Eat, Sleep, Play, Repeat - FM End Game

I generally always manage smaller teams with the view to taking them to the top and in the past been pretty successful with teams such as Swansea, Hull and Cardiff. I always seemed to fade out and lose interest once winning the Champions League and not continue.

However this time I set myself a goal... Take Chester City (my local team) from the Blue Square North to world domination with no excuses or cheats.

I have just won the Champions League for the 8th time in the year 2034, the Premier League 7 times and now been elect 'Greatest Manager of All Time' in the game. With the latest final being at held at Old Trafford and topping the hall of fame, I think its now a fitting time to hang up my boots. I have lived and breathed this game for 10 days and 20 hours on the same save file. I have played every single match, never once going on holiday or using using editors etc, everything just default. This is the longest I have ever played with a single team (without holiday mode) and I'm sure other people have gone deeper still.

Now that my team has been at the very top, dominating year after year without much challenge I ask myself what can be done in future installments of the game to keep this 'end game' fresh and interesting?

1. The aspect that really grips me and keeps my bum on the seat for hour upon hour is player progression. I only buy young players with the joy of watching them grow, improve and break records, going on to become club legends and which this in mind I think this is an area which could be improved. I signed a young regen central defender who has been my first team starter, rock and captain of the team for 12 straight seasons and when hes gone, thats it, hes gone. He may have his name attached to the odd news story warning me about the threat of other players in the future but thats about as involved as he would be from now on. Could these club legends not have more actions, maybe taking it upon themselves to request to become coaches or board members for their love of the club. Could the club build a statue of them or name a section of the stadium after them? It just seems that after such an incredible history with the club the player is simply gone. maybe more news stories could be introduced so that when you win a trophy it says things such as , 'joe bloggs has now won the trophy 3 times, equaling club legend paul smiths record'. etc etc

Maybe coaches could report on young players, stating how they are progressing in their careers in comparison to how the 'legend' was doing in his career at that stage. Are they standing up in terms of match ratings or goals per games? Sort of comparison stats with previous players against current players.

2. I'm in a 51,000 seater stadium now but it will not increase on that. Its gone as far as possible which isn't far enough as the stands are full week in week out, so the population is obviously there. In real life any team, however small they started out, would have a plan for a next level of stadium growth once they are biggest club in the world bar none for many years running. My stadium should at least be able to be expanded (or a new one built) to the same size of say Barcelona or man united, seeing as they have been in my shadow for years.

Getting to a 51,000 seater stadium was unrealistically slow. Having won my 3rd premier league title and a few champions leagues, super cups and uefa cups I was still playing in a stadium with under 40,000 capacity. This wouldn't happen in real life so maybe the club reputation stats need tweaking so that they improve more in line with what the team is actually achieving.

3. Computer controlled teams seem to have lower standards. Once the world is full of regens, your top premier league teams seem to buy and field lots of 'average' looking players. They still seem to get a fair bit of success but the standard seems lower.

4. After winning the premier league a couple of times back to back I still wasn't regarded as a favorite to win it. I could understand this if I had come out of nowhere and won it but I hadn't, i had very very slowly built up to it with both success and failure along the way. Again pointing to a club reputation stat needing to follow the achievements more closely.

5. I have just been crowned 'greatest manager of all time' yet I have never been offered an international job?

6. In the early days players were being traded for big money. Now everything is regen based, the large teams very rarely spend over 20m.

7. Despite some of my players being the very best in the world and winning all there is to win, I cant seem to sell them for much money, regardless of age. Absolute world beaters seem to hold no value.

8. Could there be more random events? Some form of disaster that wipes a team out or a player or damage to a stadium. Extra policing costs for games against rivals etc Maybe not always 'bad' random events either but some beneficial ones could occur. Just to keep things interesting and put a piece of news on the screen that you haven't seen 500 times before, something a bit unique.

9. Maybe a competitions format could change or a league be created or disband, maybe you could be requested to vote on this with other teams in your league or country.

Has anybody else gone really deep into the game and thought of anything that they would like to see happen?

Sorry mate, but we need proof. In such a small timescale. I think its sim to no chance... Please call my bluff and prove with pictures, champions league final photos and manager history of the teams you beat in finals.

No not 8 times in a row, just 8 times in total. The most recent was my 3rd time in a row.

Besides it sounds funny but european competition has been much easier than domestic. The prem has been much more challenging when a tactic sometimes becomes 'cracked' and you suddenly cant string a win together.

Great post mate.

I think the way that the teams tend to 'flatten' out the transfer market the further you get into the future is a bit of a problem. There should always be players that every team would love to have. It seems absurd that in 20 years a player like Lionel Messi would only have one club bid 20m for him with all other clubs sitting back, not thinking that he is worth even 25m. Similarly, I think there would be at least 10 clubs throwing obscene amounts of money around, inflating the transfer market (i.e. Man City) at any one time.

I generally always manage smaller teams with the view to taking them to the top and in the past been pretty successful with teams such as Swansea, Hull and Cardiff. I always seemed to fade out and lose interest once winning the Champions League and not continue.

However this time I set myself a goal... Take Chester City (my local team) from the Blue Square North to world domination with no excuses or cheats.

I have just won the Champions League for the 8th time in the year 2034, the Premier League 7 times and now been elect 'Greatest Manager of All Time' in the game. With the latest final being at held at Old Trafford and topping the hall of fame, I think its now a fitting time to hang up my boots. I have lived and breathed this game for 10 days and 20 hours on the same save file. I have played every single match, never once going on holiday or using using editors etc, everything just default. This is the longest I have ever played with a single team (without holiday mode) and I'm sure other people have gone deeper still.

Now that my team has been at the very top, dominating year after year without much challenge I ask myself what can be done in future installments of the game to keep this 'end game' fresh and interesting?

1. The aspect that really grips me and keeps my bum on the seat for hour upon hour is player progression. I only buy young players with the joy of watching them grow, improve and break records, going on to become club legends and which this in mind I think this is an area which could be improved. I signed a young regen central defender who has been my first team starter, rock and captain of the team for 12 straight seasons and when hes gone, thats it, hes gone. He may have his name attached to the odd news story warning me about the threat of other players in the future but thats about as involved as he would be from now on. Could these club legends not have more actions, maybe taking it upon themselves to request to become coaches or board members for their love of the club. Could the club build a statue of them or name a section of the stadium after them? It just seems that after such an incredible history with the club the player is simply gone. maybe more news stories could be introduced so that when you win a trophy it says things such as , 'joe bloggs has now won the trophy 3 times, equaling club legend paul smiths record'. etc etc

Maybe coaches could report on young players, stating how they are progressing in their careers in comparison to how the 'legend' was doing in his career at that stage. Are they standing up in terms of match ratings or goals per games? Sort of comparison stats with previous players against current players.

2. I'm in a 51,000 seater stadium now but it will not increase on that. Its gone as far as possible which isn't far enough as the stands are full week in week out, so the population is obviously there. In real life any team, however small they started out, would have a plan for a next level of stadium growth once they are biggest club in the world bar none for many years running. My stadium should at least be able to be expanded (or a new one built) to the same size of say Barcelona or man united, seeing as they have been in my shadow for years.

Getting to a 51,000 seater stadium was unrealistically slow. Having won my 3rd premier league title and a few champions leagues, super cups and uefa cups I was still playing in a stadium with under 40,000 capacity. This wouldn't happen in real life so maybe the club reputation stats need tweaking so that they improve more in line with what the team is actually achieving.

3. Computer controlled teams seem to have lower standards. Once the world is full of regens, your top premier league teams seem to buy and field lots of 'average' looking players. They still seem to get a fair bit of success but the standard seems lower.

4. After winning the premier league a couple of times back to back I still wasn't regarded as a favorite to win it. I could understand this if I had come out of nowhere and won it but I hadn't, i had very very slowly built up to it with both success and failure along the way. Again pointing to a club reputation stat needing to follow the achievements more closely.

5. I have just been crowned 'greatest manager of all time' yet I have never been offered an international job?

6. In the early days players were being traded for big money. Now everything is regen based, the large teams very rarely spend over 20m.

7. Despite some of my players being the very best in the world and winning all there is to win, I cant seem to sell them for much money, regardless of age. Absolute world beaters seem to hold no value.

8. Could there be more random events? Some form of disaster that wipes a team out or a player or damage to a stadium. Extra policing costs for games against rivals etc Maybe not always 'bad' random events either but some beneficial ones could occur. Just to keep things interesting and put a piece of news on the screen that you haven't seen 500 times before, something a bit unique.

9. Maybe a competitions format could change or a league be created or disband, maybe you could be requested to vote on this with other teams in your league or country.

Has anybody else gone really deep into the game and thought of anything that they would like to see happen?

Have you considered getting a job?

Yeah maybe a bit extreme but maybe some sort of AWOL player or players really forcing moves away to other teams etc. Just something unusual in the game because it got very stale. In the end you knew the text inside the news articles before opening them, only the names changes. A bit more variety would be cool, some events that make you make decisions and keep you on the ball.

If memory serves Chelsea have won back to back Premier League titles, a Champions League, a Europa League, a shed load of FA Cups and have a multi billionaire owner yet still play in a stadium of 41,000. I'm not sure the game is that unrealistic in relation to stadiums. It really isn't just that simple to move to a brand new stadium especially in the space of 5 to 10 years.

If memory serves Chelsea have won back to back Premier League titles, a Champions League, a Europa League, a shed load of FA Cups and have a multi billionaire owner yet still play in a stadium of 41,000. I'm not sure the game is that unrealistic in relation to stadiums. It really isn't just that simple to move to a brand new stadium especially in the space of 5 to 10 years.

To be fair, Chelsea are looking into way(s) to relocate as expansion of Stamford Bridge unfortunately is not an option. But it is also very hard to find suitable place in London to build new stadium.

Well, I'm not fond of introducing Sim City-like disaster events just to keep things interesting.

The challenge in your game must be to keep winning as much as possible year in, year out. I confess that this would not thrill me either. I would actually get bored much sooner than you here.

However, if continuing to write the story bores you then I say the way is to take over a new club and trying to repeat this kind of success.

With respect to the game, your post hightlights some issues for the future too:

- AI squad management can apparently still do with some improvement, but I guess that SI keep on improving this part all the time. This is the core of long-term motivation in any save.

- It would be interesting to see former clubs legends playing a more prominent role, as long as you were building and following their careers all the time. However, I'm not sure that I would enjoy the creation of even more news items that have no other purpose than containing the names of former legends, even worse if that would apply to all club legends from day 1. Any such improvement would have to make sure that existing and useful news items are improved. The creation of otherwise meaningless new ones would after all just spam the inbox.

Archived