Sports Interactive Community

Hi all,

This is more of a general FM question rather than one that is specifically on FM14:

We know that FM (of recent years, as well as FM14) has about 300,000 players in total in its database.

a). So when you start your game, do you load all 300,000 players (if your system is able to support it)?

b). If not, what is the maximum number of players you would load?

c). Do you find the game to be 'less authentic' when you have, say, 50,000 players loaded instead of 100,000?

A) Wouldn't bother loading more than 10 different countries unless my computer was upgraded like crazy.

B) Around 50,000 to 75,000 at the start, trust me this number increases like mad once regens start flooding the game.

C) Probably miss out on a few gems from obscure nations/leagues, but I can live with that. Processing speed to get through seasons is more important for me.

Has anyone on this forum loaded all 300,000 players? Apart from slowing down the processing speed of your game, do you find it intriguing to browse through the many clubs and players that you have never heard of before?

I go the middle route.. around 120-130k players...

But I pick and choose.. it isn't the number that's important for me. It's a case of getting the right balance of players I'm interested in as I'm a bit of a talent scout, rather than a manager.

a) yes, and its slow as hell, because apparently its too much hassle to develop for top end systems

b) as many as you can get away with without going below 2 stars is the point before which it starts to crawl

c) definitely. I hate playing something and not getting the full experience

I only ever manage one team in one league, 30k players is more than enough.

Hi mates,

A noob question here. Loading huge number of players from the database and game speeds. What determines it; processor, RAM or dedicated graphic card cache..?

I'm asking this because I've loaded more than 100k of players and my Game Speeds Star Rating is i.5 stars. However, it seems that the speed is fine. So right now i'm kind of confuse. Given a chance, i'd like to load 300k of players.

By the way, i'm running on i7-4700MQ, 8GB RAM and GTX765M 2GB graphics.

Star ratings are often not to be trusted. Similar things have been said of the recommended player count but I always feel bad when the number of players goes red.

On FM2011, I could load about 125,000 until the month before FM2012 was released when it randomly went down to 75,000. FM2012 was 125,000 again, so that was what I loaded for my main saves because you surely have to want the biggest possible database. I never played FM2013 and I haven't tried to max out 2014 yet. One day I'm going to see what my brother's high-spec gaming PC can do with FM

Has anyone loaded more players than the maximum recommended by your system (e.g. Your computer recommends loading up to 80,000 players, but you loaded 100,000)? If yes, does your game crash more frequently, or the only impact is slower game speed?

Also, not sure if this question has been asked before - how do you check how many players are in your game at any point in time (e.g. You are 5 years into your game and found that your database has increased from the original 50,000 players to 58,200 players)? Is it possible to do so?

It is only a recommendation Soccer.. but one you should probably heed if you are playing a long term game.

The issues come when as the seasons roll by, crashes are much more likely also.

There's a thread on here somewhere about the best way to set the game up, the poster suggests having a few countries running then tick "players from top clubs" in all continents . It works out well, I am at work at mo on the dog but can post a link up when I get home.

There's a thread on here somewhere about the best way to set the game up, the poster suggests having a few countries running then tick "players from top clubs" in all continents . It works out well, I am at work at mo on the dog but can post a link up when I get home.

Interested to read that link :)

When I start a new save I generally have all leagues playable in the following countries: England, Germany, Italy, Spain, France, Netherlands, Russia, Portugal, Turkey, Belgium, Argentina and Brazil. Then as I move up the ladder I gradually remove the lower leagues in each country, until I'm left with just the top divsions. This gives me 75,000 players to start with, and normally leads to 150,000-200,000 players by the time I retire in 40 seasons or so. Works well for me and my PC.

Interested to read that link :)

I too would also like to see this as normally I can only run around 30,000-50,000 players in 3/4 leagues.

i always load all players. it's actually more than 300k players. until my most recent save i would load all nations and all players. but i realised that it might improve performance if i load just england and do a custom database to add in all players. it does make a significant improvement because the results and divisions in far away lands are no longer being calculated.

i should also mention that only choosing england has no impact on availability of players and staff and you will be able to get every possible individual with only england loaded using the max players custom datebase.

I would love to see that thread again

I'm using 308000 thing specially I load 208 league (out of the box plus best possible /without cheat players or unrealistic money/ edited leagues) I used that setup for FM13 but not all leagues yet ready for FM14 so I setup a game usual 51-117- All players nationality by continent (Asia, Africa, Europe, N. America, S. America, Oceania) it makes 308000...

Also in first few months there will be many retirement and you have not to worry about player boom...

I would love that SI games finally uses their database to it's full potential. There is 300,000, why not use them?

Because for most people, the game would be absolute torture to play? It's nothing to do with SI, when you have a database that size, it is going to be slow. You can optimise it, but it's not a case of SI not being bothered about making it quicker - there's going to be a limit of what they can do when you add that many players and leagues.