FM14 A.S. Roma - Mezzo giallo e mezzo rosso

shnen

Great thread! Might start a save with Roma, I love clubs with a heart.

I'm just a bit put off by Italy's co-ownership rules, it's something that i've never been able to wrap my head around fully

In case you do decide to start a save, this thread explains co-ownership quite nicely.

http://www.thedugout.tv/community/showthread.php?t=19076

Anybody had any success with the tactics? I am conceding a lot even after setting counter attack + retain possession and training for defensive positioning almost 2 months now..

Can you post a screenshot of your tactical setup?

• 1 month later...

So, the new update with the database changes is out.

Strootman looks a lot better than he did before the update, but the rest of the team hasn't changed much, if at all. However, most of the new additions to the first team look very promising, and there are now several brilliant talents out on loan/co-ownership and in the youth team. In terms of potential the best of the youth/reserves seem to be Tony Sanabria (out on loan at Sassuolo), Alessio Romagnoli, Nemanja Radonjic, Petar Golubovic (out on loan at Novara), Leandro Paredes (out on loan at Chievo) and Elio Capradossi. All of those have 4-4.5 star potential. Several other players have 3-3.5 star potential, which for the current squad means that they could potentially be Serie A stars in the future according to the coaches.

The current wage bill is quite high at £1.1M, but that is £200k per week less than it was before. It's probably best to try to reduce this still, for example by sending home Michel Bastos, whose £65k wages far exceed his ability.

Anyone looking to start a new save with Roma?

With the 2 Milan clubs being fairly represented within the game (both currently mediocre) and in-game Napoli blowing hot and cold, I think Serie A is one of the easier leagues to grab a CL spot. The only clubs I have problems against are Juve, Livorno and Sampdoria. Imo apart from Juve, Roma are considerably stronger than the rest. The only thing I think you need is an extra striker and maybe a back-up defender. And both can be bought for a combine fee of just under £3m (Ezequiel Rescaldani and Bellusci)

Anyone been playing as these on the latest update? Started a game as them today, they have a great squad, good mix of top experienced players like Totti and De Rossi, and exciting youths involved in the first team like Florenzi, Jedvaj, Destro and Dodo. They also have some wonderkids like Tony Sanabria and Leandro Paredes out on loan, on top of loads of quality youth on their books from before.

I had a disastrous start, losing firstly 1-0 to Sassuolo, then getting murdered 3-0 by Sampdoria and 4-1 by Verona. I've followed up with a good 2-0 win over Torino and somehow snatched a 2-1 win over Milan, with Florenzi scoring the winners in both games.

How much do you start with in Roma now on the update? I like the sound of them, but can't stand teams that start with no money.

They start off with about £5m.

My game was very short lived, ended up getting the sack in October, I'm so gutted as this was the first game in a while where I was so excited to get to the end of the first season so I could sort out the team :( For some reason, De Sanctis was terrible for me, constantly letting in easy goals and making costly mistakes, for the last few games I had to put in Skorupski in goal, who we had 2 wins with, then I decided to give Morgan another go and we lost again! Leandro Castan was also horrific for me and was regularly getting scores of 6.3, so I had to replace him with Tin Jedvaj starting in the line up. I got sacked on the basis of a 2-2 draw with Lazio scoring in the last minute, and only 4 points seperating 4th-18th, so thought it was very harsh!

I'm really tempted by a save with Roma but the board frustrate me. I had a game with them last year and after five games, my job was insecure (2W, 1D, 2L). It doesn't sound like they have changed.

The only real issue people will run into is the huge amount of average staff Roma have on their payroll. Most are on insane contracts, so it's not as if you can just mutually terminate their contracts and not feel the pinch. I bit the bullet and released almost all of the staff and brought in my own at the expense of buying in more players 1st season.

If you go down the same route, I would strongly advise you don't bring in many players. Otherwise you go into the red in no time.

I'm playing a 4-3-3 (4-5-1/4-1-2-2-1) and had no succes at all. It's the best tactic I see for the Roma squad and I'm trying to do a tactic like the Rudi Garcia's but nothing works. Maybe it's the ME, I don't think I am doing something wrong. I'm thinking about updating to 14.3 to see if my problem can be solved just by the little changes the patch has done. Anyone confirm this or should I look more improvements to my tactics, even updating the game? I'm playing the 14.1.3 version or something like that..

I'm playing a 4-3-3 (4-5-1/4-1-2-2-1) and had no succes at all. It's the best tactic I see for the Roma squad and I'm trying to do a tactic like the Rudi Garcia's but nothing works. Maybe it's the ME, I don't think I am doing something wrong. I'm thinking about updating to 14.3 to see if my problem can be solved just by the little changes the patch has done. Anyone confirm this or should I look more improvements to my tactics, even updating the game? I'm playing the 14.1.3 version or something like that..

Well I started my game on the latest patch and have been using a 4-3-3/4-5-1 formation and I got sacked 7 games in with the team being terribly defensively and really struggling to score goals, so I guess its exactly the same...

• 4 weeks later...

Started a save yesterday, struggling to find a new striker at this point. I'm playing Ljajic/Totti up front simply because I have no other striker.. I promoted Nicolas Lopez because I've picked him up on a free transfer in my last save & I know he has some room to develop. Ideally I want Gabriel Barbosa or Berardi, but can't afford them yet :(

Just finished my first season with Roma.

Serie A

League table

What a thrilling ride this year has been. The top 4 kept changing during the season, everyone lost points here & there.

The championship was decided on the very last day, in front of our own fans we managed to keep our 1 point lead on Samp.

Italian cup

We were unlucky to go out on pens against Juve. Only player that missed was newly signed Carlos Fierro. I felt for the kid because he's been finding the net easily otherwise. Suppose the pressure got a bit much.

Transfers

Incoming

I've been looking for a new striker since day 1, because we only had Totti & given his age/fitness I needed someone else.

I would've preferred Domenico Berardi or Gabriel Barbosa but I could afford neither. In the end I went for Fierro in the January window and I have to say I'm thoroughly pleased with him. He's been very good at putting away chances (in spite of some blatant misses) he's scored 12 this season which is impressive I'd say, given that he's only been with us since January. He's had no trouble at all adapting/fitting in.

Outgoing

Sold Torosidis because I'd switch between tactics having 3 CBs or 4 at the back, so Maicon was all I needed really. When Lille put in an offer for my backup RB, I didn't hesitate.

Tactics

3-6-1

4-5-1

I've actually used the '3-6-1' most since January, it's kind of what we evolved to. Served us very well. It is a bit risky against 4-2-3-1s though and I don't think I'll be using this in the Champions League much next year.

Totti

I've been very keen on giving Il Re di Roma the sending off he deserves this year. He's been an integral part of the team. Before the January window he played as our sole striker. When I brought in Fierro he played as treq behind Fierro.

Francesco bagged 12 goals this season & took all our set pieces.

The crown jewel was the last game of the season. He was awarded MoTM with 1 goal & an assist in the game that won us the title.

. I bot laughed & fistpumped when this one found the back of the net.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Just loaded up an old Roma load, its FMC but the aim is to go with a completely Italian squad, January transfer window in season 2 has just closed. Finished 4th in the 1st Season, 5 off Milan in 3rd but a whopping 19 behind Juventus.

1st Season saw Pjanic out for £22m, with Verratti (£11.5m) and Sirigu (£3.9m) in from PSG and Simeone (£3.2m) in from River Plater - that one was before I had decided on going full Italian.

2nd season then saw a huge amount of change, with £66m brought in through transfer fees, notably Strootman (£22m), Nainggolan (£2.7m), Castan (£3m), Gervinho (£7.25m), Torosidis (£1.5m), Jose Angel (£2.5m), Marquinho (£2.8m), Ljajic (£10m), Paredes (£1.9m) and Dodo (£4m) - some not as big fees as possible but was looking to move as many of the foreigners out quickly.

£42.4m was then spent on bringing in Italian talent, Bonaventura (£8m), Murru (Free), Marrone (£1.2m), Gabbiadini (Juve's 50% for £5m), Forestieri (£5.5m), Immobile (£2m Torino's 50%), Minotti (£1.8m), Schelotto (£5.5m), Saponara (£5m Milans 50%), Capuano (£2.5m), Fossati (£5.75) - not completely happy with all these purchases but was needing to fill the squad out, regret paying so much for Fossati and Schelotto, and with Schelotto and Forestieri born in Argentina they will likely be moving on at end of Season 2.

Only non-Italians remaining in the 1st team are Maicon - couldn't find any takers, Jedvaj - wanted to progress a bit before selling at a higher price, Benatia - couldn't get a good price but will be leaving at end of Season 2, Simeone - out on loan for season but will be looking to sell at end of Season 2, Skorupski - 3rd choice GK.

All the above plus the young non-Italian guys in the reserves will hopefully go out at end of the season.

Currently playing a 3-4-2-1 with CWB's, squad currently the below:

GK - Sirigu, De Sanctis

DC - Benatia, Caprodossi

DC - Romangnoli, Marrone

DC - Capuano, Jedvaj

RWB - Bonaventura (Currently awkward at CWB but playing well so hopefully accomplished soon), Schelotto

LWB - Murru, Frascatore

CM - De Rossi, Fossati

CM - Verratti, Marrone

AMC - Forestieri, Totti

AMC - Florenzi, Saponara

ST - Destro, Immobile

Squad: Balzaretti, Verre, Adamo, Maicon, Skorupski

End of season will look to try and get Bertolacci, Saponara, Gabbiadini, Marrone, Caprari and Immobile in full - but really depends on funds available, and will be looking for CB's to replace Benatia and Jedvaj...

2nd season has been a bit of a struggle with so many young players and changes from the previous season, but hoping for top 3, and a good Europa League run, I have Standard in the 1st knockout round.

Currently enjoying a Roma save. After 4 seasons with AC Milan winning everything I fell out with the new chairman and quit. After spending one seasons unemployed the Roma job came available so i applied and got it. Currently sitting on top of the table in first season with 10 games to go :-) This is what my team currently looks like:

GK: Bergovic

DC: Romangnoli

DC: Gonzalez (newgen)

DL: Oveido

DR: Murru

MC: Regoli (newgen)

MC: De Rossi (35 now, still quality though)

AMC: Otavio

AML: V. Moses

AMR: Lacazette

ST: Destro

Started a game with Roma. First impressions -the defence is as leaky as a sieve and we can't pass to save ourselves. At the moment the AI shoots and it scores almost every time. De Sanctis seems incapable of saving anything. Much work to be done with no cash.

Starting Line up:

De Sanctis

Maicon Benatia Castan Balzaretti

De Rossi Strootman

Pjanic Totti Bastos

Destro

Just loaded up an old Roma load, its FMC but the aim is to go with a completely Italian squad, January transfer window in season 2 has just closed. Finished 4th in the 1st Season, 5 off Milan in 3rd but a whopping 19 behind Juventus.

You seem to be building a great squad there, reminds me of a very successful all-Italian save I had on FM10. :thup: How did your second season end?

Currently enjoying a Roma save. After 4 seasons with AC Milan winning everything I fell out with the new chairman and quit. After spending one seasons unemployed the Roma job came available so i applied and got it. Currently sitting on top of the table in first season with 10 games to go :-) This is what my team currently looks like:

Go win that title! Any chance of some screenshots of how your young players who started at Roma (and De Rossi!) developed?

Started a game with Roma. First impressions -the defence is as leaky as a sieve and we can't pass to save ourselves. At the moment the AI shoots and it scores almost every time. De Sanctis seems incapable of saving anything. Much work to be done with no cash.

What kind of system are you playing? If you want feedback on your tactics you're welcome post a screenshot of your tactics up anytime. :thup:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Started a Roma save about a week ago as my first on FM14, been playing FM12 for the last couple of years so it took a lot of getting used to!

After a lot of deliberation about what team to be I chose Roma mainly because of their balanced squad and some nice looking youth prospects (Jedvaj, Capradossi, Parades, Pjanic, Ljajic, Florenzi etc). My aim was to focus on bringing in promising youngsters early on and allow them to develop with the team. On beginning I noticed that Destro was out for the start of the season which came as a shock, so my main priority was getting in a new striker as Ljajic or Totti wouldn't fit the bill for me.

I brought in Michy Bastshuayi from Standard as I thought he was a steal compared to some of the other options I was looking at (Muriel, Doumbia etc) and he got off to an amazing start with a hat trick in his first game! Since then he's tailed off slightly but I feel he will really come into his own next year when he's got a better supply line.

The other main signing I made was Kevin Kampl for around £4m which I thought was good value for a versatile, well balanced player with some room to develop. Also I needed a RM who could keep the ball better than Gervinho, who I mainly use as an impact sub.

My only other signing was Rugani as although I already had a number of excellent young CB prospects I thought he was a steal and I plan on using a 3 CB formation in future.

My starting tactic was an assymetrical 4-1-2-2-1 with the aim of playing this line up:

GK: De Sanctis

RB: Maicon

CB: Benatia

CB: Castan

LB: Dodo

DM: De Rossi

RM: Kampl/Florenzi

CM: Strootman

AM: Totti/Pjanic

LW: Ljajic

ST: Batshuayi

I found it hard to incorporate Totti without leaving the team massively unbalanced and that seemed about right. My 'No Totti' tactic was a basic 4-5-1 with Pjanic slotting in next to Strootman in the midfield.

A few games in I was getting decent results without any outstanding performances, particularly from Totti which I found disappointing. With the main formation it seemed like he was very isolated and with his lack of pace wasn't getting the space to work his magic. So, I tried out a 4-1-2-1-2 diamond with Totti as Trequartista either with the front man or just behind the two. This has resulted in me having much more control in games and I sit top of the league by 9 points, which I feel is more due to my opponents taking points off each other and the amount of goals from set pieces I seem to get, but I won't complain.

I was just wondering what other people's experiences with the two Giallorossi legends in the team, Totti and De Rossi. I've mentioned the struggles I had with Totti but I've been surprised with De Rossi's lack of performance and large number of mistakes, leading me to favouring Naingollan (sp) in the big games. I'm thinking of selling him as Man City seem interested and he is on massive wages.

Didn't realise there was a Roma thread :D

@Trac'orBoy I bought Kampl as well, but in January second season for £5m and he was incredible. Really helping me win the league! RW was my lacking area and often having to play people out of position to fill it, he came in and made all the difference.

I retrained Dodo to LW, he got his first Brazil cap and then PSG bought him for £38m. Now in my 3rd season and I have raked in some money in the past summer;

Dodo: £38m - PSG

Benatia: £17.5m - Chelsea

Ljajic: £35m - Monaco

Nainggolan: £21.5m - Atletico

Ljajic: £35m - Monaco

Knocked back bids of £40m for Florenzi, he is never leaving. What an amazing player. I brought in a lot of players to improve the squad including Lukaku, Depay, Rotariu, Kovacic, Santon, Verratti, Musacchio and Jung... with Courtois joining on a free at the end of the season. So will be able to offload Valdes for £30k less wages a week!

I was just wondering what other people's experiences with the two Giallorossi legends in the team' date=' Totti and De Rossi. I've mentioned the struggles I had with Totti but I've been surprised with De Rossi's lack of performance and large number of mistakes, leading me to favouring Naingollan (sp) in the big games. I'm thinking of selling him as Man City seem interested and he is on massive wages.[/quote']

Totti was my top scorer in the first season with 20 something goals. Will be finally losing his wages this season though, as he will join as a coach at the end of his contract hopefully... as he is a player/coach currently.

De Rossi has been solid as a BWM(D) behind a midfield duo.

Trac'orBoy - Doing very well there, keep it up. I've always struggled to get Totti to perform as well, although De Rossi always does well for me as a DM(D).

Ty - How did Dodo and Ljajic(x2) end up looking in your save? Those definitely are some fantastic prices for them. Also, Florenzi. :cool:

On another note, for the FM15 thread, I'll probably not be getting the Beta version so it may not be until the Demo is out that I have it up. Is it better to post the thread up as soon as the Beta is out so people can start discussing (although some sections, mainly to do with player profiles, will be incomplete) or just wait until I have the whole thing written?

After winning the league, everyones reputation must of been boosted and the offers come flying in.

Here is Dodo; http://i.gyazo.com/aa81bb29dccc2c64ee8ea6453d4ccb1a.png ... I really wanted to keep him, and kept rejecting £30m, then £35m offers... but I couldn't turn down £38m. I brought in Depay and Rotarui for less than that for the same position.

Here is Ljajic; http://i.gyazo.com/11c4012f834a6f814a98e7ab527609ea.png ... I could never really find a proper place for him, he was either played upfront or shoved LW when Dodo needed rest. I wanted to keep him to play upfront when Totti retired, but in the end Lukaku was available for £30m so took the £5m profit. Lukaku has been phenomenal.

This is the squad I am working with;

GK: Valdes/regen Italian 16 year old 4* - Valdes was free, but with Courtious coming in on a free, I'll sell him in the summer.

RB: Maicon/Jung - Maicon is coming to the end of his contract and hes still fantastic, not sure hes worth £90k a week still though. Got Jung on a free :cool:

CB: Jedvaj/Masucchio

CB: Ramognoli/Capradossi

LB: Santon/Antonelli - Santon was £10m from Bayern, Antonelli impressed with his loan spell first season and picked him up on a free second season.

CDM: De Rossi

CM(AP): Verratti/Kovacic - £32m for Verratti and £17m for Kovacic.

CM(B2B): Florenzi/Strootman

RW: Kampl/Kusk - Kusk hardly plays.

LW: Rotariu/Depay - Really can't choose between them yet, so rotating.

ST: Lukaku/Destro/Totti - Lukaku first choice, Destro for rotation (although if PSG offer £35m, I'll get Berardi in) and Totti as a glory player when we're winning.

:D pretty much it at the moment.

Received a bit of extra money for changing my expectations midway through and want to spend it on a new young GK as although he has won me games single (or should that be double?) handedly, De Sanctis makes far too many howlers to be my Champions League 'keeper. Got my eye on Horn as he's got all the necessary attributes as well as great distribution and has a release clause of just £3.8mil.

Who did other people get in as their main 'keeper? I've seen a few people have opted for Valdes but I'm keen on keeping as many people under £100k a week for as long as possible (hence thinking about getting rid of De Rossi.

Received a bit of extra money for changing my expectations midway through and want to spend it on a new young GK as although he has won me games single (or should that be double?) handedly' date=' De Sanctis makes far too many howlers to be my Champions League 'keeper. Got my eye on Horn as he's got all the necessary attributes as well as great distribution and has a release clause of just £3.8mil.

Who did other people get in as their main 'keeper? I've seen a few people have opted for Valdes but I'm keen on keeping as many people under £100k a week for as long as possible (hence thinking about getting rid of De Rossi.[/quote']

De Sanctis was horrendous for me too, so many howlers that I actually got angry a couple times :D

I got Valdes in on 70k a week, now I have Courtois coming in on a free for the 4th season on 50k a week... with a 4* star 16 year old Italian regen as his back up. Valdes hopefully I can get £5m out of :thup:

ST: Lukaku/Destro/Totti - Lukaku first choice, Destro for rotation (although if PSG offer £35m, I'll get Berardi in) and Totti as a glory player when we're winning,

Update on striker situation.

Destro left to PSG for £28m in January 2016. I brought in Berardi for £30m straight away, I made sure to get a bid accepted before letting Destro go. Not making that mistake again. Totti has just retired at the end of this season (15/16) :( didn't let him leave the club, he is now a coach. That now leaves my strike force of Lukaku/Berardi, with a 4.5* regen who looks class as the third fiddle.

Next up, that magical number of £35m has been hit again... this time Kampl leaves the club after almost 18 months here. Man Utd bid £35m, which now leaves my RW spot wide open again with no natural RW's at the club. Thankfully... Lamela is on his way back home :cool: £55m.

Just about to start my second season, thought I'd give a little update.

Cruised to the title last year with Milan, Juve and Napoli all going through bad patches of form while I was consistent (probably due to me only having the league to focus on after getting knocked out at the first opportunity in the cup). Going into the next season with Champions League on the horizon I wanted to make sure my squad was ready to challenge on all fronts.

Started by selling the vast amounts of players that were on loan last year who aren't going to develop into anything useful, along with having to settle for a mutual termination of borrielo's contract (93k?!?!?!) to free up some wages. Managed to get 9m up front for Gervinho which I snapped up after he was useless for me last year. The only other 'big name' to be sold was Destro for 16mil, unfortunately 12mil of it is being paid over 48 months but I needed to free up a space.

The reason I needed to free up a space was because I saw Jovetic on the transfer list and thought 13mil for someone who'll improve my team straight away was too good to turn down. Also brought Eder Alvarez Balanta in to replace Leandro Castan who was sold in January last year and Stefano Denswil as back up as he was only 3.5mil. Securing a good value loan deal for Allan Nyom to provide back up for Maicon completed the spending on my defence.

Summer spending was completed with the 20mil (15mil over 48 months) signing of Leon Goretzska as I like getting future worldies in as soon as possible. Would've preferred Cristante from Milan but I think the wanted upwards of 30mil for him. Has anyone managed to get him to come to Roma? Looks amazing at only 18.

Really looking forward to getting the season underway now!

Borriello was a drain on my wages, refused to pay him £5m to leave though so just saw out his contract!

Destro just couldn't get firing for me, internationally scoring freely... for me (and now PSG) he doesn't. I refuse to sell when its over 48 months, limits ability to bring in a replacement.

I am really loving this save, I am gutted FM15 is here so soon :( getting a really nice young core of Italians, with the majority of the Italian team being from Roma.

Archived