Sports Interactive Community
eastley

Picking a Good Player - How I do it.

Many of us, play the game differently, sometimes there is no right or wrong.

But I have found over the years, CA/PA, can sometimes, not mean as much as you think.

Many people here, have had success with players who's PA is only 160 or there about's, these players have dominated leagues where there are higher rated stars, ever wondered how?

A part of it comes down to tactics, position and there roles, if you can play a player in a certain position, the correct to maximize his attributes, he can be a world beater, anyone 150 PA or above can be.

Let me explain.

Let's look at 2 players, one from my Liverpool side, Sturridge, and Benzia, I will scout him to find his stats.

zo4y.JPG

Sturridge's best position at the moment is Advanced Forward - Attack. That position has 10 attributes that are most important, you can see them high lighted in the picture above. What I do is add those 10 attributes together:

10+15+14+9+11+12+14+15+11+16= 127 Out of possible 200. Or 63.5% Effective Rate in that position, this to me is the best way to judge a player, I call it "Effective Rate"..

Let's look at Sturridge again, but as a Poacher Attack.

yawi.jpg

15+14+15+11+12+15+17+17+16+16= 148 Out of Possible 200. Or 74% Effective Rate in that position or Poacher.

Now one more time, his next best Role as a striker is Complete forward, as attack.

kska.jpg

Way more attributes needed here.

15+14+15+9+13+11+14+11+12+12+12+14+15+7+17+17+8+16+16+11= 259 / 400 x 100 = 64.75%

(20 attributes, max of 20 per attribute = 400 possible)

I would never play him as a complete forward, his team work is to low for that, with him near his PA already, there is no improvement in that area to be had really.

Now let's look at Benzia, aged 18 and highly regarded. Let's compare his role as a poacher compared to Sturridge.

3zgl.jpg

15+13+15+12+12+13+13+14+13+12= 132 / 200 x 100 = 66% Effective rate.

Benzia, is already, only 2 months in my save at Liverpool, developing better stats.

Benzia also, has a lot bigger gap between Current Ability and Potential Ability, I would sign him in a heart beat, focus his training on Poacher, and Tutor him. Mental stats improve with age as well.

Benzia, with the larger gap in CA/PA, could hit 75% Effective rate as poacher (Hit 75.5% in FM13). So Besides Sturridge's mental stats slight advantage, Benzia will probably be a better Poacher in the future.

But all of this is useless, if you do not play the player in his most effective position.

I have gone through all roles for Sturridge, his team work let's him down most of the times, His best position is Poacher, and I would never play him as any other position, I could sit here all night and go through ever player, work out which player will perform the best with my tactic and roles I want to play, it would take a long time. And for the record, Sturridge and benzia's PA are near identical, with only 4 the difference in Benzia's favor. But the point of all this is, you have the ability to influence Benzia's attributes, where as Sturridge's you don't.

Make use of training players using the "Change Focus", find what will be there best position and train them in it, Sterling for example, will play best as an inside forward as Attack, he hardly has the stats to ever do that role in support, attack only. So change his focus to inside forward, make him a beast, he has a fairly large gap between CA/PA still.

lwsi.jpg

Inside forward = YES! But only on attack. 60% Effective rate Current as inside forward on attack only, support is only 56% Effective rate.

Robert Lewandowski, played as a Trequartista is 74% Effective!

Messi is 94.5% Effective as a Trequartista (his best Position)

Aguero is 85% Effeective as a Trequartista

Suarez is Better as a complete forward but still 76.5% Effect as a Trequartista.

Falcao is better at Poacher, 77.5%. And 75% For trequartista.

I got Lewandowski for $16.5m. Falcao I could not get for less than $40m. Since I play a Trequartista, Lewandowski = MUCH BETTER BUY! I sold Suarez for $40m to get Lewandowski for $16.5m, and since Suarez get's a lot of red cards etc, that loss of 2% effective rate is not a huge concern for me. I made $23.5m profit from the deal.

Messi is just a beast. Period..

Back to original comparison, you can buy benzia for $6.5m, You can sell Sturridge for $20m. If you're only ever playing Sturridge as back up or first choice striker in his best position of Trequartista, I would sell him soon as I start the game, get Benzia and use the profits else where. Heck, you could snag Lewandowski and benzia for the price of Sturridge = WIN.

Sell Suarez for $40, Leivia for $40, get Balanta for $13m and Hughes (retrain for DM) for about $12m.

Intake = $100m

Outtake = $45m-$50m

$50m possible profit and no real loss in talent.

Even Better, Aspas as a Trequartista is 75.5% Effective! What a gun! Don't worry about Benzia or Lewandowski, Aspas is your man for a Trequartista!

This approach relies on trusting that the preset highlighted attributes are all equal in weight and that they actually mirror the player's behavior on the pitch as outlined by his instructions. Which is A) impossible to confirm with these settings now unavailable (and, which is even worse, never being fully explained in the first place) and B) subject to change by other team/individual/teammates' instructions. It is by no means useless as generally speaking the highlights do make sense but at the very least it doesn't really tell the whole story.

This approach relies on trusting that the preset highlighted attributes are all equal in weight and that they actually mirror the player's behavior on the pitch as outlined by his instructions. Which is A) impossible to confirm with these settings now unavailable (and, which is even worse, never being fully explained in the first place) and B) subject to change by other team/individual/teammates' instructions. It is by no means useless as generally speaking the highlights do make sense but at the very least it doesn't really tell the whole story.

You're completely right there. But it is a good indication on where and what roles a player should play, and how good they could actually become. Aspas for example, he has a little bit of a gap between CA/PA, and he is a better Trequartista than Sturridge, will be better than Benzia and even Lewandowski (on the 10 core attributes). But it is close, then you would have to have a look at mental attributes and physical ones, this is where Lewandowski pulls ahead, but Aspas, is probably the best back up Trequartista striker in that Liverpool side.

You aren't taking strength of the weaker foot into consideration therefore, I'm out.

You aren't taking strength of the weaker foot into consideration therefore, I'm out.

The game does not give a foot rating to see, sure you can use an editor or scout software, but most don't do that. There is no way of telling how their weaker is rated.

My 2p is that picking players more suited to certain matches is just as important as how their attributes stack up against the 'generic' role specific abilities.

Say for example I'm playing a 4-2-3-1 with a Deep-Lying Playmaker with Man Utd against Hull. In the two-man midfield I'm less likely to need the positioning and defensive abilities of Michael Carrick in the DLP role, so I go with the extra attacking threat that Ryan Giggs offers in the same role. Carrick is the better DLP on paper, but arguably Giggs will be the more effective player against an opposition that are unlikely to leave their own half.

Similarly if I want to play a DM against a team that play with a pacey AMC, then Phil Jones would probably get the nod ahead of Fellaini due to his better pace, even though on paper Fellaini is the better DM.

Two-footed/Either Footed players generally looks worse than their one-footed counterparts because it eats into their CA. Look at Pedro of Barcelona for example, he is rated quite highly by your scouts, but you look at his stats and you think "wtf, he's rubbish", the catch is Pedro is so good with both of his feet (Very Strong for both) it eats into his CA and reduces his attributes rating by some margin.

I think it comes down to your tactics again with players like pedro. I would have him swapping the other winger/inside forward or cutting in and playing crosses in. As with a player like valencia i would only have as an out and out winger whinping in crosses