'Transfer Budget Cost' on Free Transfers

Just started a save with Newcastle and turned budgets off in the first transfer window to add a bit of realism. Thought I'd be able to get one or two free transfers in but every time I've tried to it's been blocked due to insufficient funds. I've noticed when offering the player a contract, in the bottom right hand corner there seems to be something which says 'Transfer Budget Cost: £234k'. It's also prevented me agreeing a pre-contract with Keisuke Honda as there's costs related to that too. Thought that could be compensation but then it doesn't explain it for free agents.

Never known a free transfer to require any money out of your transfer budget before. Anyone know the reason why?

I already made a thread about this exact topic. If you use "no transfer budgets in first window" you can't sign anyone on a free transfer (even a pre-contract 6 months in advance) because agent fees and a portion of the loyalty bonus come out of the transfer budget.

no such thing as free transfer, agent fees etc

Agreed but for folks who use "no transfer budgets in first window" it's a bit irritating as the intent is to use the real-life squads for the first 6 months, not to prevent clubs from approaching players whose contracts are expiring in 6 months. As the threadstarter says, no club can approach Keisuke Honda even though his contract expires in January 2014.

Archived