FM14: The Skrill Premier, North & South thread

CityAndColour

• Replies 751
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest El Payaso
Impressive end to the season El Payaso - mind posting your tactic?
Thanks, that really was the best run of form for me in this version. It's quite basic 4-4-1-1 with central defenders (defend), full-backs on support, attacking wingers that will cross to far post, in midfield central midfield in defence duty and DLP with support, in front of them Advanced playmaker support and Target man attack. Shouts really depend on how your team is like, this is a formation that can be used as an attacking tactic or defensive/counter attacking. I mainly play with short passing and possession, if it looks like I'm not in control, I will make it more direct.

With my contract mistakes, I might still be able to build up a decent team. It's almost ready as I got Dominic Iorfa back to my defence. It's just a shame that I'm really not able to sell anyone even for free.

Guest El Payaso

I don't know whether I should continue this here or in the Football league-topic but as we were a Skrill team at the beginning I'll do it here...

52b05e4062b6e.jpg

Managed to salvage something in the summer. Quite happy with the team currently especially because I now have good amount of players that can really play in next level also if they reach their potential. With these kinds of players I don't have to do so much in the summer in terms of signing players and can really direct the money I have to other things. Got many full-time contracts done and I'm still waiting for my coaches to start negoriating for full-times too...

52b15f6179d72.jpg

Got a real shock treatment in the first game of the season as we were attacking too bravely. Managed to keep up with Port Vale some time but after they took the control, we were just way too soft in defending.

Against Shrewbury we played with our back-ups and managed to keep up with higher division team until 82nd minute to concede from a corner. Not too worried about that.

After that we've been dominant at our games. Even though we lost Rico Neal for three weeks at the start of the Crawley-game we've had enough quality to win the games. Lee Croft is living a new spring in his career, it's such a shame that he's declining so quickly even though he's only 32-years old. He's summed 1+4 in the first 5 games. Christian Hill has also been good in the left flank and he's scored 2 goals and had one assist. Terry Johnson instead has been both a surprise and brilliant goalscorer, I would never have guessed that this guy will be my number one, but he certainly is. Also has a good potential and could really make it in the higher levels also.

It's not looking too bad in the table:

52b15f618b6a8.jpg

If we keep up like this untill december where the mid season slump will once again hit us, we're going to stay up this season.

Keep posting here for sure!

Anyway I'm not going to do a season update for my second season in League Two as my frustrations with 14.1.4 reached absolute boiling point, but we crashed out of the playoffs after being in the auto spots for most of the season, and Voss scored 37 goals.

Was going to overhaul everything tactically but will give things a bash on 14.2 before making any drastic changes.

dgs4fd.jpg

Managed to get him on a new three year contract too - his personality of "fairly loyal" helps, as he has me and the club as favoured. His agent wouldn't negotiate without a "match highest earner" clause but I was okay with this given my team is built around him.

Also, the Havant youth system continues to shine...

hx3ek3.jpg

Brett Gill is off to Championship side Wycombe for £10K up front, £18K over 18 months and 20% of any future profit.

So I am glad I stuck out with my current tactical set up, as 14.2 seems to have introduced a fair bit more defensive stability than 14.1.4. It seems I can go back to playing control/fluid and employ 'hassle opponents' without needing to drop my defensive line deeper.

Again managed to scrounge together a competitive squad despite a dwindling budget, including Dan Holman and Kallum Higginbotham in attack and Lee Hills, Chris Stokes and Glenn Belezika defensively.

Also managed to grab a couple of promising-looking newgens...

2pqntk6.jpg

I found this guy unattached in the Latvian u21s who has slotted in beautifully partnering Voss up front, with the pair combining for seven goals in the first five league matches.

I also smashed the club's transfer record to sign this guy from relegated Bury...

14kgos4.jpg

The deal was £40K up front, £60K over 48 months and a sell on clause, and he looks like he could hold down the right wingback spot for the next decade.

Guest El Payaso
Keep posting here for sure!

Well it is a new game with the new update. This time with Boreham Wood FC and with LLM rules. Some great tutors there especially in the defence.

52b281f38cb59.jpg

My scouts found me a decent bunch of players with good amount of potential and I signed loads of them. My aim is to get to League-2 as quick as possible and then trying to gain from full-time training and improve our facilities so that we can produce our own talents. It's gonna be a long project.

52b2f0802461f.jpg

First month was a really good one. Even though we were in trouble with our finishing. Luckily we were able to get three points from every game. It seems that Sturrock continues his tradition of not scoring goals; guy has 293 league appearances in his career and 40 league goals. He was a perfect addition to my tactical system though and really playing well and creating chances for others. He managed to get us that penalty against Hayes and against Staines he was through on goal and the opposition's centre back fouled him and got a red card, Noto netted the free-kick and we were on our way to victory.

52b2f080293fb.jpg

Guest El Payaso
I became strangely attached to Mario Noto, particularly as a tutor - good choice!
Yeah, with LLM-rules tutoring takes even bigger part of the game and I've got loads of good tutors in the first-team. Youth team is now also full of good prospects, so there's really a job for every tutor for the whole season. Luckily they have fixed the tutoring bug now. Managed to get Gary Hart also.
I think Boreham's top 5-6 players are the best in the division.
Might be true; Matt Ball, Whichelow, O'Loughin, Montgomery, Noto and Cox are all quality to me. Cox especially seems to be a great one and with this new update he is really making a better job than he didn't do in my Boston. With that kind of tenacious player I really do expect that they are aggressive and make those interceptions and dispossessions which primarily is their role.

Even though having good quality the squad was and still is really narrow and injuries are really making it hard to line up a team to every game. :D I'm currently missing Jones, Reynolds, Bentley, Morgan, Hart and Whichelow through injuries... Luckily I give my players rest days and had a bit of edge with that in those two games that had only one day between them. I think that if you look at the full squads, atleast Eastleigh and Ebbsfleet should be better than we are. Haven't really scouted the other teams yet.

Anyone else finding the game near enough unplayable with the latest patch? My tactics - which, let's not forget, have earned me 2 straight title wins and now have me sat at the top of League 2 in my 3rd season - suddenly don't work.

It's not just mine though, all of a sudden the AI's tactics don't work either. Literally 100% of goals scored and conceded are from set pieces now. Open play is utterly worthless. I'm still averaging around 60% possession but my team does nothing with it until I get a corner. Likewise it doesn't matter if the opposition have 5% possession - as long as they can get a corner, they will score. Every damn time.

I'd like to say I've progressed since my last update but I'm finding the game difficult to get on with at the moment. FM14 was going so much better than FM13 for me (I gave up on 13 without ever finishing a season) but the match engine now feels like it's in the exact same state it was a year ago when I gave up on 13.

Why do they change so much with every update!?

EDIT: I've just discovered it switched around the player instructions for half my team. I've changed it now, hopefully it'll make a difference but I've lost most of my tactical familiarity. So frustrating, why can't they just release a finished and functional game every 2 years instead of a broken one every 1?

EDIT2: First match after re-setting my player instructions - 5 minutes in and Aaron Spear scored a beauty from open play after lovely build-up. I wonder how many results I've lost through not realising about the player instructions.

EDIT3: Match finished 2-2 at home to Colchester. Spear scored after 5, they equalised after about 15, Spear scored again from (surprise surprise) a corner on 18, then I substituted Blanchard who was a foul away from a second booking after 48 for Sokouna, who promptly got 2 yellow himself. They then equalised as soon as I went down to ten men from - you f*%&king guessed it - a corner on 85 mins. I'm still 6 points clear at the top with a game in hand but I'm struggling to understand why my previously successful tactic has been utterly neutered overnight.

Halfway through another season, and we're again keeping in touch with the playoffs in what is a very congested table...

24y62vt.jpg

Just about tolerating the 14.2 match engine, which for me is just a highlight loop of comical own goals, bizarre 'keeper behaviour, corners, poor first touch and injuries, but we're still grinding out results.

Unfortunately I don't see how we're going to progress without a takeover, as we're bleeding money every month thanks to this stadium loan, the wage bill decreases every season and our reputation is still not good enough to get the best youngsters. Really the only thing that's keeping me interested in the fact we have six youth team products in our first team squad, and I love following their careers.

We've also managed to get an FA Cup third round tie at Carrow Road against Championship side Norwich, which will hopefully attract a decent crowd.

Just about tolerating the 14.2 match engine, which for me is just a highlight loop of comical own goals, bizarre 'keeper behaviour, corners, poor first touch and injuries

Sounds about right. Since I started playing again post-14.2, by my count I've conceded 7 goals in 6 games, which is ok. And I've scored 13, which is pretty good.

However of those 20 goals, 7 have been set pieces scored by me, and 4 have been set pieces scored by them. At the moment, a corner is basically as profitable as a penalty, which is absurd. Every time I'm a goal ahead the opposition get a corner, and with absolutely no hyperbole, 90% of the time it's a goal. So frustrating since it was working fine before.

I should also mention that of the other 3 goals I've conceded, 2 were direct results of ridiculous "errors" on the part of my defenders. And when I say "errors" I mean the ball was crossed in and bounced off my player who was looking the wrong way straight into the path of the striker. Also very frustrating.

Not enjoying my save at the moment although I'm still clear at the top. It just feels constantly cheap when nearly every set piece leads to a goal.

EDIT: As I type this I've just scored from another corner.

Guest El Payaso

I'm actually really enjoying the match engine in these lower leagues. It's the first time in the FM-history when you really can see lower league players not that good at controlling the ball. Also I've seen my first good through balls since... long time. Ball has given to fantastic assists from deep with lifting the ball above defense line and a pacey winger sprinting away, just brilliant to watch. Haven't really seen anything odd so far... 5 games and 1 corner goal and zero keeper mistake. And the most satisfying thing is that wingers really aren't dominating the game with their dribbling, haven't seen any long dribbles with this new patch. (okay, did see loads of them in Bayern- Chelsea super-cup game but in lower leagues, it's just fine now)

Well, despite all my tactical woes this season, crazily enough we're still within a shot of automatic promotion with six matches to go, and also a big chance to miss the playoffs entirely...

2637j1v.jpg

I've switched to a flat midfield three, which seems to have solidified us a bit defensively, while still allowing Scott to make his late runs into the box (which produce a lot of goals).

16bkgwg.jpg

Voss and loanee Shemroy Cort have both been sensational up front too in a big man/little man combination.

2h5tzkp.jpg

I think this is the first time in four seasons I haven't had the leading yellow cardee too.

I figured I might as well ask in here and the Football League Thread. Anyway, gone back to my Eastleigh save after a month without playing it. We're top of the Skrill Premier after 18 games and are comfortably top as well. Port Vale have just come knocking and offered me an interview with £150k transfer budget & £40k in wage budget. It's a massive budget for that level and £20k extra in wages. Port Vale on 10th in League Two having been relegated and have just sacked Cotterill after 5 months. What would everyone do?

Four wins on the trot since the last update, and some results going our way, have us needing only a point from our final two matches to seal 3rd spot and the unlikeliest of promotions. Our two remaining fixtures are against Swindon (4th) and Northampton (8th), both at home.

Swindon can still overtake us and Northampton are still in the playoff race (with the second best GD in the league) so neither will be easy.

169midw.jpg

A comfortable home point against Swindon does the trick, and a third promotion in eight seasons is secured, despite sitting 18th with nearly half the season gone. A switch to a flat three in midfield seemed to make all the difference, as we went 6-4-0 after changing the formation and took advantage of a congested top half of the table to surge clear.

I'll post a full season review after Christmas Day, and to all reading this thread I hope you have a wonderful and safe holiday period. I'm certainly going to enjoy mine now!

Guest El Payaso

52bac76ea3216.jpg

I'm already reached year 2014, had a bit of rush in terms of games in december. Cup games are over for this season although we really did put up a decent performance against Gillingham:

52bac76e7bcdd.jpg

Three goals from set pieces and they did nothing from open play, shame. We would have meat Ipswich next round at home. Against Luton we were really really poor cause it was like facing a super team...

52bac76ea7c30.jpg

A few games in hand and already managed to take the place at the top as Weston-super-Mare and Bath drew in new years day and we won.

52bac76e9d7e4.jpg

My key-man so far. I was patient at the start of the season and it paid of as my scouts really found me a good keeper for years. Should become a good keeper for League-1 side.

2020/21 review - Havant & Waterlooville - League Two

1112.png

League table

Graph

Squad

Transfers (1)(2)

Promotion certainly didn't seem on the cards at the start of the season when the board again cut the wage budget, and it certainly wasn't on the cards when we sat 18th in November. But the league remained tight throughout, meaning a few good results could catapult a team right up the table, and we took advantage of this with a strong end to the season.

We also lost a third round tie at Championship side Norwich in the FA Cup, who went on to win the competition.

---

Key players

Shemroy Cort - Our Huddersfield loanee was a revelation, bagging 29 goals in all competitions and finishing equal runner-up in the league golden boot.

Dominic Voss - The big man didn't provide the same goal return as last season, but he instead provided 20 assists and again made the league team of the season. Became an icon of the club too.

Phil Scott - Another strong season from the youth graduate, again reaching double figures in goals and assists from midfield.

Tim Surey - He was the only non-attacking player to achieve an average rating of 7+, and is firmly entrenched as our best defender. On performance he is the best player the academy has produced.

Andrejs Sergejevs - 16 goals was a good debut return for the Latvian, who turned himself into a bit of a super sub after Cort's emergence in the starting XI.

---

Retiring from football is Tom Soares, who joined us on a free in the 2016/17 season, and ended up making 187 appearances, captaining the club for the three seasons we spent in League Two.

Not sure why but was really tempted to start a new game with Woking. I'm going to keep my Havant game on the side but take a little break from it.

The Cards start with a reasonable squad in terms of defenders and midfielders, but they don't have much up front at all. Accordingly, my two main attacking signings were Andy Brown on loan from Nuneaton and Jamie Darvill on a free, to try and create the target man/advanced forward strike pairing that worked so well for me at Havant. I will also use wide players Anthony McNamee and Kevin Betsy as depth up front.

In midfield I grabbed a real coup in former Cardiff and Wales u21 midfielder Aaron Morris on a free, who my coaches say could be a good L1 player. He can also play in central defence but I will use him as a DLP due to his attributes (14 passing, 13 decisions, 11 positioning and 12 composure). I also signed Namibian international Oliver Risser and handed him the captaincy.

Defensively my best player started at the club, in 23-year-old Jack Parkinson. I also signed veteran 'keeper Michel Kuipers to give me a season between the sticks while I hunt for a long term replacement. Unfortunately my second best defender, Mike Nestor, broke his leg in a friendly.

The board want mid-table and I'm not aiming for anything higher than that. We created six clear cut chances in a barnstorming 5-2 home win over Lincoln to kick off the season, with my new strike pair grabbing a brace each and the standard 'keeper own goal.

Righto, bit late but here's my review for the 3rd season of my Stockport save.

After my last few grumpy posts about how I wasn't getting on with the new match engine I tweaked my tactics a little and ended up having a successful end to the season, only dropping a few points and winning the league at a canter. My 3rd league win in a row!

Star players for the season were as follows:

Aaron McCarey: Ever-present, and easily the best keeper in the league, he kept a huge number of clean sheets and gave us an incredibly solid defence. You'll see from the league table above that we were nowhere near the top scorers in the league, but we conceded the fewest goals by a country mile. McCarey was the principal reason behind our defensive parsimony.

Jack Parkinson: Captain and ever-present barring one suspension for 5 yellows. Solid as a rock, popped up with a few goals and averaged above 7. Solid and professional as you could ask for.

Sam Morsy: I bemoaned my lack of a top quality midfield in my last few updates. Then I signed Morsy in January and all my complaints evaporated. Sublime in a box-to-box role, he transformed my style of play.

Elliot Durrell: Who else? Player of the season for the 3rd year in a row, he's now made 141 appearances for Stockport - none of which have been in his natural position - and he's produced 77 assists. A phenomenal player, although I do question whether League 1 might just be a step too far for my talisman.

Honourable mentions go to Tom Elliott who top scored with 15 league goals (I had a good spread throughout the team) and Dominic Gape who did a good job on loan for a few months. I also managed to snap up Tom Pope on loan for 6 months and I've signed him permanently over the summer. He's an excellent player in his own right - 9 goals in 15 games on loan - and will prove a good tutor with his 16 Determination stat.

I've managed to find a few promising youngsters too. Top of my list of development priorities are the following three young Irish lads:

Robert O'Brien: Clearly backup to McCarey for now, but this lad has decent Premiership potential. Had a couple of successful short-term loans last season and I'll be looking to get him plenty of game time this year, although I can't really afford to loan him out since I only have 2 keepers on my books.

Aidan Kelly: I'm looking for this lad to hold down the Support striker role for a while. He looks like a decent all-rounder and has had a phenomenal pre-season, scoring 12 goals and setting up 9 in 11 games. Being tutored by Tom Pope.

Damien McClements: This kid looks like the real deal. My assistant Charles Akonnor says he can be a decent Premier League striker; I signed up James Keene specifically to develop McClements' mental stats. Scored a few good goals towards the tail end of the League 2 season and I want to tie him down ASAP to a long-term deal.

Here's my squad (and new tactics) at the beginning of the League 1 season; I've had a massive overhaul and I've told the squad we'll go for a safe mid-table position, although I harbour secret ambitions for maybe pushing for the playoffs. We'll see. There's plenty of talent in the squad so you never know. Mark Roberts is my new captain and rock at the heart of defence. Annoyingly Ross Wallace broke his ankle on his debut and will be out for 3-4 months. I have plenty of backup at left wing but I suspect we'll miss his delivery from set pieces.

As a final note, I took that team/tactics screenshot immediately after the first game of the League 1 season, which we won 4-0 at home to Hartlepool who came up with me. Great start to the season, and even more excitingly, Damien McClements got a hat trick! I think it's safe to say he's ready. Aidan Kelly also impressed in the CF(S) role next to McClements, picking up an assist. I really like the idea of building my team using these two as a strike partnership; quite happy to spend a year or two consolidating in League 1 before pushing for promotion to the Championship.

Just a couple of tips for those starting saves at this level:

- Do not get fooled by Michel Kuipers' attributes. He has had so many dodgy moments I can't even tell if it's him or the current match engine. Just terrible. Unfortunately I don't really have a better option, so will need to wait until January.

- Jame Darvill is an excellent striking option on a free. Very good physicals, first touch, composure and off the ball.

City - yeah 16 Determination is good, his tutor James Keene has 18 so I'm hoping it'll go up even higher. His personality is Fairly Determined so not spectacular but could be worse! I've got him training the Poacher role since it'll boost all his best stats. He's got 6 goals in 4 games so far this season. Great prospect. He and Kelly are forming a really handy partnership.

Parkinson was excellent for me but I went on a bit of a spree this summer and brought in 4 new CBs. Parkinson is now surplus to requirements so I'll be selling him ASAP. I'm being ruthless since I'll be looking to get promoted ASAP but it's pretty harsh nonetheless, he did really well for me.

Guest El Payaso

52bf179c2e1c5.jpg

FA Cup: 2nd round (0-3 Gillingham)

FA Trophy: 2nd round (1-3 Luton)

goal.png: Knowles 17, Montgomery 13, Noto 9, Sturrock Morgan 8, O'Loughlin 6, Whichelow Simmonds 5, Wearen 3, Hart Ball Reynolds 2, Doolan Garrard Cox 1

Very average season for us even though we dominated the Skrill South. Tactically we were bad through the season as I tried to create 4-5-1 that had the single striker more as a creator, our flanks and more attacking midfield duo just didn't get the ball rolling. Almost every game was in our control and it's easy to say that every game of the season could have been won. We were losing a lot from set-pieces as I didn't want to make changes to attacking set-pieces and the opponents scored maybe ~15 of all 29 from them.

Highlight of our season was the unbeaten run in the league from start of november to start of march.

52bf179c33f57.jpg

Stats at the end of the season show that we really weren't too creative or clinical. Especially players like Whichelow, Noto, Sturrock and Ball were disappointments for me. Noto and Whichelow have been given a new chance for the next season though. I think that I'll start it after the new patch as I'm currently really frustrated with the match engine.

For anyone looking to sign a target man in the lower leagues, a great short term option looks to be the old warhorse himself, Dele Adebola...

72ps75.jpg

He starts the game at Rushall on non contract terms, and is still a physical beast with great mentals. Excellent as a tutor for any young strikers too. My coaches feel he'd still be a leading star for most League Two sides.

Guest El Payaso
I wasn't really into my Woking game so have started with Salisbury. They have a very similar squad to Boreham Wood in that most of the first team have excellent mental attributes, making them great for tutoring.
My first season's tutorings really weren't success. None of them worked and now Sam Cox isn't even interested tutoring anyone. My scouts have been busy whole summer and they have found me loads of promising youngsters that I've signed best of the bunch is a 15-year-old full-back that has potential to be a decent Premier League player and already a starting right back for me, interesting to see how long I can keep hold of him and how much money will I get... My team is already ready but now I'm aiming to get 2-3 tutors more, no game time for them, just tutoring.

Guest El Payaso
I barely tutor until I get newgens coming through.
Well as I said I did get my youth team full of young talent at start of the first season. And now it's even more packed when the second season is starting. :D Have to consider closely who will tutor whom...

52c165bd2451e.jpg

Here's the best one. It's easy to see that he really has the potential to play in EPL. Already one of the best players I have in my team.

If I can reach League-2 at the end of season two, it's the end of buying players for me as we become professionals. Makes the project a lot longer when I'm reaching to the top with our own re-gens.

Is anyone else noticing how many times players attempt back passes from 40-50 yards which go out for corners?

I've now uploaded NINE examples of this in little over half a season (Woking and Salisbury games combined), and three times we've then compounded the error by putting in an own goal from the resulting corner. Infuriating.

Guest El Payaso

52c1b8fd32a31.jpg

Here's my current youth team or atleast the best talents. Five stars is leading League-2 players and above, four and half is a good Legue-2 players and four is decent League-2 players. Best ones have potential to be leading League-1 players so not super talents there. Hopefully we get our own talents in a few seasons as I'm aiming to get good amount of money especially from FA Cup in forthcoming seasons, just need a little bit of luck in the draws and good efforts in single games.

Paul Smith

Gary Doherty

George Pilkington

Charlie O'Loughlin

Sam Cox

Mario Noto

Gary Hart

Dan Fitchett

Those are the players that I'm currently using as tutors.

Well, I have just read this from start to finish and:

1) I am disappointed no one has started out as Gosport Borough

2) I am feeling the need to put my Portsmouth save on hold and start a save with my true hometown club that I have deep connection to(my dad was club physio for 10 years), and raise Gosport Borough to the very top of the league tree.

I shall begin tomorrow....after I have drank myself silly :)

decided to start a LLM as i want to pause my main save till a good patch is out

Im going to choose Boreham Wood, read through this thread and see that they are a good team with potential and leaders.

Ive loaded the Scandinavian leagues, Scotland and all the main europe ones.

First time managing a very low league team, any transfer tips would be helpful.

Guest El Payaso
any transfer tips would be helpful.
This is once again just my opinion but isn't it much more realistic if you ask for tips from your own scouts? :) Trust me, they will find you some talent. Boreham is definetely a good choice, good tutors and some good players. Really should be an easy task to get promoted if you'll manage to find the right striker for first season.

Guest El Payaso

52c40bd780b8e.jpg

Decent start for a new season I think. There were days when our finishing was on and days where it was off. That Whitehawk-game was just a basic FM-frustrating game where we created huge amount of easy chances just to see the opposition hit us twice from set-pieces. Really 'sick' results have been coming in the league but I bet that that will chance as the season goes on. Kidderminster and Bristol Rovers have been destroying some of the weaker sides in their games.

52c40bd7995fa.jpg

Well, I have just read this from start to finish and:

1) I am disappointed no one has started out as Gosport Borough

2) I am feeling the need to put my Portsmouth save on hold and start a save with my true hometown club that I have deep connection to(my dad was club physio for 10 years), and raise Gosport Borough to the very top of the league tree.

I shall begin tomorrow....after I have drank myself silly :)

Good luck, hopefully you keep us posted on your progress in here.

This is once again just my opinion but isn't it much more realistic if you ask for tips from your own scouts? :) Trust me, they will find you some talent. Boreham is definetely a good choice, good tutors and some good players. Really should be an easy task to get promoted if you'll manage to find the right striker for first season.

I think Boreham are a potential sleeping giant of the lower leagues, with the starting squad.

You shouldn't really need much transfer activity at all at the start. Can you try and poach Sahr Kabba from Havant at the start of the game? If you're looking for a strong target man type then I believe Mike Symon starts on non-contract terms at Oxford City.

Archived