FM14 Plug and Play 'Under Pressure'

My tweak for chrissy' way is going well so far. Played 3 games so far.

4-0 (a) vs Getafe (4cccs)

3-0 (a) vs Milan (10 cccs)

5-1 (h) vs Elche (7cccs)

Seems to have retained the defensive stability that chrissy already had and the nice, slow building play which the was already evident in the tactic. But it appears I have made it slightly more potent upfront. Early days though, it could well turn ugly very soon haha

• Replies 371
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My tweak for chrissy' way is going well so far. Played 3 games so far.

4-0 (a) vs Getafe (4cccs)

3-0 (a) vs Milan (10 cccs)

5-1 (h) vs Elche (7cccs)

Seems to have retained the defensive stability that chrissy already had and the nice, slow building play which the was already evident in the tactic. But it appears I have made it slightly more potent upfront. Early days though, it could well turn ugly very soon haha

pls upload your tweak for chrissy' way and post your training.

I tweaked Chrissy's Way into the pressure balanced tweak.

Real Madrid and Barca are the sort of teams this tactic will cause carnage with Jimmy, so tweaking it to make more offence moves is commendable idea.

However, for smaller clubs, the balanced or chrissy's way tactic are important as you can get opened up on the counter if you give the ball away too much.

pls upload your tweak for chrissy' way and post your training.

Haha hold up mate, i haven't played with it anywhere near enough to bother uploading it. You guys will all slate me when it doesn't work :/ Anyway, don't wait for me the original chrissys way is more than good enough, the results i posted were using solely chrissy's way with no tweaks. I just thought with a top team i should be playing with more risk, but its perfectly fine as is mate. Going to play some more today with it and see if it holds up.

Real Madrid and Barca are the sort of teams this tactic will cause carnage with Jimmy, so tweaking it to make more offence moves is commendable idea.

However, for smaller clubs, the balanced or chrissy's way tactic are important as you can get opened up on the counter if you give the ball away too much.

Yeah mate, loving it atm. Might jut give up on my tweak testing and use your pressure balanced as its the latest version but i'll see how this goes first. Just glad i've finally found something i can enjoy a long term save with lol. Btw not sure if you've made the link but its me you've been talking to on twitter with crags and ben dobson :)

Interesting concept, how would you create a tactic based on similar concepts but based around players with high creativity and technique?

I am trying to create a tactic using a formation with more lines, like 4231 or 41221. The aim should be to control possession and work the ball into the box and pressure immediately when loosing the ball, whining it back as high up the pitch as possible.

I'm using a lot of similar instructions as you do, but can't get my players to press properly, probably has something to do with not using a rigid philosophy. How is it possible to create a tactic around pressure without sacrificing fluidity in attack?

Interesting concept, how would you create a tactic based on similar concepts but based around players with high creativity and technique?

I am trying to create a tactic using a formation with more lines, like 4231 or 41221. The aim should be to control possession and work the ball into the box and pressure immediately when loosing the ball, whining it back as high up the pitch as possible.

I'm using a lot of similar instructions as you do, but can't get my players to press properly, probably has something to do with not using a rigid philosophy. How is it possible to create a tactic around pressure without sacrificing fluidity in attack?

The tactic can be slightly amended for creative players. Just go into team instructions and change the instruction "more disciplined" to "more expressive".

By keeping a rigid philosophy you essentially keep the players on task. By changing the team instructions to make them expressive, they will deviate, with the desired reaction/consequences.

Do you think it would affect the tactic if you take the AML and AMR DW down to ML and MR DW position? If you have a good team you say the tactic with 3 defenders is good?

**** me, haven't seen you on these forums for ages :S You used to tweak mr houghs' tactics?

(sorry to deviate)

Do you think it would affect the tactic if you take the AML and AMR DW down to ML and MR DW position? If you have a good team you say the tactic with 3 defenders is good?

The pressure balanced one is good with all teams in all honesty, from the Skrill North to the EPL. Tried the AML/AMR switch to ML/MR but the point is we pressurise as high up the pitch as possible. Less mistakes get made by the opposition if you move them deep and the defence can they receive the ball (fullbacks) form the GK without being hassled.

The tactic can be slightly amended for creative players. Just go into team instructions and change the instruction "more disciplined" to "more expressive".

By keeping a rigid philosophy you essentially keep the players on task. By changing the team instructions to make them expressive, they will deviate, with the desired reaction/consequences.

But doesn't the rigid philosophy make them work less as a unit, something that is desirable when pressing?

Hello... which tactics of this theme is the best?

Chrissys way or pressure balanced

Bad news!

Using Chrissys ways and, for the last 10 games or so, my more fluid/risky version of the same tactic I managed to overturn Barcas lead and establish a 6 point margin ahead of them with 6 games to go. I had scored 100 goals in the league at this point and had qualified for the semi finals of the champions league. Benzema had 30 odd goals, Ronaldo 40 something, Bale had 17 and Di maria had 10. My surprise player of the season who i brought back from loan after xmas, Jese, had somehow got about 18 goals in 18 appearances and was the CL top scorer, despite not playing any games in the group stages.

Then my save bloody corrupted......

For some reason my game wasn't using the rolling auto save even though I had asked it too. Luckily (but not fortunately enough), i made a backup the other day, but this did mean that i had to go back 10 games or so. So i'm currently not very motivated but making it a mission to replicate the success I had up to the point where my game crashed.

Hopefully by tomorrow I can finish the season... :/

Using my "Risky" version of Chrissys way:

zlxk.png

dl3o.png

Getting good results, just like the save before it corrupted. Not completely happy and still tweaking and seeing what works. Props to chrissy for inspiring me to get involved tactically in fm for the first time in a while!

Using my "Risky" version of Chrissys way:

zlxk.png

dl3o.png

Getting good results, just like the save before it corrupted. Not completely happy and still tweaking and seeing what works. Props to chrissy for inspiring me to get involved tactically in fm for the first time in a while!

Well done mate...looks as though your becoming a right tinker man!

Good to see your enjoying the game again! If you need stuff testing give me a shout and i'll see what I can do for you!

Well done mate...looks as though your becoming a right tinker man!

Good to see your enjoying the game again! If you need stuff testing give me a shout and i'll see what I can do for you!

Yeah, i know, can't believe this is the first proper save i've had since i bough the game. Hadn't even played past christmas in a save before this point

Unfortunately, it seems the more fluid and risky i make this tactic the less defensively stable it is. That and it just seems like the defenders don't want to close down and actually tackle players so it's like a double whammy. I'm getting like 7cccs on average a game but still conceding. Secondly you get that game every once in a while where the opposition are just all over you, even though you have the better form and the better players.

Think i'm just going to stick with the 2 tactics chrissy has made, as the tweaking is getting a little tedious too in light of the flawed ME :/

Jimmy the more you make them expressive and creative the more they deviate from the tactic. Its nuts but in comparison think of Dortmund. They are a team that works/runs non stop and pressurises much the same way I have tried to achieve with these tactics, but if one player was allowed to deviate, it would cause havoc defensively.

You're right mate. You already found the perfect balance between attack, defensive stability and pressure.

Here is my latest result using the original Chrissy's way:

3n9o.png

And here is the league table (actually better than my pre-corrupt game save):

qm8l.png

Going to continue with the original and then try out the pressure balanced next season:)

End of my first season with the new tactic and romped the championship with Brighton - 107 points and wrapped it up with 8 games to go. Cant be bothered to go online to upload pics so GK if you want images I can supply link to a forum where Ive put it up (Is it ok to do it here?)

End of my first season with the new tactic and romped the championship with Brighton - 107 points and wrapped it up with 8 games to go. Cant be bothered to go online to upload pics so GK if you want images I can supply link to a forum where Ive put it up (Is it ok to do it here?)

yeah link them dude

Just want to say a big thank you to Killie. It's an impressive tactical work and a very nice approach.

I'm one of those "average" player who are exploiting work of guy like you. I'm not very proud of it. I would prefer rather create my own tactic but don't have time and energy (and talent) to do this.

So a big thank you!

I'm playing Barcelona with your balanced version (and sometimes while leading 3 or 4-0 the timewaste one).

While thinking about this post the 14.1.4 patch was released and regarding the fixed issues I've decided 2 things :

- removing the MC from the first post.

- keeping offensive corner to short. The "exploit" has been removed, but while this tactic is based on pressing and possession, I think this is a coherent choice.

When the tactic will be fluid, and when I will feel confident with my tactical skills I will try to move to a more "Barcelona" approach, using a 4-1-2-2-1. Maybe by changing cross from near post to far post (sorry for bad english words, but in french we say : "premier poteau" and "deuxième poteau".

Anyway. Killie. Thanks very much and keep sharing your "work" and useful advices.

Just want to say a big thank you to Killie. It's an impressive tactical work and a very nice approach.

I'm one of those "average" player who are exploiting work of guy like you. I'm not very proud of it. I would prefer rather create my own tactic but don't have time and energy (and talent) to do this.

So a big thank you!

I'm playing Barcelona with your balanced version (and sometimes while leading 3 or 4-0 the timewaste one).

While thinking about this post the 14.1.4 patch was released and regarding the fixed issues I've decided 2 things :

- removing the MC from the first post.

- keeping offensive corner to short. The "exploit" has been removed, but while this tactic is based on pressing and possession, I think this is a coherent choice.

When the tactic will be fluid, and when I will feel confident with my tactical skills I will try to move to a more "Barcelona" approach, using a 4-1-2-2-1. Maybe by changing cross from near post to far post (sorry for bad english words, but in french we say : "premier poteau" and "deuxième poteau".

Anyway. Killie. Thanks very much and keep sharing your "work" and useful advices.

please can you explain "removing the MC from the first post. "

Keep the corners the same. I prefer retaining possession and working the ball into the box rather than a random cross.

This is exactly my idea. The only thing I've done is removing the 2 players in first post for defensive corner.

The tactic is still working very well with new patch, I will say even better.

Oh no, there has been an update! *Quickly turns steam to offline mode*

Think i'll hold out on updating until i know what tactics are working with the latest patch, enjoying this save far too much to ruin it.

Almost at the end of my madrid season, 2 games to go ( one of them being the champions league final).

Keep your eyes open for results and screenshots to follow shortly :)

Okay, finally finished my season as R.Madrid. I can say nothing other than it was a fantastic season, and this tactic really helped me achieve the aims I set out to accomplish at the start of the season.

We won the league quite comfortably in the end. I was using a different tactic for the first 10 league games and it left me about 6 or 7 points off barca and i was trailing massively in terms of GD. Using this tactic we caught up with them sometime after Christmas, we were able to hold our position and slowly but surely (due to the consistency of the tactic) open up a substantial lead. Here is how it ended:

hn8z.png

Here are the season stats. Unsurprisingly Ronaldo had an awesome season and consistently scored throughout. Also note benzema and jese' places on the top scorer list.

hibp.png

We also beat Barca in the semi-final of the Spanish cup. However, we unfortunately fell to our rivals Athletico Madrid in the final, even though we were all over them. They came back from 2-0 down to win it...Gutted!

xgtc.png

hc33.png

After that loss I made it my goal to make sure I won the champions league to add to the league title which was at this point not mathematically won, but it was looking increasingly likely to be ours. Strolled past AC Milan and Benfica in the last 16 and the quarters and booked a place in the semis. It was only here that i noticed the possibility of a potential Spanish cup final re-run which could occur in the CL final if i beat my next opponent in the semis, Chelsea. Spurred on by this possibility my team pulled out all the stops. (Notice the aggregate scoreline too!)

94n4.png

We sailed through and anticipated a final clash against Athletico. We dominated the game and bombarded them with shots throughout. It took a long time, even extra time, but eventually none other than Ronaldo came up with the goods and a Bale special followed shortly afterwards. Not only was this sweet revenge but also a very satisfying double. Here's how it ended.

zfba.png

1fwv.png

Below are my team stats. As you can see Benzema, Jese, Morata, Ronaldo, Bale and Varane were on fire. I was a little disappointed at the lack of goals from di maria, but he provided vital assists throughout the season, so I was happy with his actual performances. Khedira, Illaramendi, and Isco all played well and you can see this from their average ratings. Modric was a metronome in midfield and helped control the centre of the park for us- he was 3rd place in the balon d'or. Xabi Alonso, my captain, and one of my favourite players also had a fantastic season.

fwzf.png

Here is an image of Carvajal' attributes just to show you the effect and thus the importance of doing individual training. Only a youngster but is slowly developing into a world class right back. (Exciting prospect in real life too). This is just one example of the development of my squad.

nzi0.png

JESE! I've never seen a performance like this from a youngster before. As i said, i originally started the game using a different tactic. This tactic only used 1 striker and so i sent Jese on loan and was confident in rotating my 2 strikers, Benzema and Morata. However, once i moved to this 2 striker formation, it was imperative i had more strikers available to rotate. For a while i managed with just 2 strikers and occasionally played Ronaldo (HATE PLAYING RONALDO AS A STRIKER UNLESS NECESSARY) or Isco upfront. Eventually it dawned on me that I could just call Jese back from loan, and even if he wasn't very good, it meant i could use him as and when i needed to give the better players a rest. I recalled this lad and he arrived back to the club on the 1st of january...now take a look at the screenshot (paying particular attention to the amount of goals he scored and how much his stats developed)

8nb6.png

7yh3.png

20 league goals in 20 league games for the 21 year old who didn't even play the whole season. Not to mention a further 10 goals in cup competitions in an additional 14 appearances. That's just ridiculous. He will certainly be a player for the future of my team in this save. His performances even earned him a cheeky place in the spanish national team for the world cup, displacing a disgruntled David Villa. Jese and Benzema just worked amazingly well together, and I could make the case that Benzema only really got firing (33 goals in total) when Jese arrived. Morata too was solid, and initially i favoured him of all my strikers , but the performances of the other two just began to out shadow him. Still, Morata' goal tally is a testimony to his ability in light of the decreasing number of appearances he had towards the end of the season. Lewandowski is coming in on a free next season and this will give me a chance to send Morata on loan to get a full season' worth of first team football. So, great season, new contract signed, new player on the way, motivated by the smell of silverware, i'm all ready to go for next season. Hopefully I can topple Barca again, get a few more victories over my rivals Athletico, and finally win the spanish cup i missed out on.

BTW I used Chrissy' way and will be using pressure balance next season.

Thanks for everything Chrissy mate :)

First of all my congrats for the tactic! It is amazing and I like the style so much! After the patch I´m getting a large number of draws and my team doesn´t create many CCC. Is there any changes to be made for the patch 14.1.4? I´m using the Chrrisys Balanced Pressure. Thanks!

First of all my congrats for the tactic! It is amazing and I like the style so much! After the patch I´m getting a large number of draws and my team doesn´t create many CCC. Is there any changes to be made for the patch 14.1.4? I´m using the Chrrisys Balanced Pressure. Thanks!

D-line amendments and aggression needs checked. Try unticking the "push higher up" and "get stuck in" instead of "stand off more". Those were suggestions from users on the dugout thread.

I myself, will be testing it and tweaking. The D-line/offside issue is there.

Also chuckling my arse off at some of the "rip-off" merchants posting clearly edited versions of this on forums.

Regardless, I'll get it tweaked to fit the current patch. Will retain the pressure and possession concepts.

D-line amendments and aggression needs checked. Try unticking the "push higher up" and "get stuck in" instead of "stand off more". Those were suggestions from users on the dugout thread.

Also chuckling my arse off at some of the "rip-off" merchants posting clearly edited versions of this on forums.

Regardless, I'll get it tweaked to fit the current patch. Will retain the pressure and possession concepts.

Thanks for the tips! I´ve tried some tweaking but haven´t got good results. I will try them!

Cheers

As I suggested earlier..... get stuck in much better.

Sorry I keep hijacking your thread Chrissy, just though this might be useful to some members as I was asked over on fm base. Also, any plans for a tweaked tactic for the new patch?

What individual training did you use for your CMs, Amr/Aml and ST?

I generally went by these guidelines:

Defence:

+All Fullbacks I trained as complete wing backs, as I like my wide defenders to be able to attack and defend no matter who they are and what team they are in.

+ Centre backs who are decent on the ball i trained as ball playing defenders. Think Rio, Ramos, Pique, Luiz. If they aren't star names you have never heard of look at their composure, passing and technique, and if they have potential there already then go ahead and train them as ball playing defenders.

+ All other centre backs that don't appear to have promising stats in the aforementioned areas, or perhaps simply show greater potential in other areas then train them as an out and out central defender.

Midfield:

+ All wingers, whether they are natural wingers or modern day inside forwards train them as inside forwards. This has nothing to do with the position they play in your tactic, rather that training them this way allows them to focus on a greater range of attributes.

+ All creative central/attacking/defensive midfield players who like to control the game statically and/or from deep train them as a deep lying playmaker. Think Xabi alonso, Lucas Leiva, Pirlo, Carrick, Xavi.

+ All creative central/attacking/defensive midfield players who like to control the game further up the field and in a more forced manner train them as an advanced playmaker. Think Fabregas, Ozil, Modric, Canales, Isco.

+ All other central/attacking/defensive midfield players who don't specialize or show potential as an all round player train them as box to box midfieders, as it incorporates training for a range of attributes. Here train players like Khedira, Cleverly, Fellaini, Pogba, Busquets, Mascherano and Yay Toure. Basically, this setting is to train players you would normally see as simple central midfielders, box to box mids and ball winners. So use your heads here to judge it.

+When you have a player like Wilshere, Ramsey, Canales, Montolivo, who are capable of controlling the game from deep and further up the pitch, and can also be effectively in winning the ball then technically you should train them as box to box players. However, I don't as i think this wastes some of their more developed stats. Here i would judge it by my personal preference of where i want them to play, and also how they would naturally play irl and according to their ppms. So whilst whilshere can dictate the game from deep i'd still train him as an advanced playmaker (regardless of where i play him in my tactic). Again, Ramsey and Montolivo are capable of controlling the game from further up the pitch, however i'd still train him as a deep lying playmaker.

Attack:

+ As a general rule all forwards should be trained as complete forwards. This is literally so that they train up as many stats as possible and become all round machines. The only exception i ever make to this is when the player is so clearly an out and out type of players, or he is physically restricted to training as a complete forward, in this case i would use train them as an advanced forward. So players like Falcao, Rooney, Lewandowski, Benzema, Drogba, Aguero, Holt, Lambert, Welbeck etc i would set to train as complete forwards. When you have a player like Javier Hernandez whose size restricts him then just train him as an advanced forward as this will form him into effectively an "all round poacher".

+Here i would also consider someone like Klass Jan Huntelaar, who is a slow poacher who relies on his tacitcal and positional ability to get into scoring opportunities , to be trained as an advanced forward. This would increase his poaching attributes and give slightly more dimension to his game.

Special Exceptions:

+ When you have a world class player, and I mean really world class and he plays either on the wing, in the amc position or upfront. Then here i would train that player as a complete forward too, regardless of if he is actually playing upfront in your tactic or not. This is because the player has shown the potential to max all his attacking attributes and as such should be trained to achieve this goal. It is important to consider the strength of not just his technical stats, but also his physical and mental attributes. Here I would train Ronaldo, Messi, Muller, Reus, Neymar and if you have any player that resembles a 2004-8 version of Kaka or a Sneijder type player who just falls into the category of being a number 10. This is for when the player is playing in any attacking position and is so good he transcends being confined to one type of role, as such we train him in everything.

Please make sure you don't just train a player like bale, di maria, nani, robben and ribery here as whilst they are amazing players, they don't necessarily show the potential in attributes that they can play in amc/l/r and upfront. Players like the first batch i mentioned (Ronaldo, neymar etc) have the ability in technical, mental and physical stats to be able to be an all round attacking machine.

Which one should I try with Tottenham?

Thank you.

I used Chrissy' way in the season review a few posts up, similarly many over on fm base have detailed their success using the same tactic. However, Chrissy would recommend that not only should we use the pressure balance tactic but that it is also the best. Similarly, I would suggest using pressure balanced too, and I was about to use it in my next madrid season. However, I will say that I haven't tried either tactic on the new patch, simply because i haven't had time to play yet :)

I am having some interesting experiences with the new patch.

Using the latest balanced version of the tactic with Venezia (predicted to finish 7th in Serie 1/A) I have started a new save. The attacking football, with modest players, has been fantastic, and by DecemberI was four points clear at the top. Even then, I hadn't kept a clean sheet all season. An 8-3 defeat (!) at AlbinoLeffe was the start of a slump in form, and with 10 games to go I am seven points off the top. Defensively I'm conceding an average of 2.1 goals a game, with nearly all of them the result of set pieces or long balls over the top. I'll try pushing up less and 'getting stuck in' a bit more to see if this helps

I've had some positive results with the balanced tactic by changing it to 'overload' and 'direct passing'. Goes against the theory behind the tactic, sure, but just passing on my observations :)

That is not against the theory of pressure mate. Possession aye, but this was always about pressure.

Ok got it sussed. Will have it out in next 24 hours.

Keen for this! Got my Madrid save on hold at the minute and have been playing around with Spain in a fun save to see what weird and wonderful tactics i can come up with.

Ready for the new season though, brought in Lewandowski on a free, shaqiri to give me another option on the wing as i noticed it was quite demanding only having 3 wingers available in a tactic which requires 2 every game. Also brought in Danilo. Decided to move Arbeloa on, and although caravajal is looking to become the best rb in the game for me, i thought i'd still need some good competition for him.

the updates that they release often ruin everything indeed.

I also had a nice game to update, scored a lot of goals and dominated by tough away games.

I played with Ajax and won 5-0 at home to Manchester City. my striker had after 25 games around 50 goals. every game I had about 10 excellent opportunities.

I hope someone who can bring new patch cracks and which replaces the old. A brilliant tactic on your feet

Archived