Sports Interactive Community
borboski

Individual Attack, Defend, Support instructions

Does anyone have any firm views on this - personally I felt like I had the balance all wrong. In a 4-4-2 with very average players I may have had only 1 striker on attack. The wingers and other striker were all on suppport, and all the defenders on defend.

A S

S D S S

D D D D

Reflecting on this maybe that only tells one player to get into the box? I can see that working if you are away from home and trying to grind out a result.

Additionally, if "Auto" asks the player to decide based on his position on the field, why would you allow every decent player to simply rest on "Auto"? I haven't tested it, as I don't know precisely what it does. But if it relates to certain stats, then those positions should surely all be checked to auto?

As an example (posted on another thread) with Celtic I recently had very simple tactics, with few shouts. My team was struggling to create any chances and conceding fairly easily.

F (A)

AML (S) AMR (S)

MC (S) MC (S)

DM (D)

DL (S) DC (D) DC (D) DR (D)

Loooking at this, again only 1 player is attacking. I had thought - support is an attacking-ish instruction? And in theory 6 players are supporting or attacking? But perhaps support only gets them to move into supporting positions, not to finish moves - the auto text suggests this. Interestingly these instructions had got me out of the CL Group state, W4 D0, L2, F6 A7.

I changed it to

F(A)

AML (S) AMR (A)

MC (S) MC (A)

DM (D)

DL (A) DC (D) DC (D) DR (S)

That gives me:

Attacking: 4 players

Supporting: 3 players

Defending: 3 players.

It gives me a nice overlap on the left hand side for Buttner to charge up, which I can support by getting the AML to come inside.

It's definitely working much better than before, I've won games without conceding and - with the "control" mentality controlled the game.

Additionally, if "Auto" asks the player to decide based on his position on the field, why would you allow every decent player to simply rest on "Auto"? I haven't tested it, as I don't know precisely what it does. But if it relates to certain stats, then those positions should surely all be checked to auto?

People have a misconception with 'Automatic'. 'Automatic' is based on the actual mentality you set your team. It has nothing to do with a player's position.

For example, if you set both your full backs with 'Automatic' and your team mentality is 'defensive', they will adopt a 'defend' duty. If your team mentality is 'attacking' they will adopt an 'attack' duty.

As a rule of thumb this is how the 'automatic' is affected by team mentality;

Contain = Defend

Defensive = Defend

Counter = Support

Standard = Support

Control = Support

Attacking = Attack

Overload = Attack

If I have got these slightly wrong someone else can correct me but I'm 99% sure these are correct.

You will also notice that when using the TC full backs and one central midfield player are usually always given an 'automatic' duty. Therefore the TC is practically telling you that your fullbacks should have a duty based on strategy - ie; no 'defend' duty with an attacking mentality and vice versa.

To give further food for thought - the actual individual player mentality is governed by the fluidity you choose. For example; a full back given an attack duty in a rigid philosophy will still be a lot more defensive with his mentality than that of a full back with an attack duty in a balanced philosophy.

Hmm, thanks for that. Are you sure?

That's useful if so - to a degree. It means I can leave a core of the team on Auto and then "shift gears" during the match. Might it explain why I find clicking the "attacking" and "overload" buttons doesn't really do anything.

On the other hand, it isn't clear how these two relate to each other.

Hmm, thanks for that. Are you sure?

That's useful if so - to a degree. It means I can leave a core of the team on Auto and then "shift gears" during the match. Might it explain why I find clicking the "attacking" and "overload" buttons doesn't really do anything.

On the other hand, it isn't clear how these two relate to each other.

Positive. You could clearly see all of this in all previous FM's where the TC was introduced. When you changed the settings and then looked at the sliders afterwards you could see how it was all affected. I know there are no sliders in FM14 but the workings will all still be there 'under the hood' so to speak.

The only philosophy where the actual mentalities are radically affected by changing a duty was the balanced philosophy as this philosophy was based around duties. The other philosophies are structured in different ways. For example; Rigid would give you the same mentality structure for a position regardless of his duty. The only things that would change would be specific instructions such as forward runs etc...

With a fluid philosophy, if you looked at the actual tactic screen, all players in the bottom half of the pitch shared the same mentality where the players in the top half of the pitch shared a higher mentality than those in the bottom half. Again, you can't actually see this now but it will still be there. Otherwise there would be no real need for the different fluidity settings.

What is the "TC"?

Tactics Creator