! ;)

Season 5 update so far:

Major signings - Deulofeu, Polenta & Kardu (All free).

Major sales - Allan £3m, Gasparotto £3m, Hammill £250k, Blackman £100k.

Sticking with our more attacking 4-2-3-1 formation this year. And it's started off a little more solid at the back than when we switched to it last year. I guess the signing of Polenta has helped, though he's been used sparingly so far whilst he build up his fitness.

Results so far:

Shamrock Rovers 3-0 & 4-0

Levski Sofia 1-0 & 4-0

Ross County 4-0

Hamilton 6-0

Hearts 5-0

St. Mirren 1-0 (weakened side due to upcoming UCL qualifier)

So 7 games without conceding and averaging 4 goals per game so far. A decent start to the season, though we haven't played any 'big' teams yet.

Squad is looking like this:

GK - Schmeichel, Kardu, MacDonald (newgen)

DR - Flanagan, Hateley, O'Hara, Hegarty

DL - Roberston, Wallace, Flanagan

DC - Souttar, O'Hara, Pascazio, Hegarty

DC - Polenta, O'Hara, Pascazio, Hegarty

MC - Pardo, MacLeod, Oliver, Fletcher, Aird (long term inj)

MC - McCabe, MacLeod, Oliver, Fletcher, Aird (long term inj)

AMC - Maher, Oliver, Aird (long term inj)

AMR - Deulofeu, Mamaev (newgen), MacKay, Aird (long term inj)

AML - Gauld, Mackay, Mamaev (newgen), Aird (long term inj)

ST - Walsh, Mamaev (newgen)

I could perhaps do with bringing in an experienced striker as cover and to possibly mentor too before the window closes. AMC looks a little light too but we have guys that could fill in at a push. In the U19s we've got a wonderkid MC a couple of decent keepers and fullbacks who might get a little game time as the season progresses.

The money we made from player sales I have put into the wage budget to account for the big money that Deulofeu & Polenta are on but still £10m to spend and about £60k a week under the wage ceiling.

Tricky tie against Partizan Belgrade coming up for a place in the UCL groups.

@Burghbear: As davehibb said, all the best. You can catch them!

@davehibb: That's a really good first team for season 5! I'd definitely look at a striker, maybe just on loan.

What's your bank balance sitting at?

Has Ibrox been expanded much?

All the best for the Partizan game

@Burghbear: As davehibb said, all the best. You can catch them!

@davehibb: That's a really good first team for season 5! I'd definitely look at a striker, maybe just on loan.

What's your bank balance sitting at?

Has Ibrox been expanded much?

All the best for the Partizan game

Thanks mate.

I have high hopes for Europe this year. Certainly want to make it through the groups and possibly get to the quarters if everyone stays fit.

Ibrox has been expanded to 64000. There's no option to expand it further I don't think last time I checked, only to build a new one.

I'll post up my bank balance later as I don't have game access at the moment.

I've just been looking through the youth players you posted earlier and I am envious considering I only have a handful of guys that look like they'll get anywhere near our first team any time soon. I think I definitely do need to make more of an effort to give my youngsters more game time this year to bring them on a little quicker.

What kind of formation do you use mate? Been thinking of starting up a save with the gers lately.

I started off using a 4-1-2-2-1 for the first 3 .5 seasons and switched to a 4-2-3-1 half way through season 4. First couple fo seasons you should probably get promoted whatever formation you play and then it's about building the system you want to play once you're back in the big time. :)

Same formation i was thinking of starting off with too funnily enough.

I started off using a 4-1-2-2-1 for the first 3 .5 seasons and switched to a 4-2-3-1 half way through season 4. First couple fo seasons you should probably get promoted whatever formation you play and then it's about building the system you want to play once you're back in the big time. :)

@davehibb Yeah, 64k seems the max. Great amount of money with season tickets and gate receipts. Plus that €3.5m from a UCL home match. Really adds up, but shows you how important the UCL group stage is.

@steff91 I was the opposite to davehibb. Started a 4-2-3-1 now mainly use 4-1-2-2-1, but as he said you could use anything in the first few seasons. The real test comes in the UCL and games v Celtic.

@Ryknow - Bank balance currently stands at £43m going into the last week of the summer window at the start of season 5.

Secured an impressive 2-0 away win of Partizan, so barring an absolute disaster we will be in the group stages 2 years out of 2. :)