Sports Interactive Community
Sign in to follow this  
Raku

Roma formation 4-3-1-2

Hello FM community!

My first post/thread here...

Starting first season with Roma in Serie A. Decided for a variant of 4-3-1-2. It looks like this (I will put screen in here in the evening):

GK (D) De Sanctis - RB (S) Maicon, CD (D) Benatia, CD (D) Romagnoli, LB (S) Dodo - BWM (S) Bradley, BWM (D) De Rossi, BWM (S) Strootman - AM (S) Pjanic - FN (S) Totti, CF (A) Boriello

No additional Player Instructions, Team Instructions: Higher Tempo and Push Higher. General: Fluid and Attacking.

What would you change/improve? For now all pre-season games won, beside 10 men draw with Atletico Madrid ;) I know it's very soon and league games will show if the tactic is good or not, but maybe some of you have any interesting ideas for this tactic in mind :)

I would not have 3 BWM's. I don't see how that will work when you are in possession of the ball. I would have at most one BWM. You can play an aggressive style without having 3 BWMs, both De Rossi and Strootman are players that can offer a lot more, though I guess Bradley is a tad more limited, so I might choose him as the BWM. I would also add "Hassle the opponent" as an instruction, in order for your players to be more aggressive when it comes to winning the ball.

strootman offers good offence and defence, i would go for B2B for his role, bradley exell as BWM, DDR can play any roles you give, but mostly i play him as DM, pjanic works well with AP if totti's role is not TQ, cos many times I see pjanic and totti play on top of each other

Shame on me, I have changed my mind and changed the tactics while in pre-season (before last game). I have already played 3 games in Serie A with:

(H) Sassuolo 1:0

(A) Verona 4:1

(H) Sampdoria 3:2

So three straight wins with shiny new 4-5-1 :D

Basically it looks like this:

De Sanctis as a Goalkeeper with Defensive approach. Defence: Right Full Back Maicon with Support approach, two Limited Defenders in the center Benatia and Romagnoli, Left Full Back Dodo with the same approach as Maicon. In the midfield there are two Box to Box: De Rossi and Strootman (both support), two wingers with Inside Forward role: Gervinho on the right and Ljajic on the left, Pjanic playing as a Advanced Playmaker (attacking) in the center. In the attack Marco Boriello only with role of Complete forward (attacking approach).

Team instructions: Higher Tempo and Hassle Opponents.

In all of the matches there was great work done by Benatia ruling the defence, De Rossi and Pjanic mastering midfield in the centre and Gervinho on the right wing. I still see Strootman not playing particularly well with average about 6,9. Maicon is completing with ex-Arsenal's winger, proving to be also a big threat for the opponents defence. Boriello is focusing attention of the defenders, so Pjanic is at the moment top scorer with 3 goals, all of them, he was left in free space and finished attacking moves with no mercy. Sassuolo had much luck it was only 1:0.

What worries me at the moment is that left wing is not working so well just like in the case of Strootman. Other problem is that De Sanctis is not particularly trustworthy goalie, two of three goals lost are his credit (one lob and one unnecesary too early going for one on one). Lobont didn't convince me in pre-season either and Skorupski is not experienced enough at the moment.