Sports Interactive Community
Alari Naylor

Football Manager Handheld 2014 Official Feedback Thread

Thanks. I didn't realise the periodic variations in a player's role came from changes in his attributes.

Yeah sorry if it wasn't clear - the player and coach preferences are based on his attributes combined with his personality ... some players are more selfless than others so will be more inclined towards 'team roles', some will be more selfish and so inclined towards out and out attacking roles ...

This also gives a nice realistic shift where a players preferred role might change as he ages and loses pace, so Gerrard might originally have preferred being a "Box to Box Midfielder" but now his pace and stamina have declined a little he might prefer being a "Deep Lying Midfielder" helping the defense and conducting play from further back.

I don't know if this will be fixed for the next transfer update but Bruma, from Galatasaray, has his main nationality set as GNB but in real life he has already been called up for Portugal and he has, in fact, played for Portugal on all levels since U15. The entire Portuguese community would appreciate if that was fixed for the upcoming update.

Another thing that I don't really understand is why some teams change if you load one nation only or if you load that nation with some secondary nations. I'll give you an example:

If I load Portugal as my only league I'll have some players at FC Porto that should be out on loan.

If I load Portugal and another country, those players are out on loan and I'll have more players that I didn't have when I had Portugal only.

Why does that happen? Wouldn't it make more sense to have all the players in the database loaded for all the clubs playing in Portugal if I loaded Portugal only? To be honest, the players I'm missing in FC Porto aren't really that important for me, but if I was a Sporting Lisbon supporter that would be different because you get two young future stars in their team if you load Portugal with another country. Sure, If I really wanted those two players I could do just that, but then the amount of portuguese players I would have available would be a lot smaller.

Hi Mark, Is it possible add more "action" in 2d modes? I think that there are problem to add a complete 2d match but all shot and all defensive saves could be importants for user.....

If it is not possible, please, add a new mode: a compleate "live Ticker" with more news about where is the ball on the pitch.

Please because in this moment match area is not very good

Late to the party, thanks to the recent sale and the endless wait for a new Cricket Captain game.

I enjoyed the challenges. I didn't find them difficult, but no doubt the side you choose (I went with Middlesbrough) has a big part to play in that.

My first attempt at a full game has been...less enjoyable. The thing I have always loved about CM/FM has been building a long-term career - a few 200,000 word stories on these forums attest to that. The career years limit bothered me a bit, but I understand the limitations of the device. I slaughtered all and sundry in my first season with Wolves, finishing well on top and knocking out a couple of Championship sides in the cups despite selling two top players to reduce the wage bill. Then, four months later, I was sacked after a mediocre start (placed 17th) to the Championship. Well, so much for that career.

I tend to play in Classic mode these days, and have always skimmed over a lot of the features, but the slimmed down nature of the game can be jarring at times.

I find it a lot harder to find good free signings - no doubt a combination of the small database and the streamlined scouting system. It seems more designed for those players (admittedly the majority) who tend to buy many of their players, something I've never done. It's a real chore sorting through the available players without being able to display attributes. Sure, you can filter them, but that's much more limited.

It's also annoying to not see more financial detail - if I get promoted, cut the wages, sell a player, etc, I want to see the impact.

In a similar vein, I really miss all the little touches that built up the history of your management - the teams of the year, records, past performances, player of the year... Obviously it would be a waste of resources to have it for every side, but it would be great if it could be done for the user team.

I think I'll go back to the challenges - shame three of them aren't unlockable via gameplay, but maybe picking different teams for the available ones will make them more interesting.

Edit: Oh, and I really don't need my mailbox flooded with messages about the top league's transfer news when I'm many leagues below!

No - I vehemently hate such things, I know FMC has one in it ... but frankly it wouldn't if I was in charge of the project.

My reasoning is that such things destroy the addictiveness and immersion of the game - it becomes far to easy to say 'this season is going nowhere I'll fast forward to the next one' ... then you get to the next one and you don't really know how your players performed and aren't attached to them in the same way you would be if they'd played through with you.

Yeah I can understand that - one day I hope to implement 'in match' saving to help avoid this.

The lack of an instant play button is the only thing stopping me from purchasing. My mobile games are for quick play sessions.

The lack of an instant play button is the only thing stopping me from purchasing. My mobile games are for quick play sessions.

Fair enough - thanks for the feedback and as always that is everyones right to decide, its impossible to please everyone all of the time (much as I do try to ;) ).

Ι played a couple of seasons and really liked this year's direction, great work. The thing I still want though is the inclusion of squad numbers in a future update and in the future, regen faces.

Why does the German national team have no 'actual' players?

Legal reasons I'm afraid.

Bayern have had legal "issues" this week ..... Will their players need to be removed :D

I've just played on this for about an hour so here are a few observations

1 - When you select a tactic, save, or anything else where you are restricted to only the 4 slots the background is grey with the wording in black ... So very difficult to see.

Only once 1 of the 4 is selected does it become viewable by turning white - have tried this with the 3 different options for dark/grey etc and the colour blind option is off

2 - a lot of teams play 4-4-1-1 ... At least the major English teams it seems (Chelsea, Liverpool, Man U & arsenal)

Is this because I am playing 4-1-1-2-2? (2 inside forwards on the wings with a TRQ & CMF)

Their predicted tactics are sometimes very different to what they actually start the game with but maybe they simply adapt their to mine - Devs ... Is this the way it works?

Has there been a tactics tweak for the opposition?

3 - lots of bugs in the highlights

.... I've had 2 players sent off when there were only a few players on the pitch, the rest were hiding on the corner spot but at least I know when I see this that a red card is about to be shown :)

Also I was defending a corner and my keeper was on the penalty spot so once the corner was taken he ended up nearer to the edge of the area that his goal line.

4 - Love some of the new search options which massively improve this option.

5 - Have noticed loads of new match report feedback too which is great

.... But I still get criticised for daft stuff like having 2 men sent off so withdrew both my wingers to play 4-3-1 and was criticised for lack of width play or words to that effect ... Even though I held out for the win :)

Nothing bad in the above will stop me playing - if pitch highlights are buggy then I will just go for the commentary only if necessary.

Is it just current players that aren't allowed in the German National team? Could you fill the team with regens once the real players have retired?

Only once 1 of the 4 is selected does it become viewable by turning white - have tried this with the 3 different options for dark/grey etc and the colour blind option is off

This is an issue with the iOS build on some devices - some of the graphical files appear to have corrupted somewhere in transit and while our 'QA' build was fine the one which went live has a few graphical oddities at present, we'll get a mini-update out with these corrected asap.

This is an issue with the iOS build on some devices - some of the graphical files appear to have corrupted somewhere in transit and while our 'QA' build was fine the one which went live has a few graphical oddities at present, we'll get a mini-update out with these corrected asap.

Thanks Marc .... Not major for me .. More an FYI for you I guess

2 - a lot of teams play 4-4-1-1 ... At least the major English teams it seems (Chelsea, Liverpool, Man U & arsenal)

Is this because I am playing 4-1-1-2-2? (2 inside forwards on the wings with a TRQ & CMF)

Their predicted tactics are sometimes very different to what they actually start the game with but maybe they simply adapt their to mine - Devs ... Is this the way it works?

Has there been a tactics tweak for the opposition?

Are you a large/successful club yourself? Other big clubs will possibly have a tendency to pack the midfield more against a successful club that plays fairly attacking football now, especially when they're away from home.

And Marc I wanna add that after the update, the green pitch and the details of the stadium in an attacking play in a match disappeared, which now I can only see players floating around and there is not even a touchline lol I am on the ios

Are you a large/successful club yourself? Other big clubs will possibly have a tendency to pack the midfield more against a successful club that plays fairly attacking football now, especially when they're away from home.

I'm City so yes that makes sense now - thanks Alari

And Marc I wanna add that after the update, the green pitch and the details of the stadium in an attacking play in a match disappeared, which now I can only see players floating around and there is not even a touchline lol I am on the ios

We're aware of this and are looking to get it sorted ASAP - please see the separate thread on the issue.

I've just played on this for about an hour so here are a few observations

1 - When you select a tactic, save, or anything else where you are restricted to only the 4 slots the background is grey with the wording in black ... So very difficult to see.

Only once 1 of the 4 is selected does it become viewable by turning white - have tried this with the 3 different options for dark/grey etc and the colour blind option is off.

This really bugs me - bizarre graphical change in my opinion. Just doesn't seem to make much sense, although i suppose it's only a minor inconvenience.

This really bugs me - bizarre graphical change in my opinion. Just doesn't seem to make much sense, although i suppose it's only a minor inconvenience.

Its not intentional and wasn't in our QA build, its been confirmed as a problem with transferring the app on the network unfortunately (appears to have lost a few graphical files); a mini-update will come out asap to correct this issue.

It looks like I can no longer select hdtv version for my galaxy s4. I do not see the option anywhere.
How do you mean?

How do you mean?

After the update, I no longer have a skin optimized for 1080p screen, looks like it was made for smaller/older phones. I remember there used to be an option, or a description that let you know which skin was applied, now I don't see that. I don't know why it has defaulted to lower definition skin after the update

When you go to the credits page there should be a string at the top of the path which indicates the skin used - normally either HVGA, WVGA or HDTV ... something like that, if that present and if so what does it say?

You have just annonced the new PSVita FM 2014 Classic. Good news, but regarding the number of PS Vita in the World, did you plan to release it on iOS / Android ?

I think, Sony pay you very well to release it on Vita first :)

Strange.

A PS Vita is "just" an ARM Quad A9 at 2ghz with a SGX543MP4+ and 512mo ram.

The lastest iPad is at least 2times faster, have twice the ram.

Maybe iOS is too heavy to support it ?

Strange.

A PS Vita is "just" an ARM Quad A9 at 2ghz with a SGX543MP4+ and 512mo ram.

The lastest iPad is at least 2times faster, have twice the ram.

Maybe iOS is too heavy to support it ?

Mobile devices have all kinds of other stuff using up processing power (yes, including the OS) and totally different memory management, PS Vita is built specifically for gaming and with the intention to offer up all of its resources to one single game. Marc will probably be able to go into more detail on this.

iOS is built around long-term stability and ease of use with an inherantly 'interruptable' approach to applications so that external-kernel programs can come in interrupt applications.

This is essential if you think about it because its first and foremost use is on phone devices - this does however mean that its constantly sharing its resources and processing power, restricting it hugely in comparison to a dedicated games device like the Vita.

The easiest way to think about this is that the iOS/Android devices constantly get interrupted by things other than the 'active' game which slows down their effective processing power and what they can remember ... to put this in non-programmer terms, think how efficient you are if you're doing a task without interruption, then imagine you're doing that task with your wife constantly interrupting you and how much slower you'd be (and you'd probably forget where in the task you are because you're trying to remember what you're doing at the same time as what your wife is talking about).

I understand you want the quick fix out ASAP but are we talking a couple of days or maybe a week?

I understand you want the quick fix out ASAP but are we talking a couple of days or maybe a week?

It's entirely depending on the approval process, very difficult to predict.

Is it just current players that aren't allowed in the German National team? Could you fill the team with regens once the real players have retired?

This used to happen with the PC version. Regens would start replacing the grays in the U21s and then eventually the national team. But I think even that was stopped. Not played the PC version properly for a couple of years.

My 1 (and only) suggestion is purely related to aesthetics.

It would be nice if the screen auto rotated depending which landscape you hold it in. Currently (on Android), it forces you play landscape where the top of the phone (ear piece end) sits in your left hand, sometimes I like to flip it so the top of the phone is in my right, this doesn't function in FMH!

It would be nice if the screen auto rotated depending which landscape you hold it in. Currently (on Android), it forces you play landscape where the top of the phone (ear piece end) sits in your left hand, sometimes I like to flip it so the top of the phone is in my right, this doesn't function in FMH!

I always assumed you android dudes had the same switch screens as us apple munchers!!'

That's a bit rough ....

I'll try and work out how to rotate the screen around based on orientation for next years game - at present its a known limitation of how I implemented the Android version.

iOS is built around long-term stability and ease of use with an inherantly 'interruptable' approach to applications so that external-kernel programs can come in interrupt applications.

This is essential if you think about it because its first and foremost use is on phone devices - this does however mean that its constantly sharing its resources and processing power, restricting it hugely in comparison to a dedicated games device like the Vita.

The easiest way to think about this is that the iOS/Android devices constantly get interrupted by things other than the 'active' game which slows down their effective processing power and what they can remember ... to put this in non-programmer terms, think how efficient you are if you're doing a task without interruption, then imagine you're doing that task with your wife constantly interrupting you and how much slower you'd be (and you'd probably forget where in the task you are because you're trying to remember what you're doing at the same time as what your wife is talking about).

It doesn't help the game then that you work from home, does it? ;)

Actually enjoying FMH more than ever before. It helps being more time constraint and I got too lazy these days to properly fire up FM PC. Skipped FM 14 and once in a while going back to my FM 13 save helps to forgive FMH shortcomings.

This years version really feels more polished than ever. Are you considering a tactical overhaul for the game in the not too distant future, Marc?

It doesn't help the game then that you work from home, does it? ;)

Fortunately for me - my wife is very active and out a lot during the day ... ;)

Actually enjoying FMH more than ever before. It helps being more time constraint and I got too lazy these days to properly fire up FM PC. Skipped FM 14 and once in a while going back to my FM 13 save helps to forgive FMH shortcomings.

Glad to hear you're enjoying the game :D

This years version really feels more polished than ever. Are you considering a tactical overhaul for the game in the not too distant future, Marc?

As always we'll be evolving the game forward - but unfortunately I'm sworn to secrecy regarding future plans until closer to fruition.

(FMH will ALWAYS remain a faster and more 'fun' game than FM PC is presently though, if I have anything to do with it ... ;) )

But still - most tablets have at least 1GB of ram which is two times more than Vita have + the only reason why they have it is to do more then one task at once, otherwise they would have those 512MB as Vita allowing to do only one thing, so your reasoning isn't really acceptable!!

But still - most tablets have at least 1GB of ram which is two times more than Vita have + the only reason why they have it is to do more then one task at once, otherwise they would have those 512MB as Vita allowing to do only one thing, so your reasoning isn't really acceptable!!

I'm not planning on making FMH a tablet only (or high end device only) application and as such at present I don't believe its feasible to make even on those (perhaps in a year or two such devices will exist) - you are obviously more than welcome to disagree with my judgement on this, however its not something I decide lightly and we continually monitor the performance of the devices we develop upon to ascertain exactly how far they can be pushed and what can be implemented.

Its for this reason that you may have noticed Android now supports multiple leagues and that the FMH game now contains over 50% more players than it did during its first release on mobile back in 2010.

I apologize if this response isn't the one you wanted - just trying to be honest, when the time is right and the market ready I'm sure things will evolve further (however FMH will remain a faster pick up and play game than FM PC/Mac regardless of the performance power available).

Hi Marc.

When I load the English divisions only, the database has about 6500 players, and this is with the large database option.

Would it be possible to make an extra large database option In FMH15. For example there could be a "Small", "Normal", "Large", "Extra Large" option or something like that.

I think that an iPhone 5S should be able to handle 20.000 players. Waiting between the "Continues" doesn't bother me. I know that the performance would be a little slower, but at least we would have the choise to select the database size that fits our phones.

I've given up my hopes for new leagues, especially for the remaining former World Champions; Argentina and Uruguay.

Nowadays, I would just like to have back the 'Continue' button placed at the lower right corner (or even as an option through setup), it's really uncomfortable at the top.

Those are huge turn-offs for me and could explain why I haven't played the game more than a couple of times even though I buy it every year.

I'm not planning on making FMH a tablet only (or high end device only) application and as such at present I don't believe its feasible to make even on those (perhaps in a year or two such devices will exist) - you are obviously more than welcome to disagree with my judgement on this, however its not something I decide lightly and we continually monitor the performance of the devices we develop upon to ascertain exactly how far they can be pushed and what can be implemented.

Its for this reason that you may have noticed Android now supports multiple leagues and that the FMH game now contains over 50% more players than it did during its first release on mobile back in 2010.

I apologize if this response isn't the one you wanted - just trying to be honest, when the time is right and the market ready I'm sure things will evolve further (however FMH will remain a faster pick up and play game than FM PC/Mac regardless of the performance power available).

Surely, this year's version is the most polished, best looking one of all FMHs. Surely, people do have a choice now of playing almost full-fat FM on the go if they own or care to purchase a Vita, and thus FMH must continue to offer the most streamlined version of all FM. I truly appreciate feature parity between iOS and Android for the first time, and I don`t doubt that FMH will evolve more over time.

I am quite happy with the state of the match engine. I also can live with the conscious decision by the developers to not implement team talks.

But, I truly hope for more tactical options. All things considered, the tactics have been on the shallow side for too long. True, player roles were a nice addition (although I don't care much for and about them). Still, it would help immersion if there was more to tinker with and to see it unfolding on the pitch over time (and with the right players). Again, not asking for a new match engine, but more ways to react to what's happening on the pitch.

I must say, I love the game as it is. Yeah there are the odd few things from the PC/MAX game I miss (watching a cup draw)! But its not a breaker for me. It reminds me of playing the old style CM2 games and being able to get through a season at a good speed but also feel like you are really achieving something, the balance is perfect. You will never make everybody happy as everyone wants something different! But I am one very happy customer! Keep up the excellent work Marc and the team!

I love this game. I think that FMH is perfect for fast and fun game but for me the best could be to add these things:

1. A better match engine with an extedended/ comhrensive highlights 2D or 3D for me is same, but i must understand what happen in the pitch;

2. Tactical parts with more features like: zone or man mark option; Wind or center attack;

3. Please when we start a new game put a casual team selection button;

4. Add at info section kits picture that user could customizable like logos and player pictures and show them in summary during and after a match

For me if you put this features this is not a game but the game. I could play everywhere on my ipad!!

I'm pretty happy with the game. I'd like to see pre tournament odds. When playing in unfamiliar leagues or may be the far future, it would be good to see who the favourites for a cup or division are early on. Also with scouting I still think the word decent is used to frequently and that young players, who are better than your own rubbish young players, receive too much praise eg "potential to be one of the best players at the club" when they clearly haven't got that potential. I'd also like the match stats for all games to be saved for the whole season but appreciate that's a memory issue.

Currently addicted after moving away from the desktop versions due to time commitments (children, damn them!)

My feedback would be:

- Reduce size of the ball on the 2D highlights and introduce some curve to the ball. My imagination is running low now I've played 500+ games...

- Tweak highlights to remove repetitive/foreseeable events i.e. player pass to winger in final third, 100% chance that player will shoot and slowly shoots and keeper saves.

- Apart from the ball going unrealistic slow for a shot sometimes, it is generally difficult to differentiate between normal and hard shots - if this actually exists - so I would like to see an obvious difference in how hard a shot or pass has been hit. AND height. A smaller ball may help with this.

- Players seem to hit the ball first time most of the time. So if you use your imagination you pretty much get first time volleys from all over the pitch. What ever happened to a player getting passed, taking a touch or two then hitting, it's just ping pong most of the time.

I would enjoy the game much more if the highlights weren't as predictable.

Also don't see how man marking is not an option, especially since I've had coaches suggest I man mark players but there is no option to do it.

Also, scouting is a mess because I will scout for players and they seem to ignore my criteria and swamp my inbox. I would rather the scout update me weekly and I look at a report of all of his findings (which I want to be able to filter in the same way I can filter the transfer market or shortlist) than he send me a message for every single player he finds.

Also would like an auto remove report/from shortlist option so that I don't have 1000 day old reports etc. This has been annoying because I've gone from Conference to Championship and did not clear shortlist/reports so had to just start from scratch at an inconvenient point in the season.

Also please fix the sort by ability list. If I view lists by coach report and press sort by ability it changes the order to an apparently random order, not 5* > 1* etc.

I'm pretty happy with the game. I'd like to see pre tournament odds. When playing in unfamiliar leagues or may be the far future, it would be good to see who the favourites for a cup or division are early on. Also with scouting I still think the word decent is used to frequently and that young players, who are better than your own rubbish young players, receive too much praise eg "potential to be one of the best players at the club" when they clearly haven't got that potential. I'd also like the match stats for all games to be saved for the whole season but appreciate that's a memory issue.

Completely agree with the odds to be fair, that is something I enjoy no matter what league I play in. Although I think the scouting side, that depends on how good your scouts are as well I believe? It is tailored for each different scout and dependant on what you already have.. I may be wrong though

I love this game. I think that FMH is perfect for fast and fun game but for me the best could be to add these things:

1. A better match engine with an extedended/ comhrensive highlights 2D or 3D for me is same, but i must understand what happen in the pitch;

2. Tactical parts with more features like: zone or man mark option; Wind or center attack;

3. Please when we start a new game put a casual team selection button;

4. Add at info section kits picture that user could customizable like logos and player pictures and show them in summary during and after a match

For me if you put this features this is not a game but the game. I could play everywhere on my ipad!!

5. A new information team as main link for teams with all main data with manager photo, home - away kits pictures and team logos.

In the next day i will put some screen with my ideas.