FM14 - Nottingham Forest Thread. All aboard the Kuwaiti funbus

robterrace

Welcome to the Nottingham Forest thread for FM14.

Most of this will be based on the thread created by mistrollingin last season, as it was informative, and virtually identical to what I was doing anyway.

oARvf.jpg?1

Club History

Early Innovators

Nottingham Forest Football Club was formed in 1865 and although they were not founder members of the Football League they did play an important part in the early development of the game. Sam Widdowson was a key figure in those early years playing for Forest as well as playing cricket for Nottinghamshire. It was this crossover of sports that led to him cutting down some cricket pads to wear as football shin guards, an idea which quickly caught on.

sqPeO.jpg?1

Forest are also credited with playing the first match in which a referee’s whistle was used and the introduction of the crossbar, whilst Widdowson went on to referee the first game in which goal nets were used. The club’s benevolence also led these original Reds to provide shirts for both Arsenal and Liverpool and early support for Brighton and Hove Albion, helping them secure a place to play.

On the pitch the biggest achievement was to win the FA Cup in 1898 beating local rivals Derby County to secure what would be their only major trophy for some time.

doYuR.jpg?1

Billy Walker

The club has been so totally dominated by the impact of Brian Clough that Billy Walker often does not get the credit he deserves for his 21 year reign as Forest manager between 1939 and 1960 during which time he laid down a strong tradition for passing football that permeates the very soul of the club to this day.

jcZil.jpg?1

Wednesbury born Walker played as a striker for Aston Vila scoring 214 goals in 478 appearances, as well as 9 goals in 18 appearances for England. At Forest he managed 650 games in charge across the top 3 divisions winning the Third Division South title in 1951 and promotion from Division Two as runners up in 1957 before securing the club’s second FA Cup victory in 1959 beating Luton Town at Wembley.

Whilst his achievements may seem small in comparison to Clough’s he still represents a huge part of the club’s history and ethos.

Brian Clough and Peter Taylor

There is nothing that can be said here that has not been said before. The arrival of Brian Clough, followed closely by his regular sparring partner Peter Taylor, transformed Nottingham Forest as it had Derby beforehand. Over the course of 908 games in 18 and a half years as manager Clough turned Forest from a provisional football club into a globally recognised name.

TdFH2.jpg?1

A Championship winning season, immediately after winning promotion the season before is often unheralded, but Clough then led Forest on a European rampage, winning back to back European Cups, and cementing an era of dominance for English football that has gone unheard of since, even after the advent of the Premier League.

More than ever Forest became known for attractive football played with a good spirit. Referees enjoyed visiting the City Ground sure of good manners and neutrals were attracted by the flowing football built around the pivot of young Nigel, who had sat as a child with his dad on the Forest bench in the 70’s watching the trophies pile up.

When the Clough era finally ended in relegation in the inaugural Premier League season of 1992-93 the farewell was loaded with emotion. No one left the ground after Forest’s fate was confirmed and the tears were not for relegation they were for a man who had shared our passion for a huge part of our lives – in some cases all of it.

R.I.P. Brian

Post Clough

It was never going to be easy for the club to transition out of the Clough era but Frank Clark did a good job of steadying the ship early on. He made an immediate return to the Premier League and led the club to an astonishing 3rd place finish the following year. That led to a European adventure in the UEFA Cup that took in Malmo, Auxerre and Lyon before coming to a nostalgic end against Bayern Munich, involving a return to the Olympic Stadium where Forest had beaten Malmo in the 1979 European Cup final.

The influx of money into football was something that Forest struggled to cope with, however, and when business vultures circled things began to go wrong. Clark left in exasperation and was followed by a string of managers who for a variety of reasons failed.

Dave Bassett had some initial success but the rot was setting in summed up by the appointment of ten “permanent” managerial appointments in the 18 years following Brian Clough’s own 18 year reign. Nigel Doughty a wealthy businessman and lifelong Forest fan invested heavily both financially and emotionally but the club sank into the Third Division before finally hitting the bottom of its post-Clough depression.

Colin Calderwood finally dragged the club back into the Championship before a big spending spree helped Billy Davies lead Forest back into a promotion challenge falling at the playoff semi-final stage for two season running. This ultimate failure to gain promotion led to a split between Doughty and Davies and the appointment of Steve McLaren in what sparked a terrible year for the club and the Doughty family.

By the end of the season Doughty was tragically dead and the club was in turmoil.

The Al-Hasawi Family

Out of the devastation of last season arose a Kuwaiti family of football fans who secured ownership of the club on 10 July 2012 (it’s easy to forget that it was only a such a short time ago), announcing their takeover by the now familiar method of news dissemination - Fawaz Al-Hasawi’s Twitter account.

PFEFn7z.jpg

Fawaz Al-Hasawi

Appointing Sean O'Driscoll was a popular choice, as he had a habit of playing attractive football, and was often praised as being the brains behind the Steve Cotterill era prior to the Al-Hasawi arrival, however, he was sacked on Boxing Day 2012, after a 4-2 victory against Leeds United.

Next into the hotseat was Alex McLeish, who was unpopular with the fans from the off, and he lasted just over a month, before departing in early February 2013.

The stage was set then, for the return of a man who many Forest fans still greatly loved for his time at the club in the Doughty era, and who could quite often start a fight in an empty phone box.

Enter. William McIntosh Davies. He galvanised a squad that was short on confidence, and led them on a run to rival his previous times at the club, challenging for the playoffs on the final day, before Anthony Knockaert scored a 92nd minute winner for Leicester to cruelly stop any chance Forest had.

This is where you come in. Forest. A sleeping giant. Rich owners. Expectant fans.

Are you up to it?

Then. Now. Forever. Forest.

Honours

First Division

• Winners 1977/1978

Second Division

• Winners 1906/1907, 1921/1922, 1997/1998

Third Division (South)

• Winners 1950/1951

Football Alliance

• Winners 1891/1892

FA Cup

• Winners 1898, 1959

League Cup

• Winners 1978, 1979, 1989, 1990

FA Charity Shield

• Winners 1978

Full Members Cup

• Winners 1989, 1980

European Cup

• Winners 1979, 1980

UEFA Super Cup

• Winners 1979

Anglo-Scottish Cup

• Winners 1977

Football League Centenary Tournament

• Winners 1988

Nice work Rob. I think my first season signings were:

Joe Bennett (Loan)

Jordi Gomez (Loan)

Apostolos Vellios (Loan)

Matty Fryatt (Loan to buy)

Borja

Jerome Sinclair

Then in January I managed to get Tom Ince for £800k.

Joe Bennett was meant to be my first choice LB but I ended up just playing Danny Collins there as Bennett wasn't as good as my scouts reckoned. Borja did the job at filling that holding midfielder role & Matty Fryatt was my top goalscorer iirc.

I managed to sell Blackstock, Moussi & Harding for actual money but the rest of the dead wood (Derbyshire, Miller & Al Rashidi) ended up being released to help with the wage budget.

Got quite a decent transfer budget in second & third seasons in Premiership to, but the wage budget seems to be an issue & so I always end up swapping half my transfer kitty to wages.

First season: Finished second in Championship, Derby finished First :o.

Second season, bought a really good Striker. Finished 13th in the league and won the Carling Cup securing European Football next Season.

In the third season I bought a regen for 30 million and some freebies. Also sorted out the defensive problems. Was top of the league the majority of the season but I think in the end we had too many fixtures with the Europa League, we had 1 day rest between games at the end of the season so it really was a struggle. We managed to finish third, 5 points off the title. Lost out to Arsenal in the quarter finals of the Europa League after a shocking home performance, but we won the Carling Cup and FA Cup which was superb. We have Champions League football next season.

ZVWqXBI.png

Fourth Season: Havn't decided what to do, not sure if I should keep Cohen, he wants 43k a week and he's already starting to decline / good enough for the CL?; Still gives top performances though. Finally getting rid of Paterson and Abdoun, need to buy 2 more wingers and a few more established defenders. We are still conceding far too many goals. Also signed a really good Striker and a world class Goalkeeper. Although the GK is homesick. Transfer budget is set to 36 million and 750k wages which is superb.

Just a heads up guys, if you are prepared to put the work in with some of the younger guys in the under 18's and 21's a fair few turn in to decent players! Gnahore was more than solid for me 2nd half of season 1. 18 league starts, 4 goals rating 7.04.

Fourth Season: Havn't decided what to do, not sure if I should keep Cohen, he wants 43k a week and he's already starting to decline / good enough for the CL?; Still gives top performances though. Finally getting rid of Paterson and Abdoun, need to buy 2 more wingers and a few more established defenders. We are still conceding far too many goals. Also signed a really good Striker and a world class Goalkeeper. Although the GK is homesick. Transfer budget is set to 36 million and 750k wages which is superb.

I didn't want to, but I got rid of Cohen at start of the third season. I sold Abdoun too, but Paterson is still quite a good impact player for me in the third season, I'm playing in Europa & third in Prem.

Second season transfers:

Jason Steele (can't remember price, couple of mil iirc)

Tom Huddlestone £6m I think (requested transfer, Hull got relegated)

Tom Carroll (again, on the cheap)

Tielemans

Balanta (In Jan)

Vitinho (free)

Mats Dehli (free iirc)

Jack Colback (free or really cheap)

Matej Vydra (free)

Mattias Ginter £1-2m

couple of regens

Sold:

Abdoun £4.1m

Tom Ince £10m

Lichaj

Tom Ince's form was so inconsistent, it started to **** me off and I found that Paterson would often do a better job so in January, I snapped Liverpool's hand off and made myself a nice £9.2m profit.

First Team:

Steele

Jara - Hobbs - Ginter - Colback

Huddlestone

Carroll - Cohen

Ince (R- IF) Vitinho (L-IF)

Vydra

I tweaked the formation a bit because with my previous 4-4-2 I was being over run in midfield all the time & figured a more defensive approach was needed for the Prem. Balanta replaced Ginter as first choice in that team after Jan because Ginter seems to be injured a lot.

Bought the great Mackay-Steven and Cresswell, didn't sell anyone. Forest have a great squad. With a decent tactic you'll have no problem getting into the Premier League. But you'll need some good players to stay up. Can't wait for the new patch with better player ratings because even though we were so dominant, none of my players won some awards not even top 3 in the monthly awards.

aauciL5.jpg

jUW7dPI.jpg

Sitting top, unbeaten halfway through the season. Although I am selling a striker as he wants around 50k wages and he's not good enough for that. Replacing him with an unproven player, could turn out really bad but will have to see. The new wingers are working really good, have far more assists in 19 games then the other 2 had combined the entire last season. Bought a really good CM regen player, although my current CM has been exceptional. Will see how this goes.

upIQwgq.png

• 2 weeks later...
Hey Guys,

Can anyone recommend a good goalkeeper for first season who would be interested in signing for forest?

Preferably a free/under 2 or 3 million pound player.

Cheers guys, much appreciated.

Despite trying my hardest to do so, I didn't manage to sign a keeper in the first season. Darlow did a pretty good job though.

Only advice I can give after playing for a good few seasons is look for players in the last year of their contract, you can usually pick them up dirt cheap.

Despite trying my hardest to do so, I didn't manage to sign a keeper in the first season. Darlow did a pretty good job though.

Only advice I can give after playing for a good few seasons is look for players in the last year of their contract, you can usually pick them up dirt cheap.

Yeah, I decided to do the same. One positive is that Darlow is young and therefore has time to develop a little bit if trained properly etc.

Cheers for the advice, I will definitely look at that in the future seasons. :thup:

Tbh, 3-4 seasons in & I've not been in a much better situation than I was then. I signed Ruffier to replace Darlow, then Bardi who was 23-24yo & apparently had potential but now he's hit 25yo they've decided he wont get any better. I've finally got Koval coming at the end of the season for £1.2m (last year of his contract). He's is better than Ruffier & Bardi so I'll play him while I keep my eye out for the one keeper with World Class potential according to my scouts to decide he'd like to join me.

I'm quite a few seasons in now & after a good season, finishing 2nd or 3rd in the Premiership, people have started making more ridiculous offers for my players so I've decided to get rid and buy others in that my scouts tell me have the potential to be better or already are better.

The season before, I'd bought Ben Davies for £3.4m, he got a ton of man of the match awards and was easily the best performing LB in the league so I sold him to Man Utd for £35m & bought Jonathan Silva for about £6.5m.

I've now sold Vitinho for £40m & Memphis Depay £42.5m and bought in Julian Draxler or his £38.5m release clause & Douglas Costa for £5.5m. Managed to sign Axel Witsel and Yann M'Vila on frees and splashed some decent money on some good newgens too.

First team line-up is:

GK: Koval

RB: Zulu® / Clyne

LB: Silva / Bastianini®

CB: Lele

CB: Balanta

DM: M'Vila / Can

MC: Pereyra / Özyakup

MC: Witsel / Ward-Prowse

AML: Draxler / Douglas Costa

AMR: Gomez / Douglas Costa

CF: Luuk De Jong / Alberto Cerri

Unfortunately, after my initial start of buying good English players, I found better and cheaper elsewhere. That's screwing me over a bit in terms of Champions League and even Premier League registrations. What's worse is most of the youngsters I've bought are Argentinian, so unless they turn 18 during a transfer window, I don't get to have them as homegrown players.

My English players are Jamal Lascelles, Nathaniel Clyne, Tom Huddlestone, James Ward-Prowse, Jamie Paterson, two youths & then Özyakup was HG at Arsenal. Only Clyne & Ward-Prowse even play on a rotation basis for me. Tony Pulis is slagging me off in the media for having so many foreigners but I'll show him when I win the league this season. :D I've not conceded yet and am about 6-7 games in.

Despite having my youth facilities improved every season, I've not had a single player capable of being anything more than a decent premiership player. They're now showing as "Superb" though so here's hoping the next lot are half decent.

I currently in my 3rd season with Forest & I have to say its going really well! 1st season we won the Championship by 21 points. These were my transfer dealings.

y7t4.png

1st season in the Premiership with managed to finish in a amazing 3rd postion & lost the FA Cup final to Spurs.

mddh.png

iv0v.png

bv0.png

& this season we are currently top of the Premiership going into December & we have ace'd our Champions League group with 5 wins out of 5!

bv0.png

bv0.png

1joy.png

& this is how my current team looks

jcp0.png

My best signing is undoubtebly Omar Damari. He was top goalscorer in the Championship & Premier League last season & all fopr the bargain price of £2.5M. Here's a screenie.

ar90.png

I'll keep you posted on my progress...

Think I am done with this save for a while started with Sunday League experience but getting a bit bored.

Won everything apart from the SuperCup but I was still testing out tactics back then so it doesn't matter too much. Big improvement from the last season where we only won the CL.

Final standings:

PL table: rd5Sdi3.png?1

Trophies won 2020/21

GUV67dN.png?1

Career stats:

28jER4T.png

Trophy stats:

EnBMY0z.png

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

Started a Forest save this morning. Not doing too badly, unbeaten in the league after four games with three draws and a win whilst advancing in the CO Cup.

Brought in Tommy Rowe from Peterboro' at left back, Will Johnson from Portland Timbers at CM, David Bentley on a free and a forward called Leon Benko.

Sold Tudgay, Derbyshire, Gillet, Al-Rashidi and Miller without raising any real funds.

Curious as to how anyone got the forwards to start scoring? All of my goals are coming from midfield and I can't get any of the forwards to score. Cox, Mackie, Henderson and Brecko have all had chances in the team without really causing anyone trouble and tend to receive low ratings. All in all Forest have a very good squad mind, lots of depth and solid at the back although Darlow makes his fair share of mistakes!

Edit: Having said that, Cox has just scored 4 in the next round of the Cup..

• 2 weeks later...

First season I won the championship, 2nd I finished 5Th in prem, qualified for the Europa league, now in the 3rd season I'm doing well in the Europa but struggling in the league, using the same tactics, only brought in two new players, but can't win for money, am I doing somthing wrong?

Hello all, really enjoying my Forest save on this years game - finished the first season as comfortable champions and now sitting in 5th in the Prem.

League table of 2013/14.

ScreenShot2014-01-18at140858_zps0b84c0b9.png

This formation works a treat! Love playing with a False 9 and wonder why I never have before. Frustratingly Mark Noble keeps getting injured.

ScreenShot2014-01-18at140939_zpsa6282bf9.png

My signings for the 2nd season - Fulham, Sunderland & West Ham all got relegated so got a few players off all 3 clubs - Berbatov, Fletcher, Larsson, Collison & Noble. Not spectacular players maybe but very solid and should help in keeping me from relegation. Nastasic was a real coup I reckon, even if it is on loan. He's been superb so far!

ScreenShot2014-01-18at140918_zps059fb0e7.png

I think my best and most surprisingly good player has been Kelvin Wilson, he's an absolute rock!

Hi, starting a save with Notts Forest this morning. They seem to have a competative squad for promotion but wondered who others signed/frees/loans? Any help would be appreciated.

Hi Mate, Forest have a great squad, you could probably get promotion without adding players, bundles of creativity Reid, Raddy, Lansbury etc, and you are blessed with lots of strikers ( Cox has been outstanding for me), depending on what formation you play the only weakness I can see is the Left back position, although harding does a steady job and Cohen can be trained there, Keeper wise...Darlow will develop if you stick with him and accept the odd error.

Hello mate, below is a screenie of the transfers I made in my first season - the ones with a red dot are highly recommended. Simon Makienok I can't recommend enough, playing as a False 9 with Jamie Mackie as a Poacher worked superbly as I won the league easily, really enjoyed it. Forest have a great squad (even though I changed it a fair bit - couldn't resist fairly high fees for some players tbh)

First season Makienok played 43, scored 26 (joint top scorer), 9 assists and Mackie played 38, scored 17 and 11 assists.

ForestTransfers1stseason_zps0545aa97.png

If you work and develop Lascelles, Darlow and Patterson they become real assets for the club, either send them on loan to good clubs where they will get 1st team football or work on their individual training carefully and give plenty of 1st team experience.

If you work and develop Lascelles, Darlow and Patterson they become real assets for the club, either send them on loan to good clubs where they will get 1st team football or work on their individual training carefully and give plenty of 1st team experience.

Yeah definitely - I loaned Paterson to Wolves for the first season and he did really well, Lascelles went to Rangers on loan and did very well too until he broke his ankle. Darlow is still a solid 'keeper in the Prem in second season I've found.

Just in my 1st season with Forest, not too happy with balance of squad so have taken the decision to flog Cox (4.5) and Abdoun (3.7) to make room for signings. Before the start of the season i signed Elokobi who has been immense and Leigh Griffiths who has so far scored 21 goals in 26 league games. I also signed Diakite on a season long loan from QPR who has been solid if unspectacular sitting in front of the back 4. I'm sat in play offs 6 points off top so really looking to push on in those last 20 games and get automatic promotion. Without doubt the highlight of the season so far has been the team's performance in the capital one cup reaching the semi finals. I have beaten Fulham, Sunderland and Arsenal (8-7 on pens) along the way. The first leg of my semi-final away to West Ham finished 2-2 which i was pleased with and we are about to play the home leg with Chelsea waiting in the final.

I have found that both De Vries and Darlow have struggled for consistency and have so far been unsuccesful in my bid to sign a new keeper. I now have a few million to spend and have moved on some high earners to give me some room for manouvere in the transfer market.

I use 4-2-3-1 with Cox as an AF, loaned paterson to Blackpool, signed A Annan (loan) as missed out on Zuculini, and L Paredes has failed a medical (injured till Sept).

My line up is Darlow....Halford-Wilson-Hobbs-Harding...Cohen-Annan..Mackie-Majewski-Abdoun-...Cox

Won my second leg against West Ham 1-0 to get to the final. But Elokobi got injured and out for 2 months. Thought my defence had finally sorted themselves out with 3 consecutive clean sheets and then i get done over 3-2 at home to Yeovil! Arrrghhhh.

Hello all, what did you guys find was the best formation to use with Forest in the Prem? Just finished 2nd season, 1st in the Prem and finished a respectable 9th but lost too many games by stupid scorelines and was a frustrating finish as I was in the top 5 for the large majority of the season.

• 1 month later...

Started a new save on the patch and decided to get a tactic working. So far we're doing ok as we're just coming towards the end of September. We sit 3rd in the league having won 6 out of 8 with a draw and a loss. We've completely bossed all the games. We're into the 3rd Round of the Capital One Cup and I've just beat Doncaster 6-1 at their place with Djebbour grabbing 5 goals. He could have had 6 but one was ruled out for offside.

Going to start a save with Forest I think as I can't seem to settle on a game nowadays. Going to try and bring the big time back to them. Any help will be appreciated. I've turned the first transfer window off to make it that bit more realistic.

Going to start a save with Forest I think as I can't seem to settle on a game nowadays. Going to try and bring the big time back to them. Any help will be appreciated. I've turned the first transfer window off to make it that bit more realistic.

very wierd, this is the same as i have done just tring to find a tactic i like (and works) before i get going.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

Thinking of start a game with the Forest team, and play in a 4-4-2 line, but don't know if it will be a counter-attack team or other. Any suggestion, what is the style that Forest is more easy?

The defenders will be a block/cover role.

What about the striker partnership? AdvFwrd & F9?

Main targets:

- Gary Mackay-Steven

- Ball winning M, don't know who... Any suggestion?

Archived