FM14: St.Etienne - Allez Les Verts!

Saint_Lane

Start of season 4 I've blown 25.5 million on 4 players. Two young regens one I paid 1 million for the other 7 million. Bought Mauro Icardi from Inter Milan for 10.75 m and Stefano Denswill for 6.5 m. Got rid of a lot of reserve and youth players who were not going to

make it. Sold Bayal on a free Erdinc to Celtic for 3m and Ibrahim Sissoko who I had secured of a permanent basis after his first season loan, for a fee of 1.8m. A few changes in staff personnel to.

All the big clubs are trying to buy Zouma (I'm still using the last database) Regulary turning down bids of 30 - 48 m. Managing to pacify him at the moment, but don't know how long that's going to last. Using 4-1-4-1 tactics for this season and looking good so far in

pre season.

I'm now the France Under 21 manager too.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice one Arab. I'd love to know which originals you have left in your squad(s). I'm getting loads of offers for Zouma too, the most interested club seem to be Chelsea. In fact, Mourinho has turned in to a bit of a stalker as he is 'spotted in the stands' almost every week. I ask for £50m plus a loan back and 50% future profit and they walk away. I wouldn't sell him anyway as he is under contract until 2019.

Thinking of starting a save with Etienne, as I've had a soft spot for them the last few years, and I'm in love with Zouma and Guilavigou :p Do finances get decent after the first season, and is it easy to challenge for the Europa/CL spots? Not sure about the longetivity of the save though, as I could see myself enjoying the squad for the first couple of years then moving onto a different team afterwards...

Thinking of starting a save with Etienne, as I've had a soft spot for them the last few years, and I'm in love with Zouma and Guilavigou :p Do finances get decent after the first season, and is it easy to challenge for the Europa/CL spots? Not sure about the longetivity of the save though, as I could see myself enjoying the squad for the first couple of years then moving onto a different team afterwards...

Go for it Dave! Depending on which database, you will have Zouma but not Guilavogui (14.2.2) or Zouma on loan-back until the end of season 1 and Guilavogui on loan (14.3). I'm on 14.2.2 and it took me two seasons to finally land Guilavogui. Atletico just wouldn't accept less than £20m until they suddenly transfer listed him at the end of August 2015, and I could snap him up for £7m. By December of season 3, he is valued in excess of £15m. If you're on 14.3 new database, you will find plenty of good defenders to replace Zouma from within the French leagues. You may also have more cash due to his sale (I'd be interested to know on that).

My advice: Season 1, don't go for anything other than top-half finish. In my first attempt I was sacked in November despite confidence that this would be accomplished. In my current attempt, I went for top-half finish and finished 2nd (then 2nd again). The budget is good for Ligue 1, and despite the low ambition level you should be looking to qualify for at least the Europa League in your first season. Finances are sound, and if you can do well in Europe, you will be raking it in. I won a domestic cup in season 1, and got to the SF of the Champions League in season 2.

I hope you take it on, and get hooked as much as I have!

Go for it Dave! Depending on which database, you will have Zouma but not Guilavogui (14.2.2) or Zouma on loan-back until the end of season 1 and Guilavogui on loan (14.3). I'm on 14.2.2 and it took me two seasons to finally land Guilavogui. Atletico just wouldn't accept less than £20m until they suddenly transfer listed him at the end of August 2015, and I could snap him up for £7m. By December of season 3, he is valued in excess of £15m. If you're on 14.3 new database, you will find plenty of good defenders to replace Zouma from within the French leagues. You may also have more cash due to his sale (I'd be interested to know on that).

My advice: Season 1, don't go for anything other than top-half finish. In my first attempt I was sacked in November despite confidence that this would be accomplished. In my current attempt, I went for top-half finish and finished 2nd (then 2nd again). The budget is good for Ligue 1, and despite the low ambition level you should be looking to qualify for at least the Europa League in your first season. Finances are sound, and if you can do well in Europe, you will be raking it in. I won a domestic cup in season 1, and got to the SF of the Champions League in season 2.

I hope you take it on, and get hooked as much as I have!

You've convinced me, I am playing on the latest patch so I will have Josh and Zouma on loan. Think I should be able to keep Zouma on loan for the second season, as I had a save with Wolfsburg when they got relegated and he was happy to join me then on loan!

Welcome aboard!

That's great if you can have Zouma for a second season. Of course, you won't have Ghoulam either, but will have Tremoulinas. Please let me know what transfer budget options you get on the latest patch, and hopefully you will post plenty of updates.

Allez Les Verts!

im thinking of starting a save with this lads.. but can someone recommend a starting tactic for them?? because im not a great tactician =( thanks in advice

I feel like a concierge welcoming all the new arrivals :lol:

The accuracy and detailed information provided by Saint_Lane should give you a very good base to work from. I don't think there is only one tactic/formation to use, and Arab is doing well with a different formation to me, but if you identify the strengths of the squad, it will direct you in a certain way.

Goalkeepers: The team has a great 'keeper and capable understudy.

Defenders: A very solid group, with plenty of versatile cover players to supplement your starters.

Midfielders: The central midfielders are energetic and hard-working if not particularly creative. You have an abundance of wingers for both flanks.

Strikers: In my opinion, the weak area of the squad, with no prolific marksman. If you make one quality signing, I suggest it's here.

So, this would suggest four defenders and one striker is probably the right way to go. Add your two wide players and then find a way to have your three central midfielders. You could have a DM, AM, or three CM. The two wingers can play in midfield or further forward as attacking wingers. Focus should be on your stamina and hard work in the middle, winning the ball back and attacking from the flanks.

The OP has shown some formations and shouts which are really good advice. My set-up is similar but slightly different (41221) with 6 team shouts:

GK / DR (D) / DCR (BPD) / DCL (D) / DL (D or Auto) / DM (Anchor) / CMR (B2B-S) / CML (BWM-D) / AMR (W-S) / AML (W-S) / ST (CF-A)

Team shouts: More direct passing, exploit the flanks, hassle opponents, stay on feet, clear ball to flanks, higher tempo.

One player instruction: B2BM - shoot less often.

The team functions the way these shouts should work. The defence is solid, whilst the midfield run around alot, win the ball, and pass it wide. Most goals come from crosses via the wingers, and from corners and free-kicks (I set delivery areas up for these) and long throws (I set this to long).

I hope this helps give some further ideas, but there are definitely different ways to play and enjoy this club. Hopefully you take the challenge and post your progress in here :)

I've progressed season 3 until February 2016 so it's update time as the transfer window has closed.

General

I'm satisfied with our form so far - especially as Batshuayi had gone 13 hours without any goals until recently. I've had to revert to 442 in recent games in order to help him fire again, and by doing so we have lost some of our normal defensive stability. However, hopefully he will now go on a scoring streak and reinforce his value (interestingly Bayern Munich are still admirers) which had dropped from over £9m down to just £7m. Emeghara has grabbed his chance to shine in recent matches, but we have been too reliant on defenders (Bayal and Zouma) converting from corners and free-kicks for far too long. I've also added another striker to the group, partly because of justified earlier concerns over Batshuayi, partly because of the fact that I loaned another prospect out, and partly because the man is a former club legend. I should also mention Tabanou in this update - the leading assist maker in Ligue 1 this season by some distance.

Ligue 1

We are putting some real pressure on PSG this time. In fact, if we hadn't lost the recent Ligue 1 encounter against them, we would have a little bit of a cushion at the top of the table. We've already lost three league games, which is more than the whole of last season, but we are winning more too. In January, I finally felt confident to accept increased board expectations of Champions League qualification - this time with little fear of the sack. I'd be delighted to finally topple PSG, but I fully expect them to step up their game.

Champions League

Qualification from the group was blessed with some good fortune. We were never above 3rd place and level with Juventus on points and GD going in to the final round of matches. We hosted Benfica, who had already won the group, whilst Juventus travelled to Grasshoppers - at that time pointless. I think our visitors understimated us, and what I felt would be a tricky tie turned in to a comfortable 3-0 victory for us. I still expected Juventus to beat the Swiss, but was relieved to find out afterwards that they had been held 0-0 and so we progressed through against all the odds. Next up, we face Atletico Madrid, which won't be easy at all.

Domestic Cups

We crashed out of the French Cup in Round 9, losing 1-0 at Stade Brestois 29 (Brest to me and you). I rotated the squad heavily but still expected to win - unfortunately the gamble didn't pay off though. The goal itself left my reserve 'keeper Moulin 'rouge-faced', but the competition was the lowest of my priorities so the board won't mind too much.

We're doing better in the Coupe de la Ligue, and in our next match we entertain Bordeaux in the semi-final. In the first match of this competition, my latest young prospect (Akanbi) scored the winner from the bench in his one and only appearance for my first team. I then agreed to send him on loan - a decision that allowed me to bring in a more experienced striker who ASSE fans will hold fond memories of. The 'new' man scored the winner in the last of these Cup matches.

Transfer Update

There wasn't too much activity here, and in fact during January I was able to keep my phone bill down as no enquiries or offers were made for any players. The window closed with £36m of surplus funds left untouched, and the club is in a very healthy financial state.

In - Bafetimbi Gomis (loan)

Signed on loan in mid-November, he has been the only addition to my squad since August. The experienced striker was sat in AS Monaco's reserve team, and allowed to leave for just a 50% wage contribution until the end of this season. He had a superb initial spell at the club before moving to Lyon, and holds HG status with us. Whilst Batshuayi was on his awful run of form, he seemed like a good short-term solution - and is also now registered for the next phase of the Champions League.

Out - Taofeek Akanbi (loan)

With Gomis on-board, I sanctioned an offer from Valenciennes to take the young striker on loan until the end of the season. He scored in his only first team appearance for me (from the bench) but I didn't want the burden of goalscoring to fall on his shoulders too soon. The loan fee of £31k p/m was a sweetener too.

Out - Evandro

In January, I allowed the injury-plagued midfieder to depart too. Approaching his 30th year, and with a contract expiring at the end of the season, an offer of £750k from Empoli was not going to be rejected. He had been signed for £900k at the start of season 1, and performed well when fit and able to get in to the side.

Out - Eirik Birkelund (loan)

The young reserve team midfielder was sent on loan to USBCO until the summer. We don't seem to be able to agree terms on a new deal so that may signal the end of his career with us.

Contracts

Romain Hamouma is demanding a salary beyond his worth to extend his stay, so could be departing when his contract finishes at the end of this season. I'd like to keep him, but there are only three players earning over £24k p/w - and he doesn't deserve to be the fourth member of that group. Jessy Moulin has only been getting Cup games over the last few seasons, but my back-up 'keeper doesn't want to continue on that basis, and looks like being lost at the end of the term. I've made a Bosman approach for a much younger replacement from Italy, who will be earning three times as much as Moulin's £8.25k p/w salary, but will be able to push Ruffier and eventually take over the gloves himself if he joins.

Latest results and Ligue 1 table

ASSaint-Etienne_FixturesSchedule-18_zps38695f2f.png

Ligue1_OverviewStages-10_zpsbcb6486b.png

jogo bonito: nice would be nice if u win the league =)

1 question do u stick to counter all time?

Thanks in advice

Thanks, it will be a very tough task to stay above PSG - but there is a chance.

I keep the same shouts all the time, regardless of the opponents and even the score during the game. I'm able to do this because we are not normally behind or out of the game, and also because I always look at defensive stability as the most important area of my team. I don't normally change the formation during the game either, but have started to use 442 in recent weeks as I felt Batshuayi needed a partner to help him. The experiment is working in that sense, but we are conceding more goals now. That worries me, so I don't know if this will be my long-term plan. My previous 4321 was working perfectly when the lone striker was scoring, but this season that hasn't always been the case.

I didn't keep him after season 1 (I'm still on version 14.2.2) as we had Hamouma, Tabanou and Gradel for the flanks. Plus some promising youth players like Saint-Maximin, Bamba and Malumandsako that are developing really well in my U19 team over the last few seasons. Hamouma may be leaving on a Bosman at the end of season 3, I don't think he is worth the wage he wants, so might see what the situation is with Mollo again - or may just add the youngsters to the main squad.

I should have the end of season update soon, I have the last 5 or 6 league games to complete but really enjoying this save.

Nice one Arab. I'd love to know which originals you have left in your squad(s). I'm getting loads of offers for Zouma too, the most interested club seem to be Chelsea. In fact, Mourinho has turned in to a bit of a stalker as he is 'spotted in the stands' almost every week. I ask for £50m plus a loan back and 50% future profit and they walk away. I wouldn't sell him anyway as he is under contract until 2019.

Original squad members with me at the start of season 4 are Ruffier Moulin Baysse Zouma Pogba Gholam Lemoine Mollo Cohade Tabannou Hamouna Clement Perrin Brison and Saint Maximin.

Polomat Kacou Mayi Bamba Malumandsoko are either in the reserves or on loan.

Currently top of the league after 10 games Won 8 Drew 1 lost 1. Even beat PSG at home 3-0

Been using 4-1-4-1 based on the Hand of Gods three variations.

Still enjoying it although not having much time to play at the moment.

gotlandskommun: That's a bit of a slip, no European football of any kind in season 3? How are the board treating you now?

Arab: I like the fact that you retained so many of the squad, I've tried to do the same (and bring back a few former players too). Excellent start to season 4, good luck with that.

Season 3 Review (2015/2016)

I've just completed a third very enjoyable season, which went right down to the wire in more than one respect.

Ligue 1

Picking up from where I left off in February 2016, we headed PSG by 4 points after 25 games in Ligue 1. We managed to remain consistent for the rest of the month, but after a run of three league games in March and early April without a win - including a disappointing 1-0 defeat at home to En Avant de Guingamp - our rivals claimed top spot again with 33 games played. Following two more wins and a draw at lowly Nantes, we entered round 37 still trailing them by a point, and it looked like time was running out. But after a solid 3-1 away win at relegation-threatened SC Bastia in Round 37 - and dropped points by PSG on the same day - we went in to the final fixture back on top, with a one point advantage over PSG and a slightly inferior goal difference.

Domestic Cups

After exiting the French Cup at the first hurdle (Round 9), more positivity came from the Coupe de la Ligue results, where a Semi Final win over Bordeaux (2-1) took us in to the Final against Montpellier. In a somewhat tepid encounter, the scores were locked at 0-0 after 90 minutes, and a further 30 minutes of extra time came and went without that changing. In fact, even after five rounds of penalties each, the shootout was still level (though only at 2-2 after a variety of misses and numerous good saves, especially by our 'keeper Ruffier). Ruffier's status as the hero was further enhanced as two more saves followed, and we finally landed the trophy with a 5-4 penalty advantage.

UEFA Champions League

Despite all this going on in France, our excellent run in the Champions League also continued. We saw off Atletico Madrid 5-3 on aggregate in the 1st Knockout Round, then edged out Borussia Dortmund 3-2 in the Quarter Final after a 1-1 draw in Germany and 2-1 win in the second leg at home. The Semi Final draw saw us take on the mighty Real Madrid, but after a 0-0 draw in Spain, we held our nerve back in France to claim a 1-0 victory. News soon dropped that we would be facing a familiar name in the Final - our old adversaries PSG!

Here are the additional results that took us to the final two matches of the season...

ASSaint-Etienne_FixturesSchedule-20_zpsda4206d8.png

Ligue 1 conclusion, Round 38

The simple equation was that we needed to match the PSG result on the final day in order to claim the title. Luckily we were hosting Stade de Reims who propped up the table and were long-since relegated. After an early goal from Zouma (2 minutes) settled the nerves, we dominated the match and a second from the enigmatic Batshuayi (55 minutes) sealed a routine 2-0 home win. PSG did what they could, but their 3-0 win made no difference, and we claimed the Ligue 1 title by a single point amidst scenes of wild celebration.

ASSaint-EtiennevStadedeReims_PitchSplit_zps58705596.png

Ligue1_OverviewStages-11_zps39214d88.png

UEFA Champions League Final

All that remained was the little matter of the Champions League final - at The Millenium Stadium in Cardiff - but we had given opponents PSG the perfect incentive to raise their game and stop us doing the double. It was no real surprise to see PSG take the lead after 49 minutes, when Bony tucked home from six yards after a free-kick from near the half-way line. More surprising to me was that he managed to find space so close to our goal, when the ball had been floated in from such a long and (I thought) harmless distance. Nevertheless, with the odds stacked against my boys, Batshuayi (back on form in the final few matches after a barren spell of around 20 hours without a goal) slotted home a 76th minute leveller after a good pull-back from the left flank by substitute Emeghara. I began to believe that the tie would head towards extra time, and possibly penalties, but those hopes were crushed within just a couple of minutes as Pastore grabbed a 78th minute winner for the Parisiens. So, the ultimate prize was heading to Paris instead of to the Loire Valley, but on the day we had fallen just short of PSG, and I had no complaints over the outcome.

ASSaint-EtiennevParisSaint-Germain_PitchSplit_zpscd585a43.png

Summary and Player Review

As disappointing as that European defeat was, we had just completed a remarkably successful season, lifting two trophies and making massive progress financially. The squad had continued to show that hard-work, determination and a solid structure were able to deliver results.

There were some areas of concern still, such as the inability of Batshuayi to sustain a consistent goal return for the second season running. I can't fathom out how a man with all that ability can go on such long, cold streaks, but no approach works until he suddenly decides to snap out of it and go on a scoring run. I'm contemplating what to do next with the Belgian starlet, and there are big decisions to be made. I may keep him as a lone striker and hope he reverts to season 1 form, may play him with a strike partner and accept that some defensive solidity will be lost, or may consider sending him on loan if I can entice a massive bid for his services.

Again, we had to rely quite heavily on maximising corners and free-kicks, with my central defenders (Zouma and Bayal) contributing a massive amount of goals - often from the deadly deliveries of Tabanou.

Here is a list of the main players stats for the season in all competitions, sorted by number of appearances. Not showing on the list are Moulin 4, Banana Yaya 2, Diomande 1(2) and Cisse 0(3), plus loaned out members of my squad (Drame and Akanbi) who will both be getting plenty of starts next season.

ASSaint-Etienne_SquadPlayers-5_zps577961c2.png

Transfer News

This business will be discussed in greater detail as things move forward, but the early activity has seen a few of my men making the news. Firstly, I have agreed a Bosman deal to sign the promising young goalkeeper Mattia Perin from Genoa. This move had been made when my reserve 'keeper Moulin had refused to enter talks on a contract extension. However, after the signing of the Italian was completed, Moulin then asked to be removed from the transfer list, and was happy enough to sign on for a further year. As a result of this, I'll probably allow Perin to go out on loan next season, just to get him familiar with the French league.

A confirmed and permanent departure is that of Rafinha, who will be heading to FC Porto for a total fee of £15m - structured as £5m upfront and £10m over 30 months. The Brazilian was a £2.5m signing last summer, and is clearly a good player, but wasn't a regular starter for me and so the fee was too good to be turned down. Another man who doesn't look like staying with the club is Hamouma, as we couldn't get close to agreeing a wage that would satisfy all parties for next season. I'm slightly disappointed that he won't remain with us, but the new deal demanded wasn't value for money in my eyes.

Cheers Tiger. Yes, I think that will be a big ask. I'd be delighted to retain the title as PSG are very strong domestically and go far in Europe every season. Realistically, I'd just take qualification for the Champions League again (ideally top 2) as success in Europe is not really expected.

I'm looking to give more starts to the great crop of young players I've been developing carefully. I think I had about £42m transfer budget left over last season, but can't see myself being very active in the market as I'm fairly well served by my existing group.

Update

I'm in pre-season friendly mode, and have a conundrum. Shakhtar offered me £10m for Michy Batshuayi, which I successfully negotiated to £20m upfront. There is no loan-back clause on the agreed deal and I've delayed completion for a week whilst I make my final decision.

For added background, I have a £46m transfer budget for season 4 so I don't need to sell to raise funds. I have accepted £3.5m for the sale of another striker, Innocent Emeghara (bought for £2.25m) and decided not to extend the loan of Bafetimbi Gomis (although I could do that, or purchase him for £1.4m if necessary).

That would leave me with three great young prospects that I picked up cheaply over the first three seasons, and I am very keen to give them all regular starts. The trio are Salim Cisse (age 23, value £4.7m), Ibrahima Drame (age 20, value £3.7m) and Taofeek Akanbi (age 21, value £1.5m). They're all on long-term contracts (three or four years remaining) and I've been playing with just one lone striker until now so that should be enough depth. Even if I revert to twin strikers, I think I have enough to get through with the aid of some reserves.

Batshuayi has accepted a wage of £74k p/w in Ukraine, which is double what I am paying him. He is currently valued at £9.75m, and contracted to 2018 with an optional one year extension for the club. Purchased for £5m at the start of season 1, he is now aged 23, and has scored 35 goals from 93 Ligue 1 appearances at the club. The first season included lots of brief appearances from the bench which distorts the figure, but on three separate occasions now he has gone on long spells without a goal. Last season he reached over 20 hours at one point, and over 13 on another occasion, whilst he ended season 2 without a goal in the last 9/10 matches too.

The frustration of those recurring spells makes me think it's a good deal to take (if I had the one year loan-back I wouldn't even question it) but there is just a slight concern that I would be expecting my three promising but relatively untried men to fire us to Champions League qualification again. The board might not appreciate if we don't retain the French title or make the top three (we won it last year after two 2nd placed finishes), and also if our Champions League performances slip (last year beaten finalists, and the year before we made the semi-final stage). Having said that, I'm really looking to involve more of the younger fringe players this time around and feel I can still reach reasonable heights with a good number of them in the side.

Whilst I'm still tempted to conclude the deal, I thought I'd pause and save to see if anybody has any views on it.

Season 4 - Opening stages

It's time for another update, and that comes with news of the decision made on the future of the enigmatic Batshuayi.

Again, there was quite a lot of transfer activity in the summer transfer window, but more outward bound than inward. The club gets great youth intakes, so after a few seasons I have been able to assess many of the players that started out in our Reserve and U19 squads. Basically, only the best can make the cut, as it's important not to block the progress of the new prospects.

I'm pretty cash-rich now (£46m transfer kitty, with £100k p/w spare wages) after several seasons of sustained success domestically, plus better-than-expected progress in Europe. However, I'm loyal to my players, and any new recruits need to fit in with what I consider to be 'realism' - e.g. players that the club might acquire IRL and from the same regions (which is mainly France and Africa). Luckily I'm quite familiar with African players, so that helps me to pick up some exciting young talent there.

Transfers Out

Transfers: Rafinha (FC Porto, £15m), Innocent Emeghara (ESTAC Troyes, £3.5m), Daniel Amartey (Stade Rennais, £3m), Lynel Kitambala (FC Lorient, £750k)

Free Transfers: Romain Hamouma (ESTAC Troyes), Idriss Saadi, Axel Kacou, Elian Tack, Florian Thalamy, Nabil Ejenavi, Florian Milla, Quentin Vandamme, Ruben Aguilar, Thibault Balp, Romain Russier, Jean-Baptiste Massimi, Selim Kayaci, Koceila Kara (all released)

Loans: Mattia Perin (£200k p/m), Eirik Birkelund (£5k p/m), Jeremy Vachoux

Summary: The sales of Rafinha, Emeghara and Amartey all gave me good profits, and I had enough depth to absorb their exits. Kitambala was not likely to get to the levels desired, and would have been free to leave on a Bosman at the end of the season anyway. Hamouma also left after three good years of service, but his demands for an improved contract were unrealistic given his age. You will see from that list that Batshuayi is not included - and that is because I tried to have my cake and eat it. Caught in two minds over taking the cash or utilising his obvious potential, concerned that my young alternatives may flounder, and the fact that I may coax some form out of him with a change of formation or role, I asked Shakhtar to delay the signing again. This was done because I decided that I wanted to add on a loan-back clause and 10% of any future sale, in addition to the £20m upfront. On learning this, they sudddenly lost interest and so I kept him at the club - you will soon read about how that turned out.

Transfers In

Mattia Perin (Genoa, free)

An excellent young Italian goalkeeper with plenty of first team experience already in Serie A. Snapped up on a Bosman free, he is one for the future and was immediately loaned out to FC Porto. They agreed to pay his £25k p/w salary and a sizeable fee of £200k p/m for his services, which suits me perfectly. He will come back for the start of next season upon Moulin's release.

Razak Khalfan (Young Africans, £190k compensation)

A nominal compensation fee was paid to acquire Khalfan from his club side in Tanzania. A player with little known pedigree, but somebody familiar to me, he becomes the latest young striker from Africa to join the club. He links up with the Reserve squad.

Christopher Glombard (Stade de Reims, £6m)

The only one of the three signings that will be in the first team squad this term, and the arrival of the 27 year old Frenchman for that kind of fee is probably an interesting choice. I felt his ability to play effectively anywhere down the right flank was going to be valuable. Whether at right-back, wing-back, wide midfielder or winger, he can be trusted to deliver consistent performances. His club initially agreed a p/ex deal including Aleksic and Baysse, but the latter did not accept their salary offer so the move fell through. Baysse could leave for free at the end of the season though, and was in talks with another club over a £1.4m transfer at the time too, so I needed to have options there in the event that he left. To be fair, I also had a £7.5m deal agreed for Serge Aurier, but he was only going to be useful defensively, wanted double the wages of Glombard, and was unlikely to accept a rotational role with me. Therefore it made sense to go with the slightly older man on this occasion.

Season 4 - Opening stages: Squad review, results and Ligue 1 table

Pre-season went very well - including an enjoyable tour around Africa and a game against the re-formed New York Cosmos. However, when the time came we made a fairly slow start to the regular season. Like last season, Batshuayi had been hot in pre-season as I tried to implement a 442 in the hope that having a partner would sort him out. He looked to benefit from this early on, and duly netted in the season opener - but sadly has not scored since. He didn't perform or score either in a 442, or again when I reverted to my preferred 4321, regardless of what role I gave him. Unfortunately his lack of form is not that surprising anymore, and in recent weeks he was first dropped to the bench, and now misses out on the matchday squad altogether. I've decided to test his resolve in the Reserve team now, where hopefully he can flourish and regain some confidence. Meanwhile, my young starlet Drame has been able to fire in my usual system, and has now taken the lead role after an early season injury. The back-up to him comes from Cisse, Akanbi and Batshuayi - probably in that order now.

Here are the current profiles of Drame and Batshuayi. The youngster is coming along nicely having signed for free in season 1, but it's still hard to see how he can easily out-perform the more established player.

IbrahimaDrameacute_OverviewAttributes-2_zps4b4f7be0.png

MichyBatshuayi_OverviewAttributes-2_zpsbb2a97f9.png

I've given some starts and other opportunities to 19 year old Allan Saint-Maximin on the flanks, although Tabanou and Gradel (plus Glombard) will probably take most of the burden here. The central midfield area is patrolled by Guilavogui and Vainqueur, with Cohade usually joining them. Corgnet and Diomande provide support, with Yougouda also available if things get bad.

In defence, Banana Yaya now starts on a regular basis alongside Zouma in the centre as Bayal and Perrin both enter the twilight of their careers. Zouma has been promoted from the role of VC, taking over the captaincy from Perrin. The long-term skipper was reluctant to hand over but is now VC, although he is no longer a regular starter. Baysse has responded well to my attempts to move him on, and has put heavy pressure on Nery for the right-back role, whilst Pogba has done the same to Ghoulam on the left. Ruffier remains excellent between the sticks, and Moulin has one more year as understudy before leaving on a free - at which point Perin will return from loan.

The home win over AS Monaco in Ligue 1 was revenge for the French 'Champions Trophy' defeat against them, and was massive as it ended their 100% league record to that point. Now firmly back in the groove again with my old 4321 formation (after a bit of experimentation), the league form has picked up nicely and we sit tucked in just behind the leaders from the principality. We've had a few injuries to contend with, but remain unbeaten so far and hold a slim advantage over PSG who are failing to convert draws in to wins so far.

Our Champions League progress is in our own hands. A great 0-0 draw in Barcelona was followed up by a disappointing 1-1 draw at home to Lazio, where we squandered the lead. The other team in our group is Kyiv from Ukraine.

ASSaint-Etienne_FixturesSchedule-21_zpsa2ae3ddb.png

Ligue1_OverviewStages-12_zps923ae643.png

Other news:

The reserves are now back in a playable league again (CFA-B) and having those regular fixtures means I can avoid having to arrange weekly friendlies, which was very time-consuming. I've promoted some of the better youth players (who have been representing the French youth teams for a year or two now) in to this team - hopefully this will aid their development further. Club finances are excellent, and this is how it stands right now.

ASSaint-Etienne_BoardroomFinances-3_zpse4879b2c.png

Thanks guys, yes it's going well so far.

I have kept my 4321 with anchorman, 2 x central midfielders (BWM & B2B), two wingers and one striker. I used alot of the suggestions from the thread maker, but changed a few things that I felt might serve me better. How are you two getting on now?

P.S. Sorry that my screenshots have gone. I had no idea that photobucket had a bandwidth limit for 'linking', and didn't really want to pay for unlimited services (as I'm using less than 1% of the storage limit). I guess there is a way around this that I'm not yet aware of.

Okay end of season four.

Ligue 1 Finished 1st with 88pts ten clear of second place PSG. Won 27 Drew 7 lost 4 Goal difference of +44. My defence was the key conceding 16 throughout the whole campaign. Ruffier had the most clean sheets (19). Tabanou won player of the season and also scored goal of the season.

Champions league. Finished 3rd in the group behind Juventus and Frankfurt but above Valencia. Qualified for the Europa cup. Put out Slovan Bratislava then reading before facing OM in the QF. 1-0 in both legs before putting them out on penalties. Monaco in the SF who I beat 2-0 in each leg. In the final met PSG but beat them 2-1 the winner comingfrom Saint Maximin with a penalty in the 74th min.

League cup. Got o the 4th round before losing in a penalty shootout to Lyon.

French cup. Won it beating Guingamp 1-0. On the way I put Lyon out in the QF on penalties.

I got manager of the year. Four players got into the team of the year.

Really enjoyed this career but may start another with the latest database.

Arab: Congrats on a very impressive 4th season, and I agree it's a great club to manage. I'm still on 14.2.2 too, so will be very interested to see how you find the latest database if you update.

I've not had an opportunity to progress much due to another relocation, but am ready to complete my 4th season now. It's February and there is only one point between the top four of PSG, ASSE, OM and AS Monaco. I'm leading Arsenal 1-0 from the home leg of the Champions League 1st Knockout Round, so that's in the balance, and still in both French Cups.

Batshuayi has become a completely different player, he just cannot score (1 this season) and struggles to make my matchday squad at all now. On a positive note, Ibrahima Drame is now worth £5.5m (signed for free in season 1) and is my top scorer and second or third in the Ligue 1 goals chart. Allan Saint-Maximin is also scoring well in his first campaign in the main squad.

There were no new signings in the January transfer window, as I am satisfied with my squad. I don't think anybody left either, but Bayal will join Standard Liege at the end of the season when his contract expires with us. He's been excellent over the first four seasons, but I have Banana Yaya who is younger and more agile - a perfect partner for Zouma. Also, Moulin, Baysse, Corgnet, Cohade and Gradel are likely to be released after the end of the season. With the exception of Moulin, they still get games (especially Cohade) and do well, but it's not likely they will accept reduced contracts, and they're no longer going to be 'vital' components of the team. Batshuayi is being offered out for around £15m despite his value dropping to about £8m - hopefully I can get a decent fee before anybody realises how poor he has become!

I'll do a proper update soon.

Season 4 review

I’ve heard of the three R’s before, but I’ve just experienced the four E’s in my 4th season in charge of this club: Eventful. Exciting. Emotional. Exhausting.

Here is the full breakdown of the results and scorers for the 2016/2017 season, with the exception of the final two matches - these will be addressed separately below.

ASSaint-Etienne_FixturesSchedule-22_zpsbc4f838d.png

ASSaint-Etienne_FixturesSchedule-25_zpsf4a47b2c.png

ASSaint-Etienne_FixturesSchedule-24_zpsdc6dd4ff.png

Ligue 1

For a long time, four teams were in contention for the league title, but eventually PSG pulled ahead of the pack. We were always their nearest challengers, but our successful progress in all other competitions gave us a fixture pile-up towards the end of the season, with postponements and re-arranged fixtures galore. Despite this, we had a real chance to overtake the French and European powerhouse as both Ligue 1 fixtures against them took place in the latter stages of the season. The first, at the end of March, saw us struggle to a 0-0 draw on home territory as they kept their noses in front by a few points. The crunch return in Paris followed during a crazy period in May, where we were playing every few days - and were beset by injuries, suspensions and general tiredness. I recall one crucial match in that spell where we had eight first team regulars out, several others unfit, and three or four reserves had to populate the bench to make up the numbers. That factor contributed to performances, and we could only earn a 1-1 draw against them in the season-defining match. This effectively meant we would require a slip up on their part to help us bridge the gap. By the time we caught up on games played, we trailed PSG by two points, going in to the last league game of the season – and they had a slightly superior goal difference too. In the end, we came away with a 0-0 draw at Montpellier in the final round of matches, whilst the Champions-elect grabbed a 1-0 win over 3rd placed Marseille, to take the title by an eventual gap of four points. In my four seasons so far, we have finished second to them on three occasions now, with the only exception being last term when we reversed those positions.

Here is the final league table, which as you can see shows we managed to go the whole season undefeated. We apparently now hold the French record, stretching to 44 league games in Ligue 1 since we tasted defeat. Unfortunately there were a few too many draws in there this time, especially during the second half of the season, so we could not retain our crown.

Ligue1_OverviewStages-13_zps0431d4e6.png

Champions League

Having emerged from our group containing Barcelona, Lazio and Dynamo Kyiv, we took a 1-0 home leg lead over Arsenal in to the second leg, and came away with a great 1-1 draw after taking an early lead. Next up, we had the mighty Bayern Munich to tackle, with the first leg in Germany. We took the lead twice, but as I was preparing to settle for a satisfying draw, we grabbed a late winner to earn an amazing 3-2 win. That set us up for a more comfortable home return than I would have imagined, as I couldn’t see them scoring two without us notching. In the end we did lose 1-0 in France, but that first leg stunner saw us through on away goals. The semi-final saw us paired with Real Madrid, and after an even 1-1 draw at home, I was convinced our ride was finally over. That expectation turned out to be false though, as a 68th minute Zouma header gave us an unlikely 1-0 win in Spain. We had reached back-to-back Champions League finals, and our opponents were going to be, as last year, our old rivals PSG!

Domestic Cups

The Coupe de la Ligue fixtures were spaced out fairly nicely, but my team selection for the final – also against PSG, of course – was severely influenced by the fact that we would face them again in the vital Ligue 1 clash at their home just two days after this final! In the end, we put up a brave fight with a heavily rotated side, before losing out 2-1 in extra time. Their winner came from a direct corner taken by Raheem Stirling, so was unlucky on us to say the least. Stirling - part of their Premier League recruitment drive that included Amat, Wanyama, Mirallas, Lukaku, Benteke and Bony - also scored the opener, a floated ball in to the box which Ruffier failed to claim under heavy pressure from the challenge/assault of their striker. More surprising than the defeat - to me at least - was that our goal came from Batshuayi. Even allowing for the fact that it was a penalty, he was only selected because of the rotation needed, and also because he had scored in his previous match – the winner in the 1-0 French Cup semi-final victory over Lorient. That made it two goals in two games for the misfit Belgian – a remarkable feat considering his only other goal in the entire campaign had been on the opening day of the Ligue 1 season. So, the final match of the season would be the French Cup Final, taking place a few days after the Champions League showpiece event. I felt buoyed by the fact that our opponents would be Marseille, and not PSG for once.

Champions League Final

ParisSaint-GermainvASSaint-Etienne_OverviewOverview_zpsf052519f.png

We faced PSG in the final at Camp Nou, just a few days after they had claimed the French title at our expense. I felt it was the perfect opportunity for revenge, however as I came to select my team, I saw there was a problem. Unfortunately my main striker, Drame, was not anywhere near full fitness, but I decided to start with him anyway. Despite his condition, my main man levelled the scores superbly after a direct Pastore free-kick had put PSG ahead. I had to replace him at the interval though, and our lack of cutting edge was eventually punished when Rabiot scored midway through the second period to enable PSG to retain their trophy with a 2-1 final score.

French Cup Final

ASSaint-EtiennevOM_OverviewOverview_zps962e80c8.png

Six days after the disappointment in Barcelona, we had our last opportunity to claim a trophy from this long and gruelling season. Marseille gave us a hand when they deflected home a free-kick early on, but they quickly restored parity. Drame did what he does best though, and he put as back in front just before the break. We looked comfortable after that, and finally sealed the 3-1 win when Banana Yaya converted from a trademark Tabanou set-piece in stoppage time. The third goal added some gloss to the result, but we were worthy winners, and finally had some silverware to show for a season where we had been competitive in every format.

Player Reviews

Kurt Zouma and Franck Tabanou are familiar names in the ‘best’ category. Both have been consistently impressive since I joined the club, and this year they have been joined by Ligue 1’s top goalscorer, Ibrahima Drame. The young striker had an exceptional ‘first’ season after being chosen to lead the line in attack. I’d developed him carefully over three seasons since he signed for me on a free transfer as a raw 17 year-old, and felt this was the time to give him centre stage. He certainly didn’t disappoint, and I’m hopeful he might become a club legend if he keeps that form up. I’ve also given plenty of game time to winger Allan Saint-Maximin, who was a major force until sustaining a broken foot in early April (absence of up to five months expected). He was at the club when I took over, and after excelling in my U19 and Reserve teams, he really grasped the opportunity during his first season in the main squad.

Here are the seasonal player stats for all players in all competitions. It's worth mentioning that Ruffier played every minute of every match (62 games), whilst only one striker appears on this screenshot (Drame). The list has been sorted in order of appearances, so not showing are: Michy Batshuayi 12(17) and 3 goals, Taofeek Akanbi 10(17) and 4 goals, Salim Cisse 6(13) and 3 goals, Alexis Yougouda 2(3), Pierre-Yves Polomat 2(1) and Danijel Aleksic 1(1).

ASSaint-Etienne_SquadPlayers-6_zps3cb6381a.png

And here is an updated screenshot of Ligue 1's top goalscorer during season 2016/2017 - not bad for a rookie kid snapped up in season 1 on a free transfer...

IbrahimaDrameacute_OverviewAttributes-3_zps1a7f16ca.png

Transfers and Contracts

I have renewed contracts (on reduced terms) for squad players Benjamin Corgnet and Paul Baysse. Renaud Cohade will remain at the club in a new role as player/coach. Although his appearances will be infrequent from now on, I feel he is a good influence to keep around. Senior players departing at the end of their contracts will be Moustapha Bayal (joining Standard Liege) and Jessy Moulin, whilst Danijel Aleksic and Max Gradel look likely to follow suit.

There have been no new signings since August last year, and there are currently no new players on the horizon. I will review this again as pre-season begins, but the squad is pretty much where I want it to be unless anything exceptional comes up. There may be a need for a better box-to-box midfielder with some attacking capabilities, and if one of the better Frenchmen becomes available, at the right age and for sensible money, I may make an offer. I’m aware that I do have Corgnet and Yougouda for this role (plus the veteran Cohade as back-up), but there might be a better option to tempt me. I may also look to replace Gradel if he leaves, as it’s useful to have four wingers in the squad.

Other News

My long-serving Assistant Manager, Alain Blachon, has announced his retirement and will leave in June 2017. His first coaching role at the club was back in 1984, and he held numerous positions in various spells at the club since then. He finally returned for good in 2007 as Director of Football, before becoming Assistant Manager in 2010 - a duty he has performed admirably until this date. I’ve not yet decided who will replace him, but ideally I would like to promote from within.

Season 5 review, part 1

The winter transfer window has just closed, so unless there is any more movement during the French 'joker' window, it's a good time to report on the summer and winter deals. I've also been busy with player contracts and made some minor changes to my staff as indicated at the end of my last post.

Transfer timeline

19/06/2017 - IN - Gennaro Tutino (Napoli, £3m). A highly-rated young Italian winger that I've been following for a few seasons. With Gradel at that time refusing to accept a reduced deal to stay, I felt he would boost numbers and hopefully challenge for a starting place later in the season. As it transpired, injuries gave him an early chance in the team and he grabbed it with both hands to make the right-wing slot his own. Gradel did eventually agree to stay with us, but long after this one had been sealed.

30/06/2017 - OUT - Jessy Moulin, Danijel Aleksic, Romain Spano (all released)

01/07/2017 - OUT - Moustapha Bayal (Standard Liege, free transfer)

29/07/2017 - OUT - Baptiste Valette (Chamois Niortais, loan to feeder club)

25/08/2017 - IN - Jessy Moulin (free agent). A surprising return for my reserve 'keeper of four seasons. Originally he was only going to be 3rd choice if he had stayed, so he left when his contract expired less than two months prior. Perin, who had been signed on a free one year earlier and loaned out for a season, was to be understudy and eventually take over from Ruffier. However, after playing the majority of pre-season matches, Perin himself asked to leave the club. An offer of £6m was accepted for the Italian, and I delayed for one week as I looked around at alternatives. Moulin was still unattached and willing to re-join on a reduced one-year deal, so I took him back on and cashed in my chips on the ungrateful Perin a few days later.

31/08/2017 - OUT - Mattia Perin (Atalanta, £6m)

31/08/2017 - IN - Dimitri Payet (Olympic Marseille, loan fee £65k p/m and 50% wage contribution). I'm always interested in bringing back former club favourites, and with his ability to play on both flanks, I thought he would be a useful and cheap one-season support player. He's a regular in the squad, but often has to rely on substitute appearances or Cup matches to remind the ASSE fans of his attacking talents. A luxury signing, but there isn't any intention to try and make this a permanent deal.

02/09/2017 - OUT - Paul Baysse (Club Brugge, loan fee £43k p/m and 100% wage contribution)

05/10/2017 - IN - Benjamin Stambouli (Montpellier HSC, £6.5m). A very capable and consistent performer in central defence or as a defensive midfielder, and an ideal replacement for the departed Bayal. A rotational player for now, he is unlucky not to be starting every match. In the meantime, he's a valuable bench-man due to his versatility in two roles, and he is next in line for both of those positions.

05/01/2018 - OUT - Paul Baysse (Club Brugge, £1.8m)

31/01/2018 - OUT - Benjamin Corgnet (Lierse, £1.5m)

With some additional regens loaned out for fees, our sales had exactly matched the £9.5m spending, meaning all of my business in the last two windows was concluded at no expense to the club. This leaves £55m of unused transfer funds and £168k p/w spare wage budget available, as I continue to maintain a very strict ceiling on player earnings.

Contracts

Despite the early signing of Tutino, I had a change of heart and decided to stay loyal to Gradel by offering him a reduced deal to stay at the club a while longer. Unfortunately for him, the subsequent arrival on loan of Payet has pushed him right down the pecking order and as 5th choice wide man he is not able to get pitch time at the moment. I'm willing to agree a sale now but there have been no takers for him yet, so he will be kept on and probably get the odd appearance next season when Payet moves on. I don't like allowing good servants like him to leave for free so probably show a little too much sentiment when it comes to offering new contracts. However, I don't feel so bad if I can then get a fee for them, as was done in the case of Baysse and Corgnet. Of the other veterans, Cohade stayed on as a player/coach and is with the reserves now, whilst Loic Perrin will stay on at the club as a back-up member of the first team squad until he accepts a staff role.

Meanwhile, the likes of Yougouda, Akanbi, Birkelund, Tutino and Saint-Maximin are looking to establish themselves alongside Zouma, Drame, Banana Yaya, Batshuayi, Diomande, Nery, Ghoulam, Guilavogui, Pogba and Stambouli, who are all valuable and talented players in (or about to enter) their prime years. All of those mentioned are aged 20-27, so the main squad has a really good youthful feel to it now.

One promising young player not mentioned so far is Salim Cisse, a striker signed for £600k some years back. He's currently valued at £6.25m despite a lack of appearances (through no fault of his own). With limited opportunities coming his way as my 4th choice striker, I'm now willing to accept offers in the region of £5m for his services. This reluctant decision was influenced by the fact that I've just agreed a pre-contract deal for French U21 international striker Neal Maupay. He will arrive from OGC Nice on 1st July 2018, hence why I'm prepared to sanction the sale of the unlucky Cisse.

There are no player contracts expiring in 2018 (except for Payet's loan), but 2019 will see nine men up for renewal. I'm only prepared to lose one or two of those (Moulin and possibly Glombard), so there are interesting times ahead on Zouma, Guilavogui, Drame, Batshuayi, Saint-Maximin, Diomande and Banana Yaya. The highest earner of the club is currently Ruffier on £49k p/w, and only three top the £40k mark (a further four top £30k). Sadly, I have a feeling that is going to change in order to retain some of these younger prized possessions.

Staff changes

My long-serving Assistant Manager, Alain Blachon, retired at the end of season 4, but it didn't take long to find a worthy successor as my Chief Scout, Jacques Santini, was willing to move across. I then recruited the impressive Patrice Carteron to take on the vacant Chief Scout role, and added further Frenchmen to the staff in the form of Patrick Vieira (coach), Pierre-Alain Frau (coach), Francois Clerc (coach), Michael Ciani (U19 Assistant Manager), William Gallas (U19 coach) and Cedric Moukouri (scout).

Other news

I asked the board for a foreign feeder club, and after being allowed to pick one, I was delighted to link our club to Boca. I'm sure the Argentinians will provide some good talent in the future - but they may not have appreciated the 6-0 walloping I gave them in pre-season (five in the first half, I decided to ease off when the sixth went in after 48 minutes).

Season 5 results and scorers (to end of January 2018)

ASSaint-Etienne_FixturesSchedule-26_zps92fc9480.png

ASSaint-Etienne_FixturesSchedule-27_zpse6ad591b.png

I'm delighted with the results so far this season, which has been achieved despite a series of injuries and suspension disrupting the team. The main problem area has been in attack, where Drame or Batshuayi have missed large chunks of action, occasionally at the same time. Drame has never really had a decent run of games so has struggled to fire as many goals as he would have done, but Batshuayi has a good goals to games ratio and has shown much-improved form this term when available. Tutino has been the revelation, but I'd be far more happy if the crazy amount of set-piece goals from my trio of central defenders had been distributed to my strikers instead.

Consistent form has enabled us to open up a very good lead at the top of the table, the 1-0 loss at Marseille being the only league loss so far this season. That sole defeat was to a 94th minute goal from a corner when, technically, the stoppage time should have ended a minute before - a disappointing way to end our French league record of 55 games unbeaten, stretching over three seasons.

The exit in the Coupe de la Ligue was a blessing after last season's fixture pile-up ruined my end of season chances, and I won't be unhappy if we get knocked out of the French Cup either. In the Champions League, some great results saw us through the group with ease - and we will face Manchester United in the 1st Knockout Round.

Ligue1_OverviewStages-14_zps01aef2ad.png

I've now started a new career on the latest database with Nottingham Forest but am still following this thread with interest.

Well done with your career Jogo. Have to say I have been impressed with Stambouli and Maupay. I'm sure they will be great signings.

Cheers Arab, much appreciated and I hope they perform at the same level as the others.

Good luck with Forest, I hope you enjoy the new ME and database. Feel free to post in here whether you continue with ASSE or not, so that I'm not talking to myself :lol:

I can see that they're already over their FFP limit, which I assume means that you can't spend much (if any) money?

Saint-Etienne? Maybe on the new updates (14.3), but certainly not the case on 14.2.2. Something must have changed drastically if that's the case now, as I never got even close to FFP limits.

Wow, that's a big surprise. In that case, the challenge on 14.3 would be very interesting. No doubt it would be more difficult, but the squad is strong enough to compete if you accept top-half finish.

A decent Europa League run and top-half finish, or a realistic Europa League qualification via your league position would soon boost your finances. I'm still on 14.2.2 so can't comment on how it goes on 14.3 - but I'd recommend it as a club you can really become fond of.

Just read the whole thread, great read. Your updates are brilliant Jogo, always quality.

I'm actually starting a new save in France with Racing Club Lens in Ligue 2, ill be keeping a close eye so I can take a note of these African gems!

Just read the whole thread, great read. Your updates are brilliant Jogo, always quality.

I'm actually starting a new save in France with Racing Club Lens in Ligue 2, ill be keeping a close eye so I can take a note of these African gems!

Cheers sir, much appreciated! It's been a really enjoyable save, and it's so easy to sign cheap and/or relatively unknown African starlets, which always makes it interesting for me. I load all players of African nationality when I manage in France.

RC Lens should be a great club to try and build back in to a decent Ligue 1 team. They must be amongst the favourites, so promotion in season 1 should be a very realistic target. I know some of the guys I signed are at different clubs on the new database (Yougouda should be at Nantes, Drame at Brann), but may well be available to you for peanuts or on loan. The likes of these two and Akanbi should be able to walk in to a Ligue 2 side from the off. Apart from the Africans, there are plenty of good young French players in Ligue 1 (for loan) and Ligue 2, if you have some funds. And, in Gbamin, you have a great little player to start off with too - enjoy!

Cracking update Jogo :thup: Nice to see the board let you pick your own feeder club :D

Cheers John. Yeah it was nice to have the freedom to pick, but there were so many choices, I wasn't quite sure where to go! For realism, a Brazilian side may have been more appropriate, but the much-admired Boca youth set-up won the day and hence I selected them instead.

what leagues do u have loaded in your save jogo_?

I just have all the French leagues loaded, nothing else. I prefer to have large databases of players (custom) so that I don't get frustrated by not being able to sign more obscure players.

I also don't like slowing the game down and general clutter of all the other leagues in my inbox. As I never do journeyman saves, there is no reason to have other leagues loaded (I do that in any country - e.g. when managing an English club, I just load up English leagues only).

Are you still managing Saint-Etienne? If so, how is it going? Did you have trouble with FFP rules?

Hey Jogo, I posted a few posts a couple of months back then vanished, as I didn't get into the save, but reading your posts again has got me to start a new game again! I will try my best to stick with it this time as I love your updates and enthusiasm :D

Hey Jogo, I posted a few posts a couple of months back then vanished, as I didn't get into the save, but reading your posts again has got me to start a new game again! I will try my best to stick with it this time as I love your updates and enthusiasm :D

Haha, thanks for the kind words Dave.

I've really enjoyed managing this club for the first time, and it will be great to have more posters joining in. We all like different clubs for different reasons so there's no obligation if it's just not right for you - but hopefully you will get in to it this time. If you enjoy it even half as much as I have, you'll be doing alright, I reckon.

If I remember correctly, you were going for it on 14.3? If so, one of the chaps says they had some FFP issues - which weren't apparent on 14.2 where I am still stuck.

If you want to share any banter, ideas or opinions that's cool - or if you want any advice or suggestions that's also fine. Most managers like to do things their own way and with their own tactics, formations, philosophies and players - personally I find it great to see diversity and different approaches/signings etc.

Anyway, I will look forward to hearing how you get on - good luck and I really hope you have fun with it!

I just have all the French leagues loaded, nothing else. I prefer to have large databases of players (custom) so that I don't get frustrated by not being able to sign more obscure players.

I also don't like slowing the game down and general clutter of all the other leagues in my inbox. As I never do journeyman saves, there is no reason to have other leagues loaded (I do that in any country - e.g. when managing an English club, I just load up English leagues only).

Are you still managing Saint-Etienne? If so, how is it going? Did you have trouble with FFP rules?

Okey.. thanks.. no a get problem with my computer so i need to start a new save.. but its okey.. =) its going well for u in your save i have to say. Great work!

Okey.. thanks.. no a get problem with my computer so i need to start a new save.. but its okey.. =) its going well for u in your save i have to say. Great work!

Thanks, yes it's going quite well for me. I will have an end of season update soon (season 5). Good luck with your computer problems.

Season 5 review (February 2018 - May 2018)

After having built up a comfortable cushion in Ligue 1, it was a fairly straightforward task to maintain the momentum from February onwards. The title was clinched in mid-April with a 4-0 thumping of AS Nancy Lorraine (I'm sure I knew that girl when I was younger...), and that allowed me to experiment with some different formations in the final few fixtures. Despite this, we managed to finish with 91 points - a massive 16 points ahead of PSG and AS Monaco - which was a fantastic achievement. We also claimed another domestic trophy, overcoming PSG on penalties to win the French Cup again.

ASSaint-Etienne_FixturesSchedule-30_zpse13de011.png

Ligue1_OverviewStages-15_zps069e0bd6.png

Unfortunately, the worst European campaign in my five year tenure saw us eliminated from the Champions League at the Quarter Final stage in April. After a superb group stage, and home and away victories over Manchester United, I felt very confident heading to Naples with a 1-0 lead ahead of the second leg tie with Napoli. However, a second half goal from them levelled the scores, and they held their nerve to see us off on penalties. Unlucky, yes, and not a disaster by any means - but a bit of a let-down after the previous years showings.

ASSaint-Etienne_FixturesSchedule-29_zps01826379.png

With the league wrapped up early, and that exit from Europe, my main focus in the last few games was to try and find an effective way of twinning Drame and Batshuayi together in attack, without losing the defensive stability that I crave. Batshuayi finally decided to please me again this season, with a long-overdue return to form, and in doing so presented me with a nice little challenge. Both of those strikers had some injury troubles during the campaign, but due to having so much success with a counter-attacking 'lone striker' formation for five years, I usually could only start with one of them anyway. However, if they're both fit and on form, it's incredibly difficult to leave either of them out of the starting line up.

Batshuayi, with a late spree, ended as our top scorer in the league - 12 goals from just 9(15) appearances - closely followed by Drame with 11 from 28(4). Including the treble from his one appearance in the reserves (who walked the CFA-B league by a country mile), the enigmatic Batshuayi had a healthy looking stat - an average of a goal every 108 minutes.

Elsewhere in the squad, Tabanou was again the top assist maker in Ligue 1 (13), with impressive new signing Tutino joint second in that list (11). That wing pair also scored 8 and 9 league goals respectively. Zouma again had the highest average rating in Ligue 1, and I'd be amazed if he doesn't take all the major player awards. He notched 8 league goals too, making his presence felt at set-pieces, as did his partner Banana Yaya (also 8 league goals). Ruffier played every minute of every match (all competitions) for the second season running, and Yougouda finally had the opportunity to shine as a first team regular.

Here are the player stats for the season (all comps, sorted by number of appearances). Not showing in the list are Taofeek Akanbi 6(9) with 4 goals, Eirik Birkelund 6(4), Max Gradel 2(1) with 2 goals, and Salim Cisse 1(2).

ASSaint-Etienne_SquadPlayers-7_zpsa8b511b2.png

Other news

There are no players out of contract, but Payet will leave at the end of his loan spell. The squad is in a healthy state, but I'm adding three more young French talents to the group ahead of next season. Neal Maupay (OGC Nice) had already agreed to sign on a free transfer ahead of next season, and I'm also bringing in Anthony Martial for free from AS Monaco. Finally, I have Adrien Rabiot joining from PSG for a cut-price £2.5m. With the season only having ended today, it's too early to say that no more arrivals will follow, but it's extremely unlikely.

I've added a few more staff to the ranks, with ex-internationals Basile Boli and Cris joining as coaches, and Andre-Pierre Gignac starting as an U19 coach following his retirement.

• 2 weeks later...

capturedcran20101213090_zps1579c144.jpg

I'm now just entering the winter transfer window (season 6), so it's time for a quick update. I'll post a proper end of season review up when I complete the term.

Summer transfer window

During the last window, I added Keisuke Honda on loan (from AC Milan) and Serge Aurier (Toulouse, £5m) to the squad. Prior arrivals were as stated above - Martial and Maupay (free), plus Rabiot (£2.5m). None of these five are regular starters, but Honda and Rabiot have had a few games.

Leaving the club was Josuha Guilavogui, who hadn't shown a willingness to extend his contract. In view of that, when Juventus made an offer, I negotiated it up to £29m and let him move on. The only other departures were Razak Khalfan and Baptiste Valette (both loaned to feeder club Chamois Niortais).

I don't expect to try and bring anybody in during the current window (despite having almost £100m to spend), and in fact I would like to off-load a few. Topping that list are Gradel and Cisse - both are good enough to play, but the quality of the squad doesn't give them any opportunities to showcase their abilities.

Contracts

I had a whole host of players and staff with expiring contracts at the end of this season, so I got to work on this early. With finances in great shape, I could allow modest increases and so all of the staff and the majority of players were successfully tied up on long-term deals at the start of the campaign. It was good to retain our key assets, with the likes of Zouma, Drame, Batshuayi, Saint-Maximin and Banana Yaya amongst those happy to stay with the club.

Other players out of contract that refused new deals (Diomande, Glombard) were offered out for transfer and have not been selected for duty this season. I'm not prepared to pick them if they won't commit, but I haven't been able to coax any offers for their services. They will be allowed to leave at the end of the season, and there will be a few more reserve players joining them (Moulin, Khalfan and Messi amongst them).

Staff

My Assistant Manager (Jacques Santini) retired in the summer, so I promoted Bruno Martini (Reserves Manager) to the role. Stepping in to his shoes was one of my existing coaches (Michael Ciani), who continues to be assisted by Samuel Eto'o.

Following Ciani's role change, Sylvain Armand came in as a replacement coach. Elsewhere, Lilian Compan and David Hellebuyck joined the scouting network, whilst Frederic Mendy, Frederic Piquionne and Sebastien Degrange joined as U19 coaches. All six of these new men had affiliations to the club either as players or supporters, and that factor is something I always value.

The final staff arrival saw ex-Brazilian legend Kaka join as my U19 Assistant Manager. He boasts superb attributes and it was a real coup to welcome him to the club.

Performances on the pitch

saintetienne4_zps777f888a.jpg

After 19 games out of 38 played in Ligue 1, it's quite a familiar story - PSG are top (48 points) and we are second (44 points). It's probably a two-way battle again, but Monaco (38), Marseille (36) and Lyon (34) are not too far away at this stage.

We did manage to fend off PSG in the season opener (lifting the Champions Trophy), although it took penalties to do so after a 2-2 draw. We also knocked them out of the Coupe de la Ligue (Round 4) despite making nine changes to my team. They did, however, beat us 2-0 in our league encounter in Paris earlier in the season - and that's the one that really mattered.

We won through our Champions League group (top), overcoming Manchester City, Anderlecht and Steaua Bucharest. We've now been paired with Inter Milan in the 1st Knockout Round.

The key performers so far have been Zouma (winner of last season's French Player of the Season award, and an absolute rock again this term), Tabanou and Tutino (both supplying goals and assists from the flanks), and Batshuayi (scoring nicely again).

It's African Nations Cup time again now, so I will be losing Ghoulam, Aurier, Pogba and Yougouda for a month or so. It could have been worse though, as Drame was in the provisional Senegal squad but was a shock omission from the final selection, whilst Cisse and Banana Yaya had also been international regulars but will not be going. Gradel, Akanbi and Diomande weren't in the running for their respective nations - and Khalfan has the dubious distinction of representing Tanzania, so is therefore never going to be involved in any worthwhile tournament.

I've switched the formation around quite a bit this season, in order to give more players time on the pitch. Occasionally I've gone to attacking mode after five seasons of counter-attacking, and I'm also trying to pair Drame and Batshuayi as often as possible in attack.

Hopefully the bold approach might help me topple the mighty PSG again...

Saint-Etienne-Foxbase-Alp-002_zps395cb8cf.jpg

Archived