Everyone Plays For Algeria In The Belgian Pro League On My Save?

I was playing Football Manager and I decided for no reason at all to look at one of my players history. I suddenly realised that it said that my player had played for the Algerian national side in the Belgian Pro League in the 00-01 season? It then says after one season that he joined me on a free transfer? I then looked at the rest of my players and it all says the same thing. It says the same thing for every single player in the game. They play for Algeria for one season in the Belgium Pro League and then they re-join the team they already play for? I don't know how this started and I have no idea of how to remove it? I am hoping someone has a solution has had a similar issue with the game that can help me solve this issue?

It'll be because the Belgian Pro League is the first in the list of leagues and Algeria is the first country (and 2000 is the usual base year). Don't know why it's adding these in your case but doubt you'll be able to remove it from a savegame. What team are you managing and were these players in your team at the start? Are they newgens?

p.s. this should be in editor data or bugs forum, you're more likely to get a response there

This also happened to me yesterday. Also my statistical history got wiped, i.e. top goalscorers, players of the year, my manager history, club history etc.

This is the reply I got in the 'Crashes, Game Launch and Technical Issues' section:

"Yeah if the player histories are corrupted (aka Algeria) then the histories most definitely will have been wiped. I'm afraid if this has happened they cannot be restored - the most common cause is running an anti-virus scan whilst the game is running which in turn removes important temporary files which means the game can no longer call upon them. Let me know either way, thanks."

I'm not totally convinced about this though as until recently I have been running FM12 for 2 years on the same laptop with no such issues.

• Administrators

If the histories are wiped more often it's due to a temp file being removed whilst the game is open. Once removed they cannot be restored. This has been the case in every FM we've ever put out.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

yeah, this has happened to me 2 times now.

First time was 2020 managing Stuttgart and second time right now, this time I fortunatley had an save that was two weeks earlier in the game and my history was still there.

I'm, using W8.1 and windows defender which from the looks of it have real-time checks but hasn't removed any temp-file.

I put SI folder on the "dont check" list. Although SI probably should change how the history works if it is this vulnerable, just my 5 cents.

Regards!

EDIT: I'm not too sure its just because of a temp-file is removed. Same save and the history disappeared 18 January 2017.

EDIT2: Yep, happened again, when the day switches to 18 January 2017 the history gets deleted.

EDIT3: Yay!

Follwed the steps here:

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/382684-0-01-Algeria-WHAT

Shut down FM, deleted the FM14 folder in as suggested in the other thread and now my history still works. Thank you god!

Maybe I should thest this with my other save and see if I can rescue that aswell :D

EDIT4: No, I saw wrong, didnt work :(

Luckily I have my saves on dropbox, I'll find an old save and try that one.

EDIT5: Fifth time is the charm, right? That worked.

Henke, trust me it's the temp file. Your save is showing all the 'symptoms' of the Player History bug, relating to Virus Software or CCleaner.

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/303751-Incorrect-Player-History-displayed-of-missing

I post the above link in any posts I see regarding this issue because I've been there and encountered it numerous times until I 'fixed' it. Scroll to the bottom and I've included a step by step guide to prevent it. In short, you want your virus protection to never scan the 'My Documents - Sports Interactive' folder and the 'Steam Apps' folder. In addition, NEVER run CCleaner or similar software while FM is running. Always shut down FM if you want to do any type of scan. They issue won't become apparent until the next season loads (each league has a different date).

I believe the save just got corrupted but i've no idea how. I make sure that i use the rolling save function now though so if it happens again i hopefully wont lose the save.

Oxford and Henke, having backup saves and rolling saves won't prevent the issue. The temp file relates to all those saved files. It's now gone.

Yeah, my computer crashed earlier this evening (while FM was running, probably changing days) and the game started in full screen the next time I started it (thus, some temp-file has been deleted/corrupted/whatever).

I chose an earlier save (which has been saved in Dropbox previous version) so I restored that one and heywouldyalookatthat. Got past 18th January with full history.

Still, I think SI should do something about this even though its my own computers fault :)

It is, but this issue is unique in the fact that the temp file contains the history for all those saves. They are all the same, just at different intervals. So if it goes missing any one of those save files will be affected. I tried back when it happened to me and it does the same thing.

Just holiday your backup save to test it, make sure you holiday into the next season so the history switches over. But I'm sure it will suffer the same issue.

I wish, and I also hope for your sake. I lost a save I put 300hrs in to on FM12. Was so devastated. While it's still playable it effects everything that uses history. So the inbox messages always say the player made a debut, or just signed despite being there 5 seasons.

I highly recommend you make a copy save and holiday it to the next season. Save you the heartache.

Yeah... I'm gonna spend some time at the tellie, I'll just holiday 1yr. That shouldnt take such long time.

Uninstalled W8 and installed W7 since W7 is much more stable on my rig. The crash was my issue, not the anti-virus.

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...

It's unfortunate, but I doubt they'd ever publicise it from a PR stand-point. Of course, whether a user cares about that, or thinks it's valid is another point.

It doesn't seem particularly widespread, but definitely unfortunate for those it hits.

• Administrators

It is warned against in the manual - http://www.footballmanager.com/manual/150-troubleshooting/1511-important-information-regarding-anti-virus-software-and-football

It's always been the case I'm afraid. If your anti-virus removes a file there isn't much we can do about it - we can't set files to not be removed.

If there's a known issue with critical game files becoming corrupted then surely there could be a process whereby the file is intermittently backed up? Advising users to disable their anti-virus doesn't strike me as a great solution.

A lot of software including games advise not running virus scans when the software is open, this is by no means a FM problem.

It is a user problem and the way they look after their system. There is no problem having anti-virus software enabled, just don't run scans when FM is open, its pretty basic stuff tbh.

If there's a known issue with critical game files becoming corrupted then surely there could be a process whereby the file is intermittently backed up? Advising users to disable their anti-virus doesn't strike me as a great solution.

They're temporary files, so kind of goes against the very definition to back them up. I don't know the ins and outs, but assume that they have them as temporary files for a reason, so that won't change. And you don't have to switch it off, just add FM to the list of folders it doesn't scan. Given the app doesn't really access the internet, you're probably going to be OK with that.

• 2 weeks later...
A lot of software including games advise not running virus scans when the software is open, this is by no means a FM problem.

It is a user problem and the way they look after their system. There is no problem having anti-virus software enabled, just don't run scans when FM is open, its pretty basic stuff tbh.

The fact that a lot of developers follow bad practice doesn't stop it from being bad practice.

Having an anti-virus program that actively scans for problems is a good thing. It's taken many years of corruption, infection, upset, lost and stolen data, but finally people seem to be getting this message (and still the number of infected PCs remains alarmingly high). Contradicting this message is a bad thing - especially when the types of people most likely to shut off their AV without thinking are also the types most likely to inadvertently download malicious software.

They're temporary files, so kind of goes against the very definition to back them up. I don't know the ins and outs, but assume that they have them as temporary files for a reason, so that won't change. And you don't have to switch it off, just add FM to the list of folders it doesn't scan. Given the app doesn't really access the internet, you're probably going to be OK with that.

They're temporary files because when the game was being developed that seemed like the best option. That doesn't make it impossible to adopt a different approach given that it's clear that there are problems with the temporary files.

Considering the extent to which FM embraces third-party integration, and the inherent dodginess of the internet, I'm sure there are plenty of infected "skins", "facepacks", "tactics" and the like out there. It seems to me that a very obvious place for such software to install itself is right in the /FM folders that SI are telling everyone to make their AV ignore.

The fact that a lot of developers follow bad practice doesn't stop it from being bad practice.

Having an anti-virus program that actively scans for problems is a good thing. It's taken many years of corruption, infection, upset, lost and stolen data, but finally people seem to be getting this message (and still the number of infected PCs remains alarmingly high). Contradicting this message is a bad thing - especially when the types of people most likely to shut off their AV without thinking are also the types most likely to inadvertently download malicious software.

They're temporary files because when the game was being developed that seemed like the best option. That doesn't make it impossible to adopt a different approach given that it's clear that there are problems with the temporary files.

Considering the extent to which FM embraces third-party integration, and the inherent dodginess of the internet, I'm sure there are plenty of infected "skins", "facepacks", "tactics" and the like out there. It seems to me that a very obvious place for such software to install itself is right in the /FM folders that SI are telling everyone to make their AV ignore.

And how do you figure that it isn't still the best option? Anything to back that up?

The only bad practice is by the user.

SI supply one piece of software which the user chooses to install & use on their own system. SI are not responsible for the system or the way it works, the user is.

No-one asked them to shut their AV off, simply not runs scans when FM is open or add the files to the "Do not scan list" in the AV software.

and again the system/AV/how to manage it is all the responsibility of the user.

and again its the users responsibility to check any files they download for infections prior to using them.

There really is no arguments it is 100% the users fault.

Archived