FM14: Chelsea F.C. - The Happy Ones...We Hope

Bracken

• Replies 426
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Good stuff mate, interesting tactics, I'm guessing it's quite a high pressing game? Some fantastic results from it, 21 from Frank is a great achievement, I can never seem to get him over 20 in my saves on any FM!

Granted I seem to get a high ratio of penalty's! Anyone else find that?

Yes, high pressing game. It tires the players out. So you have to rotate! So requires a big pull of players but rotation does tend maintain happyness within the squad.

Is it just me? Or does a lot of the squad feel the deserve a better contract after one good season?

Man some of you posting up your squads, I'm having trouble figuring out where you are getting your 8 homegrown players from.

Is there a way around that or something that I'm unaware of?

Well i'm on my limit of 25 players with 8 homegrown. I'm lucky in that i have some quality youths coming through the system now which might help but other than that you've got to be scouting youngsters around the world and snapping them up before they reach 18.

I got it after winning the German First Division four times in a row. It pops up after you just make a team into an unstoppable dominating force I think.

Didn't get it after win #3 though, so this one's definitely a tough one.

Really great guide so far Bracken, cant wait for this to be finished :) I'm struggling at the moment to find a nice tactic. It's been very on-off, for example, I beat Kobenhavn 9-0 in the CL, and next game lost 4-0 to Sunderland. Any help would be appreciated from anyone :)

Does anyone here know how to utilise Oscar? I play 4-1-1-3-1 (like 4-2-3-1 but the DM is in the front of the back four), I play oscar as the AMC with AP as the role, he plays good but never best, always losing possessions so easily, and Mata is only slightly better, just scored his 6th on the 34th match in the prem due to injuries (racking 12 assists tho). I've tried to play Oscar on the right as an IF but it didn't work so well because Willian is playing great on that position..

Not me personally since I just took over the Chelsea job after Jose retired at 64 in my game (you said 75 Jose, 75!) but I've seen him deployed a lot as either an AM(S) or AP(S). This gives him more space to work with while still staying onward. His Passing stat isn't the best though early on. If you want to play him as a playmaker, I recommend training up that particular stat.

Just finished the 2026/27 season with 96 points but came 2nd to Mourinho's Man City with 99 which ends my run of 4 consecutive league titles. To make matters worse they then beat me 1-0 in the Champions League final after i went down to 10 men after half an hour and had my captain go off injured :(

Finally finished my first season.. won the League, the Super Cup and Capital One, lost at FA Cup & CL to Mourinho's Man City, 3 last minute goals, defenders didn't defend deep, a real kick in the teeth after leading by 2 goals by the captain :herman:.

Sold Torres (7.5m), Cahill (4m, poor i know) & Essien (5m), bought Balanta (8m) and Matic (12.5m ++)

Demba Ba was immense, I think he finished with like 30 goals in 49-ish matches. Mata, Dave and Hazard bossed the assist department, and MvG has turned into a really solid player, stats-wise.

And now onto the second season.. tried Oscar with the suggestion above, I hope it bodes well. And does anybody know who to use in the second season? As we have many players coming back from loan. I liked the idea of playing and nurturing Cuevas and Wallace but they didn't seem good enough for a backup. And as a Chelsea fan I dont feel like offloading that many players, although I've done that (Moses, Kakuta, PvA, Marin, Piazon, Atsu, Kane, and the list goes on..) Is Romeu good enough? He was my third player at the DM position, Matic & Mikel is the no. 1 choice. And should I buy a striker? As I only have Lukaku and Ba, with Schurrle occasionally thrown into the top.. bagged 15 goals from up top & the wings for me..

After the second season I sold De Bruyne to Real Madrid for 46£ million and van Ginkel to City for 52£ million. My biggest sales ever for Chelsea. My biggest purchase have been Marquinhos from PSG for 32.5£ million ahead of the second season. He might become the best defender on my save.

Chalobah and Boga are developing very nicely as well.

Haha I love that!

Bracken, I really like the updates to the OP. Keep it up!

Cheers guys, young defenders are up now as well, CM's coming later today, trying to get this finished ASAP but work's been crazy as well as moving house etc. It'll get there I swear!

Really great guide so far Bracken, cant wait for this to be finished :) I'm struggling at the moment to find a nice tactic. It's been very on-off, for example, I beat Kobenhavn 9-0 in the CL, and next game lost 4-0 to Sunderland. Any help would be appreciated from anyone :)
Just finished the 2026/27 season with 96 points but came 2nd to Mourinho's Man City with 99 which ends my run of 4 consecutive league titles. To make matters worse they then beat me 1-0 in the Champions League final after i went down to 10 men after half an hour and had my captain go off injured :(

That's about the harshest I've heard, really unlucky there mate, hopefully you can get your own back on them next year!

Just had one of my favourite bits of news in FM. In summer 2018, after our third (and my second) CL win...

aky8.png

Would've preferred Bracken Park but I'll take it :cool:

I won't bore you all with a long post about my transfer dealings, but taking over Chelsea does offer you a ton of options heading into the second season with your wage bill if you play your cards right.

On top of several other transfers (all of our aging high earners etc), I was able to off load Ba and Torres as well after the first season...making several world class signings totally possible. And what do

you know deep into the World Cup both Suarez and Rooney declared their intention to leave their respective clubs, and while I might have over paid for Rooney ($49 Million over 48 monthly payments), I was able to secure them heading into 2014/15 EPL season.

It looks very very odd to see those two on Chelsea (I've only landed one or the other after being washed up for the most part), and frankly I don't even know how to play them together....But damn, isn't that the beauty of this game? Wouldn't that be an amazing problem for Jose to figure out in real life?

Signed Aguero from City for 23,5£ million after he became transfer listed in December 2015. I plan to use him as a trequartista in the central attacking midfield position. Oscar is the one that will have to make way because I simply cannot get him to perform. His stats are immense, but he's not performing good enough. Have any of you had any luck with him?

Posted this over at the Chelsea thread in the Football forum but I thought you guys might enjoy it as well:

Just played a CL final game using Bayern Munich vs. Chelsea. Heavy favorites to win since the Chelsea squad, aside from a few players, weren't really all that good at the moment and both their CB pairings were carrying knocks.

Set out in an attacking 4-2-3-1 and faced a 4-2-3-1 as well, though mine was slightly wider with wingers/IFs cutting in when needed while they actually fielded a wing back on the left wing, for extra defense or something, I don't know.

Here are the stats:

Bayern Munich Chelsea

Goals scored 1 1

Total shots 35 9

Shots on target 7 3

Ball possession 56% 44%

Corner kicks 20 1

Fouls committed 14 26

Offsides 1 2

Yellow cards 1 4

Red cards 0 0

Didn't really score as much as my domination would have indicated, their GK was unplayable, managed to score in the 83rd minute from a header. Subbed the scorer off soon after since he was knackered.

Then, lo and behold, they scored from their one and only corner of the game. Had a PK during extra time that was saved after my BEST penalty taker fluffed the shot as well.

Of course, I then lost 3-4 on penalties.

I don't know, it just seemed like it was Written in the Stars for me to lose...

Any guesses what game I'm describing?

How are everybody dealing with players like Loftus-Cheek, Conroy and Colkett. I am in 2016 now and they are starting to impress, regulars in the England U21 team, with Loftus-Cheek pushing for a game in the full squad. Can't wait for this guide to be finished Bracken, keep up the good work :p

Really struggling to get any striker to score goals. Just finished my 2nd season and my top scorer was Balanta and Mata on 13 each, my main striker was Lukaku, who managed an amazing 3 goals in 30 games. I have tried many formations all with 1 upfront but no matter what instructions I give, the big man never fires. Finished 3rd and Won the League Cup, really think I would have won more if I could just get my striker to score!

Any suggestions for a 5* striker, currently looking at Balotelli.

My 3rd season will be better as my young guns, Barkley, Shaw, Van Ginkle integrate with the squad. Just bought Matic had to be done, was a bit pricey at £25 million!

I play my formation with a poacher up front, two IFs cutting inside for support and CWBs bombing up and down the wings.

I do recommend lots of pace, but I've found that Lukaku scores quite a few when he's just poking in the simple finishes.

Gotten into my Chelsea save once again. I'm at the start of the 3rd season, and I've decided that in the coming years, I'll look to buy English talent, instead of cheap foreign talent. Thought it would be a fun challenge to have a full starting XI of English players. Of course I won't completely stop buying foreign talent if the player is unreal, but I'll mainly be looking for Englishmen. Has anyone tried to do the same or sat other challenges for themselves?

rGade, its quite a fun idea, but it means that you need to be able to lure prospects from United, Arsenal etc which can be difficult without the reputation. Start by building a mainly English team (Wilshere, Hughes) and then work down. I have found that Loftus-Cheek is turning into a brilliant backup to Pogba in my game.

rGade, its quite a fun idea, but it means that you need to be able to lure prospects from United, Arsenal etc which can be difficult without the reputation. Start by building a mainly English team (Wilshere, Hughes) and then work down. I have found that Loftus-Cheek is turning into a brilliant backup to Pogba in my game.

That's what I'll be doing, though Arsenal want £70M for Wilshere. I have quite a bit of English players (Not regens) already shortlisted, so I can potentially buy them in the near future. It's not that I don't have some cash to splash, but I'd prefer it if I could not spend £50M+ on the English players who are already in the game. You are certainly right about how tough it is to lure regens from the top clubs of England, but sometimes it is do-able, and with good scouts you can even find Championship teams whose regens have great potential.

I've already bought Luke Shaw, who is averaging 7.34 in 12 league games this season. Lampard is still a regular first teamer, with Nathaniel Chalobah covering for him and in general featuring quite often with his 5* potential. It seems Ryan Bertrand wants out, which saddens me as he's a great back up. Been looking at Ward-Prowse who is very eager to join my club after a lot of time spent unsettling him, but since I have Chalobah to cover at CM for Lampard, I'm not sure I would have any use for him. I'm not sure if he's the type of player who could cover for Lars Bender at BWM(d)? Would like some thoughts on JWP playing as a BWM(d). I've seen some other posts of people having succes using him in that role, but I'm not convinced by his stats for that particular role.

I've had some luck with great talent coming through my academy. Robert Reynolds, an Irish player who have come through my own youth system, and will soon join the first team squad.

Gerry Bailey is another youth prospect from my own academy. Featuring regularly for the England U21's he'll soon be playing full time in the first team, just waiting for Terry to stop performing (still doing well in late 2015).

Last but not least, Joe Screen, brought in for £11M from Aston Villa, he was quite expensive at age 16, but I had no money problems and he had 5* potential, so I thought why not? - as of right now he is beasting it for the England U21's having scored 8 goals in 7 games from AML.

Has anybody managed to buy Luke Shaw for anything less than £25,000,000??

May have to look elsewhere if they aren't willing to negotiate.

He's worth every penny. Especially since you're Chelsea, you shouldn't have money problems. I bought him in my save, and at 20 years of age, he has played 30 out of 31 league games this season, averaging 7.34.

He's English and can be your starting left back for the next 10+ years.

He's worth every penny. Especially since you're Chelsea, you shouldn't have money problems. I bought him in my save, and at 20 years of age, he has played 30 out of 31 league games this season, averaging 7.34.

He's English and can be your starting left back for the next 10+ years.

I have no doubts that he will prove to be worth that figure, I'm just trying to go down a different route with regards to paying high transfer fees.

Do you still have Ashley Cole or Ryan Bertrand and have you given Cristian Cuevas an opportunity??

I have no doubts that he will prove to be worth that figure, I'm just trying to go down a different route with regards to paying high transfer fees.

Do you still have Ashley Cole or Ryan Bertrand and have you given Cristian Cuevas an opportunity??

Can't remember if I've offloaded Cuevas or I'm about to, but no I haven't found any use of him. As for Ashley Cole I let his contract run out as he averaged 6.91 the first season and wanted a huge raise.

Bertrand has become unhappy and has handed in several transfer requests. He's not happy at the club being used as a back-up, but he's such a good back-up, and he's homegrown too.

I haven't found a decent replacement for Bertrand yet, so for now, he's still a Chelsea player.

I'm looking forward to seeing your season update.

Any chance of posting a screenshot of your tactic??

I wasn't really planning on writing up a season update this season, so I just went ahead and rolled on, so some of the screenshots I needed for a season update are gone, but I guess I can put a small one up this time, and then a proper one after next season.

The tactic (Open in a new tab if you need it enlarged):

xb2UDxr.png

Will begin to write up the season summary soon.

Chelsea Football Club - 2015/2016

Premier League | Capital One Cup | FA Cup | Champions League| Community Shield

Premier League

Almost unbeaten. Took until the very last match day for a club to get the better of my team, and surprisingly it was the new boys in town, Nottingham Forest, who at their home stadium defeated us 3-0.

Overall a highly satisfying season, finishing on 97 points with the least goals conceded and most goals scored. Not much to say really, a solid defence kept us on a streak.

Capital One Cup

The youths and the reserves got to play this cup, except Schürrle who after not performing and falling out with me played every game until the final, where he was completely dropped out of the squad, and in came Hazard.

Bringing in Hazard proved the right choice as he scored 2 and assisted the other 2 goals in a 4-1 win over Norwich. A nice trophy to win, but not one that means the world to me.

FA Cup

Before the implementation of my new tactic, and as you can see an embarrassing 5-1 loss to Cardiff City saw us out of the tournament very early.

The youths and reserves also played this cup, but that's no excuse for a 5-1 loss. Dreadful cup run.

Champions League

A fairly easy group containing AS Monaco (Who'd go on to win Ligue 1 on same amount of points as PSG), the dutch PSV and Ukrainian Shaktar Donetsk. I strolled through the group, but did mess up the one game against PSV.

Then the draw for the first knock-out round saw me against FC Barcelona, who I thought would prove the end of my Champions League run this year, but without Messi at Camp Nou I won the game fairly easy 3-1, and was never really worried about the return at Stamford Bridge.

Next up: Real Madrid. An expected 2-0 win at home, gave us an advantage in the return at Bernabeu, despite loads of shots from Madrid (with Cristiano Ronaldo missing a few sitters) we managed a 2-1 win, to reach the semi's.

We then faced Juventus, who never really managed to threaten us, and without conceding a goal against them, we won fairly comfortable, 2-0 on aggregate.

The other contender for the trophy was PSG, who had just defeated Manchester United pretty convincingly with a Cavani in great form. I was a bit worried, and the game proved to be very equal, but we took our chances and managed a 3-1 win to secure the trophy. Not a convincing win, despite the score line, but a win is a win!

Community Shield

Not really much to say, it was on of the first games of the season, and was played with my previous tactic, which was probably the reason I needed penalties to secure the trophy vs Norwich.

Transfers

As you can see, loads of nobody's went out on loan or on a free.

Mitrovic went back on loan at Anderlecht, Grenier wasn't needed after all and thus went to AC Milan on loan for the season. Balanta also didn't play much of a role, as he was sold for £23M in January. After 5 games, he had started 2 and was already complaining about playing time, so he was frozen out and sold straight away. Lars Bender proved a key buy in my season, as I needed someone with a lot more quality than Mikel, and he delivered exactly what I needed, so £25M well spent!

Cerri came in on loan, as I did not notice that when I bought Mitrovic I had agreed to have him loaned back straight away (Silly mistake, I know), so I just needed a back-up striker on loan, and the choice fell on Cerri.

Thibaut Courtois loaned to Barcelona for regular playing time as Cech was my 1st choice keeper, and Courtois was too good for the bench.

Lewandowski was very inconsistent for me, so he only spent 1 season at the Bridge, before he was sold to Man City.

The Squad

The squad didn't look exactly like this yet. I wasn't planning on making a season update this season, so this is a squad after some transfers.

Players who are missing: Schürrle, David Luiz, Kevin De Bruyne and Sami Khedira.

Players were not there: Will Hughes, Valon Behrami, Iker Muniain, Thibaut Courtois, Joe Screen, Gerry Bailey, Alexander Mitrovic and Robert Reynolds.

Amazingly John Terry, at 35 years of age, fought his way back into the side putting David Luiz on the bench. John Terry hadn't played well

in my previous tactics, but for this season I changed the tactic, which allowed him to rejoin the side, and even be a key player in a succesful season at the Bridge.

Frank Lampard is still the starting CM, mainly because I love the man in real life, but he still does the job even at 38 years of age.

Quite a young side I had, with just 3 players above 30 years of age, but filled with world stars, they won their fair share of silverware this season!

Key Players

John Terry - Amazingly found himself in the starting line-up regularly for the first time in a few years, and it was a task he was up for, even at the age of 35!

Eliaquim Mangala - My FM13 and FM14 go-to CB, no matter who I manage. Always performs and protects the back like a hero. Huge reason why I did so well this season.

Lars Bender - Bossed the midfield. I cannot count the amount of times he intercepted the ball and started a counterattack that resulted in a goal. Truly a key player for the season, despite his "low" average rating of 7.05.

Eden Hazard - Had problems getting him to perform in the previous seasons, but with a tactics change he became the best player in the squad. Even won European Footballer of the Year ahead of Ronaldo and Mata.

Romelu Lukaku - Started the season off slowly grabbing 4 goals in the first 12 league games, but he started really performing towards the end of the season, and managed to outperform Lewandowski from the previous season.

The Future

Joe Screen - A talented young winger, came in for £11M from Aston Villa a year ago. Quite a lot for a 16 year old, but worth it in the long run. Will eventually be 1st choice AML.

Gerry Bailey - The new club man. I already have huge plans for this lad, who came through our own academy. Already decided that he is to be the new captain once Frank Lampard and John Terry call it a quits!

Robert Reynolds - Also a product of our own academy, the future striker for the Blues. Will spend this season as back-up/super sub so he can develop. He demanded a huge contract, but I gave it to him, as I need him for my future goals with Chelsea (Will explain more)

Jordan Kavanagh - Just came through our own academy, and while his stats aren't mindblowing, he has potential and will be our DR in the future.

Goals

In the future I will mainly be focusing on making Chelsea's squad consist of English players and players from our own academy.

This is why I was willing to fork out £11M on Joe Screen, and why I let Robert Reynolds get his way with the huge contract for such a young lad.

I'll look to grab talents off of the other English clubs' youth squads if I can persuade them and if they are good enough, in hopes of having an almost entirely English first team squad in the future.

Fantastic season and almost a clean sweep!! It's good to see a 4-2-3-1 tactic that's working well.

Great money made in the transfer market, but a little surprised you've loaned out Thibaut Courtois. Would've thought he was a starter ahead of Petr Cech by now??

Good to see some solid prospects coming through the academy too.

Fantastic season and almost a clean sweep!! It's good to see a 4-2-3-1 tactic that's working well.

Great money made in the transfer market, but a little surprised you've loaned out Thibaut Courtois. Would've thought he was a starter ahead of Petr Cech by now??

Good to see some solid prospects coming through the academy too.

Yea I have a bit of a dilemma with the goalkeepers at the moment. Courtois obviously spent the first season at Atletico performing well, and then I had a problem. To drop Cech (who wasn't amazing in goal) or to send Courtois out on loan again. I decided that my IRL love for Cech would mean Courtois, even though I like him a lot too, would go out on loan, so out he went to Barcelona as a key player, and has played 30+ games for Barcelona in both seasons. So for me that was a nice solution.

For the coming season, I'm really struggling to decide who I want to keep. Cech is now 34, which isn't too old for a goalkeeper, but Courtois could already start, and is rated at 4.5* CA whereas Cech is 4* CA. I think I'll rotate the two every other game, so they both play very regularly. I don't think I can bring myself to sell Cech, as I simply like him too much in real life haha

Yea I have a bit of a dilemma with the goalkeepers at the moment. Courtois obviously spent the first season at Atletico performing well, and then I had a problem. To drop Cech (who wasn't amazing in goal) or to send Courtois out on loan again. I decided that my IRL love for Cech would mean Courtois, even though I like him a lot too, would go out on loan, so out he went to Barcelona as a key player, and has played 30+ games for Barcelona in both seasons. So for me that was a nice solution.

For the coming season, I'm really struggling to decide who I want to keep. Cech is now 34, which isn't too old for a goalkeeper, but Courtois could already start, and is rated at 4.5* CA whereas Cech is 4* CA. I think I'll rotate the two every other game, so they both play very regularly. I don't think I can bring myself to sell Cech, as I simply like him too much in real life haha

I would definitely make Thibaut Courtois number one, then use Petr Cech for the FA Cup and Capital One Cup games.

It's time to drop the Czech, the Belgian is more than ready!!

How is the academy looking these days?? Have you been using the likes of Jeremie Boga and Charly Musonda??

I would definitely make Thibaut Courtois number one, then use Petr Cech for the FA Cup and Capital One Cup games.

It's time to drop the Czech, the Belgian is more than ready!!

How is the academy looking these days?? Have you been using the likes of Jeremie Boga and Charly Musonda??

Musonda was sold as I won't have any use of him. Once Lampard calls it quits, Chalobah will just take over the CM spot, and by that time I'll probably have a new English CM talent.

Jeremie Boga has been sent to Vitesse. He looks alright, but doesn't look to become good enough for a starting spot in my side. Besides, he's French, so won't really fit into my future Chelsea team.

Change of plans. Robert Reynolds will not be my reserve striker for this season. Ibrahimovic just became available on a free and agreed to £55k a week, so he'll come in as a rotating striker with Lukaku. Couldn't resist such a legend! Even though Robert Reynolds won't paly for the first team now, he'll now have a tutor. I didn't have an old enough striker who could tutor him, but now that Ibra is here, he'll be his tutor!

Just had an £83M bid for Wilshere rejected. Can't seem to lure him away. He says he's interested in joining my club, but I can't get him to hand in a transfer request. Oh well, the unsettleing continues

Archived