Sports Interactive Community
kpw

my tactics always fail, please help me to understand how to get the team playing

I'm in desperate need for some tactical help as i am just not able to do anything right in this version of the game.

I've tried long passing, short passing, closing down, standing off, quick tempo, slow tempo, push up, drop deep and lots more but have failed every time to get any kind of consistency from a tactic. I've tried following the 12 step guide to FM in my latest save but was sacked from liverpool, sitting in 20th place in the league after 10 games after picking up just 3 points, scoring just 2 goals and conceding 18 and having lost to crawley in league cup with a full strength team.

I've just started a new save as liverpool, and having gone through the players at the club, i have the following players in my first team squad:

gk

jones, mignolet

defenders

agger, cissokho, johnson, jose enrique, kelly, sakho, skrtel, toure

midfield

allen, coutinho, gerrard, henderson, lucas leiva

strikers

aspas, sturridge, suarez

I have others in the u21s i can call on as backup, but don't see any as currently being up to standard for the first team so any additional players are likely to need to be bought in.

with these players, i have the following outfield positions available to me when deciding on a formation (based on players being available who are at least accomplished in these positions):

dr, dc, dl, dm, wbl, mr, mc, ml, amr, amc, aml, sc.

with there being no wbr, i can either buy in a right wingback, retrain johnson or go with a flat back 4 (the latter is what i'm leaning towards).

I only have lucas leiva who can play dmc, so i either need to retrain either of allen or gerrard to have cover in case of injury or buy in another dmc if i go with this in my formation. i'm thinking i need to go with a dmc given how i'm struggling with defence, but i don't want to limit attacking opportunities, so i'd appreciate some suggestions here.

mr and ml are limited to central players who can play there plus cissokho who i'll need to rotate with enrique at lb so i'm not too keen on this as an option.

amr and aml are also limited, and most likely will require me to play strikers there meaning i'll have to buy in cover for up front with extra cover needed for the wide positions. I also don't know whether to go with inside forwards, wingers or advanced playmakers here. i never seem to have success with inside forwards with players getting in each others way in the middle, and wingers don't seem to be much use as there is no real aerial threat at liverpool and drilled crosses more often than not are cleared by defenders.

It's early days yet, so i haven't committed to anything yet, but i'd appreciate some input here to help me understand what options i have and why some are better than others.

I haven't touched on team or individual instructions yet, as i don't want to over complicate things right off the bat, and will come back to those later when i've got some feedback on this post. in the meantime if anyone has any advice they want to give on instructions, feel free to advise.

if you need any more information in order to help, please let me know and i'll post it for you.

thank you

Never played as Liverpool, but based upon above I would probably try 41212 formstion. Would probably have DL and DR as wing backs to give some width. Lucas as DMC, Suarez and Sturridge front 2 with Coutinho behind them. Another option would be to go with three man midfield with a DLP, CM Defend duty and possibly BBM or BWM.

Good luck.

Liverpool are very strong centrally and weak out wide. Have a look at the Liverpool Tactical Experiment thread to see if that gives you any ideas :)

I would go 4-1-2-1-2 or 4-1-2-2-1. Your defense and midfield seem relatively straightforward (I assume you'd play Lucas at DM and Gerrard and Henderson/Allen at CM) but the question is how to play the attacking players. If you play the 4-1-2-1-2 you'll need to get some width from attacking fullbacks, but I think Enrique and Johnson are well suited for that. If you go 4-1-2-2-1 then you'll have to play Sturridge or Suarez on the wing. So without knowing what the actual in-game attributes of all these players are, I'd probably lean towards 4-1-2-1-2.

Never played as Liverpool, but based upon above I would probably try 41212 formstion. Would probably have DL and DR as wing backs to give some width. Lucas as DMC, Suarez and Sturridge front 2 with Coutinho behind them. Another option would be to go with three man midfield with a DLP, CM Defend duty and possibly BBM or BWM.

Good luck.

Will have a go with 41212 as it has been suggested a few times, got lucas in dmc with gerrard and allen ahead of him and coutinho in amc. getting width from 2 wingbacks, initially set to attack but will change to support if they are getting caught out of position too often.

Liverpool are very strong centrally and weak out wide. Have a look at the Liverpool Tactical Experiment thread to see if that gives you any ideas :)

thanks for the suggestion, will take a look at that later.

I would go 4-1-2-1-2 or 4-1-2-2-1. Your defense and midfield seem relatively straightforward (I assume you'd play Lucas at DM and Gerrard and Henderson/Allen at CM) but the question is how to play the attacking players. If you play the 4-1-2-1-2 you'll need to get some width from attacking fullbacks, but I think Enrique and Johnson are well suited for that. If you go 4-1-2-2-1 then you'll have to play Sturridge or Suarez on the wing. So without knowing what the actual in-game attributes of all these players are, I'd probably lean towards 4-1-2-1-2.

good points, am going to forgo the winger option for now as i'll lack depth there and it will also reduce my depth up front as well. I have johnson and enrique set to wingbacks to provide width, and 4 very good passers of the ball in the diamond which should hopefully give me a chance to play possession football which both i and the board want.

I suppose the next step is for me to learn how to add screenshots so i can show what i have done so far and get feedback.

thank you all for your suggestions so far.

I started Liverpool saves and got sacked in October and January, so I feel your pain!

The logical way does seem to play with attacking full-backs as Johnson, Enrique and Cissokho are all very capable of performing that role. I also tried a 4-1-2-1-2 and found that I was absolutely dominating games, but not creating enough clear cut chances.

In the Liverpool thread, it was also brought to my attention that although this formation saw Enrique (usually) and Johnson bomb forward, the narrow diamond leaves the full-backs very exposed as they have both the opposition wingers and full-backs to deal with. If the central midfielders go out to close down on the wings then it opens up space in middle, so there's an awful lot of risk attached to this tactic, as I found out much to my detriment.

I hope that doesn't put you off using it! I would love for someone to get the narrow diamond to work.

At the moment, I'm now starting again with a 4-2-1-2-1 formation which is spearheaded by inside forwards and a false nine. Inside forwards have had a lot of joy against me in this game so far, so I thought why not try them myself. I'm in pre-season still so in no real position to pass proper judgment on this tactic yet.

Keep us updated with your progress. I'm in the same boat pretty much and could do with learning a thing or two!

I started Liverpool saves and got sacked in October and January, so I feel your pain!

The logical way does seem to play with attacking full-backs as Johnson, Enrique and Cissokho are all very capable of performing that role. I also tried a 4-1-2-1-2 and found that I was absolutely dominating games, but not creating enough clear cut chances.

In the Liverpool thread, it was also brought to my attention that although this formation saw Enrique (usually) and Johnson bomb forward, the narrow diamond leaves the full-backs very exposed as they have both the opposition wingers and full-backs to deal with. If the central midfielders go out to close down on the wings then it opens up space in middle, so there's an awful lot of risk attached to this tactic, as I found out much to my detriment.

I hope that doesn't put you off using it! I would love for someone to get the narrow diamond to work.

At the moment, I'm now starting again with a 4-2-1-2-1 formation which is spearheaded by inside forwards and a false nine. Inside forwards have had a lot of joy against me in this game so far, so I thought why not try them myself. I'm in pre-season still so in no real position to pass proper judgment on this tactic yet.

Keep us updated with your progress. I'm in the same boat pretty much and could do with learning a thing or two!

How about 4132 then. That would have more players in the centre even if one of the CMs went wide.

-SnUrF

How about a 41221, balanced control for games you feel you are strongest and a balance counter for when your not.

GK: D

FBR: S Johnson?

CD: D Agger?

CD: D Skrtel?

FBL: A Enrique?

DM: Anchor man? Lucas

CMR: DLP S Allen?

CML: APM S/A Gerrard?

WR: IF A Sturridge

WL: Coutinho not sure what role would best suit him

Str: CF:S Suarez

Excuse all the question marks, this was not intended to be a riddle!! :)

Team instructions: RETAIN POSSESION, PASS INTO SPACE, EXPLOIT FLANKS.

Add more as you go from what you see in games.

Hope this helps for you

After thinking about it Coutinho probably suits AP role so perhaps switching Gerrard to something else?? If you used this Coutinho would sit narrower infield, and if Gerrard was also an AP in CML position they would be occupying the same spaces

After thinking about it Coutinho probably suits AP role so perhaps switching Gerrard to something else?? If you used this Coutinho would sit narrower infield, and if Gerrard was also an AP in CML position they would be occupying the same spaces

If you started coutinho wide left (with a ap/a) then you wld have home coming in from the left side to play the left sided attacking mid strata by dribbling into space with Gerard as ap/s then he wld sit that fraction deeper and spray passes around in the right handed side of strata

How about 4132 then. That would have more players in the centre even if one of the CMs went wide.

-SnUrF

I did contemplate a 4-1-3-2 and may well fiddle around with it as my one of back-up tactics. At the moment my midfield and forward set-up for Liverpool looks like this:

DMC --------DMC

CM

IF-------------------------IF

F9

So say if I am getting attacked down the wings, even if Gerrard and Lucas are dragged out wide to help cover the full-backs, Coutinho is offering at least some protection in the middle. Whereas with the 4-1-2-1-2, the AMC is pretty much always tracking back and is often too late to cover the huge gaps in midfield and help out the DMC.

Sturridge and Sterling aren't tracking back as much as I would like, but then again they aren't defence-minded in the slightest so it's to be expected. But, at least they are in the AMR and AML positions and do (eventually) provide cover for the full-backs, allowing Gerrard and Lucas to shift back into the centre. With the 4-1-2-1-2, the full-back cover is not there at all.

I'm only a few games into my Liverpool save with this tactic I'm using but I didn't concede in my first three games (before losing to Tottenham 2-1 (two free-kicks :(), and for the first time since buying the game I am winning those games comfortably too which is making me a much happier person.

If I'm still feel like I'm overwhelmed in the middle then the 4-1-3-2, like you say SnUrf, gives you more protection in central areas straight from the off. Thanks for the advice.